Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Kith posted:

lightbearer hive have more going for them than "i am a normal enemy except now i'm a rampaging wad of hitpoints and damage" or "i am a normal enemy except i'm invulnerable sometimes" or "i am a normal enemy except i jump around a lot and heal rapidly"

all of the lightbearer hive have unique grenades, attacks, AI patterns, and do not require any specific loadout to overcome. they also force you to react in a variety of ways instead of just one, and are overall more interactive because there's just more to them instead of "two categories of special dudes per race that largely act the same between races"

I just fundamentally don't agree.

They don't have unique AI, they just dodge around until they decide to shoot/use ability, same as anything else. Unstoppables are probably the most unique AI in Destiny, in that they just go forward and forget all else.

Their supers are just "damage". Everything is 'damage'. There's zero difference to a blade barrage vs an ogre eye beam or whatever.

Their abilities, well the only kind of unique one is suppressor grenade. But even that's got similar ones in Chieftan totems, or wizard poison, or taken captain darkness blasts, etc.

They are, essentially, normal enemies with more HP. Like the hunter's special thing is the dodge... so "I am a normal enemy, except I jump around a lot, and if you don't kill me to right way I will come back at full health."

Or the knight. "I am a normal enemy, except sometimes I put up a barrier (go invuln) ps regular knights have a barrier too. If I go berserk (super) you must hide, same as any other enemy with a strong attack".

Or the wizard... they're like, wizard+. The taken are more unique compared to their regular versions. SIVA Fallen were more of a twist than Hive Wizards. That a fallen captain can be holding swords, lord of wolves or a scorch cannon offers more variety than the wizards have over regular wizards. If it wasn't for the number bump they got, they'd be even easier than regular wizards because they don't have the smoke.

You don't interact with them any differently, you shoot them and take cover from their attacks. Champs are not great, don't get me wrong. But again, the issue is the HP regen, so you can't whittle them down, and that the mechanics was tied to mods/guns, rather than being a skill thing.

Like the risen hive are either- when they are attacking, you hide. Shoot them when they aren't attacking. Avoid the grenades.

They only actual mechanical twist they have is having to finish off the ghost. Everything else is just variations of weapon or ability, which all enemies have.

Champs are either- when they are attacking, you hide. Shoot them when they aren't, and get the stun.

Berserkers from Scourge were actually unique because you had to have two people.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

GruntyThrst posted:

Second question: I have SO MUCH lore to catch up on. Is Ishtar still the place to go for that? I wanna read all the little lore greebles not just watch a summary from Byf or something

Ishtar is still the place to go if you want to catch up on the lore. At a minimum you want to read the seasonal lore books in order, the lore attached to any seasonal armor sets (same across slots for all three classes, start with the helmet and work down), lore attached to sesonal weapons, items (sparrows, ghost shells, ships), and the sesonal artifact.

You also want to read any of the Web Lore at Ishtar (these are Bungie lore blog posts) and the books from the collector editions of Beyond Light, Witch Queen, and Lightfall. You might need to dig up a reddit post linking to the collector edition books. Don't skip the collector edition books, Witch Queen especially has some really deep lore and as far as I know only the second book is on Ishtar right now.

You should also go back and read the Books of Sorrow from the Taken King to start.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

A dev leak I can get behind

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Thinking about picking this up again as I generally like the game, just hated the gating/fomo aspect, of seasons/expansions is that changed at all?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Not really / not entirely. Not sure how long you've been away though so I don't know what version of FOMO you're thinking of.

In some ways they've eased off a few things - guns and armor no longer will be sunset, but seasonal activities still go away when the next expansion drops. Expansions campaigns and destinations will no longer be sunset too, IIRC, and they are implementing an "exotic mission rotator" which makes it sound like they intent to no longer sunset exotic missions. That will be added in season 22 which will be around fallish? When that shows up it will come with the 2 exotic missions from this year (Seraph Shield and Vox Obscura) and Presage from the previous year. Presumably we'll eventually see stuff like Zero Hour and Whisper of the Worm added to it. Weapon crafting is both a positive and negative for FOMO - seasonal guns will allow you to acquire patterns to craft them - unlock the full pattern and you basically no longer need to worry about the gun going away/rotated out, but in turn, it does encourage getting them while they're around.

I don't find it all too bad because most of the important stuff gives you plenty of time to get it - it's not really a "sign in and make sure you get your login bonus" kind of FOMO, but seasonal ranks and challenges might create a bit "aw gently caress i've barely played this season" feeling.

e: Like, with them doubling down on dungeons (we get one every other season, granted you gotta buy the deluxe edition or pay like 10$ for each dungeon), doing the reprised raid at the yearly midway point, and the announcement of the exotic mission rotator, I'm feeling pretty positive with what feels like a commitment to more "evergreen?" interesting content.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 18, 2023

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I stopped playing a bit after gambit was released. So like entire expansions I paid for are not going to just be gone anymore? (Was annoyed initially about that but kinda wtvr really)

I loaded it up to play around a bit, went to the helm and it appears I would have to buy 3 different season passes to just use the stuff there? Or does the most recent one give you all of the others? Game isn't very clear on that.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Rakeris posted:

I stopped playing a bit after gambit was released. So like entire expansions I paid for are not going to just be gone anymore? (Was annoyed initially about that but kinda wtvr really)

I loaded it up to play around a bit, went to the helm and it appears I would have to buy 3 different season passes to just use the stuff there? Or does the most recent one give you all of the others? Game isn't very clear on that.

I think you can only buy the current season (Seraph). The other two you need WQ Deluxe I believe?

actually on that note I'm 41 right now and have $10 burning a hole in my steam wallet. Should be possible to get to 100 before Lightfall right?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

acumen posted:

I think you can only buy the current season (Seraph). The other two you need WQ Deluxe I believe?

actually on that note I'm 41 right now and have $10 burning a hole in my steam wallet. Should be possible to get to 100 before Lightfall right?

Sure, but it’s gonna take a lot of bounties.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Old expansions (Forsaken, Curse of Osiris, Warmind) aren't going to be re-added, but the currently available expansions, Shadowkeep, Beyond Light and Witch Queen are not planned to be sunset like the others were.

Seasons are separate - buying the newest won't get you the previous. Now is probably not a good time to buy any seasons* - we are a week away from the next expansion, Lightfall when all of the current seasonal content you see in the helm is going to be vaulted.

* With maybe the exception being if you buy the Witch Queen Deluxe Edition - it comes with the WQ Expansion (can be purchased standalone, not going anywhere) The 2 WQ Dungeons (Can also be purchased as a pair separately, also not going anywhere) and the 4 WQ Seasons, which all can be bought standalone, but absolutely should not at this point. Assuming it's still on sale, price wise I think it still works out in your favor even if you're getting no value from the seasons. (Actually, I'm seeing its 25$ Canadian right now, I think the dungeon pass alone is 20$?)

(Totally forgot they usually only let you buy the active season ala carte)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

acumen posted:

Should be possible.
Do the seasonal challenges and a lot bounties, then make sure to turn them in while in a group with clan members for the bonus xp.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm up another 10 levels overnight and have a bunch of time off to grind some more, I think it's looking doable. Are the Revision Zero catalysts going away with the quest though? Seems probably worthwhile to focus on that too if so

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Even restricted to this past year, I have died more to Taken Phalanxes than the Lightbearer Hive. They are the real low-tier god enemy of Destiny.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Firebert posted:

Even restricted to this past year, I have died more to Taken Phalanxes than the Lightbearer Hive. They are the real low-tier god enemy of Destiny.

I sherpa'd a queenswalk yesterday and jesus christ, the amount of runs immediately rendered wipe-worthy because of phalanxes was ludicrous

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, the Taken Phalanxes have pretty much taken the number one Kill ASAP spot that was reserved for Taken Captains in Destiny 1.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Taken Phalanxes took over where D1 Phalanxes left off - slapping the poo poo out of anyone they choose, anywhere they like, at their convenience.

I am still stupid enough to try to jump over them to headshot them as they are preparing to do their shield poo poo

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Waveframe GL are amazing for phalanxes. Idk about the taken booper ones but they made life way easier against the cabal ones soloing the second encounter in duality. Just rides under and lights em up.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Yeah between unstoppable GL and every activity having waves of trash adds, this season has made me finally love waveframes. Hopefully we get a craftable void one next season.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The biggest problem with Taken Phalanxes is their knockback attack has immense range. You think you're safe because you're far away but nope, you just get knocked right off the map by a phalanx on the other side of the room.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Yeah between unstoppable GL and every activity having waves of trash adds, this season has made me finally love waveframes. Hopefully we get a craftable void one next season.

I desperately want a waveframe that goes in slot 1.

Apparently the monkey's paw curled twice over since Lightfall is giving is a heavy stasis waveframe GL and then the exotic heavy stasis glaive. Bungie please, I beg you, we need more options for special weapons in the first slot. My loadout is dying.

Collateral Damage posted:

The biggest problem with Taken Phalanxes is their knockback attack has immense range. You think you're safe because you're far away but nope, you just get knocked right off the map by a phalanx on the other side of the room.
and it feels like cover will do very little to protect you too - I'll try to quickly get behind something, but it's "nope, you're still getting booped."

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Overload Taken Phalanx :getin:

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

another thing is I think the boops knockback is combined exponentially or something. Being booped by one is annoying but you can recover with good positioning or movement, two will knock your rear end into the last encounter

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the taken phalanx that was part of the Malfeasance exotic quest was legit crazy because the only protection was some small tube structure near the edge of the floating platform. it was super fun though

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
The other quasi answer to taken phalanx is a sword swipe that tends to cancel your Mach 4 exit from reality. If you get blown off and down as a warlock you’re largely hosed but the other two classes have a little bit of altitude gain from their class jump so often times a sword will save you. On warlock I think I instinctively jump before getting blasted specifically because it gives me some atitide from the launch angle. First encounter of Prophecy, Grasp Ogre, Grasp end boss, and that Corrupted thing (I guess anything with stomps/phalanx near cliffs) are prime examples where being bad at the game makes it in my best interest to have a sword.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Every now and then an old destiny 2 clip pops on my YouTube feed and what in the world

https://youtu.be/rE1z0iW8mGU

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

uwaeve posted:

The other quasi answer to taken phalanx is a sword swipe that tends to cancel your Mach 4 exit from reality. If you get blown off and down as a warlock you’re largely hosed but the other two classes have a little bit of altitude gain from their class jump so often times a sword will save you. On warlock I think I instinctively jump before getting blasted specifically because it gives me some atitide from the launch angle. First encounter of Prophecy, Grasp Ogre, Grasp end boss, and that Corrupted thing (I guess anything with stomps/phalanx near cliffs) are prime examples where being bad at the game makes it in my best interest to have a sword.

yknow I haven't tried it cause I don't run solar often but I wonder if a well-timed icarus dash can save you from a boop

hilariously, I can speak from experience and say that trying to use blink against a boop will only make it worse as it follows your momentum and teleports you even further backwards.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Every now and then an old destiny 2 clip pops on my YouTube feed and what in the world

https://youtu.be/rE1z0iW8mGU

This was part of the season 1 content, a post-campaign quest on Titan which is no longer in the game (along with the rest of Titan). It was the first time we saw Mithrax and he didn't appear again until season 5. For some reason I wrongly remembered that it was possible to kill him in the knight fight, but it looks like it never was since he's invulnerable the entire time

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Icarus Dash does indeed help you against boops. Not always, but I definitely feel like it's helped. A big reason I love solarlock.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

haveblue posted:

This was part of the season 1 content, a post-campaign quest on Titan which is no longer in the game (along with the rest of Titan). It was the first time we saw Mithrax and he didn't appear again until season 5. For some reason I wrongly remembered that it was possible to kill him in the knight fight, but it looks like it never was since he's invulnerable the entire time

I am pretty sure you could, and there would be alternate dialogue. I went through it once solo, and then did it co-op with my brother, who didn't pay attention to the story and just opened fire on both of them.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Alright fess up, who wrote this?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ponzicar posted:

I am pretty sure you could, and there would be alternate dialogue. I went through it once solo, and then did it co-op with my brother, who didn't pay attention to the story and just opened fire on both of them.

I thought so too but in the video he has his shield before the knight is dead, you can see brief flashes of it around 31 seconds in. I thought they might have patched out the ability to kill him when they continued his story with Zero Hour, but this video was posted long before that

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Finally, someone has the courage to say what we're all thinking

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Nelson Mandingo posted:

whuf

ooof

am i finally going to buy saomething destiny inorder to experience this??

wowza

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Finally, someone has the courage to say what we're all thinking

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Honestly though jokes aside, the Cloud Striders are genuinely loving massive. I see why they die in 10 years now. There is no way the human body can sustain that size.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm the ethereal punchsexual

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Spoilered for…. not quite :nws: but I sure wouldn’t want to explain it to anyone

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Honestly though jokes aside, the Cloud Striders are genuinely loving massive. I see why they die in 10 years now. There is no way the human body can sustain that size.

hell yeah

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

holy poo poo, I just realized what new Calus reminds me of

WAIT

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Now I need Dana Snyder ranting about guardians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

arsenicCatnip posted:

holy poo poo, I just realized what new Calus reminds me of

WAIT