Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there any trick I can use to get Harvestella to run at 1280x800 instead of 1280x720?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

it doesn't seem like there is a ton of good ways to play poker on steam but consider Tabletop Simulator

You get poker, plus a ton of other boring non-video games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is there any trick I can use to get Harvestella to run at 1280x800 instead of 1280x720?

Maybe you could edit an ini file but some games are just like that and it’s annoying. What’s really annoying is when they say it’s 1200x800 but the black bars are clearly 720p

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

it doesn't seem like there is a ton of good ways to play poker on steam but consider Tabletop Simulator

You get poker, plus a ton of other boring non-video games.

Seeing Arkham Horror in the workshop is making me mighty curious about Tabletop Simulator. Gonna pick it up when I got some free money.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i played eldritch horror with tabletop simulator and while it is much smoother to play than the actual tabletop version, the text is gonna be way too small to play comfortably on a deck you're gonna be zooming and panning a fuckton

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Truga posted:

i played eldritch horror with tabletop simulator and while it is much smoother to play than the actual tabletop version, the text is gonna be way too small to play comfortably on a deck you're gonna be zooming and panning a fuckton

I’d probably be playing that docked.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Someone make a clip on magnifier for the steam deck

basically this updated to 2020s

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Only if they make it attach by vesa

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It seems like everything works fine if I just turn off wifi/go into airplane mode, without switching to offline mode. Anyone done this on a plane or something? Am I missing an issue?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

It seems like everything works fine if I just turn off wifi/go into airplane mode, without switching to offline mode. Anyone done this on a plane or something? Am I missing an issue?

I take my deck out of the house all the time and I never go into offline mode or turn on airplane mode. It just works.

I only had one instance where things hosed up. I was playing a game on my main PC while I downloaded some games to my deck. The deck finished downloading and I put it to sleep. I was still gaming on my PC. I left the house with my deck and the deck wouldn't load any games because it thought I was still playing on my PC at the same time. Offline mode wouldn't work and I had to connect to my phone hotspot so the deck could check in.

That's going to be really rare for people though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I actually got into Poker Night at the Inventory 2, it was the first one I didn't really care for, and when I get through that (because there's general progression), I'm going to be trying out Prominent (or Prominence?) Poker.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Okay cool. I've been futzing with it and restarting and I can't make it stop working. About to have 18 hours of air travel so I wanted to be sure I wasn't making a huge mistake.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Okay cool. I've been futzing with it and restarting and I can't make it stop working. About to have 18 hours of air travel so I wanted to be sure I wasn't making a huge mistake.

Na you'll be fine. Worst case like I said you can try it at the airport and if something is weird you can connect to to a hotspot or wifi before you board.

My case was a really rare one and the only time I've ever had an issue. I take my deck out of the house nearly every day.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Just to add more than one set of experiences to this discussion, but IME the Deck does absolutely need to either be connected to a wifi network or have the wifi turned off, otherwise it'll sit forever launching a game. I'd recommend turning your Deck's WiFi off before you leave your house. AFAIK it doesn't need to be in offline mode, but I just do that as a precaution.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have been :f5:-ing the steam purchase history page all day. My deck has been packaged but not shipped.

Gabe, don’t do this to me

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe you could edit an ini file but some games are just like that and it’s annoying. What’s really annoying is when they say it’s 1200x800 but the black bars are clearly 720p

I'll take a look, but I doubt it. I found the Deck's resolution override setting in the Properties for the game but it didn't do anything.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think it's a game by game thing on whether a game can launch without an Internet connection without also being in explicit offline mode. When we lost power one day I could only launch some things

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

sigher posted:

CryoByte33 has released a new version of his tool which will boost even more performance than before, supposedly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9EjXYZUqUs

Might as well give it a shot.

I ran this and then installed Horizon Zero Dawn again to see if it made it playable, it was still a no go for me. I like how easy it was to go back to stock from the tool so I’m going to keep it installed just in case.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sigher posted:

CryoByte33 has released a new version of his tool which will boost even more performance than before, supposedly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9EjXYZUqUs

Might as well give it a shot.

This looks really interesting. I wish the features were documented anywhere but in a YouTube video that makes my eyes glaze over within seconds, but I'm intrigued by how it seems to do a good job making Switch games more playable.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

loudog999 posted:

I ran this and then installed Horizon Zero Dawn again to see if it made it playable, it was still a no go for me. I like how easy it was to go back to stock from the tool so I’m going to keep it installed just in case.

You should let him know.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

loudog999 posted:

Did it say anything about making Zero Dawn playable or..?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

loudog999 posted:

I’m curious what’s going on here for you. Looking at the graphs you should maintain a decent 40fps or at the very least a locked 30fps.

What’s not playable?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I’m curious what’s going on here for you. Looking at the graphs you should maintain a decent 40fps or at the very least a locked 30fps.

What’s not playable?

The reddit thread has the stereotypical exchange where someone insists the game should get 40fps but also didn't actually play the game much:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/116v72t/comment/j99qm3w/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Sounds like it gets a lot of lag spikes still.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
ive been rolling around with a 512gb batocera microsd card flash from some rando age old goon torrent zone but youtube is like hey look theres a 1tb flash and it takes like 2 searches to find the keyword as arcade punks. and im like alright. thank you algorithm, wow look they even have usenet downloads. the problem is the logistics of downloading, unzipping and flashing a 953gig file lol. thank god i never used a 3tb green hdd from like half a decade ago.

going back to hard disk though: good god.... 8 hour unzip time and who knows how long this is gonna take to write to a microsd

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 21, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

The reddit thread has the stereotypical exchange where someone insists the game should get 40fps but also didn't actually play the game much:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/116v72t/comment/j99qm3w/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Don't keep the tool at stock, it makes it run much better

e: oh i was thinking of loudog. my bad

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I played about 15 hours of the game on the Deck at 800p low settings with a 40fps cap and it was fine so I don't know what's going on here unless they did some weird update that broke everything.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

What’s not playable?

I tried locking it at both 40 and 30 on medium settings but see drops down to upper teens. I could set everything to low and probably maintain a decent fps but I feel like I could have done that before running the tool. I think that if I didn’t have it on PS5 to compare I could probably get used to it but, at least for me, streaming it to the deck is the better option.

Barreft posted:

Don't keep the tool at stock, it makes it run much better

e: oh i was thinking of loudog. my bad

That’s why I’m keeping the tool installed. I’m currently playing Alpha Protocol and a couple of PS2 games so I’m not having any issues. If I do decide to play a more demanding game in the future I’ll run it again. I’m just worried about steam updates or something unforeseen crapping out because of the changes. This way at least I’ll give it some time for others to test.

loudog999 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 21, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'll take a look, but I doubt it. I found the Deck's resolution override setting in the Properties for the game but it didn't do anything.

Ok I found the UE4 config files where I can set the resolution but it looks like it's one of those games that's hardcoded to 16:9 unless you use the "universal unreal engine 4 unlocker" tool

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Watching the Cryobyte video.

Hope he wraps up with a full summary of what to do….

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hadji murad posted:

Watching the Cryobyte video.

Hope he wraps up with a full summary of what to do….

Install program. Click a button.

Done.

Well the other step is to go into the bios and set the vram but he goes over that and it’s simple.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Seems like he gets into it a bit more than that.

E: upon rewatching I see that you can just hit recommended settings. Thanks everyone.

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 21, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

people spend $500+ on a Linux machine and can’t be bothered to watch a very short video… smdh

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Hell i spent 10 bucks on a forum and it’s not even troll free

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Why do the touchpad mouse controls stop working in desktop mode when the Deck is offline?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Necrothatcher posted:

Why do the touchpad mouse controls stop working in desktop mode when the Deck is offline?

They don't. Did you close Steam by accident?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vic posted:

They don't. Did you close Steam by accident?

I just tested it a bit more.

If you switch to desktop mode while the Deck is offline you can't use the mouse touchpad controls, connecting to Wifi instantly turns it back on.

Just researched it and it seems like a pretty common complaint.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is that why my mouse controls hang when I enter desktop mode? Because the deck is getting connected to my WiFi?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I wonder how Resident Evil 4 Remake is going to handle on Deck.

Picked Dead Space up yesterday and I definitely had to work harder than I wanted to to get it not running or looking like poo poo. We knew Dead Space was going to be a demanding game from the jump though (more demanding than RE4:R?)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bumhead posted:

I wonder how Resident Evil 4 Remake is going to handle on Deck.

Picked Dead Space up yesterday and I definitely had to work harder than I wanted to to get it not running or looking like poo poo. We knew Dead Space was going to be a demanding game from the jump though (more demanding than RE4:R?)

Dead Space runs perfect with minimal setting tweaks. It had a real, and I mean real, rough launch in terms of performance but they turned that around real quick. On the other hand, RE:Engine is literal voodoo magic so expect RE4 Remake to run buttery smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah RE:Engine is one of the most optimised game engines going at the moment, MH on Switch looked amazing