Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, in the most literal sense it does mean "another world" since it's just written with the kanji of "another (or different/strange, something like that)" and "world" (though I guess you could use "world" in the same way as something like "realm").

I do think stories that don't necessarily involve literal other worlds should still count as the genre, though. Stuff like "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" is basically isekai.

many isekai are simply "transported into a post-apocalypse" in disguise.
planet of the apes is an isekai too, I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you'd think so, but it turns out it was earth all along.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
In one of the isekai threads there was like 3 pages about every piece of media that's actually an isekai

Honestly surprised there hasn't been more mainstream takes on the concept, like that Beatles one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you'd think so, but it turns out it was earth all along.

Oh my god, so I was wrong?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Bremen posted:

So, I gave this a try, and within the first few chapters the MC is reincarnated into a race of fox people who all have enormous breasts (including the men) and a racial trait about how they can nourish themselves off each other's milk. I think that's probably enough for me; my experience with webnovels is when they're weird it's a bad idea to stay around to see how bad it gets.

Nitrousoxide posted:

That was a red flag for me when I read the synopsis originally. Nothing comes of it though. It is just setting dressing and the MC is essentially asexual, and no other characters make anything of it.

Just wanted to second this. It seems to be a worrying inclusion, but there's no actual problem that it ultimately leads to. They even aren't the only foxkin race, and the others don't have that trait. You find out a little more about how it came to be that way, but it's such a minor thing it's an errant thought.

It really only comes up at the start, while the MC's very young and still breast feeding. Once that passes it never really comes up again except when the MC evolves her race.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Yinlock posted:

That was obviously a highlight but I think there's still a good few high points. Like (novel spoilers)the jaunt through elf forest that somehow ends with millions of lifeforms dead, or time being rewound to the start of the story but everyone Takatou killed are still dead anyway.

e: also when the group are being relentlessly hunted by elite fighters and it just turns into a complete clown show

(novel spoilers)He does rack up a pretty big body count in the elf forest, mostly from the entire goddamn space armada coming after the intercelestial bounty on his head, but the actual body count you're probably thinking of came earlier on the sea voyage over, when he was fighting the centuries-old wizard who was simultaneously all of his genetic descendants.

They only really start realizing the scope of that body count as they progress through the elf forest, because I guess the dude hosed a tree at some point? Wizards, man.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I powered through the chapters of let's buy and cultivate the land that were horribly translated(even though they improved, it's still not great) and I still like it, it's fine popcorn isekai

I also just really like the idea of the pantheon of gods having smartphones

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I also just really like the idea of the pantheon of gods having smartphones

Communicating via messengers turned into birds or Hermes got really old centuries ago.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
read thru first chapter of The Other Worlder Exploring the Dungeon

i like the many races in the book so far, and them presented with having varied cultures and gods, and the dungeon town is a melting pot of sorts so far.
MC seems pragmatic enough. And isn't overpowered and has no cheats as of yet, he's just armed with limited amount of guns and ammo, and an AI that's half broken most of the time

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
don't worry, it drops every single interesting aspect soon enough.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

This should be the subtitle for the thread.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Acquire slave, drop intrigue

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

I remember the manga adaptation stopped after, like, the first arc. I take it the novel takes a downturn?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
all at once, the mc is magically granted archery skills and elf wives. then he starts his radical new dungeon delve innovation that wows everyone who witnesses it: carrying a bunch of extra cooking supplies along for relatively lavish meals. there's no weight reduction, space bag, pack animal, etc. just humping around a bunch of pots and pans and groceries. it's truly a mystery why no one else thought of this amazing method for dungeon delves.

so basically, his task goes from completely hosed to completely doable. that's where i dropped it.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Omobono posted:

By the way, was Takatou even aware of the thing or did he kill it on pure autopilot? Probably the former but it's quite unclear how much the human shaped body he's inhabiting limits him.
In the latest book it implies that he is sortof a failsafe for the entire infinite multiverse, because there are all sorts of gods that get the bright idea to just start destroying all other realities, but when they hit his, he instantly kills them, thus stopping any multiverse pruning.

Omobono posted:

For me the best thing is how Takatou's mom in the flashbacks and Dannoura in the present are completely at ease with him. "This dork is Death?", you can see them thinking. Here goes all existential dread about mortality, because who could ever be scared of him.
(all the assholes, but they don't count)
The flashback to dealing with the 4th dimension walking guy was the best defeat I think. All the eyes.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

https://mangadex.org/title/3b999f4a...i-wo-musou-suru

Interesting story thus far. Dude is Isekai'ed into a fantasy world, beats the demon lord, then all the people are like "NO WAAAAAAY he's too strong! We can't trust him! Let's execute him for being too strong!" which is, y'know, somewhat typical.

However instead of going on a revenge quest or whatever he gets killed and revives... in an alternate japan. In someone else's body. So it's both familiar and unfamiliar to him. He's been granted a new chance at life and so on and so forth.

Only 10 chapters so far. Hard to say if it'll stand out or not but I mean at least it doesn't have a slave harem so might be worth keeping an eye on.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Isekai Thread: At Least it Doesn't Have a Slave Harem, Yet

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Glazius posted:

(novel spoilers)He does rack up a pretty big body count in the elf forest, mostly from the entire goddamn space armada coming after the intercelestial bounty on his head, but the actual body count you're probably thinking of came earlier on the sea voyage over, when he was fighting the centuries-old wizard who was simultaneously all of his genetic descendants.

They only really start realizing the scope of that body count as they progress through the elf forest, because I guess the dude hosed a tree at some point? Wizards, man.

Right, the weird soul parasite hivemind wizard was what I was thinking of. Been a while since I read it so I forgot when exactly that went down.

ianmacdo posted:

The flashback to dealing with the 4th dimension walking guy was the best defeat I think. All the eyes.

Oh man I forgot about him, that guy gets it super rough even though he absolutely deserved it.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 17, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

all at once, the mc is magically granted archery skills and elf wives. then he starts his radical new dungeon delve innovation that wows everyone who witnesses it: carrying a bunch of extra cooking supplies along for relatively lavish meals. there's no weight reduction, space bag, pack animal, etc. just humping around a bunch of pots and pans and groceries. it's truly a mystery why no one else thought of this amazing method for dungeon delves.

so basically, his task goes from completely hosed to completely doable. that's where i dropped it.

the ol bait and switch. sure i could keep going with this interesting premise, or i could throw it out to focus on how cool i the protagonist is and have everyone lose their minds over okay food

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

khy posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/3b999f4a...i-wo-musou-suru

Interesting story thus far. Dude is Isekai'ed into a fantasy world, beats the demon lord, then all the people are like "NO WAAAAAAY he's too strong! We can't trust him! Let's execute him for being too strong!" which is, y'know, somewhat typical.

However instead of going on a revenge quest or whatever he gets killed and revives... in an alternate japan. In someone else's body. So it's both familiar and unfamiliar to him. He's been granted a new chance at life and so on and so forth.

Only 10 chapters so far. Hard to say if it'll stand out or not but I mean at least it doesn't have a slave harem so might be worth keeping an eye on.

The entire prologue is basically a ripoff of FSN Archer up to and including the MC's motivations so at least it's relatively sensical.
Anyways you buried the lede which is he comes back in a Japan that's about 10 years after he left it and now there's monsters and superpowers on Earth too so he inevitably ends up having to use his own (vastly OP) abilities while trying to keep a low profile.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kyte posted:

The entire prologue is basically a ripoff of FSN Archer up to and including the MC's motivations so at least it's relatively sensical.
Anyways you buried the lede which is he comes back in a Japan that's about 10 years after he left it and now there's monsters and superpowers on Earth too so he inevitably ends up having to use his own (vastly OP) abilities while trying to keep a low profile.

So it's basically a super sentai manga in disguise?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's really bad at keeping it a secret to bullies (so he can give them their comeuppance) and hot girls (so they can be impressed by him). so, pretty standard.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Nitrousoxide posted:

So it's basically a super sentai manga in disguise?
more like modern fantasy stuff, I guess?

he's really bad at keeping it a secret to bullies (so he can give them their comeuppance) and hot girls (so they can be impressed by him). so, pretty standard.
he's bad at keeping it a secret in general, but I don't think he's trying to impress anyone. obviously there's a girl that's a potential love interest because this is a manga but it's not overly gratuitous imo.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i know this genre isn't typically fantastic at actual storytelling (unfortunately), but i have an orthogonal request:

recommend me some stories that focus on interesting and well-considered mechanical systems that don't devolve into Gamer-style 'here is a big stat sheet to look at' infodumps?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

ungulateman posted:

i know this genre isn't typically fantastic at actual storytelling (unfortunately), but i have an orthogonal request:

recommend me some stories that focus on interesting and well-considered mechanical systems that don't devolve into Gamer-style 'here is a big stat sheet to look at' infodumps?

It's exactly isekai, but it's VRMMO power-fantasy: Shangri-La Frontier

https://mangadex.org/title/29ab6984-7c1d-4d45-b925-25aa082b492e/shangri-la-frontier-kusoge-hunter-kamige-ni-idoman-to-su?tab=chapters

Plot premise is that the MC has played so many trash VR games with terrible mechanics and bugs, that when he plays a VR game with good mechanics he's godlike at it. It also doesn't stick with the main game all the time, there are a few arcs where he plays other stuff

e: it's been awhile so i skimmed the first few chapters and i think it takes a bit for them to get mechanic dumpy in an interesting way. I think it's a great read and is more interesting than a lot of other stuff in the same genre

Fellis fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 19, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fellis posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/29ab6984-7c1d-4d45-b925-25aa082b492e/shangri-la-frontier-kusoge-hunter-kamige-ni-idoman-to-su?tab=chapters

Plot premise is that the MC has played so many trash VR games with terrible mechanics and bugs, that when he plays a VR game with good mechanics he's godlike at it. It also doesn't stick with the main game all the time, there are a few arcs where he plays other stuff

e: it's been awhile so i skimmed the first few chapters and i think it takes a bit for them to get mechanic dumpy in an interesting way. I think it's a great read and is more interesting than a lot of other stuff in the same genre

It's also getting an anime soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XmM7YZjPSc

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
speaking of super sentai manga, it seems like Red Ranger Isekai isn't be updated anymore on mangadex, which sucks because it's one of my favorites.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Captain Invictus posted:

speaking of super sentai manga, it seems like Red Ranger Isekai isn't be updated anymore on mangadex, which sucks because it's one of my favorites.

man, if we spent all our time on only the good stuff, then we won't make any progress on this whole stack of harem isekai over here. priorities

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ungulateman posted:

does Kono Sekai ga Game da to, Ore dake ga Shitteiru count?

That's the one which has interesting and well-considered game mechanics (from a narrative standpoint), but they're mostly interesting and well-considered in terms of how lovely the programming is for the game world he's trapped in.

The protagonist takes a perverse delight in breaking the game world even further in order to accomplish unfair or impossible tasks, so most arcs end with a anticlimax after he insists on doing everything in the most absurd possible way

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 19, 2023

khy
Aug 15, 2005

ungulateman posted:

I dunno if this fits the bill or not.

https://mangadex.org/title/958e98b6-c63c-4309-b912-d91a0c9f12e1/manuke-na-fps-player-ga-isekai-e-ochita-baai

The MC is playing a VR FPS game when he falls off the map. When he wakes up he's in a fantasy world. He retains his FPS abilities (Able to summon guns, ammo, a power suit, etc) but at the same time he has to use currency to buy more ammo, restock on supplies, etc. Meanwhile he's completely incompatible with the magic system in the world he's in which causese all kinds of troubles for him.

There's no 'stats' really. Sometimes there's infodumps about the guns and equipment he uses but they're not really fantasy stats and more just info about bullets and poo poo. What I really love about this though is the protagonist having to deal with the existential crisis of having gone to another world where people die and it's not all just a game. Very not cutesy. Eventually he finds out he can't return home and has a mental breakdown and it's not just handwaved off as a minor inconvenience like in most other Isekais, but a major deal to him

khy fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 19, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
started reading 'The Amazing Village Creator

I do love village building isekais. Though its one of the ones were I'm like "does this really need that hint of isekai, where its just an excuse for easy leaps in logic and explanations in technology. I think the MC doesn't even really remember, its just the system uses more modern tech. for the village upgrades than the initial setting as his cheat.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

khy posted:

I dunno if this fits the bill or not.
This one's fun. Thanks!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Feeling a little called out by this weeks Greatest Estate Developer: https://m.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-greatest-estate-developer/list?title_no=3596

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I wanted complete two laps of lunges level 1 but fatfingered depression 1 instead :v:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
A bunch more of I'm Really Not the Evil God's Lackey just dropped on Mangadex. It's a lot of boring housekeeping stuff with the customers, and then he gets a new assistant.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fellis posted:

Yeah, this is a series that understands what people get out of gaming, and it manages to give the main character a unique hook in the MMO without turning it into a win button or even being unique - the code is supposedly there for anybody to trip, but only this Awful Block superstar actually went and did it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this series is in the popular section and it seems fine. Translation is rough but I'm basically just here for Hippolius, the adorable baby hippo earth dragon

Zero conflict that isn't instantly sorted, entirely popcorn fluff, but it's also nice to have a series where the demon king-slaying hero's party are friends and not backstabbing each other etc

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Monster update for Onee-sama and the Giant

So it wasn't just Hinako that Junko had sunk her claws into. She deserves everything coming her way and it seems that the outcome of this fight was previously not in her favor enough not to have to reset twice. Or maybe the price of victory was just too steep. Either way can't wait for the carnage in the next chapter.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Brought To You By posted:

So it wasn't just Hinako that Junko had sunk her claws into. She deserves everything coming her way and it seems that the outcome of this fight was previously not in her favor enough not to have to reset twice. Or maybe the price of victory was just too steep. Either way can't wait for the carnage in the next chapter.

Oh that is a brutal cliff, gdamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brought To You By posted:

I'm lost. This flashback is inconsistent with the previous one, is this implying Hinako is an unreliable narrator?

EDIT: Nevermind that isn't Junko dying in the new flashback. I need to reread this series