Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Ralph Crammed In posted:

There's very little zombies in this show that is ostensively about zombies. But there is enough guns to get goons all lathered up about guns.

Also the dialogue is not good. Or is it just me? Everything seems very prepackaged, like they are just copying and pasting lines from other movies and shows and changing it just enough that the plagiarization software doesn't detect it. I haven't played the games so I don't know if that's because of the game.

It's very pretty though and it's shot well. Makes me homesick for the wide-open spaces.

A ton of stuff is straight from the game so hardly "lifted from other media" and it is definitely the most impactful beats in the show. Overall this hits better than most of the schlock on tv in the last decade. I'd love to hear what you think has better writing?

I mean its not perfect but I am struggling to think of anything of comparable quality this year on tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Private military contractors didn't really take off until after 2004, so that type of stuff wouldn't have been common in the show's universe because poo poo went to hell in 2003.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mobby_6kl posted:

I just assumed that was like a Blackwater type of contractor

The first episode had Joel and Tommy talking about doing a concrete pour job or whatever.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Joel would’ve voted for Bush and then John McCain. Tommy would have not voted and then only written in the good doctor Ron Paul every election after.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
it's good but i'm finding myself leaning back towards "why does this exist" post-gay romance episode. its well made but this is like C tier for me in terms of HBO shows.

still head and shoulders above most other TV but i can't say i'm excited to see where this goes or when the next episode will air.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I figure Joel and Tommy are both veterans who did their time, got out, and had a lovely contracting business together installing floors and putting up fences and poo poo.

Lot of gun nuts getting bothered in this thread but what really bugged me was the slight neck turn instant death. That just doesn't work, at least have Joel stab the guy or something.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Joel seems to say outright that he wasn't a veteran. Tommy was because he wanted to join something larger than himself, the same reason he joined the Fireflies.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I love the detail that Joel doesn't hear out of his right ear so well...and he was laying on his left side when Henry and Sam snuck up on them. Bat man approached him from behind and his right in this episode.

Is it ok to mention stuff from the game in this thread if they're not spoilers? In the game you have a "listen real hard" button so you can locate enemies and sneak up on them

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Kwolok posted:

I mean its not perfect but I am struggling to think of anything of comparable quality this year on tv.

Well, yeah, it’s February.

This was my favorite episode so far though. I’m excited to see Pedro Pascal finally getting to do a bit more than his gruff man act.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Felt like that episode could have been a whole season. Or at least 3-4 episodes. Not saying it felt rushed per se, just lamenting that we could have got more out of it.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

what really bugged me was the slight neck turn instant death.

Didn't exactly bug me, but it seems pretty stupid that this roaming band of raiders would have survived 20 years in this world, only to meet their end by running up on these two like this.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Felt like that episode could have been a whole season. Or at least 3-4 episodes. Not saying it felt rushed per se, just lamenting that we could have got more out of it.

Didn't exactly bug me, but it seems pretty stupid that this roaming band of raiders would have survived 20 years in this world, only to meet their end by running up on these two like this.

Well, if the game is canon, there are a whoollllle lot of people who could have kept surviving the wastelands if they’d just let those two pass by without any trouble.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

There's just little stuff that is annoying and videogamey like monster closets. They were out in the open and this guy just spawned out of nowhere. Like the first guy Ellie killed. Then when they are around lots of loot, don't bother picking any of it up because the next map your inventory gets reset. Then when the horde rushes out of the hole, they hide behind the same car again, rather than run away directly to their sniper. I think the acting and production values carries this show a long way.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You mean the one raider who critically, possibly mortally wounded his attacker and the other three who ran them off with no damage? What's stupid about that? poo poo happens.

E: time for another week of this guy showing up every third post

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 21, 2023

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Moltke posted:

it's good but i'm finding myself leaning back towards "why does this exist" post-gay romance episode. its well made but this is like C tier for me in terms of HBO shows.

still head and shoulders above most other TV but i can't say i'm excited to see where this goes or when the next episode will air.

Honestly as good as the Pascal acting was it just reminded me of Kevin’s monologue’s in Leftovers and how much more compelling that show was

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

covidstomper58 posted:

There's just little stuff that is annoying and videogamey like monster closets. They were out in the open and this guy just spawned out of nowhere. Like the first guy Ellie killed. Then when they are around lots of loot, don't bother picking any of it up because the next map your inventory gets reset. Then when the horde rushes out of the hole, they hide behind the same car again, rather than run away directly to their sniper. I think the acting and production values carries this show a long way.

I think these are just normal TV writing issues and you might be projecting a little bit because you're aware of the source material. I don't think the show is guilty of "spawning" enemies in any sense at all.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm digging the fact that Ellie didn't shoot wildly when that dude got the drop on Joel. I can easily see myself firing willy-nilly in that situation. I'd back-shoot the gently caress outta anybody attacking my family.

Now that I typed that, I have to imaging she learned that restraint after watching Henry shooting Sam in the last episode.

Also, I'm hoping against hope to see that couple again in the next episode. It wouldn't have to be much. Just Ellie meeting that dude in the woods and him saying, "I can't help him, but you can take this," and him giving her the bow. Though I suppose they are across a river now.

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 21, 2023

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

To people who didn't play the game: are you emotionally invested in the Joel/Ellie relationship?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mantis42 posted:

To people who didn't play the game: are you emotionally invested in the Joel/Ellie relationship?

I think they have a nice dynamic but I don't really give a poo poo about them as a pair, no. Then again I don't really give a poo poo about ships of any kind for the most part, in any series or movie I've watched. I'm more interested in how they get from A (beginning of the series) to B (taking Ellie to wherever the Fireflies are) and the poo poo that goes on in between rather than how they develop into a father-daughter pair or whatever.

e: Like this episode fell kinda flat for me because "nothing happened." If there was like 10-15 more minutes spent on showing me why the university was abandoned and less time showing me a theater full of kids watching a movie it would have been much better.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 21, 2023

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

McSpanky posted:

You mean the one raider who critically, possibly mortally wounded his attacker and the other three who ran them off with no damage? What's stupid about that?

The part where they lost 25% of their men on a pointless and terribly executed attack.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

And Ellie made a point about how Joel trained her well to check her six and so on. There were two of them, one could keep watch while the other say got on the horse. And to the goon that was going to buy that jacket of his, don't bother it can't even resist a broken stick, in fact it reduces your armor class.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

They could have been getting desperate without food and without ammunition. An opportunity to sneak up on two people, one of whom is a kid, and they have a horse, that’s about as good as it gets.

I can’t fault the raiders for taking that chance. I mean, morally I can, but if they’re not willing to jump Joel & Ellie, are they even raiders?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Shame that the old couple wasn't welcomed into the nice communist community.

Was also expecting that the river of death to be a bunch of drowned infected laying in wait for people to get too close to the shore.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Communism and its make‐work jobs 😤

They got this fellow out there shovelling firewood.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IllfatedElderlyAmurstarfish.mp4

I’m also not sure what the guy dragging a stick is going, coming in from the right halfway through the clip.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 21, 2023

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

They could have been getting desperate without food and without ammunition. An opportunity to sneak up on two people, one of whom is a kid, and they have a horse, that’s about as good as it gets.

I can’t fault the raiders for taking that chance. I mean, morally I can, but if they’re not willing to jump Joel & Ellie, are they even raiders?

Right, so instead of rushing up when you're out numbered 2:1, go get your homies and take them properly.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Platystemon posted:

And got two guys with the saw there and two guys with hatchets splitting logs with one guy to put the logs on the block and one guy makes a nice pile out of them with his shovel. He's the shovel guy, it's a useful specialty.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Kinda feels like most of the episodes after the first two follow a walking dead formula that I don’t really dig. New location -> new friends -> new bad guys -> resolve bad guy conflict & we never see those new characters again -> leave new location. Except contained entirely with an episode and not a whole season.

Digging it, just wish it felt more cohesive and less episodic I guess.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bored As gently caress posted:

Private military contractors didn't really take off until after 2004, so that type of stuff wouldn't have been common in the show's universe because poo poo went to hell in 2003.

Would be an interesting story to see what all the forces we have in Afghanistan would do once theyre permanently stuck there with no resupply.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: Like this episode fell kinda flat for me because "nothing happened." If there was like 10-15 more minutes spent on showing me why the university was abandoned and less time showing me a theater full of kids watching a movie it would have been much better.
What could possibly take 10-15 extra minutes to say "the Fireflies went to Salt Lake City" that you would find more interesting than seeing the slice of normal life going on in Jackson City?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Right, so instead of rushing up when you're out numbered 2:1, go get your homies and take them properly.

Yeah I'm sure the two people hurriedly packing up their horse will wait for you to come back

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Those dudes in the foreground aren't working that saw hard either. I blame the set directors, prop master, and production staff before the actors.

Probably one of those things you've got to consider when it comes to the time between resetting takes.

https://twitter.com/alreadytaken74/status/1269341922751111169?lang=en

"Don't kick up dust! It'll take 20 minutes to get the next take!"

Edit: I bet you could find some dudes who know how to swing an axe in Alberta who would work for a SAG rate and a plate of flap jacks.

Edit #2: Jack Nicholson was a volunteer fire fighter before he was an actor and because he knew his way around an axe he broke down the door in The Shining way too fast. They had to reinforce it to get the shots that Kubrick wanted.

deoju fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 21, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

covidstomper58 posted:

And got two guys with the saw there and two guys with hatchets splitting logs with one guy to put the logs on the block and one guy makes a nice pile out of them with his shovel. He's the shovel guy, it's a useful specialty.

There’s a guy with an axe on the left, but he just turns it over in his hands and looks at the riders for the duration of the scene.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 21, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

fullroundaction posted:

Kinda feels like most of the episodes after the first two follow a walking dead formula that I don’t really dig. New location -> new friends -> new bad guys -> resolve bad guy conflict & we never see those new characters again -> leave new location. Except contained entirely with an episode and not a whole season.

Digging it, just wish it felt more cohesive and less episodic I guess.

Yea the show is a little weird because normally a show is expanding the cast as it goes. This one seems determined to keep it at only 2 with special guests of the week. It at least keeps the story moving instead of letting them get bogged down in one place for too long.

Someone please put a stop to overly melodramatic piano covers of 80s new wave songs though.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
We know absolutely zero about this squad's background. They could be the last four survivors of a group of 40 who all got killed by zombies yesterday. They could be the rejects of a group of traveling shakespearean performers who split off to try to find the rumored commune in Wyoming. There's no reason to just assume this group has been going around being badass raiders with just four people for the last 20 years, and if it doesn't really fit with the plot to assume that they are, that's all the more reason to abandon that assumption.

They're just some clowns who don't know what the gently caress to do and are wandering around desperate to survive, if you ask me.

Great episode. The writing isn't the star, but I continue to love the performances of Pedro & especially Bella. Tommy's actor wasn't half-bad either, and I thought it really came through how complicated poo poo is between the two of them. Loved the fun elderly couple. And I didn't feel it was rushed at all, I like the brisk pace. Focus on the characters and what's going on with them and move along from point to point fast enough that I don't get bored waiting for when they're finally gonna get to the thing they keep talking about. I was really glad they had a new story for the characters, AND got to next Fireflies outpost to check that out all in one episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Platystemon posted:

There’s a guy with an axe on the left, but he just looks turns it over in his hands and looks at the riders for the duration of the scene.

This is the first new people this dude's probably seen from outside the walls in like 3 years. Hell yeah I'd stop and stare with my axe like that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Volte posted:

What could possibly take 10-15 extra minutes to say "the Fireflies went to Salt Lake City" that you would find more interesting than seeing the slice of normal life going on in Jackson City?

I don’t know know man, anything? I’m not a creative writer but I’m sure one could come up with something more compelling to show me on screen than “this is how kids spend their leisure time in this boring town.”

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 21, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The pace is fine.

Like, I just clipped that woodshoveling scene, and guess how many minutes into the episode Joel & Ellie ride into town.

Remember, there’s the opening credits, the flashback to Henry, the scenes at the old couple’s house, the camp at the cave with a lot of talking, two rivers of death, and the confrontation with the Jackson posse.

e: Oh yeah and the look at the dam.

It’s eighteen minutes in.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 21, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t know know man, anything? I’m not a creative writer but I’m sure one could come up with something more compelling to show me on screen than “this is how kids spend their leisure time in this boring town.”
That scene was like five seconds long.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Volte posted:

That scene was like five seconds long.

You really expect anyone who posts in this sub to understand how time works when they're watching or pretending to watch television? Really?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

Yeah I'm sure the two people hurriedly packing up their horse will wait for you to come back

They were less than a minute away. If your team hasn't developed a way of communicating to deal with a situation like that then I doubt you could have survived that long, is the point.

It's fine, was just a moment that felt more like a video game than an outstanding show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That movie they watched on the projector looked like it might have been produced in Jackson City, which would be pretty cool. A town making art together would be a great sign for the future of humanity. But apparently it's a real movie from the 70s.