Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Looking at the lineup please Gerard, please put Kravtsov back in and make the 4th line Motte-Goodrow-Vesey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

WeaponX posted:

Motte is an effective 4th liner, Gauthier is useless in that role. He is built like a brick shithouse and can skate real fast but doesn’t defend well, has zero hockey sense, cant line up hits effectively and has hands of stone. He has one move, crash the net and cut across and 90% of the time he fires it right over the top bar. Unless he puts it together and becomes a middle-six scoring winger, Motte is far more useful to NYR at this point. Their 4th line has been a black hole all season.

Gauthier’s 9 points is 2 less than the 11 that Watson/Kelly/Gambrell have in a combined 136 games lol

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i'd never ever thought I'd say this but it's a bit bittersweet to see Gauthier go. he still has some ways to develop, but this is the first season in which he's looked like an actual NHLer. He's like a (very) poor man's Michael Grabner--not exactly the prototypical bottom sixer, but has enough speed and individual skill to produce goals by himself. he's certainly an NHLer now, and he could still develop into a more useful one if he's consistent. he's also really really good at drawing penalties. I would imagine the logic for Drury was something like "Motte is more consistent, can play outside the fourth line in a pinch (Gauthier absolutely cannot. And I mean cannot like cannot more than almost any other player I've seen. he's a line killer), and can kill penalties".

I was going to say especially that it's bad a little to lose Gauthier's very good ability to draw penalties especially given our power play talent...but drat it looks like Motte is actually somehow even better and like almost McDavid-level at that this season?

Matt Zerella posted:

Looking at the lineup please Gerard, please put Kravtsov back in and make the 4th line Motte-Goodrow-Vesey.

I think that ship has sailed and they seem to like Goodrow more on the wing than at center. Vesey has been legit great in a top 9 role and deserves to be there too IMO. I'd rather get some type of useful 4th-line center, try to keep Kravtsov for depths/injuries and go:

Kreider-Zibanajeda-Tarasenko
Panarin-Trocheck-Vesey
Laf-Chytil-Kakko
Goodrow-(useful 4th line C)-Motte
ex: Kravtsov

Bjugstad seems like a nice target IMO.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 19, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Ron Hainsey rental literally helped them win a cup lol.

I was more referring to moving lots of picks and prospects and it eventually coming home to roost

The Pens won their cups so I regret none of it but this is the end result of all of that

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Kreider-Zibanajeda-Tarasenko
Panarin-Trocheck-Vesey
Laf-Chytil-Kakko
Goodrow-(useful 4th line C)-Motte

4 more years on that Goodrow contract, yuck

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The Dirty Burger posted:

4 more years on that Goodrow contract, yuck

It's a really tradeable contract though

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

fawning deference posted:

It's a really tradeable contract though

Speaking of tradeable

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1627396363943088133?s=46&t=l0Ehgaaunb0RIvbdAvUi8Q

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/NHLBlackhawks/status/1627397617448546305?s=20

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Gauthier is fast and good at transitioning the puck sometimes and often looks like “drat if he could just put that last piece together” but he seems unable to
Maybe if he’s forcefed minutes he’ll produce some but I doubt it’ll be efficient

But he’s not bad really just maybe still
Not the “ideal” fourth liner

Would rather they ditch letsytian or however it’s spelled but gauthier isn’t a big loss either so eh

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Loved him last year. I'm happy to have him back and he PKs too.

Now for the love of god Drury get rid of Leschyshyn and find some way to get Vesey off the first line.

Problem is they got Leschyshyn entirely (besides being a nepo-baby) to win faceoffs and he is good at that. Of course as you know, he is completely useless at anything else. Goodrow is abysmal at faceoffs so I think we are stuck with this guy unless they find a new option at 4C.

Brodzinski is in the org, is decent at FOs, and is better than Leschyshyn but for some reason they refuse to play him at center when they call him up.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Gauthier’s 9 points is 2 less than the 11 that Watson/Kelly/Gambrell have in a combined 136 games lol

Hey if you can give him consistent middle six minutes and find a system that works for him, he is a decent gamble. Has all the genetic and physical advantages, could maybe figure it out. Just no spot on NYR except as a Gallant-4th-line-shutdown-winger which he is his absolutely not suited for despite his size.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 19, 2023

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
St Louis’ goalies are a literal nazi and Jordan Binnington, good lord

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/cmasisak22/status/1627404563623075841?s=20

please please

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

More than a little surprised that an NHLer acknowledged long covid as a thing and that only a small minority of the comments blame ~the vaccines~. A quick search only reveals articles from a year ago about Brandon Sutter taking ivermectin to try to cure his long covid, which I guess didn't work for some reason.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Dirty Burger posted:

St Louis’ goalies are a literal nazi and Jordan Binnington, good lord

a giant angry shrieking manchild and Thomas Greiss

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shame to see it happen to one of the 100 greatest players of all time but 3 time cup winner, triple gold, smythe, and $114 million career earnings... I think I'd be wanting to focus on health over a game at that point, too.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/cmasisak22/status/1627414578283053056?t=JRlX5Ra1ORJTq6o_v3tsQw&s=19

God dammit the Meier stuff is killing me

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

uh huh sure

trade-related upper body injury

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

I was more referring to moving lots of picks and prospects and it eventually coming home to roost

The Pens won their cups so I regret none of it but this is the end result of all of that

Holding on to picks now doesn't make a lick of difference. The Pens traded for their last NHL level 1st rounder in Kapanen and look how that's going. I don't think anyone in WBS is really worth much of anything either. Everyone that has gotten a look on the big team thus far has been bad. There is nothing of value. Fix the bottom 6. Run it back. Whatever lets go.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah Hextall's scouting is dogshit anyhow.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

eXXon posted:

More than a little surprised that an NHLer acknowledged long covid as a thing and that only a small minority of the comments blame ~the vaccines~. A quick search only reveals articles from a year ago about Brandon Sutter taking ivermectin to try to cure his long covid, which I guess didn't work for some reason.

I legit forgot about Brandon Sutter until you mentioned him, and I’m a Canucks fan

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Holding on to picks now doesn't make a lick of difference. The Pens traded for their last NHL level 1st rounder in Kapanen and look how that's going. I don't think anyone in WBS is really worth much of anything either. Everyone that has gotten a look on the big team thus far has been bad. There is nothing of value. Fix the bottom 6. Run it back. Whatever lets go.

Yeah anything should be on the table but that said picks do turn into prospects and prospects have trade value too.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mike Works posted:

I legit forgot about Brandon Sutter until you mentioned him, and I’m a Canucks fan

Would you rather remember Brandon Sutter?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Realistically it doesn't matter what the Penguins do because they're an 8 seed battler with the oldest roster in the NHL and no prospects in the AHL. If cleaning out the last forgotten pack of crackers in the far dusty reaches of the cupboard in a last effort to maybe if everything breaks right reach the second round really turns you on then cool I guess. It doesn't do anything for me, the team is about to totally collapse and at this point I'd rather they keep their draft picks to start rebuilding with.

I do understand that they probably have an understanding with the geriatric stars they just re-signed that they are going to continue to Go For It. But another couple years of picks-for-vets is going to push the most optimistic time horizon to the next contending Penguins team to drat near a decade.

Crosby/Geno/Tanger era was A++++. It's over and it's time to get the rebuild started IMO.

TNABuffalo
Apr 4, 2011

I don't care what he makes, thank God for Jeff Skinner. Lmao

https://mobile.twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1627390060122480640

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Realistically it doesn't matter what the Penguins do because they're an 8 seed battler with the oldest roster in the NHL and no prospects in the AHL. If cleaning out the last forgotten pack of crackers in the far dusty reaches of the cupboard in a last effort to maybe if everything breaks right reach the second round really turns you on then cool I guess. It doesn't do anything for me, the team is about to totally collapse and at this point I'd rather they keep their draft picks to start rebuilding with.

I do understand that they probably have an understanding with the geriatric stars they just re-signed that they are going to continue to Go For It. But another couple years of picks-for-vets is going to push the most optimistic time horizon to the next contending Penguins team to drat near a decade.

Crosby/Geno/Tanger era was A++++. It's over and it's time to get the rebuild started IMO.

You can't do a rebuild as such with all the veteran players they have signed to long term deals. You could do a retool where you hold onto most of your picks and prospects while still ostensibly trying to win. That seems to be the route they've chosen where Hextall isn't going to move most of their top assets unless it's for a player they feel can help them in the future. First rounders or top prospects for rentals seems like something Hextall does not want to do.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Eric the Mauve posted:

I’m sure it’ll be easy to move 30 year old Rust & Rackell’s 6-year contracts for assets

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If you're asking me whether I'd rather have a semblance of fun now or a cabinet full of Owen Pickerings, let me have the fun

Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, and Letang are still super good players, arguably top 10 in their positions still (Maybe not Malkin and Letang but eh)

there is never a guarantee you will have a roster that can make a go of it in the future, regardless of how many draft picks you have. You've got to try while you can

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 19, 2023

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Edmonton Oilers are loving embarrassing.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The Pens can't trade anything because they are cap strapped. You would have to trade what little prospects you have (on a team tied for last place in their division in the AHL) along with a 1st and second to dump salary from someone like Dumo to hope you maybe get slightly better.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Everyone in the NHL other than maybe Carolina or Vegas and now potentially Colorado is in a money in money out situation. That's a dogshit excuse. There is a litany of bottom 6 upgrades sub 3 million dollars before half retained for any number of teams to shop for. Teddy Blueger makes 2.2 million. Archibald is north of a million. Kapanen is 3.2. Heinen barely plays and makes a million. Assuming 50% retained on any rental and you can start by looking at the above players and double their salary. Of course that's before discussions on the draft picks going the other way.

I would consider moving Petterson and playing Smith. Who knows what that might net you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dumo has a strong enough NTC that he isn't going anywhere, even in the event the team wants to move him (which all available evidence is they don't). Carter also has a full NMC. The only tradeable players on their roster making significant money are Kapanen (they'd probably have to attach an asset to move him), McGinn (see Kapanen), Blueger, and Pettersson (no way in hell they can move him unless it's part of a trade for a better LD). Realistically any trade for a vet is almost certainly going to include Blueger going the other way.

Dumo and Zucker are both coming off the books this summer totaling $9.6M of space. They will presumably let Dumo walk so as to carve out the space to re-sign Jarry who is also a pending UFA, and try to re-sign Zucker. Or maybe it'll be the other way around I dunno the vets really adore Dumo. The Pens are one of many teams that bet hard on the cap significantly rising in the coming years, but with the bursting of the RSN bubble that isn't happening anytime soon.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 20, 2023

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Simplex posted:

The Edmonton Oilers are loving embarrassing.

no you see this year is different

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

gently caress the future

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

The Pens are on tract for 7th not 8th and the glaring issue to paper over all the cracks is a 3C that doesn't suck rear end. Which has always been an issue going back to Bonino leaving. Great news. He's available and cheap in terms of cap $. If I wanted to ask for a pony on top of that it would be an actual 3rd line wing contributor that doesn't suck loving rear end instead of Kapanen. Move Kapanen for a Hagelin clone that actually gets zone exits and drives play. There you go now you don't notice Dumo 'cause he isn't in his own zone. Add a 3c that ACTUALLY loving SCORES BECAUSE HOLY poo poo CARTER AND BLUEGER HAVE SOME OF THE ABSOLUTELY WORST SCORING NUMBERS IN THE LEAGUE and bingo bango team fixed.

Like compare the suppression numbers of Carter/Blueger 5v5 and they're fine. Middle of the league. Their goals for split is abysmal because they can not for the life of them score. Kapanan was retained, I assume, because people think because he's 'fast' he can skate for other players. These people are wrong. Kapanen is a vampire of offense. He sucks alllllllllllll of the life out of the play and maybe scores. Years past his xG has been 'fine'. This year it's awful because the other players he has been playing with can no longer provide for him. The biggest thing the Pens need is a Evan Rodrigues type player. If they add 2 of that type of player the transformation will be night and day. Don't even need to touch the defense. Just tell them to chip the puck off the glass on zone exits and have the forwards chase. Problem solved where is my loving check Hextall you gently caress.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
East playoff race is looking pretty fun. TB and NYR have 10 point leads on the 4th place team in each division, but there’s 7 teams that appear to be realistically competitive for the two wild card spots.

Isles have the WC2 right now, but they’re only 1 point up on both Washington and Florida, with about the same numbers of games played. Meanwhile, the Sabres, Wings, and Senators are all only 3-5 points back, but each of those teams has 4 or 5 games in hand on the Isles.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the Oilers are very funny. Jack Campbell with the cool 6 GA on a 2.67 xG and blowing another 3-goal lead

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

bub spank posted:

East playoff race is looking pretty fun. TB and NYR have 10 point leads on the 4th place team in each division, but there’s 7 teams that appear to be realistically competitive for the two wild card spots.

Isles have the WC2 right now, but they’re only 1 point up on both Washington and Florida, with about the same numbers of games played. Meanwhile, the Sabres, Wings, and Senators are all only 3-5 points back, but each of those teams has 4 or 5 games in hand on the Isles.

The East is so lopsided. Six legit good teams and the rest of the conference sucks. I feel like whoever makes it to the top of the poo poo heap for the wildcards is just going to get run over by Boston and Carolina.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The East is so lopsided. Six legit good teams and the rest of the conference sucks. I feel like whoever makes it to the top of the poo poo heap for the wildcards is just going to get run over by Boston and Carolina.

This is prime territory for one or both of Boston and Carolina to get swept.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Hand Knit posted:

This is prime territory for one or both of Boston and Carolina to get swept.

Yeah I thought about that too. Everyone remembers the Blue Jackets doing that to the Lightning, but the Blue Jackets were a 98 point team. They were underdogs for sure, but not bad. The wild card teams this year are legit bad. There's a bigger gap between Boston and the Islanders than there is between the Islanders and the last place Blackhawks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i could see sorokin doing a classic god like goalie on a bad team upsets a top seed

not that i, as a red wings fan, have any experience with this