Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/1628050162525569024?t=Yx6JMzqFw6fCP4AO79BZ2A&s=19

English version of the Marie remake announcement trailer. Notes that it'll include an "Unlimited Mode" to play without the 5-year exam time limit.

I'd never looked that much into Marie so it's pretty funny to learn that the premise of the first Atelier game was climbing your way out of being the absolute worst alchemy student ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I want to know if the Legend of Dragoon port is laggy as all hell. Its probably emulated right?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

to be clear, soul hackers 2's budget issues are felt primarily in the dungeon design. these are the boxiest, 90-degree rear end dungeons you've seen since the PSP. It's felt slightly in the character animation as they do not really transition between facial emotions very well and every animation is canned even in cutscenes. but outside of that, the rest of the game is pretty stylish and cool

so you get one part of the game that is slick and polished, and then one part that is put together with tied up bedsheets, and you hop back and forth between

at the very least, there's turbo and sprint buttons now

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

it's completely arbitrary what you're allowed to redeem on that service if you owned it previously, huh?

got to add harvest moon and legend of dragoon, but not wa2. even though they let me redeem wa1. why the hell did I buy so many digital ps1 games during the ps3 generation?

it's funny because I think I got Wild Arms for free during some now ancient redeem for some Sony anniversary.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What other Jrpgs are systemically similar to Ys 8 and 9? Where they have lots of interlocking little systems and sidequests that tie together, and the package isnt a pain in the rear end to 100.

Chained Echoes was one but the plot and wonky endgame-balance makes it too much of an albatross to replay.

I would also like to know the answer to this

Dark Cloud 2 has a bit of it, lots of different systems and things to do and some of them are very much connected. but it's a pretty different kind of game to Ys

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Motto posted:

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/1628050162525569024?t=Yx6JMzqFw6fCP4AO79BZ2A&s=19

English version of the Marie remake announcement trailer. Notes that it'll include an "Unlimited Mode" to play without the 5-year exam time limit.

I'd never looked that much into Marie so it's pretty funny to learn that the premise of the first Atelier game was climbing your way out of being the absolute worst alchemy student ever.

So she went to alchemy school long enough to get the worst grades ever, and now her final exam lasts another 5 years? How long does it take to become an alchemist in total?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

So she went to alchemy school long enough to get the worst grades ever, and now her final exam lasts another 5 years? How long does it take to become an alchemist in total?
alchemy school in atelier marie's probably best understood as like medical college but for alchemy. so think of the atelier as a residency.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Is Stardust visible in Legend of Dragoon? I picked one up right at the beginning and didn't notice if it sparkled or anything. I looked online but nothing describes what to look for.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Nihilarian posted:

I want to know if the Legend of Dragoon port is laggy as all hell. Its probably emulated right?

I'm playing through it and it doesn't seem to have any lag per se but the game is slow as hell in general. Battles take forever and there's no FF or 2x speed function. There is a rewind though??

Hector Delgado posted:

Is Stardust visible in Legend of Dragoon? I picked one up right at the beginning and didn't notice if it sparkled or anything. I looked online but nothing describes what to look for.

No, it's invisible Guide here

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 21, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Clarste posted:

atelier elie makes it an actual mechanic that, if you get bad enough grades in that game, elie also gets a five year extension. but if you get really good grades you get like a one year extension to let you perform extra research instead

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RareAcumen posted:

hosed up that we're constantly one in depth conversation with a Nintendo executive explaining that 'Bounty Hunting is literally just Mega Man' away from having 5 new Metroid and F-Zero games announced every year.

Megaman isn't a bounty hunter though, he's a janitor who has to clean up messes in very violent and explosive fashion.

X, on the other hand, is a cop.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
x and zero are kind of cops, but also kind of robot servants created by humanity to be cops who can in turn be turned into criminals if humanity decides they don't like them, they are in kind of a genuinely lovely situation and lack a lot of freedom and choice over who they can be, except this only comes up in like one x game and for some reason they ignore it again all the way up into zero where this idea becomes the entire core of the story and the entire game is effectively about how the way society was set up in x was kinda broken.

it's, really weird how mega man classic and x lack any kind of introspection despite each having one game that comes insanely close, like how mega man 9 (10?) makes a whole plot point of wily telling some robots "you know, it's hosed up that you have a deactivation date." and everyone just ignores how that statement is, exactly correct. and then randomly all of the zero games are the most weirdly introspective games in the series, before zx goes back to mostly being goofy tokusatsu action

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
mega man storytelling ftw

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Star Force 1 best Megaman plot

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Looper posted:

mega man storytelling ftw

https://youtu.be/PPoLGkQJLBU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
X isn't a cop, X is their dad. And he is very, very disappointed in them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
He's sometimes also tech support because some Mavericks are infected by the virus

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nihilarian posted:

It's not a port, it's emulated, yes. It's essentially just how it was on the Playstation but now you have save states and rewind. And trophies.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The Colonel posted:

it's, really weird how mega man classic and x lack any kind of introspection despite each having one game that comes insanely close, like how mega man 9 (10?) makes a whole plot point of wily telling some robots "you know, it's hosed up that you have a deactivation date." and everyone just ignores how that statement is, exactly correct. and then randomly all of the zero games are the most weirdly introspective games in the series, before zx goes back to mostly being goofy tokusatsu action

It is pretty funny how how the way ZX explains how we're in a post-Reploid racism world is like "to even the playing field we cybernetically augmented the entire human race and legally required Reploids to die of old age, so now we're fine with Reploids having rights."

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
So the Wild Arms 2 that hit psn today, is it the one with the uh, interesting translation? The "vacillating in the blood" version?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hector Delgado posted:

So the Wild Arms 2 that hit psn today, is it the one with the uh, interesting translation? The "vacillating in the blood" version?

Sure is

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Oh boy, thanks

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Iris/Zero poltline boils down to 'stealing WMDs and setting up an ethnostate is pretty romantic isnt it?'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tunicate posted:

The Iris/Zero poltline boils down to 'stealing WMDs and setting up an ethnostate is pretty romantic isnt it?'

But is it worth fighting for?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Big Boss liked this post

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Big Boss liked this post

Soldier is not an ethnicity

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Soldier is not an ethnicity

Big Boss disliked this post.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
nearly forgot we got our last Redemption Reapers video (it drops tomorrow!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFDxOjazCYM

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
tears for the redemption reapers, tears for the redemption reapers, woe woe be the reaper, woe woe be the reaper

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hector Delgado posted:

I don't think there are any other official translations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Junpei posted:

nearly forgot we got our last Redemption Reapers video (it drops tomorrow!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFDxOjazCYM
I hope the OST is as good as the music was in the gameplay trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTBJM8P0Vak

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the hosed up part of wild arms 2 is that, the vacillating in the blood line is one of the more faithful bits of the tl. that character just. talks like that. all the time.

the actual problem is that the casual dialog is tled very badly, way too stiff, and the english font choice is bad

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
redemption reapers looks great, but i wish they used colors other than brown, grey and black.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
People need to just save budget and not animate in 3d if it looks like everyone is suffering from severe botox paralysis

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tae posted:

People need to just save budget and not animate in 3d if it looks like everyone is suffering from severe botox paralysis

another instance where i feel that the ol' phantasy star 4 comic book panels would come in mighty handy

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Vermain posted:

another instance where i feel that the ol' phantasy star 4 comic book panels would come in mighty handy

this thread complains when modern games do that though

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

redemption reapers looks great, but i wish they used colors other than brown, grey and black.

Shocking: Dark Fantasy Game About Anti-Heroes Seeking Redemption Looks Dark Instead Of Being Pastel And Rainbow-Filled

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the english font choice is bad

I don't remember minding it so much back when I played WA2 on PSX for the first time, but uh, trying to play it a couple of years ago on the Vita was real rough.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Junpei posted:

Shocking: Dark Fantasy Game About Anti-Heroes Seeking Redemption Looks Dark Instead Of Being Pastel And Rainbow-Filled

you realize theres a middle ground right

berseria is probably the darkest tales game and it still has, like, color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

kirbysuperstar posted:

this thread complains when modern games do that though

Scarlet Nexus did comic panels for cutscenes and people seemed to hate it, yeah.