Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Pungry posted:

Carter Verhaeghe has scored 30 goals this year. What's the most anonymous player to score 30, 40, or 50 goals? Because who the gently caress is Carter Verhaeghe?

Also, no one pointing out that McDavid has 102 points already and 20 points over #2 because ho-hum it's just McDavid.

Jacques Richard is probably the answer to the most anonymous 50-goal scorer. He only had 20 or more goals in one other season.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Canada has the day off too. Some dumb thing called "Family Day" they probably made up so they could also have President's Day off

Except if you’re in Quebec. And I think the three territories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Twin Cinema posted:

Jacques Richard is probably the answer to the most anonymous 50-goal scorer. He only had 20 or more goals in one other season.

I think it's Jonathan Cheechoo

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
mikael samuelson's goal scoring summary by season:
23, 14,11,19,30,18,1,13,1

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Pastrnak is at 41 goals in 56 games, McDavid 42 in 57. Getting to 50 for both of them is a foregone conclusion, barring injuries. I wonder if one or both of them can get to 60.

Also Boston is going to have to pay Pasta like 14 million a year the way he's playing now.

Well we get 11 but none of them are in March, April, or August. They need to move some holidays around.

I was going to say there wasn’t one in June but Biden made Juneteenth a holiday on which I get the day off because I work for a bank!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Well we get 11 but none of them are in March, April, or August. They need to move some holidays around.

No Easter? Our August one is called "Civic Holiday" but it's not an actual holiday in Ontario and your employer can make you work if they want.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think it's Jonathan Cheechoo

C'mon.

It's Gary Leeman.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It is equal parts amazing and infuriating that the predicted to be mediocre Bruins are putting up one of the best seasons in NHL history.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I thought that the Canadian government made sure there was at least one federal holiday each month so that families could spend more time together or something?? So they added some random ones like Family Day.

If that's the case it's probably best to have it on the same day as your biggest trading partner's holiday that month. Half a day's backlog of work twice in one month would suck.

deoju fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 21, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
yeah I'm starting to come around to the idea that this isn't Calgary's year lol..

That being said if they do squeeze into a wildcard spot I would honestly rate their chances of progressing through Dallas or Winnipeg pretty highly.. all the teams in the west kind of suck

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Canada has the day off too. Some dumb thing called "Family Day" they probably made up so they could also have President's Day off
The Alberta version of this holiday was essentially made up by our premier at the time to distract from one of his kids getting arrested for coke trafficking

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

yeah I'm starting to come around to the idea that this isn't Calgary's year lol..

That being said if they do squeeze into a wildcard spot I would honestly rate their chances of progressing through Dallas or Winnipeg pretty highly.. all the teams in the west kind of suck

Jakob Markstrom

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

It is equal parts amazing and infuriating that the predicted to be mediocre Bruins are putting up one of the best seasons in NHL history.

It's really best if we just don't talk or think about this.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I'm ready to put a hit out on markstrom holy gently caress

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mennoknight posted:

2 minutes for goaltender interference

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Albino Squirrel posted:

The Alberta version of this holiday was essentially made up by our premier at the time to distract from one of his kids getting arrested for coke trafficking

That bad son got us all a February monday stat holiday, show a little respect

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Except if you’re in Quebec. And I think the three territories.

Quebec doesn’t do it because they say there’s already National Patriots Day that the other provinces don’t have. Similarly, St Jean Baptiste was Legault’s excuse not to add September 30th.

Meanwhile Quebec still has fewer holidays than all but like… Manitoba I think?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
This playoff setup they changed to is a joke, it’s February and it’s all but etched into stone that Toronto and Tampa are going to play each other in Round 1

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

The Dirty Burger posted:

This playoff setup they changed to is a joke, it’s February and it’s all but etched into stone that Toronto and Tampa are going to play each other in Round 1

Is this a problem? Sounds like a perfect first round matchup to me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm sure it won't turn out exactly the same as last year

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If you can't beat'em in the first, you can't beat'em in the semis either

Knocking out a powerhouse in the 1st round is how you build the confidence to steamroll the remainder

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

This is the inevitable outcome of signing tons of former Canucks. As some point the miasma becomes too much.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

mennoknight posted:

Waste of money, the bullets will go right past him too

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe Toronto should try being better at winning.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

Oh no, an exciting 1st round matchup guaranteeing a highly skilled team, Tampa, gets to the 2nd round.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

yeah I kinda feel the same way as:

Pungry posted:

Is this a problem? Sounds like a perfect first round matchup to me.

Rivalry playoff series becoming more of a thing is a worthwhile trade for less in-season drama in a couple of divisions each year IMO. the Battle of Alberta last year ruled, the likely NJ-NYR series should be fun, and having to go through Carolina again most likely to get to the Conference Finals is a good storyline. it's made the regular season matchups more interesting and give more opportunity for intra-division rivalries to develop.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

fermun posted:

Oh no, an exciting 1st round matchup guaranteeing a highly skilled team, Tampa, gets to the 2nd round.

Tampa getting knocked out of the first round owns, and results in good tweets. Playing the Leafs in the first round won’t lead to another one of these bad boys

https://twitter.com/tblightning/status/1118332281825968128?s=46&t=xJbzrvzwl3Y11lAiksM0zg

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The Dirty Burger posted:

This but the Devils and the Rangers

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

clean ayers act posted:

mikael samuelson's goal scoring summary by season:
23, 14,11,19,30,18,1,13,1

the Sedin effect

Also I met him when I managed a bougie clothing store in West Van, he was here for their jersey retirement and was super nice. At first I vaguely recognized him but couldn't place the face. He said he had a hard time finding pants that fit and I mentioned in a nice way that he had a "hockey butt" and he laughed and said, yes, he used to play hockey. That's it. Didn't name drop or mention why he was in town. I came to recognize him and he was super chill, but I was too shy to ask him about anything else

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
HAPPY FAMILY DAY

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Instead of giving interviews full of mealy mouth bullshit maybe Ron Hextall should do his loving job before he patience's the team out of the playoffs lmao. Bottom 6 can not score. At all. Gets scored on. Dumo the same. Great stuff.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Instead of giving interviews full of mealy mouth bullshit maybe Ron Hextall should do his loving job before he patience's the team out of the playoffs lmao. Bottom 6 can not score. At all. Gets scored on. Dumo the same. Great stuff.

It would be almost a relief to not make it because I don't want to watch this team play this brand of hockey against the Bruins or Canes. Fuckin lmao at the thought of that. They'd be out in 4 easy

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Dirty Burger posted:

Tampa getting knocked out of the first round owns, and results in good tweets. Playing the Leafs in the first round won’t lead to another one of these bad boys

https://twitter.com/tblightning/status/1118332281825968128?s=46&t=xJbzrvzwl3Y11lAiksM0zg

Lmao I forgot that existed. That’s up there with Tom Wilson committing horrifying acts of violence.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Trade somebody. Trade anybody. What a dire showing these last two games have been

also fire the assistant coaches

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Trade somebody. Trade anybody. What a dire showing these last two games have been

also fire the assistant coaches

Have had the same defensive issues for years now too under Sullivan. Maybe time for a new head coach.

too bad they extended him so that aint happening

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Ginette Reno posted:

It would be almost a relief to not make it because I don't want to watch this team play this brand of hockey against the Bruins or Canes. Fuckin lmao at the thought of that. They'd be out in 4 easy

Yeah I really don't want to watch 4 games of this in the playoffs

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Might not be the coach's fault the team has spent most of its cap on a handful of very old players and very poorly spent the precious little left over to fill out the roster with.

I mean yeah he shouldn't be playing Dumo and Carter, but go ahead and go find an NHL coach that wouldn't do the same or even more of that, I'll be over here waiting for you to get back

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Hextall has failed to a staggering degree in the creation of this roster.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think there is something to a coach being around too long and treating the players like friends instead of staff... probably an undercurrent of "I remember when you were better so I think you can still be better" lack of objectivity to player assessment

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Might not be the coach's fault the team has spent most of its cap on a handful of very old players and very poorly spent the precious little left over to fill out the roster with.

I mean yeah he shouldn't be playing Dumo and Carter, but go ahead and go find an NHL coach that wouldn't do the same or even more of that, I'll be over here waiting for you to get back

Oh yeah Hextall has done a lovely job for sure with the bottom six and defense but that said this team has had better rosters and shown the same warts with Sullivan at the helm.

I think he's a good coach but this team is dying for an injection of something new. Maybe a trade will be that. Probably not. They'll probably die a slow death and miss the playoffs or lose in the first round. And then next year will be worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I agree there are defensive issues, mainly springing from the fact the team has for years systematically gotten rid of the kind of fast puck moving dmen that work best in Sullivan's system and stocked up on the exact opposite kind of dmen. But this looked like a struggle-for-the-8-seed roster going into the season and, lo and behold, they're struggling for the 8 seed. Bad coaching is not the problem here, extreme age and egregious lack of depth are the problems here.

Also we were unanimously all "gently caress YEAH!!!! Who cares if the team's not very good, more SidGenoTanger!!!" about running last season's roster back a year older and with less depth so we shouldn't be acting shocked and appalled now that they are, in fact, not very good.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 21, 2023