Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Doing co-op/solo would be much more interesting to me than a more competative game, though I'm not super into horror games.

I did grab Black Ops (Metal Gear Solid Skirmish),. Rogue Stars (Science Fiction skirmish) and Zone Alfa (STALKER-like skirmish), based on reviews on them, and how much I loved Gaslands: Refueled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
According to the Florida lan thread, chitoryu12 passed away recently. If I remember correctly he used to post here a fair amount, so I wanted to pass it along.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
rip goon

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah not much recently but back in the day chitoryu was a regular in the cat piss and gm advice threads. A post is being added to the in-memoriam thread in QCS by an admin, as well. chitoryu12 was a reg in goons with spoons and the book bran too.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

drat, RIP. I haven't seen that name in a while but I definitely remember seeing his posts a lot in the past.

Foolster41 posted:

Doing co-op/solo would be much more interesting to me than a more competative game, though I'm not super into horror games.

I did grab Black Ops (Metal Gear Solid Skirmish),. Rogue Stars (Science Fiction skirmish) and Zone Alfa (STALKER-like skirmish), based on reviews on them, and how much I loved Gaslands: Refueled.

I have Black Ops and Rogue Stars but I have never heard of Zone Alfa but it sounds like my poo poo so I'm going to get it

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
A friend is possibly going to be GM'ing for the first time soon and their group seems likely to be interested in 2e Pathfinder, does anyone have any suggestions for good starter modules?

Arivia posted:

According to the Florida lan thread, chitoryu12 passed away recently. If I remember correctly he used to post here a fair amount, so I wanted to pass it along.

Aw, man, that sucks, I remember seeing their posts. Rest in peace.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rip chitoryu :(

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ah poo poo. RIP.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Rest in peace, goon.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

If you wanted to expand on the other stuff too I wouldn't be opposed, but o yeah holy poo poo more of this.

This might be the exact kind of game I've been hunting for lately.

Cool. I've finished a review/summary of the rules of Last Days here: https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2023/02/review-of-last-days-zombie-apocalypse.html

It is in three parts. I hope to get a playtest in of the solo rules this week, but we'll see. Thanks to the interest from you folks I decided to spring for the expansion Last Days: Zombie Apocalypse: Seasons since the pdf is 40% off right now, so maybe I'll review that one too. Really I didn't need an excuse but whatever.

Kestral posted:

Very interested in your review of Seeds of War. I've read probably half a dozen independently-published "war systems," with or without realm management, and they've all been janky piles of garbage, so I'd dearly love to see one that works, for those times when I can't just run it in Reign/Burning Wheel/Exalted.

Great! My focus is usually on domain management rather than war systems but I'll take a look. It just might take a while for Seeds of Wars to get on my top priority list.

Foolster41 posted:

I did grab Black Ops (Metal Gear Solid Skirmish), Rogue Stars (Science Fiction skirmish) and Zone Alfa(STALKER-like skirmish), based on reviews on them, and how much I loved Gaslands: Refueled.

BattleMaster posted:

I have Black Ops and Rogue Stars but I have never heard of Zone Alfa but it sounds like my poo poo so I'm going to get it

I have Black Ops but have not read it carefully.

I have Rogue Stars and have read it but I never got a chance to play it with friends. I did however watch the series on Guerilla Miniature Games, and to my eye the mechanics with the stress markers and pin tokens felt fiddley to me and bit over complicated. Also the system is not an "I go, you go" affair. It is a "roll to activate a unit until you fail then the opponent gets to react" system and I'm not sure I like it too much. I do find it interesting however. Your mileage may vary. I will however sing praises about the tables in Rogue Stars. The missions, locations, space wrecks, etc. tables in the back are really easy to cannibalize for other systems; and some of the write ups are pretty creative.

Also the book's art is cool.

Rogue Stars playthrough by GMG is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P71OHehKktk

I've only played Zona Alfa twice, but I love it. It is just fun. I played on Foundry (iirc) once and learned the importance of smoke grenades. I wrote up the playthrough experience here: https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2022/05/zona-alfa-entering-zone-airdrop.html

It was pretty funny.

I also did a little optimizing of character creation here: https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2022/05/zona-alfa-preparing-for-excursion-into.html

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

Aw no, they were a good one.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is there anywhere you can download the Leverage RPG any more or is it defunct due to anti-Hardison sentiment among the DTRPG moderator staff?

Or the license, one of the two

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Nessus posted:

Is there anywhere you can download the Leverage RPG any more or is it defunct due to anti-Hardison sentiment among the DTRPG moderator staff?

The license expired years ago, so there's no way to buy it any more.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Nessus posted:

This sounds like there's a story behind it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

I bought Gran Meccanismo: Clockpunk Roleplaying in Da Vinci's Florence because it looked interesting and I am about 10 pages into it. It reminds me of Assassins' Creed 2 (the one in Renaissance Italy) and Mage: The Sorcerers Crusade, both of which I will draw inspiration from when I run it. The storytelling system relies on a bunch of d6s.

Given clockpunk is a flight of fancy of imagining what would have happened if Leonardo created all of his sketchbook inventions and they worked, I did not expect to find inspiration for this setting in today's news.

What if Leonardo had discovered the Laws of Motion in his time in Florence? How would this have influenced war, politics and culture?

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/02/leonardo-noted-link-between-gravity-and-acceleration-centuries-before-einstein/

Jennifer Ouellette, Ars Technica posted:

Leonardo noted link between gravity and acceleration centuries before Einstein

Caltech engineers even re-created his experiment with a modern apparatus.

Caltech engineer Mory Gharib was poring over the digitized notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci one day, looking for sketches of flow visualization to share with his graduate students for inspiration. That's when he noticed several small sketches of triangles, whose geometry seemed to be determined by grains of sand poured out from a jar. Further investigation revealed that Leonardo was attempting to study the nature of gravity, and the little triangles were his attempt to draw an equivalence between gravity and acceleration—well before Isaac Newton came up with his laws of motion, and centuries before Albert Einstein would demonstrate the equivalence principle with his general theory of relativity. [Edited for clarity.] Gharib was even able to re-create a modern version of the experiment.

Gharib and his collaborators described their discovery in a new paper published in the journal Leonardo, noting that, by modern calculations, Leonardo's model produced a value for the gravitational constant (G) to around 97 percent accuracy. What makes this finding even more astonishing is that Leonardo did all this without a means of accurate timekeeping and without the benefit of calculus, which Newton invented in order to develop his laws of motion and universal gravitation in the 1660s.

Other discoveries about Leonardo noted in the article.

quote:

Leonardo produced more than 13,000 pages in his notebooks (later gathered into codices), less than a third of which have survived. The notebooks contain all manner of inventions that foreshadow future technologies: flying machines, bicycles, cranes, missiles, machine guns, an “unsinkable” double-hulled ship, dredges for clearing harbors and canals, and floating footwear akin to snowshoes to enable a man to walk on water.

Leonardo foresaw the possibility of constructing a telescope in his Codex Atlanticus (1490) when he wrote of “making glasses to see the moon enlarged”—a century before the instrument’s invention. And in 2003, Alessandro Vezzosi, director of Italy’s Museo Ideale, came across some recipes for mysterious mixtures while flipping through Leonardo’s notes. Vezzosi experimented with the recipes, resulting in a mixture that would harden into a material eerily akin to Bakelite, a synthetic plastic widely used in the early 1900s. So Leonardo may well have invented the first manmade plastic.

Decades ago, Gharib worked with Oxford historian Martin Kemp, among others, to demonstrate that Leonardo built the first artificial heart valve and tested it, although he did not do so with a human subject. "That got me into Leonardo's way of thinking, from his methods of visualization, to methods of understanding science," Gharib told Ars. "I believe that more than being an artist or an engineer or inventor, he was a scientist, especially in the later time of his life." (In 2005, a British heart surgeon named Francis Wells pioneered a new procedure to repair damaged hearts based on Leonardo's heart valve sketches and subsequently wrote the book The Heart of Leonardo.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arivia posted:

That’s terrible. He seemed like a really nice person and led some great shared experiences here. My condolences to his friends and family.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PurpleXVI posted:

This sounds like there's a story behind it.
Hardison (the character) would absolutely gently caress with the staff of an RPG download oligopoly.

Alternately he would be operating it "as a way to give back."

1st Stage Midboss posted:

The license expired years ago, so there's no way to buy it any more.
RIP

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'm trying to find the name of a game from some years ago (post-2010 but pre-2020).

It was kind of a worker placer, but with the danger of the workers doing something other than you wanted. Theme was generally comedic. One of the placement locations was a meeple tower you could hit with a cardboard hammer to try and get your meeples back out of.

I think it was a German publisher. It showed up at one Spiel but they didn't have copies to sell, and then I lost track. Cursory searches using BGG's advanced search haven't been successful.

e: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/277131/age-dirt-game-uncivilization

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 15, 2023

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Has anyone tried Magpie Games' "curated play" programme? It seems a neat idea for an indie publisher to run pro-GM sessions to encourage play and set an example for their GMs (provided you live in the USA and/or don't have a job) but are they any good?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

hyphz posted:

Has anyone tried Magpie Games' "curated play" programme? It seems a neat idea for an indie publisher to run pro-GM sessions to encourage play and set an example for their GMs (provided you live in the USA and/or don't have a job) but are they any good?

I did one for urban shadows and it was really good, some of my friends have done the longer term campaigns and had a really good time with each of them.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Me when I fudge a dice role to keep one of my PCs from going down

Burnt_toastist
Sep 2, 2020

Kestral posted:

Very interested in your review of Seeds of War. I've read probably half a dozen independently-published "war systems," with or without realm management, and they've all been janky piles of garbage, so I'd dearly love to see one that works, for those times when I can't just run it in Reign/Burning Wheel/Exalted.

How do the various versions of realm management supplements compare to Pathfinder Ultimate Campaign? I'm not tied to any particular system but I would enjoy reading a well-designed realm management subsystem.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Burnt_toastist posted:

How do the various versions of realm management supplements compare to Pathfinder Ultimate Campaign? I'm not tied to any particular system but I would enjoy reading a well-designed realm management subsystem.

What are you looking for in a realm management subsystem?

Burnt_toastist
Sep 2, 2020
I'm just kinda curious to see how people tackle it the realm management mini game. Like do they worry about taxes, or political intrigue, or wars, etc?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/wiki/realmrpgs is a decent list

Burnt_toastist
Sep 2, 2020
Exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Burnt_toastist posted:

I'm just kinda curious to see how people tackle it the realm management mini game. Like do they worry about taxes, or political intrigue, or wars, etc?

I've also put together a (growing) list of domain management games and supplements. Got to credit a lot of people here who helped build the list.

https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2022/01/base-building-domain-management-or.html

This one doesn't look familiar. Thanks for posting it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
/r/rpg's FAQ page has some other really good listicles, check it out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/wiki/faq#toc_0

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 18, 2023

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So, now, assume I know zero about critical role, because I do, but the Vox Machina cartoon is fuckin great.

Anyways my question - all this poo poo this whole series, especially season 2, is basically 4e setting trappings. This is not a coincidence, right?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

dwarf74 posted:

So, now, assume I know zero about critical role, because I do, but the Vox Machina cartoon is fuckin great.

Anyways my question - all this poo poo this whole series, especially season 2, is basically 4e setting trappings. This is not a coincidence, right?

Critical Role actually started on Pathfinder1e before going to DnD5e. I would find 4e-isms to be just cultural osmosis, general fantasy similarities, or coincidence.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Lore-wise, I'd struggle to tell you how 4e is any different from generic D&D fantasy in 3e or 5e.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Megazver posted:

Lore-wise, I'd struggle to tell you how 4e is any different from generic D&D fantasy in 3e or 5e.

We’re probably all about to spend the next several pages finding out.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
PoL is fairly different from the baked-in pseudo-Greyhawk 3.x setting or FR, it's just not readily apparent from the Nentir Vale stuff (because they wanted that to be generic).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 19, 2023

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Points of Light is so loving boring, it honestly made me think it was a factor on hampering sales

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Critical Role actually started on Pathfinder1e before going to DnD5e. I would find 4e-isms to be just cultural osmosis, general fantasy similarities, or coincidence.

They ran a 4e campaign before the first streamed campaign, supposedly. Vox machina was PF1E initially, but I think that mostly comes out in the deities and Taldor (Tal'Dorei in Exandria.)

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

bewilderment posted:

This isn't "general osmosis", this is "the entire cosmology imported wholesale with all the deities including three 4e exclusives, the Betrayer Gods, the Dawn War and all - and only one outlier (Saerenrae) as a minor goddess from Pathfinder that was explicitly the patron deity of a PC". When Matt Mercer created Exandria he 100% used the 4e cosmology including numerous parts that were unique to 4e's cosmology (but is absolutely the sort of DM to add a minor goddess from a different system if that inspired a PC).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The big gulf between the default 4e setting and other D&D settings isn't really the material plane-level "points of light setup" (which I like just fine but is more about what tone you want to strike than anything else; you could probably recreate it by picking a sufficiently dangerous or lightly-settled chunk of many other settings) but the greater cosmology. The "close" planes of the Feywild and Shadowfell and the "far" planes of the Astral Sea and Elemental Chaos, as well as the specific origin types each implied (fey vs. undead, immortal vs. elemental) were actually a pretty far cry from the standard good planes vs. evil planes or whatever and also probably represent the only version of D&D in which law vs. chaos as dichotomous cosmic principles actually made any sense at all.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I vastly preferred 4e's more mythological take on the cosmology rather than the, quite frankly, extremely boring previous versions which felt like it was just making planes of existence by going along the periodic table no matter how ridiculous it seemed.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The end result would lead to the creation of the Elemental Plane of Cops but only the payday gang can open that portal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Runa posted:

The end result would lead to the creation of the Elemental Plane of Cops but only the payday gang can open that portal

Well, now I know what I'm doing the next time I run a game.