Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've been having fun with BTA 3062 in spite of the jankiness. I once had a mech get obliterated on deployment because the game couldn't figure out how to space the drop pods. I laughed my rear end off for a good minute.

(the one thing I won't touch are duel missions, it may be my bad luck but I swear they're cursed.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

SirPhoebos posted:

(the one thing I won't touch are duel missions, it may be my bad luck but I swear they're cursed.)

Duel missions are exactly why you should have two good Firestarters sitting in the bay at all times.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're playing BTA I would recommend getting a 35t mech and loading it with as many cannons or rocket launchers as possible, and use them to one shot the other mech. The owens is a great choice.

This scales up well to higher tonnages too. There are weapons which are perfect for duels because they are entirely alpha strike based. You can also get quite a bit of use out of them on normal missions in the sense they can usually knock out a couple of mechs quickly, but they're ideal for duels.

The 75t corsair is a great platform for this, load six light cannons onto it and use it to do 1200 odd alpha strike damage, or alternatively unload them one or two at a time during the course of a mission to take out specific targets.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 21, 2023

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Has anyone played any of the player-made Flashpoints on the Nexus? If so, are they any good?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

If you're playing BTA I would recommend getting a 35t mech and loading it with as many cannons or rocket launchers as possible, and use them to one shot the other mech. The owens is a great choice.

This scales up well to higher tonnages too. There are weapons which are perfect for duels because they are entirely alpha strike based. You can also get quite a bit of use out of them on normal missions in the sense they can usually knock out a couple of mechs quickly, but they're ideal for duels.

The 75t corsair is a great platform for this, load six light cannons onto it and use it to do 1200 odd alpha strike damage, or alternatively unload them one or two at a time during the course of a mission to take out specific targets.

I never screwed around with cannons lmao, I had no idea they could poo poo out that kind of damage

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I had two srm carriers as my duel team, or srm carrier+behemoth for bigger ones

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I never screwed around with cannons lmao, I had no idea they could poo poo out that kind of damage

I forget the exact stats but a light cannon carries I think 12 rounds in a 4 tonne package, and it fires all of them at once. Just one will usually gently caress up a light mech if you manage to land an 80%+ shot on it, probably losing a limb, likely critical component damage.

Heavier cannons get less efficient, so I think they are generally more useful if the mech has a load of spare ballistic slots you can just pack with light cannons, the corsair comes with six so obviously it's ideal for it, but honestly any mech where you don't want to focus on ballistics or which is good in other ways, can probably use a couple just for that "nope, don't want to deal with you" button.

They're not efficient in terms of total damage output compared to even things like rifles, but they are outstanding for their ability to delete mechs off the battlefield and allow you to concentrate on other targets, or to bring a lot of firepower onto a priority target. The rocket launchers are similar.

The other benefit is that because they have such massive firepower concentrated into a single weapon, they pair very well with breaching shot, as you can unload them one at a time (or use multi shot) to bypass damage resistance and get the maximum firepower out of each one.

A fully loaded corsair can usually strip the armour off an assault mech if you fire all the shots at once. And sure the assault mech will have more sustained firepower, but you get a round or two after that initial volley to start knocking out its components, so being able to do that damage quickly really does have a value all its own.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 21, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The most difficult battle of all is the impulse to use a UAC20 because they’re cool vs the knowledge and understanding that they’re not very good

Big boom tho

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
AC 20s don't seem very good since their range is so low. AC 10 BFs serve my big gun needs perfectly.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

AC 20s don't seem very good since their range is so low. AC 10 BFs serve my big gun needs perfectly.

Since you brought up BF I assume you mean in MW5.

The engagement ranges in that game are so short that the limited range of the AC20 doesn't really come into play. There's also something extremely satisfying about catching a light center mass with one and straight up coring it.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Do any of the big overhaul mods work without expansions? The DLC for this game is so expensive.

RogueTech works without tHe DLC, but obviously the DLC-added content won't be there.

Private Speech posted:

Roguetech has this, but it's also somewhat more difficult than the default game. Well if you set all the difficulty options on minimum it's going to be comparable to vanilla (there's a limited range you can select from).

In Roger Tech, you can randomizeene,my spawns to some extent... but more impotantly, you can manually set your drop location, within limits. (Can't drop within a certain distance from enemies, so you can cheese it a bit by using the forbidden areas to spot enemies that are already on th e field... won't reveal upcoming spawns, though.)

A major issue for convoy ambushes can be the spawn protection system - if you're in contact with the enemy on drop, there's a full turn where both sides can move, but not attack. This includes melee and all eeapons fire, so no more attack-ground for artillery splash damage, or FASCAM carpets to prepare the battlefield. (Mines were nerfed two major savebreaking updates ago, though, so it's not as big a deal now).

Where it *sucks* is that free movement turn - on smaller maps with fast vehicles, you can be boned before you can even attack.

Of course, RT is also a massive change from vanilla, and YMMV is likely to vary. You might want to check YubTub for videos by Baradul or Indibil, see if it's to your liking first.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Oblivious posted:

The most difficult battle of all is the impulse to use a UAC20 because they’re cool vs the knowledge and understanding that they’re not very good

Big boom tho

My favorite Orion loadout is 2 MLs, some SRMs to taste, and a UAC20.

Too bad they're not in BEXCE by default anymore unless that changed

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Big boom tho

The community addon pack for BTA comes with an R-UAC20, which can fire up to twelve rounds simultaneously. It weighs 20 tonnes and I have not managed to find a way to use it yet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

The community addon pack for BTA comes with an R-UAC20, which can fire up to twelve rounds simultaneously. It weighs 20 tonnes and I have not managed to find a way to use it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTlXw2qGB2w

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite Orion loadout is 2 MLs, some SRMs to taste, and a UAC20.

Too bad they're not in BEXCE by default anymore unless that changed

They are once the clans arrive :getin:

Big boom tho

UACs of all flavors are amazing, and it's really a question of weight/range/damage and what you need on that mech.

The key is to put them on pilots with high tac, ideally at least Tac 9. You get a 65% chance to hit a called shot to the CT, and there's pretty much nothing in the game that's going to take the kind of damage that a UAC10 or 20 can dish out center of mass without getting hurt, badly, if not killed outright.

If you want to see this in action on the cheap, stick a high tac pilot in the bullshark when you get it. Those two SLDF UAC5s can put out a world of hurt.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cyrano4747 posted:

They are once the clans arrive :getin:

Guess I know where I'm going to go kill my pilots at!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Guess I know where I'm going to go kill my pilots at!

The load screen suggestion that you start off taking half and one star missions isn't joking, btw.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cyrano4747 posted:

The load screen suggestion that you start off taking half and one star missions isn't joking, btw.

I know, I've run around there before lol, I just didn't realize they had UAC20s

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I know, I've run around there before lol, I just didn't realize they had UAC20s

You haven't met the Hunchback IIc?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OddObserver posted:

Plus a few summoner and iirc storm crow variants they swing it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OddObserver posted:

No, I love it

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

OwlFancier posted:

I slapped it in an omega :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Had my first bad crash with BTA 3062 last night: right as the mission completed.

Frustrating, but I'll shrug it off. The mission wasn't too painful. I think I'm more upset at the prior mission where 3 parts of a Dragon Fire dropped and I only had 2 free picks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I unlocked the Argo and I was wondering which planets should I make a note to visit to buy some prime parts and tech? I think I'm reaching the point where salvage doesn't offer me anything better than I already have (at this stage in the game), aside from weapons I can use to specialize my mechs and optimize my lance.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Jimbot posted:

I unlocked the Argo and I was wondering which planets should I make a note to visit to buy some prime parts and tech? I think I'm reaching the point where salvage doesn't offer me anything better than I already have (at this stage in the game), aside from weapons I can use to specialize my mechs and optimize my lance.

If you're playing vanilla, any world with a black market is where you want to be doing your shopping. Various modpacks tone these down a lot but without them its not only feasible but flatly optimal to take full money on contracts and just buy all of your poo poo from the black markets once you get the access event.

If you do not have black market access yet, the best runner up is anything with either IS level civilization (rare until you get full map access) or former star league presence. Research worlds are also good.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

you should try taking on harder contracts, but from the sound of it you're playing the campaign. so what's your lance and the next story mission?

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Big boom tho

I got a Blitzkrieg with a UAC20 as a starter mech in my new BTA campaign. That thing's life consists of running up to enemy mechs to kick them in the shins and then unloading UAC rounds.

Surprisingly effective until you miss a 95% hit chance shot and instead one shot your own mech 3 tiles away.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Oh hey, my start with BTA has definitely had a lot of kicking people in the back and then alpha strikes, so I feel you. I have been enjoying the jump in difficulty even if the ai is still real bad. (I just had an Urbie sprint a surprisingly far distance, fire it’s coil, and shut down, vs 8 EVA).

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Dual UAC20's on a Highlander is just sick.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's funny I posted about hitting a plateau for my mechs then I get a mission that has me tackle two assault mechs, which was piss easy because the AI were on opposing sides and just annihilated each other. All it took was one round on my end and I got myself enough parts to build a Battlemaster BLR-1S. How should I build this thing? It has 4 laser and 5 missile hardpoints. I'm still early in the campaign, my next mission is "Liberation: Panzyr".

As for the current discussion, are UACs not great? I've been using AC10s and 20s on a couple mech for my better "sniper" gunners and their alpha damage is really strong. It makes me want to launch out a window when they miss but I've been stacking a lot of missiles on my other mechs, so I have something to pick up the slack in those situations.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
UACs are great, but the larger ones tend to be weaker than the smaller ones. Compared to the UAC/5, the /10 and /20 give up range and gain recoil, but don't get much in return: they're about as efficient in turning space/heat into damage (modestly worse once you start getting into ++ versions, but accounting for heat gets complicated), and the ability to deal damage in bigger chunks isn't worth much (unlike the tabletop version of the game, where I hear that it's a big deal). They do let you get more out of a limited number of ballistic slots, but that isn't too much of a consideration for anything except the Annihilator

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
4x UAC5s is probably my favorite weapons loadout available.

I threw those and a UAC20 on my Annihilator for fun just to really gently caress over anything that gets close, and I'm pretty sure I had the same UAC5s on my Bullshark. I forgot what else I had, but I don't think it was much else, because I frankly didn't need anything else.

I'm pretty sure 5x UAC5s is the optimal Annihilator loadout but having a fuckoff button was more fun.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 22, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

HundredBears posted:

UACs are great, but the larger ones tend to be weaker than the smaller ones.

Are you thinking of LBXes? Those are the ones where the 2 & 5 are good, the 10 is kinda ok, and 20 is meh.

HundredBears posted:

Compared to the UAC/5, the /10 and /20 give up range and gain recoil, but don't get much in return: they're about as efficient in turning space/heat into damage (modestly worse once you start getting into ++ versions, but accounting for heat gets complicated), and the ability to deal damage in bigger chunks isn't worth much (unlike the tabletop version of the game, where I hear that it's a big deal). They do let you get more out of a limited number of ballistic slots, but that isn't too much of a consideration for anything except the Annihilator

UACs have the same pattern as the normal ACs where the 5 is better than the 10, and the 20 is fantastic. Dealing damage in big chunks is worth a lot, that's how you go internal and pop limbs from straight-on shots. While it's true crits are toned down in this compared to TTG, it's still valuable to avoid sandpapering when possible.

2x 100 damage is a lot of damage. If the recoil on the UAC20 makes firing twice in a row unfavorable because your pilot isn't max guts, then the 48 heat will also be a problem.

(I'm also ignoring + variants, and the marauder headcap build that uses UAC5s.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol BEXCE never figured out how to get xl engines to work huh? A firestarter apparently shot the same side four times to break four xl engine parts (???) to blow up my sldf stinger - except not really, it's still in the bay. The pilot died of shock, I guess

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Klyith posted:

Are you thinking of LBXes? Those are the ones where the 2 & 5 are good, the 10 is kinda ok, and 20 is meh.

UACs have the same pattern as the normal ACs where the 5 is better than the 10, and the 20 is fantastic. Dealing damage in big chunks is worth a lot, that's how you go internal and pop limbs from straight-on shots. While it's true crits are toned down in this compared to TTG, it's still valuable to avoid sandpapering when possible.

Time-to-kill is so low and the player's ability to focus damage on a few sections so high that I don't see too much value in concentrating that damage into a few hits. Lots of the time, an enemy mech isn't going to get a chance to attack in between when you start shooting at it seriously and when it dies, so blowing off an arm doesn't actually do much and the only crits that matter are ammo explosions. In that sort of environment, big packets of damage are higher-variance: more likely to blow off a leg or destroy a side torso while its arm still has lots of health, but also more likely to spread most of their damage across pristine sections on the wrong side when shooting from the front or to waste damage on a high-health arm when the side torso that it's attached to only has 40 structure left. They're no doubt still positive expected value, but given how much the game is structured so that the median result (of a contract, an engagement, or just a few volleys) is favorable to the player, I'm much more interested in decreasing the chances and severity of below-average outcomes than looking for above-average ones.

I agree that the recoil isn't a very important disadvantage (and may still be overestimating how much of one it is, because I'm only using UAC/20s early in a career where I have limited weapon options and my pilots are staying around Guts 5) nor would I say that dealing damage in big chunks is useless. I just don't see how it's anything more than a minor benefit compared to an extra 270 meters of range. The ability to divide-and-conquer enemies, play games with initiative and line-of-sight so much more easily, do spotter and sniper shenanigans, kite shorter-ranged enemy mechs or just kill them while they're trying to close, get into range a turn early on ambush convoy missions, engage a lance in a defend base contract early while you're still close to the base and then be able to turn around and quickly get into range of the lance coming from the opposite direction, etc. is quite valuable.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Floppychop posted:

Since you brought up BF I assume you mean in MW5.

The engagement ranges in that game are so short that the limited range of the AC20 doesn't really come into play. There's also something extremely satisfying about catching a light center mass with one and straight up coring it.
MW5 also apparently doesn't have ballistic damage falloff on by default which I've definitely abused by just shooting everything in sight with double King Crab AC/20.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Klyith posted:

2x 100 damage is a lot of damage. If the recoil on the UAC20 makes firing twice in a row unfavorable because your pilot isn't max guts, then the 48 heat will also be a problem.

(I'm also ignoring + variants, and the marauder headcap build that uses UAC5s.)

Nah it’s the same with UACs. UAC 2s and 5s are strictly superior for both damage weight and tonnage to 10s and 20s. There is no universe in which the 20 isn’t basically a gimmick.

It’s a very entertaining gimmick! But you could kill mechs more efficiently with other weapons.

I still do it for funsies sometimes but I ain’t gonna convince myself I’m not loving around.

Two UAC2s and two ERMLs is the same damage for less heat at better range than a UAC20. Same net slots used too.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 22, 2023

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Insert name here posted:

MW5 also apparently doesn't have ballistic damage falloff on by default which I've definitely abused by just shooting everything in sight with double King Crab AC/20.

Oh, I have two of the big AC10 shotguns on my King Crab, am I doing it wrong?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Oh, I have two of the big AC10 shotguns on my King Crab, am I doing it wrong?

Do you mean the LBX-10 AC? If so, no that’s an excellent weapon in MW5. Both the regular version and the SLD are quite good, regular LBX got buffed significantly in Call to Arms.

If you mean an actual AC 10 or AC10 BF then yeah you’re undergunning the King Crab badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nah it’s the same with UACs. UAC 2s and 5s are strictly superior for both damage weight and tonnage to 10s and 20s. There is no universe in which the 20 isn’t basically a gimmick.

It’s a very entertaining gimmick! But you could kill mechs more efficiently with other weapons.

I still do it for funsies sometimes but I ain’t gonna convince myself I’m not loving around.

Two UAC2s and two ERMLs is the same damage for less heat at better range than a UAC20. Same net slots used too.

This is really only true for the modern iteration of the MW games (MWO, MW5) because they made firing rate a variable. That lone helps even the lowly vanilla AC2 not be total poo poo. In BT the damage of the low caliber ACs was flat out buffed to make them much more feasible.

But TT? A UAC 2 is 7 tons for IS. That plus two ERML takes you to 9 tons, for a damage output (if we're talking TT values) of 18/turn assuming everything hits. More like 16/turn if we assume an average of 50% of the extra UAC shots land, and we're looking at spreading that damage out all over the mech. Doing that generates 14 heat.

Meanwhile two bone stock large lasers gives you 16 damage for 16 heat with more or less the same range envelope that you're getting with the ERML. You end up one ton heavier but in return you're putting your damage out in two 8 point blocks rather than 2/2/2/2/5/5

Being a person who can just hold the pip over CT in MW5/MWO makes that irrelevant, of course, and is a huge reason why TTK goes through the roof and ML laservom designs like the Hunch-P and the Nova can be such monsters, and aimed shot does more or less the same thing in BT. But in TT not spreading your damage all the gently caress over the place is pretty huge.

See also: SRMs. We used to house rules that they clustered in shots of <# that hit/2> rather than rolling each missile individually, both to speed up the game by cutting down on dice rolls and to make them not terrible.