Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

field balm posted:

Got snowed on for the first time in my life at kenrokuen! Was gonna check out the geisha districts tomorrow but the forecast is max 2 degrees celcius and snowing so might do some museums and shopping instead.

What? You got snowed on in Kanazawa? It’s winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Serious post, the afternoon before yesterday and yesterday rained all day. Skiing was a drag and I end up gojng to some sake brewery

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Busy Bee posted:

Are the flights booked together or separately? If separate, 1.5 hrs seems very tight considering the flight from the states to Haneda could be delayed.

It was booked together all with ANA. I’m thinking of rebooking to a flight with a 3.5 hour layover.

Also, FWIW, as a Disneyworld passholder, I loved Disneysea. It’s my personal favorite park. But not really because of the rides. I like a good coaster and all, but rides are tertiary compared to vibes and food for me.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

KidDynamite posted:

i don't get the disney sea hype. the closing show was baller but most of the rides had insane waits(which we either paid to cut, or went on the MUCH shorter single rider line) and were kind of tame. aesthetic was on point but after getting there a little before opening i was aesthetic-ed out by noon.

You don't go for the rides. If that was your goal, you did it wrong.

E: you did see Big Band Beat, right? Right? You did go to Tokyo Disney Sea, and see the best show at any Disney park. Right?

It's not the only reason to go. You also go just to wander around and enjoy the place. Maybe do a ride of two. But just relax and enjoy the place.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 20, 2023

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Nanigans posted:

It was booked together all with ANA. I’m thinking of rebooking to a flight with a 3.5 hour layover.

Also, FWIW, as a Disneyworld passholder, I loved Disneysea. It’s my personal favorite park. But not really because of the rides. I like a good coaster and all, but rides are tertiary compared to vibes and food for me.

If it was booked together then it should be fine. If you miss your connecting flight it's the airline's and they will compensate you. And the people on the connecting flight has the passenger list of the first flight and will usually wait for you, unless the delay on the first place is ridiculous.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Busy Bee posted:

If it was booked together then it should be fine. If you miss your connecting flight it's the airline's and they will compensate you. And the people on the connecting flight has the passenger list of the first flight and will usually wait for you, unless the delay on the first place is ridiculous.

This is really reassuring. Thanks!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

Look, coming from a country where the weather ranges from "pretty hot" to "really hot", it was exciting for me ok :colbert:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

You don't go for the rides. If that was your goal, you did it wrong.

E: you did see Big Band Beat, right? Right? You did go to Tokyo Disney Sea, and see the best show at any Disney park. Right?

It's not the only reason to go. You also go just to wander around and enjoy the place. Maybe do a ride of two. But just relax and enjoy the place.

i have adhd and no adderall because japan the vibe being right lasts for about 2 minutes. i think the park in general could use two big coasters to eat up the wait on the existing attractions.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

i don't get the disney sea hype. the closing show was baller but most of the rides had insane waits(which we either paid to cut, or went on the MUCH shorter single rider line) and were kind of tame. aesthetic was on point but after getting there a little before opening i was aesthetic-ed out by noon.

Disneyland Japan and Disney Sea are both pretty bad imho. They feel void, empty, soulless. Disney Sea in particular feels like a half-baked attempt at Disney but ended up coming off closer to the bad imitation in Korea: Lotteworld. I went to Disneyland in Anaheim after going to Disney Japan with my wife a bunch of times and it was just a richer and more detailed place, with more to see and do. I think that's what you get when the hype and fandom of Disney is so strong before the parks were even built - and they built it to accommodate those people. As others said, you don't go for the rides (because there's only like 3 actual "rides" there anyways).

There's some decent theme parks in Japan. Universal Japan is alright and Fuji-Q Highland has shorter lines and bigger rides.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Just a gentle reminder that don't be an rear end in a top hat in Japan. Or anywhere.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/1169g7t/livestreamer_in_japan_gets_called_out_for_playing/

Link related.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

quote:

correct me if i’m wrong, but when people are on japanese subways. there’s little to no interaction tolerated, right?

quote:

Correct. Other than low-volume conversation with your travel mates, silence is expected.
lol

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Asteroid Alert posted:

Just a gentle reminder that don't be an rear end in a top hat in Japan. Or anywhere.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/1169g7t/livestreamer_in_japan_gets_called_out_for_playing/

Link related.

Some of the comments nailed it, that’s a 40-something Peter Pan still working entry level at an eikaiwa to pay for a lovely apartment he probably tries to take college girls back to.

If I ran into that I’d probably tell him to turn that poo poo off, put a mask on and stop being an rear end in a top hat. The fact that any of the Japanese dudes on the train did anything should be a sign that he Really Pissed Them Off.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

harperdc posted:

Some of the comments nailed it, that’s a 40-something Peter Pan still working entry level at an eikaiwa to pay for a lovely apartment he probably tries to take college girls back to.

Well I feel seen. You forgot the Hub.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

that dude sucks. also first time i've heard urusai and keiru used by non-actors.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Asteroid Alert posted:

Link related.

I love Sus, he just gets quite stupid when he is trashed.

I've been telling him he needs to get an apartment near Shinjuku so he doesn't need to be on the train so much.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Ned posted:

I've been telling him he needs to get an apartment near Shinjuku so he doesn't need to be on the train so much.

I don't know, man, you're close enough to Tokyo that surely you can find better friends than that.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

totalnewbie posted:

I don't know, man, you're close enough to Tokyo that surely you can find better friends than that.

Sus is very entertaining to me.

I have friends out here, but I have fun with him when I go to Tokyo. The stuff on stream is a bit over the top but he's not very good at listening.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I'm not surprised

I could only watch like a few seconds of that because I know I will cringe collapse in myself and become a singularity if I try to watch the whole thing.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Disney danshi ITT.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

got dragged to teamlabs:foot fungus factory. loving hated it. full of cunts that can't wear a loving mask because they have to take an instagram photo with 50 other cunts in the background for their 20 followers.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You've been there almost three weeks. It doesn't seem like you are enjoying yourself any more.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

You've been there almost three weeks. It doesn't seem like you are enjoying yourself any more.

not enjoying disney or teamlabs does not equal not enjoying japan.

weird to equate those.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Ned posted:

You actually know and associate with that guy in real life?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 21, 2023

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Imagine admitting to that lol

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Busy Bee posted:

You actually know and associate with that guy in real life?

Yep. We hang out every once in a while and he's come over here.

He's actually super entertaining.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Mister Chief posted:

Imagine admitting to that lol

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Ned is a very special person and kind host. He doesn’t judge anyone but makes or made questionable life choices. Whereas I am very judgey and make even more questionable life choices

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

so from the last time we stayed here the tobu levant no longer does an airport shuttle. lol lmao. my wife didn't check this when she booked and assumed everything was running as usual. now we have to figure out how the gently caress to get to the airport with 4 luggages(2 souvenir and stuff we want bought here). my plan is pack everything and ship it to the airport by noon thursday and grab the train from kinshicho station with our back packs as much as that will suck.

any possibilities that are easier than that?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

KidDynamite posted:

so from the last time we stayed here the tobu levant no longer does an airport shuttle. lol lmao. my wife didn't check this when she booked and assumed everything was running as usual. now we have to figure out how the gently caress to get to the airport with 4 luggages(2 souvenir and stuff we want bought here). my plan is pack everything and ship it to the airport by noon thursday and grab the train from kinshicho station with our back packs as much as that will suck.

any possibilities that are easier than that?

I am assuming Narita but you could take a cab(or two) to Tokyo station and take the NEX or a bus to the airport. You could also go to Ueno and take the Skyliner. If you are going to Haneda then you can take a cab to Hamamatsucho and get the Monorail from there.

Two suitcases per person isn't the end of the world and the trains that go to the airport give people a lot of time to board.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ned posted:

I am assuming Narita but you could take a cab(or two) to Tokyo station and take the NEX or a bus to the airport. You could also go to Ueno and take the Skyliner. If you are going to Haneda then you can take a cab to Hamamatsucho and get the Monorail from there.

Two suitcases per person isn't the end of the world and the trains that go to the airport give people a lot of time to board.

narita is correct. this is good to know. we will definitely have the souvenir suitcases packed on time but who knows about clothes. being able to haul everything together rather than splitting things up and dealing with that stress seem a lot better. thanks ned.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

KidDynamite posted:

narita is correct. this is good to know. we will definitely have the souvenir suitcases packed on time but who knows about clothes. being able to haul everything together rather than splitting things up and dealing with that stress seem a lot better. thanks ned.

Might be a little late but you could cancel your hotel tomorrow night(Wednesday) and I can come help you haul things out here and you can crash tomorrow, and I'll help you take your stuff to the airport on Thursday. I don't have any plans for the next two days and I enjoy having guests.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The luggage stuff never would have happened if you let Wonton completely plan your trip.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Wonton posted:

Ned is a very special person and kind host. He doesn’t judge anyone but makes or made questionable life choices. Whereas I am very judgey and make even more questionable life choices

Current Waifu even better.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Most taxis have a flat-rate airport service, you can expect to pay around 8000 yen (may vary by time, vehicle size, Haneda/Narita, etc). Your hotel can book it for you.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Most taxis have a flat-rate airport service, you can expect to pay around 8000 yen (may vary by time, vehicle size, Haneda/Narita, etc). Your hotel can book it for you.

And from memory the NEX is like 3200/person, so that’s not a bad extra charge to have the convenience of a ride straight to the airport.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I think the Keisei Skyliner is even cheaper at about 2k jpy though it doesn't take you all the way to Shinjuku. Very close to Ueno, though.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

peanut posted:

hotel just quoted me 22000 yen. if you have a name or number for a flat rate place let me know cause hotel's rate is absurd.

edit: googling a bit the 22000 seems in line with current prices.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
22k flat rate to NRT is not too bad from the city.

That place is far.

https://s.klook.com/c/13r9y0

It’s a nicer Alphard , not sure if it’s cheaper?