Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh6LCI8O16s

Gameplan
Aggressive tempo deck that drafts artifacts. Best of the Ux decks (still below average WR). You don’t have a curve so much as a pile of 2 and 3-drops, you can more easily follow a pick order for this archetype compared to others. You will often end here if you start in W and RGB is cut, you might pick up toxic cards but if you get pushed into UW some of those initial picks will end up in the sideboard to maintain the linear artifact strategy. If you get passed an Unctus’s Retrofitter or Cephalopod Sentry in picks 3-6 that is a signal.

Pick Order
Annex Sentry
Unctus’s Retrofitter
Ossification
Bladed Ambassador
Swooping Lookout (stops early toxic drops)
Cephalopod Sentry
Mandible Justiciar (top common, provides life cushion that ameliorates Eye of Malcator’s non-blocking)
Atraxa’s Skitterfang
Planar Disruption
Tamiyo’s Immobilizer
Chrome Prowler
Basilica Shepherd (good stats but you don’t want too many 5-drops in this deck)
Surgical Skullbomb
Malcator’s Watcher
Eye of Malcator (this is not a key card. Take it late because no one wants it)
Escaped Experiment
Incisor Glider (your opponent probably won’t get Corrupted, but it is an artifact)
Indoctrination Attendant
Crawling Chorus (not a great fit for the archetype, has a weird stat difference in BO1/BO3)

Potential Variation
You might end up in a W creatures U spells setup where you have toxic creatures and Aspirant’s Ascent, Prologue to Phyresis, Experimental Augury, and Bring the Ending. However this seems unlikely to work since W would have to be very open for this, but if someone in your table is hoovering up RGB then conceptually it could happen.

Strategies
Mostly tempoing or racing other decks, you might stuff W or B aggro since their creatures are smaller. Charge of the Mites is a toxic wide card and not good for this. Skullbombs are very good here and better than running combat tricks if you have enough payoffs. Most of the For Mirrodin! Cards are bad on rate. You can play counterspells if you have to, this is not a draw-go deck, because you are tempoing they are much worse than in Brothers’ War.

On the draw, if Eye of Malcator is your first play, you need to mulligan. If you have a good 2-drop you can keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I think my Balmor deck got graduated into a harder queue. I was winning against a lot of Rusko decks and playing lots of off meta commanders, now I’m seeing Sheoldred, Ulamog, really annoying stuff. If they play a big fatty like Sheoldred or Cityscape Leveler my entire game plan is basically toast if I can’t get around them. The eternal dilemma of Izzet wizzards - gotta play creatures, play cantrips, and hold up mana for counter play all without flooding.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Oh cool. I don’t mind seeing a Rusko every now and then (it’s an interesting deck) but it was oppressive for a while and I just ended up conceding a lot, which I typically don’t do until a game is decided.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
https://www.17lands.com/deck/54261aba63f14bffb0bb344f5c6a45b0

Any suggestions here? Playing tomorrow afternoon probably.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

https://www.17lands.com/deck/54261aba63f14bffb0bb344f5c6a45b0

Any suggestions here? Playing tomorrow afternoon probably.

Second Hazardous Blast will deffo win more games than Sylex imo. I would prob run the 2nd Skywarden over the Regrowth effect, it’s prob just as good as buying back Lukka and 3 5-drops has been ok. I don’t like tap lands in this set, one at most.

Blast is the new meta

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/a-first-look-at-march-of-the-machine

The gently caress is this?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Vorthos observations:

Calling it the conclusion of the battle is a little odd, since Phyrexia is definitely winning in a lot of this. There'll be more an an arc depicted in this set than usual. Which explains Aftermath, I guess.

I understand the marketing reasons for it, but it's pretty amusing that in this (very cool!) tour of the multiverse, where "the fate of all planes is at stake," we're only seeing places we've been before. Stick a new plane somewhere! They clearly don't mind teasing future lore.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 20, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
awesome is what it is

I love the team-up cards, and the timmy in me loves the ridiculousness of multani and yargle becoming a loving six mana 18/6 vanilla creature, lmfao

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

That logo and concept just screams "Hey remember that scene in Avengers Endgame when everybody came out of the portals? That was cool right?"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
except it seems in this it's phyrexians coming out of every portal, everywhere, all at the same time.

I predict there will have to be some typical central weak point that causes the entire thing to fail across the multiverse if it's getting wrapped up that quickly.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Rap Game Goku posted:

That logo ... screams "Hey remember that scene in Avengers Endgame when everybody came out of the portals? That was cool right?"

I do not understand this. Are you talking about how they replaced a letter? Except they didn't replace a letter in the Avengers logo, it's just a stylized "A"

The MOM logo is weirdly bad though. Bright yellow block letters doesn't scream "multiversal threat" to me.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Captain Invictus posted:

except it seems in this it's phyrexians coming out of every portal, everywhere, all at the same time.

MOM Elesh Norn revealed

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

It's Thalia riding The Gitrog Monster, what else do you need?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

5/3, apparently this set is kinda my jam and I'm approaching Plat 1 and net positive on gems?!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
did a draft that had a couple rough games but was starting to rattle off some wins until my opponent conceded to a Koth ult and then arena gave me a 3rd loss. Definitely gonna file a ticket and get my gems back for it, but dang I wanted to do more Koth nonsense, card is fun

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Any suggestions here: https://www.17lands.com/deck/a844848b3f9b4a3ab792d7c78ffaad57?

Just low to the ground WB aggro mostly, aiming to win with Poison which has worked for me in the past.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Any suggestions here: https://www.17lands.com/deck/a844848b3f9b4a3ab792d7c78ffaad57?

Just low to the ground WB aggro mostly, aiming to win with Poison which has worked for me in the past.

I'd be nervous about 11 creatures in an aggro deck. Compleat Devotion is really good, but with so few creatures and only 7 with toxic, I'd worry 4 is too much. I would probably cut one of those for Infectious Inquiry. Getting that poison counter + drawing a couple cards may be important if your early game is stalled out

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kashuno posted:

I'd be nervous about 11 creatures in an aggro deck. Compleat Devotion is really good, but with so few creatures and only 7 with toxic, I'd worry 4 is too much. I would probably cut one of those for Infectious Inquiry. Getting that poison counter + drawing a couple cards may be important if your early game is stalled out

Oof I didn't notice my creature count had got that low. Putting in Skitterling and Inquiry is probably worthwhile at that point, and maybe Scraptrap.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Gulping Scraptrap is such a weird card, most of the time it's terrible but I've had enough games where my opponent on the poison game plans stick it and I am just stuck with a creature that I can't attack into or kill without dying

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Play Incisor Glider and Mandible Justiciar you goofy bastard

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Mostly the rhetorical questions were, "why the hell are we getting a new set barely a month into this one" and "did they loving hold back on cards to get people to buy more?"

I suppose the answer is, "capitalism".

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Mostly the rhetorical questions were, "why the hell are we getting a new set barely a month into this one" and "did they loving hold back on cards to get people to buy more?"

I suppose the answer is, "capitalism".

The former is because the current set is only two months long 9because the last one was four months long, a schedule which really irks me, you get a long boring set over christmas then a SUPER short one.

The latter is like... what would 'hold back on cards' even mean here they have an ongoing rolling release schedule?

But the answer to what causes almost all problems IS capitalism, yes.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I know this probably a useless rant and the answer is just power creep combined with having to play with people who spend money but still: What is going on with this game? Why is every match over in under five turns? Why do I need to face decks with multiple mythic rare cards who all need immediate answers or it is just over?

I really want to like Magic and I have really fond memories playing with actual cards with my friends on school breaks back when Urza block was current. Now, I understand I can't have that back. Everyone having access to all the cards ruins the rush of having two copies of the same rare card in your deck when no one else does. If I want to play that game I can play draft and it kinda fits. To draft you have to get gold, though, which means playing quick matches.

I actually played Arena a bunch between Ravnica and Eldraine and got a good collection of those cards it was fun. Yeah, there were super fast aggro decks but in general there usually was something you could do to overpowered planeswalkers or creatures. Now it feels the decks I face in either historical or standard are just impossible. Of all the latest 10ish games I won one. The rest were over in under 5 turns. Is the matchmaking somehow weird or what is this thing? I could understand historic since maybe it checks my old collection and thinks they are still good decks but I have a pitiful standard collection and I don't get a chance.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Magic is a super disgustingly expensive game and Arena doesn't have any of the cheapo or kitchen formats or methods to make things affordable. Arena is a digital card game which doubles down on all the lovely things about paper magic.

I usually do well in standard or other formats running cheap burn decks or budget versions of meta decks. I use untapped.gg tools to see what meta decks are even close to craftable for me.

What decks are you running and failing with?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, post some decks, otherwise it really is just a rant. Maybe some recorded gameplay if you have a gameplay recorder installed.

Constructed formats being both fast (thoguh standard now is nowhere near as fast on average as standard was in ELD, because Embercleave is gone) and full of rares and mythics is just... how standard be. If you're playing aggro and you can't get to a turn 5 kill goldfishing, your deck just ain't fast enough and you're gonna get wiped and lose because there are multiple 4 mana wipes in the format.

Historic in particular has multiple turn 3 combo wins, and at least one turn 2 combo win.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Khanstant posted:

Magic is a super disgustingly expensive game and Arena doesn't have any of the cheapo or kitchen formats or methods to make things affordable. Arena is a digital card game which doubles down on all the lovely things about paper magic.

I usually do well in standard or other formats running cheap burn decks or budget versions of meta decks. I use untapped.gg tools to see what meta decks are even close to craftable for me.

What decks are you running and failing with?

Basically whatever I can put together from my collection.

On standard the game decided to gift me with 3 Urzas and 4 Mightstone and Weakstones so that is pretty much the only core of powerful cards I have multiple copies of. I used some gems and gold and drafts on Phyrexia and I'm trying something in white/blue there too, since it seems I got quite a few cards that care about artifacts and non-creature spells. Normally I mostly like to play blue/black decks or red decks, though. I did get Urabrask and a couple of his forges but I probably have nothing to build a deck around them with.

In historic I have a bunch of fun old decks, most of which I just play to get to use the cards. Like a War of the Spark Nicol Bolas deck with zombie tokens, a really hit-or-miss Rakdos sacrifice deck or a weird black/blue control deck that revolves around circumventing most normal game mechanics and the win conditions of either stealing stuff from your opponent and winging it from there or sticking a certain huge sea monster on the board and never letting the opponent get rid of it. I often don't win with these but they're fun.

I don't really mind losing, actually. Well, other than missing out on a bunch of prize gold from winning. I basically just want to be able to play the cool cards and see what kind of cards to other player has.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Brawl can get expensive with most decks being a bunch of rares and mythics but depending on your collection you might have better luck there building your own jank. The Arena economy heavily incentivizes building The Best Deck for constructed formats and jamming that as much as possible. Even most unranked games I play are people running meta decks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Brawl is a lot easier tbh, you tend to wind up with more single rares than sets of rares just because of probability, let alone if you draft a bunch, so it's usually gonna be easier to build a decent Brawl deck than a decent Constructed deck.

Especially if you build it by going for theme rather than pure quality, because then you'll end up in less hellish queues.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just running whatever you have sounds like you'll have about exactly the experience you're having. Historic also means chances of facing people with even crazier decks than standard since they might have years more worth of options, but I don't know the meta there I just jam my standard aggro decks there sometimes.

Arena often isn't really a "just for fun" kind of deal, since you need currency to play the fun formats or currency for cards to play other formats, everyone ends up playing to win. I'd suggest looking up what the meta decks are for the formats you're trying to play and start working towards building one of those.

Once you have a working deck to get wins with on the meta, it's a little more enjoyable to try out weird homebrew and eat losses once quests are done.

I can look at my account and see I tried getting into Magic around nicol bolas time, and then there's a couple years ago before I actually got into Magic in general. That first attempt at Arena pushed me away because once I beat the tutorial and 8t was time to try and build decks, I had no clue what to make and when I did I was so far from affording the parts for it.

You ever consider playing on paper? A draft at a local game store on Friday night might be a better way to play some fun cards, see other new cards, and learn new decks and stuff, plus it's actually a fun social way to spend an evening and if you get lucky it might pay for itself. Paper draft is the most reliable way to play fair and balanced games where having deep pockets is a non-factor.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Brawl is a lot easier tbh, you tend to wind up with more single rares than sets of rares just because of probability, let alone if you draft a bunch, so it's usually gonna be easier to build a decent Brawl deck than a decent Constructed deck.

Especially if you build it by going for theme rather than pure quality, because then you'll end up in less hellish queues.

Oh wow, an entire game mode tucked away in some submenu. Only one of each cars does sound like a lot more fun to me. Thanks! Now to just google what on earth is a "commander". (Yeah, I'm aware there is a game mode or something of that name in physical Magic. It didn't exist when I played a bit so now I get to find out. :cheers:)

Khanstant posted:

You ever consider playing on paper? A draft at a local game store on Friday night might be a better way to play some fun cards, see other new cards, and learn new decks and stuff, plus it's actually a fun social way to spend an evening and if you get lucky it might pay for itself. Paper draft is the most reliable way to play fair and balanced games where having deep pockets is a non-factor.

Not really. Closest place to even buy Magic cards is about two hours of driving. :v: Plus I have a family and scarcely have time to play a few games online before going to bed. It would be fun to know people close by who played Magic, though. Literal kitchen table games are fun.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 20, 2023

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

It is also called 'elder dragon Highlander', so you may know that name. But you pick a legend as your commander and build your deck in their colors and always are able to access them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

On Arena a COmmander is just 'any Legendary creature or Planeswalker'. In the Commander format it's a little more complex AIUI.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Valiantman posted:

Not really. Closest place to even buy Magic cards is about two hours of driving. :v: Plus I have a family and scarcely have time to play a few games online before going to bed. It would be fun to know people close by who played Magic, though. Literal kitchen table games are fun.

Bummer about the drive but sounds like you got everything you need to play fun kitchen table decks and games at home. I don't know why you'd bother having a family if you aren't going to play with it :p

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

thespaceinvader posted:

On Arena a COmmander is just 'any Legendary creature or Planeswalker'. In the Commander format it's a little more complex AIUI.

It's actually a little less complex, in that it's just "any legendary creature".

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jabor posted:

It's actually a little less complex, in that it's just "any legendary creature".

Except don't some (but not all) planeswalkers come with 'this can be your commander' text?

Hence, a little more complex.

E: It would be amusing if it could just be any Legend at all though. meet my Commander, the Meathook Massacre.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
excepy half the drat creatures i would want to use nevwr make it into mtga. Would have loved to have made a shrine deck but nooooo.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SwissArmyDruid posted:

excepy half the drat creatures i would want to use nevwr make it into mtga. Would have loved to have made a shrine deck but nooooo.

they did in fact put go-shintai of life's origin on arena with historic anthology 6

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
double posting b/c FINALLY

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1627791475822981120

now collapse card styles and let us favorite those as well

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

flatluigi posted:

they did in fact put go-shintai of life's origin on arena with historic anthology 6

If you go for it, be prepared to only play against another shrine deck or a 5 color commander as that’s pretty much all I get when I play my shrine HBrawl deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Bummer about the drive but sounds like you got everything you need to play fun kitchen table decks and games at home. I don't know why you'd bother having a family if you aren't going to play with it :p

We actually do, with one of my kids! We each pick one of my old decks at random and play sometimes.

But thanks a lot for pointing Brawl out to me! This is really fun now, it is perfectly okay for me!