Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Was mainly a fighter this play test and really like them, I’ll do another next time but also looking forward to really trying a rogue and a ranger, both seem extremely apt for solo bullshittery. Didn’t have much time to level both up to really play around with the perks.

I played barb last two playtest and I feel dumb not trying fighter because longsword and halberd look so fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Groovelord Neato posted:

I played barb last two playtest and I feel dumb not trying fighter because longsword and halberd look so fun.
Had a blast with a high dmg blue Halberd I looted from some corpse. Many triple kills especially when they try to run or bunch up together with cleric.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Had a blast with a high dmg blue Halberd I looted from some corpse. Many triple kills especially when they try to run or bunch up together with cleric.

The swinging animation with the Zweihander is the hardest thing to get used to, especially in narrow hallway fights.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Yeah the moveset looked great and the range is a bonus. As busted as everyone says the felling axe is the range is tiny and I don't think you can drag it to hit multiple enemies as well as you can with other weapons.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

I doubt it'd go anywhere against more disciplined/experienced people but as a rogue using invis conspicuously at the start of a fight and then crouch walking to another position really distracts people. They either waste time trying to knock you out of it or reposition assuming you're going to flank them. Still not really a big team fight contributor playing up the distraction/disorientation angle kinda works and feels right for the class.

Anyway I think this game is utterly hopeless to balance for high end competition. Even if gear didn't exist it'd be a mess. TF2 comes to mind as a pretty close parallel. That's another game where all the classes are fun but about half of them are somewhere between worthless and niche/flex if you really care about winning. Also another game where really caring about winning makes it a lot less fun.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Jiro posted:

The swinging animation with the Zweihander is the hardest thing to get used to, especially in narrow hallway fights.

The zwei belongs in the trash.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Savage For The Winjun posted:

Just yell "im friendly" over and over while stabbing someone with proximity chat

Yeah but my team never uses prox chat they always use team chat so it's not as fun

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Proximity VOIP should 100% be enabled by default. Let joyless bitter angry people turn it off or team-only if they want, but it's a valuable tool and opens up more cooperation options having it turned on by default.

On an unrelated note, since the game uses UE I assume there are CFG files that can be tweaked to do things that might not be exposed in the ingame options menus. Anyone messed with those during the alphas so far?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Jiro posted:

If you have played Chivalry 2 it's a lot easier because you can shorten your DnD swing in the exact same way you speed up your swing in Chiv, ie whip your camera leftward as you swing to change where the cleave starts/ends.

Makes it easy to hit doors in hallways etc. Also makes it easier to hit rogues trying to flank around you.

VulgarandStupid posted:

The zwei belongs in the trash.

It's dangerous in team fights but it's absolutely the strongest weapon in the game for clearing groups. I absolutely destroyed several full groups last wipe and also always killed PartialOctopus but that's his fault for not respecting the cleave

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 22, 2023

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Hard to use? Yes. Dangerous to your teammates? Absolutely. Possibly not worth the effort for most players? Maybe.

But nothing that can lay down a triple 2H headshot (90+ damage?) that easily skips over shields is "trash", I will fight you there. That thing is a head deleter.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I would respect zwei more if so many areas in the game weren't cramped enough to make using it at all difficult

also good shield users absolutely block that poo poo and I don't judge weapons by how good they are at stomping scrubs

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Franks Happy Place posted:

If you have played Chivalry 2 it's a lot easier because you can shorten your DnD swing in the exact same way you speed up your swing in Chiv, ie whip your camera leftward as you swing to change where the cleave starts/ends.

Makes it easy to hit doors in hallways etc. Also makes it easier to hit rogues trying to flank around you.

It's dangerous in team fights but it's absolutely the strongest weapon in the game for clearing groups. I absolutely destroyed several full groups last wipe and also always killed PartialOctopus but that's his fault for not respecting the cleave

War maul prob better.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
theres a war maul? man playing only ranger and rogue hosed me up

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

War maul prob better.

Zwei is like a quarter second faster and has a noticeably longer range.

Also does War Maul cleave, like, everything? Because the #1 best feature of Zwei is the fact that you get to hit EVERYONE with your swings. None of the other 2H weapons I used much (Battle Axe, Felling Axe, Longsword, Halberd, probably some others I'm forgetting) had nearly the same unstoppable swing. I'm pretty sure it's a unique Zwei property. :shrug:

I don't know who these good shield users are that can predict whether or not I'm gonna kneel or jump at the last second but I didn't run into enough of them to stop splitting melons, so I will keep advocating for my big dumb sword.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
War Maul is just too slow to justify the extra damage imo.

-55 or whatever movement speed sucks balls.

Personally I'm a longsword enjoyer.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah the war mail cleaves really well but I wasn't a fan of it on barb

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Have seen anyone talk about it yet, but next playtest is gonna be between March/April, Early Access late April/May (PAID Early Access, but likely cheap) and release in Q4 2023.

https://imgur.com/a/Sied4Q6

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Please let the next play test be the week of March 13-17th because the wife and kids will be out of town visiting family the whole week :hellyeah:

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

ShowTime posted:

Have seen anyone talk about it yet, but next playtest is gonna be between March/April, Early Access late April/May (PAID Early Access, but likely cheap) and release in Q4 2023.

gently caress yes, countdown to sweaty times.

Also, on the topic of Zwei cleaves, here's a video that shows what I'm talking about (granted, he's soloing a comically bad team, but you see the juicy cleaves regardless)

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkAndDarker/comments/zu7b8r/barbarian_zweihander_a_lot_of_luck/

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

ShowTime posted:

I really, really doubt they are going to have a "full" release in Q4 of 2023.. I've heard them talk about their vision for the game, and that simply is not enough time for it. Either they go back on that and stay in EA hell like Tarkov forever or they just release another map and 2 more classes and say it's the full release.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Franks Happy Place posted:

gently caress yes, countdown to sweaty times.

Also, on the topic of Zwei cleaves, here's a video that shows what I'm talking about (granted, he's soloing a comically bad team, but you see the juicy cleaves regardless)

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkAndDarker/comments/zu7b8r/barbarian_zweihander_a_lot_of_luck/

I wouldn't mistake killing 3 really bad dudes for actually being good. I've killed every Zwei user I've seen either with a spear fighter, quarterstaff barb or horseman barb. There is a good reason no one runs that poo poo when actually geared.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah the thing about swinging a zwei is that it's slow as gently caress so weapons that are good at spacing can space you out, and you're not really able to defend yourself other than killing the other guy(s) so if the other guy mashes your brains in with horseman's axe or whatever he kills you first just due to having higher dps/faster ttk

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Next play test confirmed April 14th-19th from the official discord

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
gently caress that’s so long :(

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
What the hell am I going to play until the next playtest?! Everything else sucks now :(

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Practice your lute playing in Mordhau?

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

It's only two months! Two months ago was the previous playtest. Two months before that - the previous playtest. Dunno when alpha test 1 was, I didn't play it then!

Halloween - Christmas - Valentines - ?? Easter I guess? Are they going to add a Jesus merchant?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Concurred posted:

It's only two months! Two months ago was the previous playtest. Two months before that - the previous playtest. Dunno when alpha test 1 was, I didn't play it then!

Halloween - Christmas - Valentines - ?? Easter I guess? Are they going to add a Jesus merchant?

Would you trust a 'chocolate' egg you found in a mummy corpse?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
This always comes up between playtests, people counting down the days between when they can't and then can play again. Sorry, unfortunately nothing exists right now that compares. Expedition to Agartha is maybe the closest and it has like, 3-10 player at any given time. There are a lot of games that kind of skirt the edges of similariaty, like Mortal Online 2, Bannerlord, Gloria Victis, but they aren't what Dark and Darker is.

Get those games out of the way you were thinking of playing because you might spend a ton of time on this game during the next playtest which will likely be very close to early access.

It's also gonna be a spicy time for games this summer, with games like Starfield, Diablo 4, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and many more coming out.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

How many days has it been? *twitch*

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXL7YT0vsZU

I like this video for showing friends why I love this game

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

after reading through this thread and watching videos i really want to play this game.

Is it worse to never have played at all, or to have done a playtest and be jonesing for your next fix for the next 2 months...?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

after reading through this thread and watching videos i really want to play this game.

Is it worse to never have played at all, or to have done a playtest and be jonesing for your next fix for the next 2 months...?

It is better to have never played at all, than to have played and lost.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

DisgracelandUSA posted:

It is better to have never played at all, than to have played and lost.

Yeah, for sure. This game hit me at the right time and literally I don’t want to play anything else. It all rings so hollow.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Yeah, for sure. This game hit me at the right time and literally I don’t want to play anything else. It all rings so hollow.

I tried escape from rust and tarkov and I hate them both. I've been doing Raft / Green Hell Ironman mode (no loading, no saving except to quit), but it isn't getting me there

It's shocking, I haven't felt this kind of void in happiness wrt video games in so long, like a decade or more.

E: the last time I felt like this was 2008 when the first D3 trailers were released and I got super hyped and then realized I had 2 more years to go.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 26, 2023

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
For the next playtest, I'm focusing on ranger and cleric. I found a ranger guide and it's solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4V-hVw-6AA

Dystopia Barbarian fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 26, 2023

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

DisgracelandUSA posted:

It's shocking, I haven't felt this kind of void in happiness wrt video games in so long, like a decade or more.

E: the last time I felt like this was 2008 when the first D3 trailers were released and I got super hyped and then realized I had 2 more years to go.
Big mood. I've been having some fun in hunt: showdown fwiw

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I would be cautious of hyping yourself up with a preplanned build based on hilariously OP skills/talents which are 110% going to eat a nerf, like Quickshot. Especially if they enable at least a partial skilltree in the upcoming test, since that could change everything.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

sushibandit posted:

I would be cautious of hyping yourself up with a preplanned build based on hilariously OP skills/talents which are 110% going to eat a nerf, like Quickshot. Especially if they enable at least a partial skilltree in the upcoming test, since that could change everything.
You're right, my hype is mostly just copium for the reality that I have to wait 7 weeks to play it again. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
Anyway here's some longsword goodness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfSb3E5tIlo