Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

A shared universe that doesn't acknowledge eachothers' contributions to that universe, given how Discovery is now so far in the future it's basically in an alternate reality from the other shows, and stuff from Lower Decks and Prodigy are legally prohibited from even appearing in Picard as background details. Strange New Worlds is the only show willing to acknowledge the existence of other Modern Trek ventures, namely Discovery very briefly, and Lower Decks coming up later this year.

But that's it.

Why is stuff from Lower Decks and Prodigy prohibited from being in Picard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Twincityhacker posted:

One of the VFX artists working on Picard tried to slip a couple of California-classes and Parliament-classes into the fleet shots from Picard Season 3 and some pencil necked producer and/or censor spotted them and forced them to delete them because of some arcane legal rights bullshit thing that would involve CBS having to sue itself or something, either way the explanation was they were not legally allowed to put in stuff from one Star Trek show as cameo in another Star Trek show.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Twincityhacker posted:

Because of reasons and regulations at Paramount/CBS the shows are not allowed to overlap at all, unless specifically given permission to do so.

EDIT: Lower Decks visiting DS9 was considered a "breakthrough" by the show runner, and while I think it relied a bit too much on the "look we are at Deep Space 9!!!" it gives you an idea on how strict they are on controlling cross-overs.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 21, 2023

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

Lower Decks, SNW and Prodigy are all legitimately good shows, but I don't blame you if Picard just sucked the wind out of your sails.

Discovery and Picard suffer so that SNW, LDS, and Prodigy can thrive.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

zoux posted:

Wait no don't watch Enterprise...ah drat I'm too late

ENT wanted to have its cake and so on by inventing entire massive antagonists races that we've never heard of like the Xindi and Suliban but also by introducing Golden Age Trek fan faves like the borg and ferengi and "Maybe one day they'll make a NEW directive, one that is superior to all the others. Prime, so to speak"

Yeah this is the exact vibes that I am getting. "gently caress this show isn't doing very well, let's create new massive enemy alien race/team of aliens just like The Dominion for our longterm plot lines!" with poo poo like "Borg introduction influenced by The Thing."

DS9 had the best writers room by far I think; give them a prequel series directive and we would've had some awesome seasons.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Borg Thing episode was great though, you just have to ignore what a catastrophic effect it would have had on future Starfleet policy by the end

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Lower Decks, SNW and Prodigy are all legitimately good shows, but I don't blame you if Picard just sucked the wind out of your sails.

I mean it's the one two punch of Discovery and Picardshow and then the massive pivot towards fanservice. You still have the crappy writing but now they're doing stuff like hitting us over the head with Picard's flute or whatever and it's just such a massive turn off to me. I feel bad for ever complaining about continuity or production design because bringing back LCARS didn't do poo poo :(

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I don't completely hate Enterprise, but it was a show whose whole premise was to be unique and revolutionary (at least in the context of 90s Trek) run by the most boring, risk-averse, and lovely people imaginable. It was doomed from day one because the people creating it were utterly unsuitable for the concept.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No Dignity posted:

The Borg Thing episode was great though, you just have to ignore what a catastrophic effect it would have had on future Starfleet policy by the end

I disagree with that. The thing is basically Star Trek's Roswell.

"Who the hell were those guys? Nothing we can do about them, so massive official coverup it is."

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If there was a ds9 movie, or a reboot with the old actors how do you think they would they explain Renee Auberjonois' death? Did Odo go and live with the changelings or do you think they'd cast a different actor and "Odo has decided to change his look"?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Trek closer to the '90s would probably choose the "Odo is still with his people" option. Modern Trek would probably have some overexplaining backstory about Odo choosing to change his look because of deep-seated trauma we conveniently are only hearing about now.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Sash! posted:

I disagree with that. The thing is basically Star Trek's Roswell.

"Who the hell were those guys? Nothing we can do about them, so massive official coverup it is."

But it's a coverup that makes no sense! The Borg episode makes me irrationally angry!

(and yet I'm willing to forgive the Ferengi one...)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I can sort of see that Ferengi might have been one of a variety of new species that humans met in the 2160s and were just lost in the shuffle. Fair enough. The idea that humanity ran into the Borg in Archer's time and just...forgot for 200 years, though, is ridiculous.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Trek closer to the '90s would probably choose the "Odo is still with his people" option. Modern Trek would probably have some overexplaining backstory about Odo choosing to change his look because of deep-seated trauma we conveniently are only hearing about now.

I mean SNW has been pretty good about it's recast of legacy role actors so far. Just don't even bother explaining it, just "This is what Pike/Spock/Uhura/Kirk look and sound like now, deal with it."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean SNW has been pretty good about it's recast of legacy role actors so far. Just don't even bother explaining it, just "This is what Pike/Spock/Uhura/Kirk look and sound like now, deal with it."

And honestly, I prefer that approach to the :words: tendency of a lot of modern media.

It's also what TMP did with the Klingons, and (controversially?) I wish they had left the explanation at Worf's "we don't talk about it with outsiders" line in Trials and Tribbleations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Nu-Kirk is a weird one for me because 80% of the episode had me questioning him, but then he’d do something subtle and it was bang on. Looking forward to seeing more of him in S2.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I can sort of see that Ferengi might have been one of a variety of new species that humans met in the 2160s and were just lost in the shuffle. Fair enough. The idea that humanity ran into the Borg in Archer's time and just...forgot for 200 years, though, is ridiculous.

The First Contact movie changed the prime timeline so that there were some remnant stuff left on Earth, that ENT episode explained it away why this wasn't really recorded anywhere and honestly, it sure was asspullish way to do it but did get the job done.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Some shows have a problem where they feel like they want to give all their characters an entertaining backstory for why they're like that, when the backstory/explanation that makes sense is really short, boring, and something we've seen IRL a lot of times for that certain type of people

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 22, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Nu-Kirk is a weird one for me because 80% of the episode had me questioning him, but then he’d do something subtle and it was bang on. Looking forward to seeing more of him in S2.

And I think that was supposed to be intentional. That Kirk was a Kirk without an Enterprise thanks to Pike's time fuckery, so he was functionally a different version of that guy. The Kirk we meet in Season 2 will probably be more like the Kirk we know, or at least a guy on the path to becoming the Kirk that we know.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I appreciated their restraint in not getting him to do his broadest Shatner impression

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Dignity posted:

I appreciated their restraint in not getting him to do his broadest Shatner impression

It's the same way how Chris Pine isn't playing Shatner, but he's still instantly recognizable as Jim Kirk.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I did note that Anson Mount in old man makeup looked and sounded freakishly close to 80s Shatner lol

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

wesleywillis posted:

If there was a ds9 movie, or a reboot with the old actors how do you think they would they explain Renee Auberjonois' death? Did Odo go and live with the changelings or do you think they'd cast a different actor and "Odo has decided to change his look"?

DEEP FAKE RENE

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Odo already had such a perfect ending it would feel perfectly justified in not bringing him back

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We already had the DS9 reunion, with Kira and Quark!

Really, the DS9 ending was so perfect in that all the characters' stories continue but weren't on DS9. Every other ending is just like "this crew is gonna keep doing their thing" but DS9 really ENDS.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I didn't like the abrupt-feeling/slightly stupid culmination of the whole prophets vs pah-wraiths conflict in DS9 multi-part finale when I saw it for the first time while marathoning the show. But rewatching the 8-part finale on a lot of ketamine recently I gained a much greater appreciation for it and thought they did as good of a job as possible. I think without the expectations or feelings for how it should end when you see it for first time, the Weyoun meme stuff/Worf + Ezri/Damar comedy felt a lot more funny than it did first watch thru where I probably judged it harshly or thought it was lame.
I was laughing throughout entire finale really.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

We already had the DS9 reunion, with Kira and Quark!

Really, the DS9 ending was so perfect in that all the characters' stories continue but weren't on DS9. Every other ending is just like "this crew is gonna keep doing their thing" but DS9 really ENDS.

The original draft of Nemesis had that going for it too. Originally, loving EVERYONE was leaving the Enterprise after Will's wedding. Troi and Riker were going to the Titan. Worf was going back to Qo'noS, Beverly was going to San Fran to take a position with Starfleet Medical, and Geordi was going to Utopia Planitia, so Picard starts the movie with "Well, at least I'll always have you, Data." and then ends the movie with "Welllll poo poo :smith:". But that sadly never happened.

It's also kind of hinted at that everyone on Voyager was going to go their separate ways once they got back to the Alpha Quadrant, but we never got to see it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I like DS9's ending, but the bittersweet ending with everyone running off to do their own things ~*~separately~*~ is definitely a very 90s way to close off a show

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

Worf was going back to Qo'noS

This part isn't accurate, at least according to the first draft and the shooting script that I have. Both of them have Worf on the Enterprise's bridge as second officer at the end.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

disaster pastor posted:

I'm an outlier in the thread, but I'd rate every season of Enterprise as on the level of the worst Star Trek. Whatever episode of Discovery I liked least, and there are a multitude of contenders there, I'd rather rewatch that than the best episode of Enterprise.

Picard season 2 might be the single most displeasing season of Star Trek I can think of thanks to recency bias, but it at least has the decency to merely be seven not very good episodes of television. There's like 100 episodes of Enterprise, the idea of slogging through those first two bad seasons or the terribly aged 9/11 Vengeance Quest season are even more disagreeable to me than the idea of watching Picard s2 again.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

All I wanted was a stargazer series with capt rios, biggest crime of trek history

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seemlar posted:

Picard season 2 might be the single most displeasing season of Star Trek I can think of thanks to recency bias, but it at least has the decency to merely be seven not very good episodes of television. There's like 100 episodes of Enterprise, the idea of slogging through those first two bad seasons or the terribly aged 9/11 Vengeance Quest season are even more disagreeable to me than the idea of watching Picard s2 again.

It's the most spiteful thing I've ever seen on TV in a long while in regards to its characters.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Tiberius Christ posted:

All I wanted was a stargazer series with capt rios, biggest crime of trek history

It's like if people had looked at season 2 of Discovery and decided that instead of giving a spinoff to this charismatic Captain and his ship, what Christopher Pike instead slipped on a banana peel and died

nine-gear crow posted:

It's the most spiteful thing I've ever seen on TV in a long while in regards to its characters.

That aspect of it is unambiguously a thousand times worse than anything it's story did. The story is a messy, dragged out whiff, what it did to it's cast is venomous to the point that it will taint that shows third season for me even if it does turn out completely good.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tiberius Christ posted:

:same: I think this may have taken the top spot in my book away from "Lyndsay Ballard."

Der Kyhe posted:

Because of reasons and regulations at Paramount/CBS the shows are not allowed to overlap at all, unless specifically given permission to do so.

EDIT: Lower Decks visiting DS9 was considered a "breakthrough" by the show runner, and while I think it relied a bit too much on the "look we are at Deep Space 9!!!" it gives you an idea on how strict they are on controlling cross-overs.

nine-gear crow posted:

One of the VFX artists working on Picard tried to slip a couple of California-classes and Parliament-classes into the fleet shots from Picard Season 3 and some pencil necked producer and/or censor spotted them and forced them to delete them because of some arcane legal rights bullshit thing that would involve CBS having to sue itself or something, either way the explanation was they were not legally allowed to put in stuff from one Star Trek show as cameo in another Star Trek show.

Not to be a dick, but is there anyplace this appears online from semi-official sources? Because it sounds like a lot of that Doomcock level "25% different" stuff that was never proven to be true about the early DISCO designs and the Kelvinverse pre-remerger.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Astroman posted:

Not to be a dick, but is there anyplace this appears online from semi-official sources? Because it sounds like a lot of that Doomcock level "25% different" stuff that was never proven to be true about the early DISCO designs and the Kelvinverse pre-remerger.

Uuuugh, you made me have to go digging through my massive Trek posting history to find this because I will not shut up about Star Trek on the internet:

https://twitter.com/esdi/status/1569438674852675584

https://twitter.com/esdi/status/1627640323919986688

https://twitter.com/esdi/status/1569469178243072002

https://twitter.com/esdi/status/1569796866195492865

E: Also credit where it's due, the dork behind Midnight's Edge made up the "25% different" lie. Doomcock just stole it and ran with it, because that's what Doomcock does, snorts up anything off any surface with his toilet face and repeats it like it's true.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 22, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Wait. Is this the same fan-turned-pro that made the ship on his own time? Because the "on his own time" is the legal issue NOT that they're different shows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, it seems it was mostly about the Parliament Class which seems to be a fan build rather than the Cali in the background.

That person also says:

"Was asked to remove them. I think it was a purely creative decision."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, it seems it was mostly about the Parliament Class which seems to be a fan build rather than the Cali in the background.

That person also says:

"Was asked to remove them. I think it was a purely creative decision."

I mean, they had both a Parliament class and a Cali class designed for Star Trek Online at that point and they were swiping STO ship models by the handful to put into fleet shots, so they could have just used the STO models for it. It being "a creative decision" just makes it sound even pettier. Why not put a couple of ships in from the shows that everyone actually likes... oh right, don't remind them of the better works in your ongoing trashfire of a show.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Just watching random DS9 episode I decided to put on Once More Unto The Breach, god sakes that is such a good episode. John Colicos as Kor was always a delight but watching the character hit such a rock bottom and then seize a chance for one last victory and die on his own terms is just loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, they had both a Parliament class and a Cali class designed for Star Trek Online at that point and they were swiping STO ship models by the handful to put into fleet shots, so they could have just used the STO models for it. It being "a creative decision" just makes it sound even pettier. Why not put a couple of ships in from the shows that everyone actually likes... oh right, don't remind them of the better works in your ongoing trashfire of a show.

Now they've swung back around are just like well let's put a couple minutes at the end of music from a good show over random trekkie bait b roll of doodads