Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Name Change posted:

It was a very different time. See also: Game developer that just ships Half-Life mods

They literally made an official HL mod to promote the movie Underworld, just an incredibly specific moment in time and space.

The HL1 mod scene between 99 and about 2003 was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I don't think I've ever seen the Underworld mod, but I have seen the PS2 game they only released in Europe and I'm pretty sure the mod is higher quality.

At the very least, the mod can't be worse.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

They literally made an official HL mod to promote the movie Underworld, just an incredibly specific moment in time and space.

remember when portal 2 came with an in-engine teaser for the movie super 8 for some reason

did we ever find out how that cross-promotion came about

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

repiv posted:

remember when portal 2 came with an in-engine teaser for the movie super 8 for some reason

wait what lol

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

verbal enema posted:

wait what lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMIai5t_K90

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

repiv posted:

Valve and Bad Robot (J. J. Abrams's production company) were doing stuff together at the time. Not a lot seems to have fallen out of that - I think they were vaguely involved with the PASS Time mode for TF2? - but they were apparently writing a script for a Portal movie as of 2021, so who knows...

On this topic, there was apparently plans at some point for an official Left 4 Dead 2 DLC set in the world of Cabin In The Woods. They were cancelled after MGM went bankrupt, but if you look carefully the Special Infected make a cameo in the movie...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Twobirds posted:

I tried the demo for Beyond Sunset, and it's really good, but the boss is rage-inducing.

Is there any way to check the difficulty of a save file? I think I got him within 10 deaths or so but that might have been on an easier difficulty. There was not much room for error

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

verbal enema posted:

i wish he'd do a video on they hunger/ darkstar

Niel Manke come back to us :c

Was anything ever actually confirmed about Neil Manke and what was going on with him? I remember reading something about his health deteriorating back when They Hunger Source (or whatever it was called) started getting delayed, and then that was it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

blatman posted:

i can't think of anywhere more appropriate to post this and misery loves company so please enjoy this doom remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Z4ffRUuUk

i think you misspelled "awesome" as "misery"

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Arivia posted:

i think you misspelled "awesome" as "misery"

Furthermore

https://youtu.be/YZGvcp6EEQc

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Folks, I'm jonesing to play some KISS: Pyscho Circus. I don't know why, I think I should probably lie down and let this feeling pass.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

Barudak posted:

Folks, I'm jonesing to play some KISS: Pyscho Circus. I don't know why, I think I should probably lie down and let this feeling pass.

We need more metal bands licensing FPS games tbh

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there any way to check the difficulty of a save file? I think I got him within 10 deaths or so but that might have been on an easier difficulty. There was not much room for error

I'll check, but I'm pretty sure I'm on Normal. I died a few times in the rest of the demo but mostly cause I was dumb and got swarmed. The boss feels like it's from a different game. It might be the setting, too, it's one boxy room versus the rest of the demo's multi level arenas.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

dlrry posted:

Remember the aerosmith rail shooter?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'm sorry but when people discuss videogames and rock bands I'm legally obligated to remind them of the Queensryche Myst clone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJGQAU8H2Q&t=380s

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 20, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

dlrry posted:

I feel like I heard that Iron Maiden licensed one! :imunfunny:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm tryingto figure out if that's a Powerslave joke, an Ion Maiden joke, or if there's actually an iron maiden fps to go along with their turn based rpg from a few years back.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Iron Maiden's song is in Carmageddon 2 as well

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm tryingto figure out if that's a Powerslave joke, an Ion Maiden joke, or if there's actually an iron maiden fps to go along with their turn based rpg from a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HQfNIXBP3c

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

dlrry posted:

Metal Hellsinger came drat close to this and is incredibly awesome!

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Barudak posted:

As someone who has recently attempted this i would strongly advise against it

i was trying to play both KPC and Klingon Honor Guard concurrently earlier this year, and if that had been my intro to FPS games when i was younger, i probably would have sworn off gaming entirely

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I had this theory as a kid that the Thief series--based on nothing besides the progression from Thief to Thief 2: The Metal Age--would advance technologically until, by Thief 4, it would be set in a modern alternate universe.

I remember being so hyped for that modern day Assassin's Creed where you'd finally run around as Desmond that was coming any year now. :smith:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Twobirds posted:

I'll check, but I'm pretty sure I'm on Normal. I died a few times in the rest of the demo but mostly cause I was dumb and got swarmed. The boss feels like it's from a different game. It might be the setting, too, it's one boxy room versus the rest of the demo's multi level arenas.

Oh no I'm trying to figure out which difficulty I beat him on lol.

Anyway there's no way to see what games are gonna be on the next big (spring) steam sale are there? I want viscerafest pretty badly, but if it's gonna drop down 3-4 bucks again like it did at winter, I can wait another month

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Somebody should make a GWAR game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

oh christ I remember seeing a preview of this in OAPSM and thought it never came out

maybe it should have not come out

banana
Oct 16, 2003

Der Ivan, nä.

Arivia posted:

someone needs to cover the hondo hl1 maps in better detail for all the zoomers as creepypasta

Not really creepypasta or aimed at zoomers, but here is this newish video discussing hondo, the maps, the secrets and their lore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NREzIye0cE

... plus 2 more maps :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

dlrry posted:

Someone get New Blood the rights to Metalocalypse and let them go hog wild

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Powerslave was great and the ending was hilariously over the top, loved it

Is the Build engine version worth a playthrough? Is there a modern port or is it DOSBox?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Escape Goat posted:

Powerslave was great and the ending was hilariously over the top, loved it

Is the Build engine version worth a playthrough? Is there a modern port or is it DOSBox?

Raze will apparently run it

Vakal
May 11, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Raze will apparently run it

That reminds me that Civvie should cover Rune.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Build engine Powerslave is pretty cool, though there are a few tedious first person mazes it's mostly solid boom shoot combat with light environmental puzzle solving and key searching. Better than Redneck Rampage, not quite as good as Blood, Duke or even Shadow Warrior.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 21, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

Build engine Powerslave is pretty cool, though there are a few tedious first person mazes it's mostly solid boom shoot combat with light environmental puzzle solving and key searching. Better than Redneck Rampage, not quite as good as Blood, Duke or even Shadow Warrior.

Which from my recollection is why Civvie only briefly touches on the Build Engine version when he did a video on Powerslave Exhumed, it's competent but doesn't really do much that would be exciting to cover in a video at least after all the other Build Engine games he's covered

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJgN_gZd1iE

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 21, 2023

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Doom... archero? :sigh:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Phone game will be dead within a year. Mobile games never last

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
“Official Announce” reads really weird to me

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Does this look better or worse than the weird mobile Commander Keen they tried to sell us on a few years ago, I can't decide

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I'd like the idea of this if it wasn't mobile / f2p. That looks dreadful.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

microtransactions to fire every BFG shot D: