Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (July 26-28, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (September 27-29, 1920)

"WHILE DAD WAS VERY BUSY WITH HIS "HOOTCH" OUTFIT, the Gas Inspector wearing a very official-looking badge suddenly appears on the cellar steps."

Dok's Dippy Non-Beligerent (August 5, 1914)

Meanwhile, Little Lefty, in which my source does another skip day.

(So January 28-29, 1938)

Nothing like having our heroes lurk around in the dusk that brings out the atmospheric side of del's inkwork.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 25-26, 1993)

"Verbing weirds language" has been a core part of my understanding of linguistics for thirty years.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ugh this Crabgrass thing is just dumb now. It feels like a Holbrook poo poo.

bro I'm over this storyline but comparing it to Holbrook's "nuclear family transformation findom fetish with inks provided by 'Melonpool'" gulag is absolutely fighting words.

anyways,

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

i'd rather have Anthony back thank this

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 20, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Nov. 20, 1955)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
"When she returned, there never was a happier face nor ..."

Desperately looks around him
Whispers" a prettier one."

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Oh poo poo...

Edit: re. Uramachi Sakaba - oh poo poo!!!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lol

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

:ohdear:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/20/03

Brenda Starr 6/12-14/50

Oh come ON. At least he's not named John St. Basil, with an eyepatch on the opposite side from Basil's...

And Messick has to throw in a stereotyped Native American to make it even more fun. For those who would rather not look: Brenda explains to the pilot and copilot that Hammerschmidt kidnapped her and she's not with him, no matter what he might claim.

Smokey Stover 1/25/53

Everyday Movies 2/18/36

"I'm not using any makeup until I can convince my husband that I need a southern cruise for my health."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/28-30/40

Back then, after a touchdown you had the option to do a place kick, a dropkick, or run or pass to get the extra point in. Specialized kickers, as well as the idea of separate offense and defense squads, wouldn't come along until later in the 1940s.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 21, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Scarlett has a hell of a throwing arm.

Also able to tackle 200+ pound men while wearing heels (pretty impressive even if invisibility gives her an advantage).

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Did they ever figure out what the hell that guy was trying to draw?

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis because CK is letting me see them now?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The Eternal Struggle of Cool Frog

drat That Bear Is loving RIPPED.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Popcom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (April 3, 1935)

Peanuts (February 24, 1976)

Miss Peach (August 8, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 22, 1939)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (February 17-19, 1941)

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Glass houses, Connie.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Shoot, beaten!! (It's great :haw:)

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

Hessus sentään = "Dear Jesus" or "Jesus Christ" as an exclamation, but with the J changed to H and the S duplicated due to dialectic reasons.
Hessu = Goofy, the Disney character
Like in many other languages, exclamations like these eventually gain variations due to e.g. slang, dialects & not wishing to invoke Jesus' name unnecessarily. Examples from Finnish that came to mind are "Kiesus", "Jessus" and just "Sus", but I'm pretty sure I've never seen or heard "Hessus" specifically. Then again, in certain languages "Jesus" is pronounced as "Hesus" so this is probably just a case of me being unfamiliar with local sayings.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Drakyn posted:

Glass houses, Connie.

Jeremy is in high school, so no older than 18, but doesn't really talk about college applications or anything, so we'll say he's 17, which meant he was born in 1997 when this was published. Must have been some fun retro show his parents went to for kicks.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/28-30/40

Back then, after a touchdown you had the option to do a place kick, a dropkick, or run or pass to get the extra point in. Specialized kickers, as well as the idea of separate offense and defense squads, wouldn't come along until later in the 1940s.

After the dire hillbilly arc, Scarlet's managed to pull out a real banger of a story with this one. Look at her go!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's extended Blueberry: the clientele of Dunhill get upset at Campbell, or past-Blueberry is given a chance to cool his heels, or Clum has a chance encounter

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
what is williams' preoccupation with the sister who gets married and moves down the street, anyway

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

what is williams' preoccupation with the sister who gets married and moves down the street, anyway

It's not that much more specific than the rest of his scenarios. I guess it's a "Write what you know" kind of thing.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
well in comparison i figured lots of people were cowboys or worked in a factory

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's a continuation of the sibling rivalry jokes even after the sister gets married and moves out. Same brother and sister, even.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Jeremy is in high school, so no older than 18, but doesn't really talk about college applications or anything, so we'll say he's 17, which meant he was born in 1997 when this was published. Must have been some fun retro show his parents went to for kicks.

In a Zits treasury book I have, Jeremy lists his birth date as July, 1984, which would make him my age. The strip's been running so long now (my book's from ~2004?) that Jeremy, Walt and Connie have gotten the Simpsons treatment when it comes to their ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

In a Zits treasury book I have, Jeremy lists his birth date as July, 1984, which would make him my age. The strip's been running so long now (my book's from ~2004?) that Jeremy, Walt and Connie have gotten the Simpsons treatment when it comes to their ages.
It does seem like they've been updating his parents' cultural references somewhat more recently, but that may just be in my head. But even in 2014 that was a dated reference for people in roughly their mid-40s.