Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Heran Bago posted:

I get less hitching in modern Unreal engine games on my Steam Deck than on my gaming PC.

Yeah this is like the single biggest problem with unreal and can make a beefy gaming pc run like poo poo, which is why I asked.

Good to know it should be decently ok on the deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Has anyone used one of these? Are these type of keyboards any good?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Jordan7hm posted:

I don’t get what’s wrong with midnight suns, but I tried it again yesterday hoping the fact it had been patched and now is verified would solve all my issues… and it hard crashed the deck when it hit a cutscene. I really liked what I played of this game, but if I can’t play it on the steam deck, I’m just not going to play it.

Only steam game to have done that so far.

Are you interested in trying some things to get it to work? With the help of a goon, I’m able to play the game with no crashes.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Jordan7hm posted:

I don’t get what’s wrong with midnight suns, but I tried it again yesterday hoping the fact it had been patched and now is verified would solve all my issues… and it hard crashed the deck when it hit a cutscene. I really liked what I played of this game, but if I can’t play it on the steam deck, I’m just not going to play it.

That's weird. I just picked it up and having no issues besides the game generally runs kinda crappy on medium settings outside of the battles. All the battles generally run 40 fps+, but the Abbey stuff has a lot of jank. Fun game though!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm trying rdr2 for the 3rd time and I finally beat chapter 1 for the first time wooo! Game is ok so far. Some of the game seems a little tedious but I'm going to stick with it and see if it starts clicking

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

RC Cola posted:

I'm trying rdr2 for the 3rd time and I finally beat chapter 1 for the first time wooo! Game is ok so far. Some of the game seems a little tedious but I'm going to stick with it and see if it starts clicking

Once you get used to the Worst Controls A AAA Game Has Ever Had its great.

It’s like Rockstar wished they had a controller with twice as many buttons on it and decided to compromise in all the weirdest ways.

Pro tip: make sure you take a second to organise your guns when you get on your horse to go somewhere because sometimes the game has helpfully put away everything except your pistols so you’ll hop off the horse to go shoot at some fools and surprise there’s no rifle there anymore, that’s back on the horse.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Once you get used to the Worst Controls A AAA Game Has Ever Had its great.

Counterpoint I absolutely love the way RDR2 controls and feels.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oh yeah once you get used to it it’s great, everything is very deliberate once you wrap your mind around them.

You have a button to go “Hey Mister! :v:” at every single person you pass by, 10/10 GOTY

Edit: sometimes you go to do a hey mister and forget you haven’t holstered your weapon so you point it at them instead and poo poo goes south, 11/10

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Squiggle posted:

Counterpoint I absolutely love the way RDR2 controls and feels.

Counter-counterpoint I don’t

It’s overly complex and weighty for basic tasks and overly simplistic and loose for the dumb shooting galleries

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JackDarko posted:

Are you interested in trying some things to get it to work? With the help of a goon, I’m able to play the game with no crashes.

Yep, I’ve enjoyed what I’ve managed to get working, and would be happy to take advice to help prevent future crashes.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Yep, I’ve enjoyed what I’ve managed to get working, and would be happy to take advice to help prevent future crashes.

Roger that, if you don’t have a data cap maybe uninstalling and reinstalling would do the trick. I’d ensure you have your save file or cloud save working as I think Sons doesn’t by default.

The fixes I’ve seen work are the top suggestions here. https://www.protondb.com/app/368260

You’re going to want to run CryoUtilities and set VRAM to 4GB along with updating the launch options to d3d11.

This provides instructions for CryoUtilities.

https://youtu.be/od9_a1QQQns

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RandolphCarter posted:

Has anyone used one of these? Are these type of keyboards any good?

We have one that looks almost identical to that one, though it's not wireless. Works fine, if you're gaming using a standard key-binding (like not having to type a lot). I'd say 95% of the time, a given game is good with just those keys shown. Once in a while, some game will have you needing to use the B, M, or P keys for something.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Lord Bob posted:

And to elaborate further - the shaders in the game aren't changing - the shaders created by the developers and bundled into the game can't actually be directly run on the hardware. They have to be compiled for your specific graphics card model (and driver version and etc), which can happen at any point in the runtime of the game and will take an amount of time (a few millseconds, a few frames worth) which will cause the game to hitch up waiting for the shader compile to complete before it can finish rendering the next frame.

Because steam deck has the same graphics card across all models you can reliably pre-compile the shaders and download them off the network to save you from having to compile them on the deck, and thus saving you from seeing the frame-hitching that the compile process will cause. You could theoretically do the same on regular PC, but because the hardware variations are so vast it becomes less practical to have to store and offer for download so many variations (when the only real performance boost is that you save a few frame hitches here and there)

Note that Valve does do this on regular PCs, but instead of distributing pre-compiled shaders for specific video cards, they distribute the graphics pipelines the games use and compile it to native shaders on your PC.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Got a new Jsaux case with enough room to hold a dock or battery under the deck, also has a kickstand; created a lil play and charge station:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

Final Fantasy XIV. :getin:🀄

Technically correct is the best kind of correct :getin:🀄

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Tamba posted:

Technically correct is the best kind of correct :getin:🀄

I disagree.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jordan7hm posted:

Oh snap, I didn't see it had moved to verified. Sorry it's not working for you, hype to try it for myself.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Oh snap, I didn't see it had moved to verified. Sorry it's not working for you, hype to try it for myself.

In the event you haven’t seen, it’s a free to try weekend for the game! Hope you dig it.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
By the way, if anyone hits the same issue I did where CEMU doesn’t work without a network connection, updating to the latest GitHub prerelease fixes it. That was an unfortunate discovery during my flight but thankfully fixing it was easy enough.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Talorat posted:

By the way, if anyone hits the same issue I did where CEMU doesn’t work without a network connection, updating to the latest GitHub prerelease fixes it. That was an unfortunate discovery during my flight but thankfully fixing it was easy enough.

Is it up for quick flatpak download or do i need to find it manually?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hey so it looks like Micron is getting some of their 2400 Series 2230 2TB drives finally out to the wild to more than a handful of people and places.

ShopBLT Has the 2TB drive on BackOrder for $157 which I feel is finally a pretty fair price for a 2TB 2230 upgrade for the Deck.

Have one on order so hope to clone the stock one over and finally be able to stop having to play storage shuffle (for a bit at least).

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah I don't know how they messed it up, but to get it working you need to increase SWAP file size for some reason. You originally also had to force load with DX11 and use a specific proton build, but I'm not sure if those are still necessary. Increasing the SWAP file size is pretty simple and done automatically through over utility you can install on the deck, and also improves performance on most games for me. It's literally something screwy with the cutscene transitions, which is where it would originally always crash. With the fix, I noticed that the game would run nicely around 40 frames per second, but immediately as a cutscene was ending, the fps dropped to 1 and the deck fan immediately kicks onto super high speed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CryoByte33 has released a new version of his tool which will boost even more performance than before, supposedly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9EjXYZUqUs

Might as well give it a shot.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

sigher posted:

CryoByte33 has released a new version of his tool which will boost even more performance than before, supposedly:

Thanks for this! Updated it and just ran the recommended settings.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 20, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sigher posted:

This kicks rear end

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kinda at the stage where I've done so much loving around in Desktop mode that I wanna flash the entire deck back to stock and then do these new boosts

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Kinda at the stage where I've done so much loving around in Desktop mode that I wanna flash the entire deck back to stock and then do these new boosts

Yea I’m kind of with you on that

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Anyone have the SD do double duty as a media player on planes/travel also? Considering replacing my iPad Pro on my next vacation and curious to hear the experience of using it in this way. Battery life, screen size, etc.

Are there Plex/Netflix/etc apps or will I need to use a Linux media player to play my own files?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love the Steam Deck but it seems really bad for anything but gaming. Especially if you got an iPad Pro.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TraderStav posted:

Anyone have the SD do double duty as a media player on planes/travel also? Considering replacing my iPad Pro on my next vacation and curious to hear the experience of using it in this way. Battery life, screen size, etc.

Are there Plex/Netflix/etc apps or will I need to use a Linux media player to play my own files?

You can add the Plex or Netflix websites as shortcuts in Steam and set up controls for them through Steam Input. I use Plex on mine and it works perfectly. I would probably not use it over a tablet though unless I absolutely couldn't take 2 devices with me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I love the Steam Deck but it seems really bad for anything but gaming. Especially if you got an iPad Pro.

This was my initial thought, actually. Hoping to get some feedback from those who have more mileage though.

njsykora posted:

You can add the Plex or Netflix websites as shortcuts in Steam and set up controls for them through Steam Input. I use Plex on mine and it works perfectly.

How about for offline use, such as on an airplane?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can do a local install of Plex or Jellyfin or whatever and that would work offline, they have gamepad support so they should control fine on the deck also. I think its a profoundly bad idea but its something you can do. I'd try it out and track the wattage beforehand, I think you're gonna have dramatically less battery life than an ipad.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Man the stalker games are battery hogs.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I personally use KODI to do all my streaming/offline multimedia watching across platforms. It's all addon based though so some level of tinkering is required first, unless you're just watching video files on your device.

Deck's is great if you like to watch and play at the same time running multiple apps and quickswitch between them.

Battery life watching video is about 8 hours of continuous playback. But I carry around a power bank so it's like 64 hours total for me.

Vic fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 20, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RandolphCarter posted:

You're boned if there's lots of CPU-heavy stuff going on, like STALKER doing its dynamic NPC activities thing

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

sigher posted:

Quick question while I watch this, as I'm not familiar with it at all: will it get in the way of any decky plugins? I'm sorry if that's completely stupid and they're like apples and oranges with regards to stuff being installed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RandolphCarter posted:

Cheeki breeki

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Quick question while I watch this, as I'm not familiar with it at all: will it get in the way of any decky plugins? I'm sorry if that's completely stupid and they're like apples and oranges with regards to stuff being installed.

No it won’t. Decky is it’s own thing. The changes in this video are like super OS level stuff that decky doesn’t interact with.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Barreft posted:

Is it up for quick flatpak download or do i need to find it manually?

For Emudeck it’s an AppImage. So you need to go into the Emudeck application, tools, then update AppImages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Cheers, thank you! Gonna grab it next time it's on sale.

and it's on sale today for $17.99!