Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Hochul is the dumbest, most awful person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shageletic posted:

the dumbest, most awful person

why not shorten it to governor of ny?

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
https://hellgatenyc.com/will-governor-hochul-go-to-war-with-her-own-party-to-save-her-judicial-nominee

This has a few really good specific moments of times Lasalle overexaggerated or underplayed things to make himself look better during the hearing.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

In Training posted:

He's going to get binned by the committee right? The question is just how far hochul is willing to fight the statehouse next. State Senate has been adamant that a vote of the full chamber would be totally out of line and she wants to sue them over it, which would what, go to state court? Who would ever preside over that kind of question, considering it would be sent to the very same chair that is causing the split. The Dems are a mess

they're not a mess; some of them are finally realizing they're supposed to vote in line with what their constituents actually want and need

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Why is Hochul so invested in this one unpopular guy? Is just that real estate money wants him and she's beholden to them?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Why is Hochul so invested in this one unpopular guy? Is just that real estate money wants him and she's beholden to them?

i think it's just pride. she doesn't want to lose a fight to the dreaded Left (even though a lot of the anti-lasalle forces are libs). she's kinda dumb and has bad instincts, probably why Cuomo chose her in the first place.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah she kind of reminds me of a beaver stuck on dry land and building a dam anyway, because that's all she wants or knows how to do. Hopefully she bows out or gets primaried in 2026, Cuomo scorched the political earth here but some green shoots are starting to show up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

do we have governor term limits yet?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

do we have governor term limits yet?

lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hochul wants to raise payroll taxes to patch the mta budget.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

"The new funding also would help foot the bill for additional police patrols on the subway system that started in October amid concerns about crime."
"The state projected it would end the current budget year with an $8.7 billion surplus, half of which Ms. Hochul plans to put in reserve."
"MTA Chairman and Chief Executive Janno Lieber, who has been lobbying lawmakers for additional funding, said in an interview that the governor’s proposal would allow the authority to avoid service cuts but not a 5.5% fare hike"

Hmmmm

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Functional transit!
No more real estate developers

aww they got this all screwed up

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I guess the governor decided that suing her own conference would look bad, so she got a Republican to do it for her:
https://twitter.com/ZackFinkNews/status/1623730370024812547

(full suit)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lmao owned

https://twitter.com/zackfinknews/status/1625952412442759170

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
:dunkedon:

Still, according to Gothamist, the Republicans are going to try and continue that lawsuit:

quote:

Senate Republicans say the battle isn't over. LaSalle's nomination is dead, but the GOP intends to continue with its lawsuit in an effort to make clear the full Senate must vote on future nominees for chief judge. Initial court arguments are set for Friday in Suffolk County Supreme Court.

"I'm glad to see [LaSalle's nomination is] here on the floor, but unfortunately it's here for untoward reasons," said Long Island Sen. Anthony Palumbo, the ranking Republican on the judiciary committee who filed the GOP's lawsuit. "We need to have this issue resolved definitively, not left to the whims of a majority that feels they can change the rules at any given time."

Palumbo continued: "It does not render [the lawsuit] moot, so I look forward to Friday."

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't really get pressing on with the lawsuit... doesn't seem like it has even a bengazi for-show appeal. Do they really give a poo poo about a mandatory floor vote after committee? I guess it keeps Hochul mad at "the left" and vice versa, maybe? Maybe they feel like they need to do/talk about SOMETHING until a better culture war vector shows up?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

like could a SCOTUS ruling against the NY senate judiciary committee blow up all state legislative committee roadblocks against governors nationwide?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm not a lawyer at all, but the NYS constitution's language is "[t]he governor shall appoint, with the advice and consent of the senate, from among those recommended by the judicial nominating commission, a person to fill the office of chief judge or associate judge, as the case may be, whenever a vacancy occurs in the court of appeals;" (Article VI Section 2 Subsection e) is very similar to the US constitution's "[t]he President... shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint... Judges of the supreme Court" (Article II Section 2). Aside from "lol we can do what we want" I struggle to see how they could break down the committee system in New York without doing it to the US.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
"lol we can do what we want" is the only rule in American jurisprudence

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I suppose mootness only applies when its for good things happening

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think there were several reactionary rulings in the last ten years by the Supreme Court in cases where the original situation was moot. Don't remember which.

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

hey nyc goons idk if this is the right thread or whatever but i’m moving back to nyc for a job after a year in Berlin. I will be looking for a room to rent starting in mid March. Are streeteasy, Craigslist and Facebook still the best options for looking?

shameless self plug if anyone has a open room or know someone looking for a roommate in the BK area I’m a 32 M friendly and very clean.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Anyone have any info on the dc37 contract agreement? I'm working for the parks and every thing seems cool, but 3% pay raise seems less than what most other people get?

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

ughhhh posted:

Anyone have any info on the dc37 contract agreement? I'm working for the parks and every thing seems cool, but 3% pay raise seems less than what most other people get?

This is coming from my wive, who is DC37 at the Brooklyn Museum, but offhand she remembers that it's
-a 3% compounded per year raise, dating back to the contract expiration in 2021 and going up to 2025
-a $3,000 bonus when the contract is ratified
-a childcare fund, something like 3 mil from the city, to help with childcare costs (this is probably a pittance, but we've got our only planned kid due in September so it's a timely pittance)
-a committee to begin to think about a pilot program to consider the possibility of maybe later this year talking about, quietly, remote work

I'm certain there's other stuff, but that's off the top of her head

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

There is also the 18$ minimum wage but I don't understand if the 3% compounded raise is to raise our salary to 18$ or it's applied to the 18$ minimum that's new.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the paper said it was a 16% raise and i was like dayum, uft get me that too! but maybe the paper hosed up the math or lied

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Real hurthling! posted:

the paper said it was a 16% raise and i was like dayum, uft get me that too! but maybe the paper hosed up the math or lied

a very cursory google search posted:

The tentative agreement is retroactive, beginning on May 26, 2021, and expiring Nov. 6, 2026. It includes wage increases of 3 percent for each of the first four years of the contract, and 3.25 percent in the final year.

3% annual raises compounded over 4 years and 3.25% in the final year work out so that in each year your total raise (as a percentage of original salary) is:

3.00%
6.09%
9.27%
12.55%
16.21%

So calling it 16% is reasonable. However that 3.25% in the final year is actual over about 18 months. So it's only a 3.25% annual raise if you acknowledge that it's also taking a 0% raise for 6 months built in. This is a sneaky thing they like to do to improve chances of ratification--they get to put a bigger number on the raise while actually giving you less money. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad contract it's just worth noting.

So yes it's a 16% raise, but you won't have the full 16% until the final contract year. Any hours you already worked form May 26 2021 through May 25 2022 should be eligible for retro pay at 3% of your current wage. Then any hours from May 26, 2022 through the date the raises actually go into effect in 2023 would get retro at 6.09% and that ~6% figure is what your pay will go up by immediately. With another 3% raise coming May 26 of this year (which will total 9.27% of your current rate). on May 26, 2025 you'll finally be at that full 16.21% of your current pay and you will be under contract at those rates until November of 2027.

The most recent TWU contract which expires this May was raises of 2%, 2.25%, 2.5%, and 2.75% per year which was pretty underwhelming at just under 10% over 4 years.

Edit: I'm working off of this https://www.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/120-23/mayor-adams-dc-37-tentative-contract-agreement-providing-fair-wage-increases-and#/0 announcement from the Mayor's ofice. The actual CBA and all the memorandums of understanding for the individual workplaces and groups would be necessary to know exactly how all all these programs will be implemented and how they'll affect you personally. Hopefully that information is made available to you by your unions as promptly as possible. Usually they'll include wage charts as well. Other things that spring immediately to mind:

I haven't seen much about how (or if) health insurance benefits will be impacted other than the quote from the executive board guy saying that you'll still have no premiums. Ideally this means no changes at all but it's possible there's some sneaky stuff in there about level of benefits, or even just some relatively mundane pricing adjustments where like copays might go up slightly, I haven't seen any details on this so who knows.

$3M/ year towards a child care fund will probably be some moderately subsidized group daycares or if they really phone it in a voucher program. It will be helpful to at least some people and maybe the argument can be made in future contracts to expand the program if it appears to be working well for people.

Committee on remote work will probably spend a few years drafting a report that will honestly say remote work is great and should be implemented wherever possible and then the middle managers of the city will just not do it anyway.

$70M for 'hard to fill' positions will probably look like civil service waivers for specific job titles that are historically and critically understaffed (but like, more than all the other ones) and possibly small one-time title specific raises. For example in 2018 Signal Maintainers at NYCT got an extra $1.50/hour because retention was almost impossible, as they at that time made less than almost every other front line MOW title of equal level but also had the worst working conditions. Additionally they renewed the Signal Maintainer Trainee program allowing people to progress straight into that title without a full civil service test provided they were from an eligible title and completed an 18 month training course.

Pandemic response committee sounds like it will also do nothing. Many city and state agencies actually already had a pandemic response plan prior to 2020 and just utterly failed to execute it. NYCT policy at least stated that we should have had a stockpile of masks and distributed them promptly to staff, immediately initiated social distancing, and begun rotating out staff to keep a healthy reserve workforce at all times. Instead in March of 2020 we were still writing people up for wearing masks and 'alarming passengers', crew rooms stayed overcrowded, the mask stockpile was never purchased, and hundreds of people died unnecessarily. Some of those policies were eventually, temporarily implemented at least.

$3k ratification bonus is pretty good if it's actually something everyone is eligible for. What the eligibility criteria are I don't know, probably some minimum length of time in the job at the very least. I'm assuming it's non-pensionable but as a one-time bonus it only matters if its pensionable if you're retiring rather soon anyway.

grah has issued a correction as of 10:16 on Feb 20, 2023

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/CityAndStateNY/status/1628120795305152514

Griz
May 21, 2001

how is this poo poo still going
https://twitter.com/frankrunyeon/status/1628099808240992296

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

they need to pack the bench in order to judicially veto incoming legislation like good cause eviction

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I guess "lol we can do what we want" it is.

:shepface:
(full document)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Man contributing directly to constitutional logjam:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
…they already did a full chamber vote? Is this an order to hold it again? Do they think it will go differently this time?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

haveblue posted:

…they already did a full chamber vote? Is this an order to hold it again? Do they think it will go differently this time?

This is an order to make sure they do a full chamber vote for the next guy

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

grah posted:

[...]
Committee on remote work will probably spend a few years drafting a report that will honestly say remote work is great and should be implemented wherever possible and then the middle managers of the city will just not do it anyway.

[...]

$3k ratification bonus is pretty good if it's actually something everyone is eligible for. What the eligibility criteria are I don't know, probably some minimum length of time in the job at the very least. I'm assuming it's non-pensionable but as a one-time bonus it only matters if its pensionable if you're retiring rather soon anyway.

Great write up overall. Two quick comments

Each agency has been told to figure out their remote/compressed/flexible work policy and have a pilot program in place within 60 days of ratification.

My friend and I wrote an open letter with guidance from union leadership. The letter basically says we're watching and have high expectations based on what has been agreed to and if they really want to stop attrition, they gotta go hard on remote work.

My office is probably one of the largest that was fully remote for two years, some 300+ of us. Management specifically said over and over that the Mayor was the only reason we weren't remote, so I'm putting their feet to the fire. Passing the letter around there first, then taking it to other chapters next Wednesday at the next local exec board meeting. Hope to get over 1k signers.

It may or may not do anything, but this is the one window where grassroots might have the largest effect.

On the ratification bonus, I heard the only requirement is active membership at the time of ratification. That's it.

Here's the one pager so you don't have to type a book again:

Leon Sumbitches has issued a correction as of 12:55 on Feb 22, 2023

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Great write up overall. Two quick comments

Each agency has been told to figure out their remote/compressed/flexible work policy and have a pilot program in place within 60 days of ratification.

My friend and I wrote an open letter with guidance from union leadership. The letter basically says we're watching and have high expectations based on what has been agreed to and if they really want to stop attrition, they gotta go hard on remote work.

My office is probably one of the largest that was fully remote for two years, some 300+ of us. Management specifically said over and over that the Mayor was the only reason we weren't remote, so I'm putting their feet to the fire. Passing the letter around there first, then taking it to other chapters next Wednesday at the next local exec board meeting. Hope to get over 1k signers.

It may or may not do anything, but this is the one window where grassroots might have the largest effect.

On the ratification bonus, I heard the only requirement is active membership at the time of ratification. That's it.

Here's the one pager so you don't have to type a book again:

It is possible I have become overly cynical over the years.

Having a hard deadline for a remote work pilot is more substance than I expected but I'll still believe it when I see it.

It looks like a decent contract all in all or, it would I guess if inflation wasn't insane and likely to stay that way. But that's usually the case with these things.

The bonus being pensionable and more or less universal is nice.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oh cool,.lets just get rid of it I'm sure we'll never need stuff like this again

NYC reportedly sells nearly $225M worth of COVID supplies for just $500K

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

KomradeX posted:

Oh cool,.lets just get rid of it I'm sure we'll never need stuff like this again

NYC reportedly sells nearly $225M worth of COVID supplies for just $500K

just blatant money laundering lmao

uh, also can you sell some of that to me please NYC. except the face shields those can go

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Hochul is the dumbest, most awful person
https://twitter.com/LeverNews/status/1631398842183680002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Does state law have an impeachment procedure? I have a dream.