Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nah man that's about right. poo poo I had a dealership out here asking 12 for one with poo poo paint body issues and way higher miles. It went off to auction because it never sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MetaJew posted:

Truck in the UK meaning an 18-wheeler or box truck, or truck like an F150?

Either way that's scary. Glad you weren't hurt.

I once got stuck behind a stalled metro bus on I-45 in Houston and traffic on either side was going 65+ mph. No one would yield and let me get out from behind the bus. At one point I saw an 18 wheeler coming at me in my rear view mirror and swerve around at what felt like the last minute. Very spooky as I was in my 240sx and probably would've been killed had they hit me.

Dunno quite how many wheels but yeah, one of the large lads actually used to transport things.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Not for 70k miles if it’s actually a clean car. Hell I’d consider buying that to swap out my 220k miles NA

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I have a little tiny puddle of moisture in my NA's trunk, as far as I can tell there's no reason it would have formed a leak/no sign there's a problem with the trunk gasket seal on that side of the trunk (although we have had a lot of rain/damp conditions for a couple weeks), and the battery looks like a cold beer can left sitting out on a hot humid day. :what:

Do AGM batteries sweat?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How's your antenna hole?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ether Frenzy posted:

I have a little tiny puddle of moisture in my NA's trunk, as far as I can tell there's no reason it would have formed a leak/no sign there's a problem with the trunk gasket seal on that side of the trunk (although we have had a lot of rain/damp conditions for a couple weeks), and the battery looks like a cold beer can left sitting out on a hot humid day. :what:

Do AGM batteries sweat?

I have been getting this too up in Seattle where it has been quite rainy. I have resorted to some desiccant in the trunk that seems to have workedish. I had condensation on the underside of the trunk lid and the center carpet was damp.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Miata AGM batteries will vent gas as they charge, but I'd imagine if there was enough to condensate on the battery, you'd also have some corrosion happening. And there should be a vent tube to connect to the battery, preventing this from happening.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

tater_salad posted:

How's your antenna hole?

That's a bit personal, sir

I'll check it, I guess it's not impossible it's doing a super slow dribble through a tiny crack there and puddling on the trunk floor then condensing on the sides of the battery due to temp changes/overly humid LA behavior lately.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Do AGM batteries sweat?

It was the 3rd brake light seal on mine when I had a small amount of water in the trunk.

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post
I had to replace the gasket around both tail lights with caulking cord recently as the foam just kinda turned to dust.
After that, no more water in the trunk- but in my case it was a LOT of water.
Rain sloughing off either side of the trunk gets channelled right at the tail light gasket so even a small amount of rot will let it through.
(i know i could have gotten actual gaskets but caulking cord was on hand, and I'm stubborn)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

tater_salad posted:

How's your antenna hole?

NSFW this please.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Is it kosher to link to for sale listings in this thread?

It’s time to say goodbye to my 2015 NC - had to buy something more practical with an automatic and 4 doors, and since I only drive 2-3 thousand miles a year I can’t justify keeping two cars…

About 22K miles (not a typo), 6 speed, fully loaded Grand Touring trim with zero issues. White paint, black soft top and leather. Excellent condition with a few unnoticeable parking lot dings I’ll point out in photos if it’s okay to post them.

I’m the second owner since March 2019 and have maintenance records (lol just oil changes, new battery, fuel log, windshield wipers, and previous owner replaced a flat).

Completely stock aside from a nice dash cam because I’m terrified of Austin drivers. This car has (sadly) not seen any track time.

Would rather sell to a goon with a discount than some Craigslist dipshit that’s gonna wrap it around a tree… I’ll update with a CL link if I’m not breaking any rules or feel free to PM me if I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
You might also post it in the AI Marketplace thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402

(I'm not a mod, I don't care if you post it, just trying to help you get more eyes on it)

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So just got my first flat tire (front passenger side) thanks to one of Colorado's recent nasty potholes :argh: The TPMS went off right as I was getting home. I was tempted to use the tire repair kit that came with the car, but just decided to have roadside assistance come by tomorrow and hold onto the kit for now.

I was wondering, how is the tire repair kit in the ND? Is it good enough, or are folks carrying around other repair kits/systems that fit in the trunk? I've never had to use one of these kits before so the practice might not be a bad idea, although it looks relatively straightforward. Also, should I be getting anything else checked after having hit this pothole? Hopefully the wheel is fine and they can just patch the tire tomorrow quickly, and I'll drive around town for a bit, see if anything seems off with the alignment/suspension. Anything else I should be keeping an eye out for?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2020 ND2 kit aka carry a roadside assistance policy

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Do those fix cans leave weird gunk all over the wheels? Do they have a shelf life?

That kit seemed kinda cheap so I carry a ryobi portable inflator [I'm always using those batteries so I swap in a fresh often], wrench/wheel socket, zip ties, poncho and few other things in a small bag in the trunk

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Yeah, tire shops won't patch tires that have tire sealant in them because the patch won't stick reliably. I think they might also mess up tpms sensors too.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah that kit is to get you out of a dangerous situation and get you home so you can get a new tire put on.

i'd probably never run a patched tire on one of these things anyways

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
XM/Sirius antenna: gone (gently caress off to hell)

Dual band ham antenna for the radio I got in yesterday: installed

No additional holes, waterproof, looks like a little RC car now.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Sure, now.

Kidding. I like it. Is there anyone worth listening to on ham radio or is it all just truckers talking about the weather/prostitutes?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ah thats unlicensed CB, which is pretty much that. ham stuff is much more formalized and there's good chatter to help eat up highway miles, plus they're renowned for being roadside rescue types if i'm out of cell range or something

i'll post pics of the install when the rest of the parts come in. Little control head up on the dash (smallest one i could find) plus i'll be running an 8 gauge power run alllll the way back to the trunk. Not my first rodeo doing car wiring tho.

Also my uniden DFR9 with remote mute button comes in tomorrow, so that's going in as well. gotta have a decent fuzzbuster - though i will confess, i set the car's 'you're speeding!' ding to 10 over, and it's really good at helping me keep my foot out of it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I completely forgot ham and CB were different things.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I've been driving a stupid rental Challenger for the past couple weeks and it's so nice to be back in my car, especially since I got my snow tires on and it snowed a bit last night :getin:

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

GOD IS BED posted:

You might also post it in the AI Marketplace thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402

(I'm not a mod, I don't care if you post it, just trying to help you get more eyes on it)

Almost forgot to circle back here - cross-posting the Facebook Marketplace link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1620386951730699/

Buy my boat!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Pissingintowind posted:

Almost forgot to circle back here - cross-posting the Facebook Marketplace link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1620386951730699/

Buy my boat!

drat, that's a low mileage boat!

Good luck on the sale, fellow Austin goon.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

MetaJew posted:

drat, that's a low mileage boat!

Good luck on the sale, fellow Austin goon.

I know - that’s one of the reasons why it has to go :(

We live right downtown and only drive like 2K miles/year… Since we now have a bigger boat that **my girlfriend** can actually drive (automatic 440i Gran Coupe), the poor Miata won’t get driven enough to justify keeping it. This is what getting old looks like.

Are there any goons with cars meetups in ATX? Saw you posting about COTA in your RF a few pages back - did you end up going?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Where the frick do BP4Ws leak oil from? Mine has managed to spring a leak which appears to be coming from behind the cam belt cover. I guess I have what, 3 options here? Cam, crank and oil pan?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Pissingintowind posted:

Are there any goons with cars meetups in ATX? Saw you posting about COTA in your RF a few pages back - did you end up going?

Edge Addicts never emailed me back if they would even let me drive without an aftermarket roll bar. Then we had this ice storm last week, and I lost power for 62 hours and all the food in my fridge and freezer, so here we are.

I'd like to do a track day once. Autocrosses feel like a big waste of time, but they're easier to attend.

My friend that does track days every other weekend up in DFW suggested some group that goes to Harris Hill, but that doesn't seem as fun. Although it is a lot cheaper.

Edit: don't know about car meetups at all, but there are more goons in Austin than I realized.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Finished my project. if you're curious about what to do with the ND[2] trunk lid hole when you rip off the stupid shark fin

you can install a ham radio in your impractical tiny car!

I ran 8 gauge wire all the way back (insanely easy - hood latch cable hole had extra room in the firewall; rest was similarly straightforward). 50 amp fuse under the hood:

Featuring a cameo by SOUND TUBE

Now i can listen to and talk to old nerds when i'm in my car for old nerds

Final thing is wiring up the radar detector with the nice harness with the mute button and such - because dear god does it need it. There are so many fuckin robot doors and lane departure radars out there

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 9, 2023

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

If it’s good enough for Christian Von Koenigsigg, it’s good enough for me:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/christian-von-koenigsegg-still-drives-the-1992-mazda-miata-he-bought-at-19

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Where the frick do BP4Ws leak oil from? Mine has managed to spring a leak which appears to be coming from behind the cam belt cover. I guess I have what, 3 options here? Cam, crank and oil pan?

Just finishing up replacing the cam and crank seals. Found some oil behind the cam backing plate thingy so hopefully that's now solved. Didn't seem like much but then again the car has been sat long enough for it to drain down to the bottom of the oil pan.

Weather is supposed to be sunny tomorrow so I'm hoping to take the hard top off and go for a joyride out in the country.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thoughts on window tint for a (black) nd2? it might look a bit more murdered with the top up but i have concerns with it looking stupid if top is down and windows are up

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is tint even allowed on driver's window? I probably wouldn't do it on a Miata anyway.

What kind of bulb/LED do I need for the instrument cluster backlight? IL motorsport seems to think this thing but they don't specify what type it actually is, and I'm not paying $12/bulb anyway

https://www.ilmotorsport.de/en/mx-5-clear-bulb-instrument-cluster-4848/2053

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jonny 290 posted:

thoughts on window tint for a (black) nd2? it might look a bit more murdered with the top up but i have concerns with it looking stupid if top is down and windows are up

my nd is tinted and it's hard to tell unless if you are specifically looking at the edge of the glass

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah i may go lighter with it (co lets you do any window, live free or die bithc)

pickin up smoked side markers this week i think

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
NC is 35% on fronts/passenger cars, the one i have is 38% to make sure that it'll pass inspection

there's probably much fancier stuff out now, though

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I think I posted before but I can’t remember and still struggling with what I want to do (especially like taking apart the valve train is well a lot for in the street). I have lifter tick pretty bad on my 220k NA8 and some stuff I had seen was like attempting to clean the lifters and reoil them can work but it would seem to me if I am that far deep into the engine I should just replace them? But then also the lifters look like they are $80-$100 a pop which I am also not sure I would want to spend $800 on it. I also saw people talking about just change the oil with rotella but uh that seems not ideal either? Anyway what do goons say?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I don't have direct experience with a lifer tick on these engines but I've done the trans fluid trick a couple times on beat up V8s. It's a hokey old mechanics trick but you just replace 1qt of oil with cheap Dex3 and get it heated up all the way and see if the lifter frees up, then do an oil change. It's preferred against using engine cleaners or flushes on tired engines because they could cause leaks or make existing ones much worse.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It’s a design flaw/feature. You can pull everything apart or just kinda deal with it.

Rotella T6 is good. vOv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Rotella with velveta and spicy sausage is a delicious dip.