Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Being able to burn bond fragments to level rings is a hugely important part of why the system is fun, because it means that the rings are inherently modular and you equip them on people you want to use them most effectively rather than feeling compelled to put them on people you don't want to use the ring but you need to grind out a skill for.

Engage's class and skill system is not flawless and has some real issues and pain points, but it successfully killed the "spend 85% of the game in classes you don't want someone to be in so they can bloom into their perfect butterfly form for the last 15% of the game" conceit that the series had been brewing since Awakening without completely killing all forms of customization, and that is a solid achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
The Emblem Paralogues were already a highlight on Hard but they're very fun on Maddening. Waited until Chapter 17 to start doing them, mostly just because I wanted more Rings on hand. I gave holding the initial area a shot once on Ike's before ditching it and just running everyone up the right side (though I did have Ivy kill the two armor armors closest on the left), while Goldmary held off the lower area reinforcements and then staged a fighting retreat to keep them out of the way. On Lyn's, I had Kagetsu, Merrin Ivy and Hortensia in the lower-right and had them kill the right-side staff tent and the two near Lyn by turn six, just managing to pull them out of the danger zone before Lyn activated and could use Astra Storm, while Wolf Knight Panette grabbed Ike's ring to replace Lyn's and handled the right side, with assists from Alear, Fogado and Seadall. Goldmary held the upper-left corner with a javelin while Anna, Pandreo and Chloe took potshots and tried not to die to all the archers. Actually managed to clear all the tents in time!

I turned Chloe into a Martial Master after chapter 17 when I had Flashing Fist and Eirika for her, and she's very good at punching. Most of it's less her stats and more that her personal skill adds +2 more damage per hit, so between that and Alear and Eirika she has a pretty high damage floor. Against Ike, I stacked bonuses up with a +3 Flashing Fist until she could one-round his entire health bar, which was fun! Plus, moving her out of Griffin Knight meant I could hand her Micaiah-forged Steel Sword over to Goldmary, because +40 Avoid combined with Goldmary's -20 male enemy hit on Enemy Phase makes her very evasive. I usually have Ike on her, and it's funny that her personal passive being a malus to enemy hit instead of a bonus to unit avoid means that she can actually dodge things while she's Engaged. Usually I don't Engage unless I want Great Aether, though, because if she can dodge things then she can actually take advantage of terrain, and that usually makes her tougher. Hector would be way better for her. I haven't used Ragnell much yet, though, and that may change the math if she's running into an area with axe enemies and wants 1-2 range.

I kind of slept on Lucina the first run; I just shoved her on Bow Knight Etie and took advantage of the Backup damage. I put on Merrin this time and it's a great match, between the Bow on Engage letting her do Kinshi Knight plays versus enemy fliers and the Bonded Shield letting you be much bolder with fliers around enemy archers. It'll be even more fun when I get Roy back and Kagetsu can use the Binding Blade again.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Are the other two divine paralogs unreleased dlc or post game?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Are the other two divine paralogs unreleased dlc or post game?

Unreleased.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
what does byleth's thyrsus actually do with the "may halve damage if carried" bit? is it some unspecified chance? always halves damage but the translation was bad?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lih posted:

what does byleth's thyrsus actually do with the "may halve damage if carried" bit? is it some unspecified chance? always halves damage but the translation was bad?

It's a random chance while Engaged. It's the same effect it had in 3H. In 3H I think it was Dex% chance so that might also be the case here.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I know we have the data already in triangleattack, but it's kinda a thing you don't really notice for how busted Merrin and Panette are at debut when you're 10 levels gained since then and literally no one is still coming close to their stats still.

An underrated flaw I'm finding about Celine is how absurdly low her HP is. She's got like 3 levels over my Anna and already has less HP at 33 at 10/13.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kanos posted:

Being able to burn bond fragments to level rings is a hugely important part of why the system is fun, because it means that the rings are inherently modular and you equip them on people you want to use them most effectively rather than feeling compelled to put them on people you don't want to use the ring but you need to grind out a skill for.

Engage's class and skill system is not flawless and has some real issues and pain points, but it successfully killed the "spend 85% of the game in classes you don't want someone to be in so they can bloom into their perfect butterfly form for the last 15% of the game" conceit that the series had been brewing since Awakening without completely killing all forms of customization, and that is a solid achievement.

100% agreed. It definitely eases the game but it makes it way more enjoyable which imo should be a more important criteria than appeasing hardcore players who want higher difficulty.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Not sure how I feel about revival gems. On the one hand it’s nice having bosses that actually require coordination to take down, but I feel that it makes it annoying when most bosses in the game have an engage attack that can one shot any of your units. Because that means past a certain point in the game every single chapter grinds to a halt 3/4ths in as as you pause to set up your engage attack gank squad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Not sure how I feel about revival gems. On the one hand it’s nice having bosses that actually require coordination to take down, but I feel that it makes it annoying when most bosses in the game have an engage attack that can one shot any of your units. Because that means past a certain point in the game every single chapter grinds to a halt 3/4ths in as as you pause to set up your engage attack gank squad.
eh, its not that hard to kill bosses with only a few units/not much setup. there's a reason every single recurring boss in the game except griss has an obvious effective weapon weakness, and there's a reason every engage in the game has an effective weapon in one of its slots.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
without revival gems they'd probably have to retool a fair amount of stuff since it'd be way too easy to warp in with Celica or charge with Sigurd and speedrun everything

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Engaging reduces the damage from enemy Engage special attacks. If you're Engaged with a tough unit and you're getting one-shot by an Engage attack then you're probably getting hit by an effective weapon, and at that point it's your own fault.

(I say this as someone that had to rewind three times on the third Hortensia fight in Maddening because I kept forgetting Luin is a dragonslayer.)

Revival gems are good, and they gave the devs a lot more latitude in making boss fights interesting and varied. I'm not sure the whole multi-phase boss structure would work as well without tools as powerful as the Emblems available on both sides, but I'd like to see them make some kind of return.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I enjoyed the first miasma chapter 'cus I had just bought a bunch of Obstruct staves and had fun busting them out. I only used the ice field once, for the "tutorial" use of it, and then just staffed all over the place. It was a neat change of pace.

Revival gems are great, keep them in forever.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I like revival gems, but I was not a fan of Micaiah's giant band of friends that all had one, I really wanted to kill more of them, but she forced my hand

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

eh, its not that hard to kill bosses with only a few units/not much setup. there's a reason every single recurring boss in the game except griss has an obvious effective weapon weakness, and there's a reason every engage in the game has an effective weapon in one of its slots.

They all have resistance to their weakness though don't they?

Really like revival gems regardless though. Makes the end of the map a pretty big deal in most chapters and I think that's nice. It's good to have a mechanic where you need to deal with a boss for several rounds of combat to defeat them, instead of just one or two shotting them with your best units and never being in any real threat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They all have resistance to their weakness though don't they?
only sometimes on a couple maps and only on maddening

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Looking it up on Serenes and apparently Stalwart only lessens effective damage instead of resisting it entirely like I thought. And now I just feel kinda dumb for not realising this and make those darn hounds way more of a chore than they needed to be.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So I managed to beat Chapter 17 because Zephia never ran down and Veyle and Hyacinth are actually kinda lovely.

Mauvier, man. Why are you critting so much

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

I think it's always on maddening. I can't remember a single boss on maddening that actually takes effective damage from stuff like armorslayers or bows.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

I think it's always on maddening. I can't remember a single boss on maddening that actually takes effective damage from stuff like armorslayers or bows.
like the post above says there are a variety of skills like that, and i think for a decent chunk of the game the four hounds only have 'reduced' not 'remove.'

i believe stalwart makes it 2x

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah Maddening makes all bosses immune to effective damage

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Endorph posted:

like the post above says there are a variety of skills like that, and i think for a decent chunk of the game the four hounds only have 'reduced' not 'remove.'

i believe stalwart makes it 2x

Maddening gives essentially all bosses (except the final one!) Veteran+, which negates effectiveness entirely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zoran posted:

Maddening gives essentially all bosses (except the final one!) Veteran+, which negates effectiveness entirely.
huh, it does? i could have sworn hortensia and ivy at the very least were taking extra damage in those early maps from alcryst.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Endorph posted:

Uh, no, it's definitely been a thing on hard for most of the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bosses resist effective damage on hard and ignore effective damage on maddening. Effective damage still works on bosses on hard, it's just a smaller boost.

Bosses on maddening are also immune to break, which they aren't on hard.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, bosses not taking effective damage for most of the game was very noticeable to me on maddening.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The howls of outrage from a friend and me when we found out you can break bosses on hard.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

How do bosses even present a vague threat if they can be broken?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If you can't take them down in a single player phase they're still able to gently caress you up on enemy phase, basically. Break also only lasts for one combat so if you don't have units who can consistently break then someone probably has to take a counter.

Still, there's a reason they made bosses immune to break on Maddening, because it really does make them much easier to deal with on player phase than they otherwise would be. Also, on Hard, you probably can take any given boss down in a single player phase if you plan for it even a little bit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Bosses on maddening are just completely bonkers compared to other difficulties. Something like twice the amount of hp bars, can't be broken, can't be pushed, can't take effective damage. It's honestly kind of annoying because they just become flat damage checks, you can't strategize against them using the games systems much at all.

Thank God chain guard and backup still work at least.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Kanos posted:

How do bosses even present a vague threat if they can be broken?

It's almost never worth it, because there's better options for damage and you can only approach from so many angles.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

FoolyCharged posted:

Bosses on maddening are just completely bonkers compared to other difficulties. Something like twice the amount of hp bars, can't be broken, can't be pushed, can't take effective damage. It's honestly kind of annoying because they just become flat damage checks, you can't strategize against them using the games systems much at all.

Thank God chain guard and backup still work at least.

this is another item in a long list of reasons why I'll never play on Maddening. Having bosses just go "rules for thee but not for meeeeee ohohohho!" is just lame

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's almost never worth it, because there's better options for damage and you can only approach from so many angles.

On Maddening, the biggest challenge in dealing with bosses is preventing them from countering ever under any circumstances, because almost every maddening boss will instantly vaporize almost any character in the cast if they're allowed to get a solid counter off, and their inflated stats means that it becomes increasingly difficult to impossible to simply blow off a life bar with an engage attack as the game goes on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Even on Hard bosses will blow up most of your characters if you give them a chance to attack on enemy phase, it's just a lot easier to avoid that than it is on Maddening.

Immobilizing them over and over again with Corrin's Dreadful Aura still works if you need to stall for some reason though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/keithjohnstack/status/1628032030167425025?s=46&t=2YLjQsFfq-xgj3ySpjfLJA

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

this is another item in a long list of reasons why I'll never play on Maddening. Having bosses just go "rules for thee but not for meeeeee ohohohho!" is just lame

It's annoying, but I will also say maddening bosses are a double edged sword because all of that sums up to a boss that can take your whole team dogpiling them for your turn to bring them down. And that makes killing them incredibly satisfying once it's done even if the process sucks.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Lies!

At least in my experience, attempting to do anything other than just mindlessly polishing the same place will result in the Emblem laughing at you for cleaning something that's already clean, no matter how carefully you try to target the stain.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Rand Brittain posted:

Lies!

At least in my experience, attempting to do anything other than just mindlessly polishing the same place will result in the Emblem laughing at you for cleaning something that's already clean, no matter how carefully you try to target the stain.

The grime isn't real. You have to probe around until they whistle, and then polish harder. Or don't. They'll only gripe at you if you try to polish hard outside of the sweet spot, which moves every time it's polished hard. And then they boredly thank you.

Some of your characters might actually blush, but the emblems don't seem to think there's anything weird going on. It's just filthy anthropomorphizing on behalf of the game players and the non emblems. It's a really, really funny joke.

I feel like a lot of this game is a really funny joke that sails over the playerbase's head. The entire game is openly making fun of the entire series, and it's a delight.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
So what is the strategy for bosses on maddening, it sounds like the game takes most of your tools and all the fun stuff away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mycatscrimes posted:

So what is the strategy for bosses on maddening, it sounds like the game takes most of your tools and all the fun stuff away?

I think it's a little bit of an exaggeration to say that none of your characters can take a hit from Maddening bosses. Some of them will be able to, but the definition of "squishy" definitely gets expanded to include more units/classes than it does on Hard. So you can have people attack in melee and take a counter, you just probably don't want to let the boss have a free enemy phase on you.

It's definitely true early on though. The game has a distressing number of early bosses with hand axes who will absolutely delete any of your non-engaged units so your best bet there is to save your most damaging Engage attacks and burn the boss down with those because you won't take counters. Weirdly, some later bosses can be stuck with melee weapons and safely attacked from 2 range on player phase, but the earlier bosses are more likely to be wielding a 1-2 range weapon and make that harder.

You still have lots of tools that work. Corrin lets you debuff and immobilize bosses. Freeze staves work. Engage attacks still deal tons of damage. Chain attacks work great. Most bosses (maybe all bosses?) don't have 3-range so Longbows and Thunder tomes are great ways to safely chip (or nuke if you have Dire Thunder). You can lure them with Lyn doubles, Chain Guard, or Lucina's Bond Shield if you need to take an enemy phase attack. If a boss uses tomes you can still Silence them. And while you can't evade or block a boss's Engage attack if they have one, being Engaged yourself cuts the damage you take, so someone Engaged with a tanky emblem like Ike or Hector can tank an Engage attack if you need someone to.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 21, 2023