Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Chamale posted:

That movie they watched on the projector looked like it might have been produced in Jackson City, which would be pretty cool. A town making art together would be a great sign for the future of humanity. But apparently it's a real movie from the 70s.

I recognized Richard Dreyfuss but have no clue what movie it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Wiltsghost posted:

I recognized Richard Dreyfuss but have no clue what movie it was.

I would guess it was The Goodbye Girl but I couldn't swear to it. I saw it on a plane in like 1979 and remember nothing of it other than it was the guy from Close Encounters (I was 9).

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Only Kindness posted:

I would guess it was The Goodbye Girl but I couldn't swear to it. I saw it on a plane in like 1979 and remember nothing of it other than it was the guy from Close Encounters (I was 9).

Yes, it's The Goodbye Girl

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Post apocalyptic movies should take a page out of I Am Legend and always have the one movie the characters watch be Shrek.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Only Kindness posted:

Bullshit. Planes didn't exist in 1979. The Wright Brothers weren't invented until 9/11. :colbert:

VvvvvOK, sorry.

deoju fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 21, 2023

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

deoju posted:

Bullshit. Planes didn't exist in 1979. :colbert:

Can confirm, actually I was abducted by aliens. The plane was a cover story.

Let's stop this here.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Every once in a while someone will say something offhand that makes me realize they’re young enough that I could be their dad. It’s much rarer for me to realize that they could be my dad.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ha someone older than me (I was 7 in 1979). That said didn’t join SA until 2016? What was the hood up?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bucky Fullminster posted:

They were less than a minute away. If your team hasn't developed a way of communicating to deal with a situation like that then I doubt you could have survived that long, is the point.

It's fine, was just a moment that felt more like a video game than an outstanding show.

Again, you're making all kinds of assumptions about the group that don't hold up to what we actually saw. Four guys wandering around with baseball bats could be anyone from anywhere, why do you assume they're 20-year veterans of the wilds with necessarily ultra elite survival skills that are being failed by the writing?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Four guys wandering around with baseball bats could be anyone from anywhere, why do you assume they're 20-year veterans of the wilds with necessarily ultra elite survival skills that are being failed by the writing?

Because we are 20 years into a deadly pandemic that has rendered the world a post-apocalyptic wasteland with zombies and raiders and a nazi government and they're not dead.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Because we are 20 years into a deadly pandemic that has rendered the world a post-apocalyptic wasteland with zombies and raiders and a nazi government and they're not dead.

If Joel dies from this wound, Ellie will be wandering around alone, alive, in the same situation. By your logic, it would be reasonable to assume she's a badass child assassin like Hit-Girl or something.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Mantis42 posted:

To people who didn't play the game: are you emotionally invested in the Joel/Ellie relationship?

I definitely am. It doesn't seem to matter what a cliche the "reluctant protector becomes an orphan's father figure" thing is either, their banter and chemistry have completely sold it for me.

I apparently like this zombie show for the scenery and banter, because their interactions with the old couple from Northern Exposure and the bit about contractors were my favorite moments tonight. Also Jackson Hole adopting communist methods, which seemed like a stretch till I considered that this timeline branched off at 2003 and they've been without steady streams of horseshit from their TVs for about 20 years.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

XboxPants posted:

If Joel dies from this wound, Ellie will be wandering around alone, alive, in the same situation. By your logic, it would be reasonable to assume she's a badass child assassin like Hit-Girl or something.

No, that's a strawman. By my logic, it would be reasonable to assume she would have the modicum of common sense required to not needlessly die in that situation.

Remy Marathe posted:

I apparently like this zombie show for the scenery and banter, because their interactions with the old couple from Northern Exposure and the bit about contractors were my favorite moments tonight.

And "So I've been thinking.. I don't want a sheep ranch actually, if the deal is I can do anything."

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
so i can't quite tell, is joel having panic attacks or is his health failing?

also maria is awfully judging of joel's past when her territory is know as a land of death to local outsiders. even if they were all evil raiders, when you're displaying the corpses of your foes you'd think you'd be a little less sensitive

Platystemon posted:

The biggest lie that Joel has ever told Ellie is that everybody loved contractors.

i mean, why not? i bet the telemarketers who survived the outbreak tell their kids they were considered heroes by the old world

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

No, that's a strawman. By my logic, it would be reasonable to assume she would have the modicum of common sense required to not needlessly die in that situation.

It seems to me that both sides getting badly hurt is the most likely outcome of a raiding attack. Raiders like the ones in this episode, or the ones in Kansas City, are desperate hungry people. These guys probably moved in after the Fireflies left, so they don't have much experience beyond hunting monkeys for meat.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Yes but that's only true for us as viewers, who know that's what her situation is. A random observer who came upon her somewhere wouldn't know that she was with a guardian until yesterday. Just like how we don't know the background of the raiding party.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Yes but that's only true for us as viewers, who know that's what her situation is. A random observer who came upon her somewhere wouldn't know that she was with a guardian until yesterday. Just like how we don't know the background of the raiding party.

We know their background includes surviving this long.

Again, it's fine, they're a "disposable video game character for our heroes to fend off", not a big deal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The one thing I disliked, almost hate, about the show happened in episode 1x06

it's all the explicit heterosexuality. I'm not saying there shouldn't be any straight characters but do they have to shove so many in our faces?

It's heavily implied that Joel is straight. Okay fine. But why does his brother have to be straight too? Even so, did he have to be so explicit about it?

First he held his partner's hand but then he flaunts that he is expecting a child with her. All I heard was hey everybody! I'm a man who had sex with a woman! Probably more than once. Really? How is his sexual lifestyle relevant at all to any story line?

This show is still loving awesome though! But I can only give it a an A+ as opposed to a A++ because of this agenda they're pushing. Hopefully they won't continue it going forward.

quote:

The entire episode had zero zombies. No real threat. It is about two heterosexual folks who meet and have a relationship in which one builds houses for the other, and then they both live by not being killed by zombies. One gets pregnant and decides to essentially never fight zombies again. And hetero Rutina Wesley decides she is going to be the leader of a growing community because of “Thelma and Louise” or “Thelma and Tommy” in this particular case.

It’s all really well produced and it’s beautifully shot. However, here’s the problem with When Harry Met Zombie Farm: It’s a zombie show. There are no zombies in the entire episode. There are no zombies in a zombie show. This is worth pointing out. It literally has nothing to do with the plot of the show.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

This show is the spiritual successor to Steven Universe, it can only get sadder and gayer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Latest episode: Loved the couple at the start of the episode, loved even more that they've lived there for decades and have no idea there's actually a thriving community just a few miles down the road. Love the most that even if they DID know, they'd probably still think it was a place to be avoided... the guy at least!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

I completely agree. The only people making stupid decisions that get them killed should be the ones who are already dead. It's Writing 101.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Graham Greene is a Canadian legend and it's so great to see him here. He and Elaine Miles knocked it the gently caress out even in such a small role.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, I wasn't surprised at all to see Graham Greene - they had to get him since it's filming up here. I am not familiar with Elaine Miles but she was in Northern Exposure and man, I forgot about that show.

Loved the loving amazing, "Hole-EE!" - being from Winnipeg and friends with Indigenous people you hear that pronunciation a lot, haha. Just missed the "Hole-ee gently caress" but Paulina Alexis in Reservation Dogs always talks like that.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Albino Squirrel posted:

I guess that means Edmonton is... Austin? Island of relative sanity in a sea of lunatics? I mean, at least until the fungus zombies ate everyone in Austin.

For a certain brand of left-wing Albertan, the State House exploding was worth a chuckle:

https://twitter.com/dkaszor/status/1617570836948615174

That's the provincial legislature. At least, it was until they blew it up for the show.

If Edmonton isn't Austin we're at least trying very hard.

A legislature full of fungies would be an improvement over the current lot.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Graham Greene is a Canadian legend and it's so great to see him here. He and Elaine Miles knocked it the gently caress out even in such a small role.

I was very glad neither of them were the sacrificial guest-star of the week.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

What? Where in the hell are the takes from? I have seen some bad takes on TLOU (many in this thread), but this might take the cake. poo poo like this is just ammo to the other side.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

In any number of potential scenarios that don't include being elite 20-year loner survivalists. The entire setup of the show is that there are colonies full of these people in various states of decay that could collapse at any time and eject desperate groups into the wilderness, for christ's sake.

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

nate fisher posted:

What? Where in the hell are the takes from? I have seen some bad takes on TLOU (many in this thread), but this might take the cake. poo poo like this is just ammo to the other side.

Pretty sure it's satire

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Yeah pretty sure if chattel in a fedra lock up got out somehow after all this time they wouldn't be real survivalists.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i hate when u and ur boys go to the ol' college to beat up monkeys with baseball bats and they fail to enact Human Counterattack Plan Delta

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

nate fisher posted:

Trigger Warning: ben shapiro’ssome rear end in a top hat’s face (but otherwise no spoilers)

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

EugeneDebsWasCool posted:

Pretty sure it's satire

If the way reddit responded to the second game is any indicator they're definitely real takes from somewhere, but I can't say that I'd want to participate in the conversation

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

I am not familiar with Elaine Miles but she was in Northern Exposure and man, I forgot about that show.

I barely remember Northern Exposure. Hardly watched it at all back in the day. That said, the instant she opened her mouth I went full-on Leonardo DiCaprio pointing at the screen. Having only ever seen her once or twice thirty years ago, she left that strong an impression on me.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Volte posted:

I completely agree. The only people making stupid decisions that get them killed should be the ones who are already dead. It's Writing 101.

Yeah and if they were more dangerous it would have made that scene more intense and more interesting.

They walked straight past the horse!

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Mantis42 posted:

To people who didn't play the game: are you emotionally invested in the Joel/Ellie relationship?

I don't care about them at all. They're generic walking dead characters with better actors, I would prefer if they went away to be honest. The most interesting parts of the show have been when they're either off screen or appear as side-characters. The scientists in the first two episodes, frank and bill, the couple in the cabin, those are the real gems in this show.

are there zombies and raiders though? you can apparently walk, ride or drive across the entire country and aside from accidentally driving straight into a den of raiders like an idiot the only danger in thousands of miles are four guys with a baseball bat in an abandoned university.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So to those who say they are generic walking dead characters. What do you want? We have backstory, motivation, drive, and we've developed their personalities quite substantially. What is missing for you?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

This show is too much like Walking Dead! Also, there should be more raiders & zombies, like in Walking Dead!

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

Hobo Clown posted:

This show is too much like Walking Dead! Also, there should be more raiders & zombies, like in Walking Dead!

I'd prefer not. In fact I'd prefer more of the things I like about the show, which happen to be most things that aren't the paper-thin archetypes that are our main characters.

ozmunkeh fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 21, 2023

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Yeah I kinda agree, in that my favourite parts of the show have been the side characters and mini-stories (and the scenery). Maybe I'd prefer if the series was just lots of random stories WWZ style.

I feel like Joel and Ellie should be a lot closer after 3-4 months going through hell together, but they don't seem to have made much progress.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

It's just a case where things that apparently work well in a video game may not necessarily translate well to other forms of media, and that's not exactly a new phenomenon. I'm still waiting for my HBO prestige drama based on de_dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Red Rox posted:

Yeah I kinda agree, in that my favourite parts of the show have been the side characters and mini-stories (and the scenery). Maybe I'd prefer if the series was just lots of random stories WWZ style.

I feel like Joel and Ellie should be a lot closer after 3-4 months going through hell together, but they don't seem to have made much progress.

Did you honestly watch that last episode? They clearly have grown very close, but Joel has demons and self-doubt that causes him to push people away, especially those he feels fatherly towards. But in the end that connection they formed still won out and, against his instincts, he took her to the campus.

This isn't even subtext, its just text.