Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I have a quick question.... is there a reason why Ronald D Moore doesn't have his hand in new Star Trek stuff outside of him being busy? Like I don't actually find the guy that consistent in his work, but he seems hugely successful and I'm loving For All of Mankind. It's just weird that there is this guy who is very famous for writing TNG-era Star Trek, then when went on to produce two pretty popular space shows, and isn't making Star Trek at the moment.

Probably money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I have a quick question.... is there a reason why Ronald D Moore doesn't have his hand in new Star Trek stuff outside of him being busy? Like I don't actually find the guy that consistent in his work, but he seems hugely successful and I'm loving For All of Mankind. It's just weird that there is this guy who is very famous for writing TNG-era Star Trek, then when went on to produce two pretty popular space shows, and isn't making Star Trek at the moment.

Bolded the point where I think you went off course. Maybe one percent of the TNG viewership has ever actually heard RDM's name. DS9 viewers are a little more aware of him, so let's say... three percent of those. And let's up that to (very generously) five or six percent if we count people who are faintly aware that "the DS9 guy" went on to make Battlestar Galactica.

Television writers simply aren't celebrities outside of the hardest core of fandom. Sure, a good chunk of us posting in this thread have read Moore's interview about everything that was wrong with Voyager, and we're aware of how much of :bsg: was a direct reaction to that. But, well... welcome to the hardest core of fandom.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

Ron Moore hasn't really given a poo poo about anything Star Trek related in well over a decade, probably longer, given how he's been on record multiple times as trying to make Battlestar Galactica as un- or anti-Star Trek as he possibly could, given how badly he got burned working on Voyager by both Brannon Braga and Rick Berman. He probably considers it a closed chapter in his life now and wants to focus on making other things away from Star Trek. Also yeah he has been consistent busy with other poo poo for 15 years now between BSG, Outlander and For All Mankind. Dude doesn't have the time to take on take on a third show, or step into the writers room of a third show.

Hollismason posted:

Probably money.

Also this. Modern Trek writers rooms tend to be Lowest Bidding Contractor affairs with people with few to no screenwriting credits to their names getting tossed the keys because they'll work for peanuts. They don't want Ronald D. Moores or Joe Menoskys, poo poo they don't even want Brannon Bragas anymore, they want MFA program grad students or folks who've done workman roles on other TV shows that they can bully around and you can't do that with a Ron Moore-sized personality.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What’s everyone’s opinion on Star Trek Continues?

Looks like all eleven episodes are available to watch in their entirety on YouTube. Worth the time to watch, or no?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrMojok posted:

Looks like all eleven episodes are available to watch in their entirety on YouTube. Worth the time to watch, or no?

You really want to watch 11 episodes of Legally Proven Sexual Predator Vic Mignogna and Merely Alleged Sexual Predator Todd Haberkorn try to overact their way through pretending they're Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

You really want to watch 11 episodes of Legally Proven Sexual Predator Vic Mignogna and Merely Alleged Sexual Predator Todd Haberkorn try to overact their way through pretending they're Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock?

Honestly, I didn’t even know who any of the people involved were. I just kept hearing what a great job the production did of replicating the “feel” of TOS.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MrMojok posted:

It was really quite good but I'd never want to watch it again given the star Vic Mignona is a loving predator.

But it's not like you'd be giving him money or anything, put on an ad blocker and watch in incognito or something

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I like Star Trek New Voyages. They even produced David Gerrold's script for an AIDS allegory and had a gay couple prominently on-screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWWR9z71CFI

Unfortunately they let Gerrold direct. He does great with his characters, but really doesn't get as much from the main cast. It's still a good episode, just uneven.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrMojok posted:

Honestly, I didn’t even know who any of the people involved were. I just kept hearing what a great job the production did of replicating the “feel” of TOS.

The fact that's its two main stars are rapists aside, it's basically "What if TOS Season 3 just... kept going" with all the good and bad it entailed. It was the best Star Trek fan production going before CBS shut that poo poo down completely after the people used the Trek branding to embezzle a shitload of money and rubbed their rear end all up in CBS's face doing it. But being the "best" Trek fan film/series is hardly a compliment.

I've seen clips of it here and there and while it was somewhat entertaining, it feels like they're desperately trying too hard and missing the a lot of the time. By all means, give a try and see for yourself, but my main takeaway was "Nah, I don't really need this"... and then I remember what a horrible piece of poo poo Vic is :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is New Voyages the one with James Cawley, the guy who created those set replicas in New York?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

All these people talking about "vic" i thought this had something to do with the loving DS9 holodeck crooner, lmao.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

All these people talking about "vic" i thought this had something to do with the loving DS9 holodeck crooner, lmao.

There's two Star Trek Vics. The Good Vic, the holographic lounge singer from DS9, and the Bad Vic, the creep who molests underage girls and thought this

was an acceptable James T. Kirk.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is New Voyages the one with James Cawley, the guy who created those set replicas in New York?

Yes. New Voyages (formerly known as Phase II) had to end production after the Axanar settlement (gently caress you, Alec Peters), so as a consolation prize--because three more episodes were at various stages of production and post-production--CBS gave Cawley a license to use the sets for the tours in Ticonderoga.

Cawley was also very close with Bill Theiss, to the point that Theiss left original uniform fabric swatches and patterns in his will.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It was really quite good but I'd never want to watch it again given the star Vic Mignona is a loving predator.

But it's not like you'd be giving him money or anything, put on an ad blocker and watch in incognito or something

replace vic with deepfaked shatner

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nine-gear crow posted:

There's two Star Trek Vics. The Good Vic, the holographic lounge singer from DS9, and the Bad Vic, the creep who molests underage girls and thought this

was an acceptable James T. Kirk.

lol can't believe this creepy looking dude is a creep

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Before 2020 the only Star Trek I'd seen was the JJ Abrams film which I saw in theaters and was trash. I'm into sci-fi I just never watched Trek for whatever reason, my girlfriend is shocked she's now a trekkie so maybe it's also just not realizing how good TNG & DS9 are until you spend the many hours needed watching it all.

Anyway first marathoned TNG, then DS9, rewatching both specifically the best TNG episodes a lot. Then sort of skipped around to later seasons & only the best episodes of Voyager. just finished watching all of DS9 again and now just starting Enterprise. This opening theme is the biggest pile of dogshit I've ever witnessed and i have to stay at the ready to fast forward on VLC player when it starts. Show has potential but I guess it only really starts to get good after two rough seasons while it finds its footing character and plot wise, essentially just like TNG & DS9 which are amazing shows. I also read the finale is this weird TNG finale rehash, which sounds ridiculous; I saw it on both worst episode & best episode lists. Does anyone rate specific season of Enterprise as on the level of the best Star Trek?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Enterprise season 4 is extremely good and I rank it up there with some of the best. Not as high as DS9’s heights, but it’s up there for me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

knox posted:

Does anyone rate specific season of Enterprise as on the level of the best Star Trek?

No.

Season four has some good stuff, and any episode with Andorians or high Vulcan fuckery is also good. But the show never really had a consensus good season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mllaneza posted:

No.

Season four has some good stuff, and any episode with Andorians or high Vulcan fuckery is also good. But the show never really had a consensus good season.

I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of doing it, but it has been extremely hilarious to see the hagiography of Enterprise over the last decade as people have tried to will it into the realm of being the Best Trek Ever to try and cast Modern Trek out into the wilderness.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

knox posted:

This opening theme is the biggest pile of dogshit I've ever witnessed and i have to stay at the ready to fast forward on VLC player when it starts.

There's a bunch of redubs of the Enterprise opening on youtube with different songs or pieces of music, and what's amazing is that all of them are better than the original. Like, they literally managed to pick the worst possible song for the opening credits.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

There's a bunch of redubs of the Enterprise opening on youtube with different songs or pieces of music, and what's amazing is that all of them are better than the original. Like, they literally managed to pick the worst possible song for the opening credits.

Especially because Enterprise had an actual Main Theme composed to fit the opening credits, and they slammed it away as the end credits theme at the last possible second instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsn2xVmVuGE

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

knox posted:

Before 2020 the only Star Trek I'd seen was the JJ Abrams film which I saw in theaters and was trash. I'm into sci-fi I just never watched Trek for whatever reason, my girlfriend is shocked she's now a trekkie so maybe it's also just not realizing how good TNG & DS9 are until you spend the many hours needed watching it all.

Anyway first marathoned TNG, then DS9, rewatching both specifically the best TNG episodes a lot. Then sort of skipped around to later seasons & only the best episodes of Voyager. just finished watching all of DS9 again and now just starting Enterprise. This opening theme is the biggest pile of dogshit I've ever witnessed and i have to stay at the ready to fast forward on VLC player when it starts. Show has potential but I guess it only really starts to get good after two rough seasons while it finds its footing character and plot wise, essentially just like TNG & DS9 which are amazing shows. I also read the finale is this weird TNG finale rehash, which sounds ridiculous; I saw it on both worst episode & best episode lists. Does anyone rate specific season of Enterprise as on the level of the best Star Trek?

Theres episodes from every season i enjoy. I even overall like season 3, even if theres about 1/2 the episodes being filler to the season long arc, and the 9/11 overload is painful, it feels a lot like what voyagers series should have been like.

Season 4 is the best season though certainly without question, but you'd probably be better served just watching the better episodes from season 1 & 2, and skipping some of the filler episodes of season 3, and watching all of season 4.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Especially because Enterprise had an actual Main Theme composed to fit the opening credits, and they slammed it away as the end credits theme at the last possible second instead:

When I saw the video title thought someone had put the theme from Archer -the recent cartooon one- over the title.

Was sort of disappointed when I pressed play. Like from context I should of expected what it was, but still, disappointed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dr_rat posted:

When I saw the video title thought someone had put the theme from Archer -the recent cartooon one- over the title.

Was sort of disappointed when I pressed play. Like from context I should of expected what it was, but still, disappointed.

Now see, "Enterprise, But It's Just Archer" would have been a legitimately good show.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of doing it, but it has been extremely hilarious to see the hagiography of Enterprise over the last decade as people have tried to will it into the realm of being the Best Trek Ever to try and cast Modern Trek out into the wilderness.

It will never not be spit-take worthy to see people list Voyager and Enterprise as being in what they call "classic era" Star Trek. Goddamn.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Now see, "Enterprise, But It's Just Archer" would have been a legitimately good show.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Sitting down and looking at an episode list for ENT, if i Had to pick out the ones I can either remember the most, think I enjoyed, or at least seemed important to stuff later on in the plots, I would say

s1
e1-4
e7
e11
e12
e14 - 17
e23
e26

s2
e1-3
e5
e7
e10
e12
e14-16
e20
e22-25

s3
e1-2
e5
e7-24
(most of season 3 has someplot important bits)

s4
most of it is pretty ok, except the final, lol you can absolutely skip the final and not miss a thing.

I realize I'm being overly generous on episodes not to skip, and maybe even forgetting some that weren't that bad, but I figure if someone wants a list to avoid the worst of the lot and still watch the show. That would probably be my list? I mean I'd have to sit down and re-watch them to really say any better than that but thats the best I can sort of remember from the synopsis of them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Seemlar posted:

It will never not be spit-take worthy to see people list Voyager and Enterprise as being in what they call "classic era" Star Trek. Goddamn.

Enterprise, sure, but Voyager/TNG/DS9 all overlapped to some degree didn't they.

Voyager top 3 Trek

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Who wore it better?

Isn't that just an old timey football helmet?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Khanstant posted:

Enterprise, sure, but Voyager/TNG/DS9 all overlapped to some degree didn't they.

Voyager top 3 Trek

There’s only 4 months between Voyager’s finale (May 2001) and Enterprise’s premiere (September 2001).

It’s definitely part of the same era. From 1987 to 2005 you had at least one Trek series on the air at some point in the year.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s only 4 months between Voyager’s finale (May 2001) and Enterprise’s premiere (September 2001).

It’s definitely part of the same era. From 1987 to 2005 you had at least one Trek series on the air at some point in the year.

It's no loving wonder that everyone involved in the franchise was just burnt out and wanted to die by the time 2005 rolled around.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wow I swear it felt like they ended Voyager and were just going to can Trek forever, and was a couple years till they did Enterprise. Maybe that had to do more with network changes or whatever, I think I saw Trek mostly through UPN or something

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Wow I swear it felt like they ended Voyager and were just going to can Trek forever, and was a couple years till they did Enterprise. Maybe that had to do more with network changes or whatever, I think I saw Trek mostly through UPN or something

Voyager was apparently in constant danger of being cancelled on UPN, but still pulled in enough ratings to stave it off and end things on its own terms without the axe ever falling on it. Enterprise, however, bled viewers like a sieve right from the announcement of its premise to the point where Trek was finally anemic enough for Les Moonves to achieve his decade-long dream at that point of finally killing Star Trek, hopefully forever.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Khanstant posted:

I think part of it is just the mostly-new sets and the fact that it started airing in HD halfway through. It makes it look visually distinct enough from TNG/DS9/VOY that it feels like a different era of Trek tv.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's less about them being from the same time production wise which they obviously were and more about calling two bad shows that helped drive the franchise to a historic low point in it's existence 'classic'

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think part of it is just the mostly-new sets and the fact that it started airing in HD halfway through. It makes it look visually distinct enough from TNG/DS9/VOY that it feels like a different era of Trek tv.

And It was filmed and mastered in HD from the start, and presented in widescreen, and all the effects and models were designed from the start to be CG without the limits of physical models.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, there's definitely no sense in even talking about eras if you aren't grouping TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT together.

Enterprise looks more modern in some ways, but it's very clearly cut from the same cloth as the other shows of that period in a way that's completely distinct from modern Trek. Part of the problem with Enterprise (aside from the total lack of charisma in the main cast) is that half the episodes feel like they were lifted right out of a Voyager reject pile.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, it is better than Picard so far and in a close fight with Discovery. SNW, LDS< and PROD all kick it to the curb, so by majority rule it just can't be.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Seemlar posted:

It's less about them being from the same time production wise which they obviously were and more about calling two bad shows that helped drive the franchise to a historic low point in it's existence 'classic'

The classics include the fall of Rome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, there's definitely no sense in even talking about eras if you aren't grouping TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT together.

Enterprise looks more modern in some ways, but it's very clearly cut from the same cloth as the other shows of that period in a way that's completely distinct from modern Trek. Part of the problem with Enterprise (aside from the total lack of charisma in the main cast) is that half the episodes feel like they were lifted right out of a Voyager reject pile.

You'd wish, if they came from the reject pile they at least would be original scripts. I watched ENT through for the first time during COVID-19 lockdowns, and out of the 52 episodes that constitute S1 and S2,

-11 episodes where the plot is "Archer and/or some else is taken hostage and needs rescue", there is three of them in a row in S2
-5 episodes that are basically "something happens to shuttle and some people are marooned", there are three of these within 5 episodes in S2
-7 episodes of "Enterprise is taken over by someone".

...And this does not include the episodes which are just remakes of older episodes from prior series such as S1E20 Oasis, or blatant ripoffs of famous movies like S2E06 Marauders.

The writing process for Enterprise was unbelievably lazy in the first seasons.