Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Been catching up on Psiops battlegrounds, and accidentally pressed R3 to revive a downed guardian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Alright fess up, who wrote this?

https://twitter.com/lizardkelp/status/1627002058124697600?s=20

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

We already have a lot of hot, androgynous schemers in the world and so I'm glad all the promotional material is about Nimbus being "hotheaded" and "inexperienced" because that means they get to be in the hallowed ranks of hot dumb thembo.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
The cloud striders only live to be 10? Are they a type of bulldog or something

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
they're pitbulls for vex

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
did they ever resolve the whole 'what's the deal with calus and his physical body' twist from d2 vanilla?

he had a normal body that whole time he was just chilling in a different part of the ship?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't remember how Haunted ended but I would swear Calus like... had no body? And he uploaded his consciousness straight into the.. pyramid or something? fuc

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
too many cool plot threads. send them to naraka

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

haveblue posted:

I thought so too but in the video he has his shield before the knight is dead, you can see brief flashes of it around 31 seconds in. I thought they might have patched out the ability to kill him when they continued his story with Zero Hour, but this video was posted long before that

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2-snIfal5E

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
The lore in Presage revealed he was basically on Cabal life support - constantly having treatment from his Loyalists to stay alive.

Haunted implies he merged his consciousness with that of the Leviathan, using the egregore plants to support it. References feeling the Guardians "scurrying" around inside him.

All season, he's attempting to take control/interface with the Lunar Pyramid - but I assume after we curtail him taking control of it, he instead makes a direct call to the Witness, who presumably provides him with his new body.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

haveblue posted:

(along with the rest of Titan)

nuh-uh!!! you go to titan in gambit. :shepface:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kith posted:

nuh-uh!!! you go to titan in gambit. :shepface:

and Crucible!

The Io, Mercury, Titan and Mars tilesets were never removed from the game even when the planets were vaulted

In D1 the crucible maps were canonically actual destinations that the Shaxx Robots had cordoned off and kept safe for our playtime. I know the 'Lighthouse' is just a simulation, but I'm guessing things like Javelin and Pacifica are also simulations?

... Or Bungie assumes we don't give a crap and it's just there in-game because it's video games

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

GruntyThrst posted:

Second question: I have SO MUCH lore to catch up on. Is Ishtar still the place to go for that? I wanna read all the little lore greebles not just watch a summary from Byf or something

for the past year or so one of the mods on /r/DestinyLore has been maintaining a seasonal archive both of relevant past stuff to that season as well as current active stuff released that season. it’s a pinned post and should be a big help on getting more recent stuff in less broad strokes

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Jetamo posted:

The lore in Presage revealed he was basically on Cabal life support - constantly having treatment from his Loyalists to stay alive.

Haunted implies he merged his consciousness with that of the Leviathan, using the egregore plants to support it. References feeling the Guardians "scurrying" around inside him.

All season, he's attempting to take control/interface with the Lunar Pyramid - but I assume after we curtail him taking control of it, he instead makes a direct call to the Witness, who presumably provides him with his new body.

note that it’s not uncommon for tough adult Cabal to emerge ready to go from clone vats—like the bathers you kill in Leviathan—and thus anyone with sufficient paracausal power and access to Calus’s consciousness could easily just pop him into a new top-of-the-line Cabal body, yeah

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

dodgeblan posted:

did they ever resolve the whole 'what's the deal with calus and his physical body' twist from d2 vanilla?

he had a normal body that whole time he was just chilling in a different part of the ship?

We have one first-person account of the real deal Calus pre-Lightfall and it's not pretty - dude is completely hosed up and his body is breaking down. He speaks through the robots, sure, but he's also effectively fitted into one as life support apparatus.

There's this bit in Duality which might also reference this - after you've done the second encounter and are progressing onwards, there's a room with a secret chest underneath a giant box covered by a cloth. We never see inside that box, and I don't think there's an explanation for what it is elsewhere in the game. I've always took that to be the box the physical Calus is trapped in when not using mechanical assistance.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Raid bosses are funny man, it's like "I'm an ultra powerful god thing and nothing could hurt me...unless some churlish knaves were to stand on these platforms in a specific order that nobody would know unless they were looking at the decorations on my wall!"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Remember when we fight a worm god and all he does is spit crap and call for help?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Raid bosses are funny man, it's like "I'm an ultra powerful god thing and nothing could hurt me...unless some churlish knaves were to stand on these platforms in a specific order that nobody would know unless they were looking at the decorations on my wall!"

We invaded some dude's basement and kicked his rear end while he was getting into his spider wheelchair

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Rhulks fight makes more sense with the detail that he isn't taking it seriously until the final stand and is basically just loving with you until then

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

and Crucible!

The Io, Mercury, Titan and Mars tilesets were never removed from the game even when the planets were vaulted

In D1 the crucible maps were canonically actual destinations that the Shaxx Robots had cordoned off and kept safe for our playtime. I know the 'Lighthouse' is just a simulation, but I'm guessing things like Javelin and Pacifica are also simulations?

... Or Bungie assumes we don't give a crap and it's just there in-game because it's video games

Saint figured out how to simulate maps and suggested Shax do the same. Now all of the crucible maps are simulated.

Edit: Actually Osiris gave the simulation tech to Saint then Saint built it out for trails, then gave it to Shaxx.

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 21, 2023

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

I like to imagine Drifter piggybacks off of those simulations, like stealing cable from your neighbor

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

arsenicCatnip posted:

I like to imagine Drifter piggybacks off of those simulations, like stealing cable from your neighbor

Nah Drifter 100% is fine dragging your rear end to cordoned off areas that will get you legit killed. And we love him for it.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

for the past year or so one of the mods on /r/DestinyLore has been maintaining a seasonal archive both of relevant past stuff to that season as well as current active stuff released that season. it’s a pinned post and should be a big help on getting more recent stuff in less broad strokes

Do you have a link to this? I’m not very familiar with how reddit works and I don’t see anything resembling this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think this is going to be a silly question because I'm sure its a "hell no" but have they said anything about cleaning up the way quests are presented? Like at least give us a timeline order sorting? I have some quests in my log and I know I've done quite a few of them out of order because I have no clue which ones should come before the other ones story wise.

I'm watching a recap lore video and I've hella hosed up the story order already.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

The downside of their “you had to be there” story and lore system is, well, you had to be there. Putting everything in order after the fact is a fool’s errand because the story isn’t always linear.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

if you look at the story stuff as a pool you dive into and not a single path you follow you'll be happier

hell I've been around since the beginning and I don't consume every possible piece of info in the game

find what interests you and dig into it - sometimes it's a small one off, sometimes you'll find cool links and a rabbit hole - it's destiny dorkeology

the big beats aren't hard to follow, you can catch up on everything from shadow keep to now with a few videos or a written summary

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Honestly, just focus on whatever bit of lore sounds the most interesting.
My favorite is the bit from D1 where one of the Warlock Iron Lords hit some loving guy with the Titan flying knee, from a sitting position.

Or the part where Ikora is the only one to have beaten Shaxx in the Crucible.

SmallpoxJenkins fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 21, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

fun fact: this is actually something the lore talks about. see, in the destiny universe, being invulnerable involves setting up checks and balances to perpetuate a system that makes it happen. best example of that is oryx: he wanted to be invulnerable, so he popped open notepad and started loving with oryx.txt, putting variables like "can be shot to death" into some bombs that destroy everything (and then shoving those into some ogres for safekeeping). the end result is that oryx was only truly vulnerable when those bombs went off and exposed his weakpoint, but since they're so wildly destructive it almost never mattered that his heart was exposed for a minute because anyone trying to kill him was reduced to a smear.

but now the problem is that these super-bombs could dust his dreadnought since they continue exploding if they kill all non-oryx entities present since they're made out of deathsong, so he puts an enchanted knight that can withstand the detonations in charge of being a counterweight to his insane security setup. however, enchantments can be stolen very easily, so oryx also pops open knight.txt to shift some more variables around, cutting "is mortal" and pasting it into three parts in the ascendant plane. so now he's got an immortal knight with a paracausal shield, oryx can blow everything up as much as he wants without having to worry about disintegrating his ship or taking any meaningful damage from would-be assassins!

except that doing all of that leaves a paper trail because rituals lose power if they are not followed, so all it takes is some analysis from up to six people with infinite revives to reverse engineer the process and turn it against him by undoing the knight's immortality and stealing its enchantment so they can ignore oryx's bombs and shoot him in the chest until he expires from being too well-ventilated.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Remember when we fight a worm god and all he does is spit crap and call for help?

xol let us kill him because he saw Touch of Malice and was like "poo poo, oryx is a gun now and gorging himself on the Guardian's tribute without having to lift a finger, i gotta get me some of that". that "fight" was mostly xol just breaking poo poo and being like "LOOK AT HOW POWERFUL MY LASERS ARE, WOULDN'T IT BE RAD IF I WAS A GUN YOU COULD SHOOT" to convince us to later complete the anthem athame and turn him into Whisper of the Worm so he too could live the sweet life of us hand-feeding him tribute without having to put forth any effort

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I've kind of lost track of how many sentient weapons/gods/people are in my backpack

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

victrix posted:

I've kind of lost track of how many sentient weapons/gods/people are in my backpack

This is called out in the lore card for the Spire exotic (which is also a former character)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

basically every raid mechanic can be completed by six chumps with guns because the rituals in place that power the raid boss's paracausal invulnerability have to be able to be performed consistently by their underlings or the rituals stop working, best case scenario being that they're suddenly vulnerable and worst case being that the backlash kills them outright.

alternatively they're invulnerable because of a localized super-shield at work because fancy clovis bray science, in which case all you have to do is turn it off - usually by just shooting the power box

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like the short version of defeating invincible bosses is the "paracausality" excuse. Like half of the raid bosses aren't even paracausal, so they're at a comical disadvantage.

It's like a "only magic can defeat magic" - no invincibility is limitless, and any invincibility gained through paracaual magic, can be countered with paracaual magic.

Much in the same way guardians aren't undefeatable either. The flipside of "lol stand on some plates" is "lol shoot the ghost"

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

It’s just that evil in the destiny universe is really stubborn about wanting to beat us “the right way” instead of cheesing us with the ghost kill strat

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
My favorite bits of lore are the ones exploring what actual dipshit humans would do if granted immortality like "repeatedly jump off tall things just to see how it feels"

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There are points where it does create a bit of ~ludonarrative dissonance~, like dying to Atheon and being trapped in the corridors of time would probably mean that we were cut off from the rest of the universe, but we still pop up after the team wipe like normal.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
That's almost certainly ~the Light~ working through us to actuate different possibilities for your fireteam in the same way the Traveler worked to allow the flourishing of different civilizations across the cosmos. There is a general move toward complexity, diversity, and continuity, which sits at odds with a team wipe because someone couldn't stand on the right plate

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Kith posted:

xol let us kill him because he saw Touch of Malice and was like "poo poo, oryx is a gun now and gorging himself on the Guardian's tribute without having to lift a finger, i gotta get me some of that". that "fight" was mostly xol just breaking poo poo and being like "LOOK AT HOW POWERFUL MY LASERS ARE, WOULDN'T IT BE RAD IF I WAS A GUN YOU COULD SHOOT" to convince us to later complete the anthem athame and turn him into Whisper of the Worm so he too could live the sweet life of us hand-feeding him tribute without having to put forth any effort

So the real victory over Xol was power creep and nobody using him anymore. WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY REPLACED ME WITH GJALLARHORN?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hobnob posted:

So the real victory over Xol was power creep and nobody using him anymore. WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY REPLACED ME WITH GJALLARHORN?

Truly insidious victory achieved by Tower gunsmiths: leaving those sentient god-weapons to languish and diminish in people's backpacks because they figured out how to sell a more explodey rocket launcher.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

arsenicCatnip posted:

holy poo poo, I just realized what new Calus reminds me of

WAIT

Add this to the OP please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

GruntyThrst posted:

Do you have a link to this? I’m not very familiar with how reddit works and I don’t see anything resembling this.

oops, it’s not currently pinned! here’s this season’s: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyLore/comments/ze92eu/season_of_the_seraph_archive/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

here’s the previous season, Plunder: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyLore/comments/wvtq3m/season_of_plunder_archive/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

and here’s the one before that, Haunted: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyLore/comments/v7l36u/season_of_the_haunted_archive/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf