Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Arcsech posted:

I dunno, Wyrmwood’s stuff is more nicely made than like 90% of what I see at local shops and con vendor spaces. Their prices do get ridiculous quickly above the bottom couple tiers of woods though, but those bottom tiers are pretty competitive with smaller makers, especially given all the fancy magnets and stuff.

Like, if you have a local maker that makes stuff like that, go for it.

Edit: this is about their gaming accessories, not the furniture. I do have one of the cheaper Wyrmwood tables I’m pretty happy with but am much more lukewarm on their furniture than their accessories. If you’re spending table money it’s probably worth finding a local craftsman to commission from yeah.

i have some wyrmwood accessories and they are far nicer and look better than anything else in this market. almost all game accessories are ugly nerd trash. wyrmwood dice tray design is at least simple and clean and they use a beeswax finish i really like

i was tempted by the table kickstarter but quickly realized i should just make my own. i had access to a shop at that time and made my padauk table over about 2 months worth of weekends. i started a little before the kickstarter went live and was very glad i went that direction after i followed the fulfillment saga. i made the cupholders and magnetic rails and all that too, just ripped off their basic design and mine is done with traditional joinery instead of modular bolts.

cost me maybe $1k total but i did all the labor and had a access to a free shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

One of the reasons I backed it, even though I have a game table, is that the game table I ordered is like a bit too big. I ordered one based on the largest game I had, so the table is 4 by 6.

What one did you order? All the ones I can order that will deliver (Australia whelp) are smaller - none are true "wargamer" 6x4.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Comstar posted:

What one did you order? All the ones I can order that will deliver (Australia whelp) are smaller - none are true "wargamer" 6x4.

It was the "Table of Ultimate Gaming", but unfortunately they went out of business. I believe they did deliver to Australia, but it was very expensive shipping. The 4 by 6 table was actually about half an inch longer for both dimensions for a little bit of wiggle room. It is a good table for 6,000 piece puzzles, Warhammer, oversized board games, but 4 by 6 is not a great size for what most people would consider normal boardgames.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/972632882/table-of-ultimate-gaming-the-ultimate-game-table-s/description

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It was the "Table of Ultimate Gaming", but unfortunately they went out of business. I believe they did deliver to Australia, but it was very expensive shipping. The 4 by 6 table was actually about half an inch longer for both dimensions for a little bit of wiggle room. It is a good table for 6,000 piece puzzles, Warhammer, oversized board games, but 4 by 6 is not a great size for what most people would consider normal boardgames.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/972632882/table-of-ultimate-gaming-the-ultimate-game-table-s/description

My friend has this and the little magnet decorations are always knocked off on the floor because they aren't inset from where your leg brushes table leg. Good idea, poor execution.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

djfooboo posted:

Good idea, poor execution.

This sums up the Kickstarter pretty well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://twitter.com/TheFandomentals/status/1628147562350882816?s=20

I would uh, NOT read the Reddit thread about this one

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UYRXwVeevQ

Waiving attorney-client privilege for likes and subscribes!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's real loving telling that the part he is very concerned about is accusing someone of being a rapist and not you know, the fact that maybe there is a rapist in your company. Then they fired both the accuser and accused. And it apparently happened at the company during a Christmas party with alcohol. Yeeeesh.

oh :lmao:

"When you're in a small company, you don't have dedicated HR, HR staff"

the start of the video:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 22, 2023

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Seems strange they only discovered the alleged sexual misconduct happened on their property three years after they received reports from three employees avout the misconduct. How did -where- never come up in 2020?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Christ why the gently caress are they airing their dirty laundry in public via a youtube ep.

I've got a bunch of their smaller products, and they are legitimately amazing, but gently caress me they've lost the plot lately.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've got some Wyrmwood stuff too. I think I have a dice vault from their very first kickstarter. I can't see giving them any more money though. It seems like a company that had good ideas then got too big and is being run by people that have absolutely no idea how anything business related works.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Infinitum posted:

Christ why the gently caress are they airing their dirty laundry in public via a youtube ep.

Why do people video themselves trying to arrest cops while shouting about the magna carta

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Stationfall just arrived. This looks absolutely loving madcap. Component quality seems nice, except for some duplicate/missing pages in the Character Dossier.

I don't think I've ever seen this many ziploc plastic baggies in my life. ~50. That's new to me.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Infinitum posted:

the CEO is a quiverful libertarian that got rich by being an early crypto enthusiast and hates OSHA and healthcare, it's a pretty short jump imo

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I have never seen the word quiverful outside the context of boardgame people. I don't like that I know that that's a thing.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I forgot I backed frosthaven. It came today. The box was so big and heavy I was surprised it was a boardgames. Legitthe heaviest and biggest game I have ever received. I think if you buy it in a store you would need a cart if you are not parked close. I have not brought it upstairs yet because it is so heavy, haha.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

GrandpaPants posted:

I have never seen the word quiverful outside the context of boardgame people. I don't like that I know that that's a thing.

Watch "Our Father" on Netflix. That's got some good stuff about the links between quiverfull and the white supremacy end of evangelical fundamentalism.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

It's cause Tom Vassel is a weirdo

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

If I had a dollar for every quiverfull boardgame weirdo I knew of, I'd only have 2 bucks, but it's weird it's happened twice.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
This company is so loving unprofessional.

Good luck getting your poo poo when the company can’t manage to scale up on a good day and now risks massive PR issues and potential lawsuits because they possibly (most likely) ignored serious assault allegations.

They should have to list this poo poo in their kickstarters.

EDIT: What’s next, CITES violations?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 22, 2023

NocnaShada
Nov 10, 2015
Anyone on the Homeworld board game train?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

NocnaShada posted:

This is...not Homeworlds, I assume, the awesome abstract using those translucent plastic pyramids?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

NocnaShada posted:

I can't look at it without getting angry about Modiphius releasing a Homeworld RPG with no rules for space combat.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

CitizenKeen posted:

I can't look at it without getting angry about Modiphius releasing a Homeworld RPG with no rules for space combat.

That move makes more sense now that they've released the boardgame.

It's still infuriating, though.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Did I miss in this thread that the Lords Of Vegas Kickstarter is back up again?

Dunno if I'll back it or not, definitely don't believe they will make December 2023 delivery.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Quixotic1 posted:

Did I miss in this thread that the Lords Of Vegas Kickstarter is back up again?

Dunno if I'll back it or not, definitely don't believe they will make December 2023 delivery.

I don't think it has been mentioned yet. I hit the remind me flag, as I do intend to back it before it ends. Not sure what level yet though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

And again the dumb fucks aren't allowing $1 pledges for access to the pledge manager, because they are in fact dumb fucks.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Turns out Wyrmwood’s CEO was told in 2020 that the alleged SA happened in their shop even though one of their big points in the video was that they had no idea. Dumb bro company continues to dumb, bro. It’s cool, we can just amend it to the very last page of a word doc attached to the video.

Meanwhile redditors continue to be the absolute worst people on the face of the earth and cannot accept that the company made a single mistake in how they handled the situation.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Bodanarko posted:

Turns out Wyrmwood’s CEO was told in 2020 that the alleged SA happened in their shop even though one of their big points in the video was that they had no idea. Dumb bro company continues to dumb, bro. It’s cool, we can just amend it to the very last page of a word doc attached to the video.

Meanwhile redditors continue to be the absolute worst people on the face of the earth and cannot accept that the company made a single mistake in how they handled the situation.

I’m loving the folks who say “yeah, firing the accused and the accuser is totally fine, they were both causing drama and you can’t have that in the shop”. What in the actual gently caress.

TenTimesLessByOne
Aug 15, 2022

NocnaShada posted:

I'm happy to be in for a dollar, and see what the end state is. The PC game has the best ship designs around, and I love to see handfuls of minis of them.

The stretch goals have been almost completely generic with more copies of existing ships and new cards that feel like base content. Just an excuse to have an update every 1-2 days. Turanic Raiders seem to be coming, which is nice, and Kadeshi could be a big finish reveal. I wish they had framed the campaign around the final product instead of dribbling it out.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bodanarko posted:

Obviously, the person/corp who makes a cool thing that one likes cannot possibly be uncool for unrelated reasons.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The word "misandrists" was thrown around in at least a few comments.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I’ve seen a few more folks step out and talking about what a shitshow the company is and that they’re cancelling orders, so that’s something.

Absolutely hilarious that they took down the video and put out a statement saying that “on advice of council we won’t make any further public comments”. I imagined Doug had to be tied up and gagged while that was typed out.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Aeon Trespass Odyssey Trip Report
Played all of Cycle 1 of Aeon Trespass Odyssey over 4 days last week. Took about 40 hours. 2 Cycles remain in the current set, another 2 are coming when the second half of the kickstarter delivers.

Thumbs way up with a few disclaimers.

Aeon Trespass Odyssey is a mixture of a complex boss battler with a tile based exploration game that integrates an intricate technology tree. The setting is mythological ancient Greece, specifically the island of Crete for Cycle 1, a barely understood disaster of some kind has slain all the gods, giant monsters called Primordials stalk the land and the only thing standing in their way is a city sized ship called the Argo, its complement of giants called Titans and their pilots the Argonauts. The background is basically Neon Genesis Evangelion mashed up with Mythological Greece, the gameplay a remix of Kingdom Death: Monster, 7th Continent and UFO Enemy Unknown. It’s wild.

The first thing that hits you is the box. Legitimately the biggest boardgame box in my collection, all white with only the games logo in UV highlighted white, it’s an interesting statement for those who put it side by side with Kingdom Death. Inside it’s crammed with giant minis, cardboard tokens, a battle board and over two thousand cards. This is actually the first major issue with the game. The packing is well done, but the inset organiser is inadequate to the job of sorting cards for you, assisting you during play or critically putting the game away mid Cycle. The difficulty of dismantling and repacking the game spurred us on to completing the first Cycle in one multi-day play session rather than facing into tearing down and setting up again.
Components are otherwise good to great quality, the minis drip character and all the cards are evocatively designed and readable.

In gameplay terms, the game has two main modes, the exploration phase where you move around a series of map tiles exploring the area you are currently in and the battle phase where your team of four titans takes on a Primordial. You have up to 80 days to complete cycle 1. Each day you move onto a tile, revealing it if it's unexplored. Symbols on the tiles can reward you with Progress tokens (which represents you advancing your plans), Doom (which represents the Primordials), new Titans, cities to visit or story events. You also resolve two stacks of exploration cards which typically grant you mortal resources and occasionally result in negative stuff. The main negative effect is the pursuit by a dangerous creature which triggers a battle if it reaches you.
During the exploration phase you also resolve story events which you trigger by finding story nodes on map tiles, these are randomly rolled, can progress your argonauts memories and also unfold the current story of the setting. You will be faced with choices to make, tests to undertake and ultimately rewards to gain. What’s nice about these is they indicate in them the rough result of making the choice, some games are guilty of making you choose, then telling you what will be tested, which can be frustrating.
On specific days on the timeline you will also unlock new structural and weapon technologies which comprise a large tech tree. Each technology is represented by a card that lists its requirements on one side and rewards on the other. Structural technologies mostly help out during the exploration phase and grant the Argo new abilities, while weapon technologies outfit your Titans with new weapons, armour and gear. Crafting this gear takes both mortal resources you gather on the map and Primordial resources you wrest from the bodies of Primordials. Very satisfying feeling of progression from making new gear. The gear is an interesting mix of flat upgrades in terms of power and problem solving equipment that let you handle the unique aspects of the enemy Primodials. Rather than one best set of gear, you will tend to build a different set to handle each enemy Primordial. Managing the pursuit, avoiding doom and getting progress and story nodes are the vital elements of this phase.

Argonauts also gain up to two Memnos cards that represent their memories. They have three tiers of unlocked abilities and some stat bonuses. They also have three traits, when you hit a story node that has a trait that matches you gain a node, gain ten to fully resolve your memory and discover your Argonauts ultimate fate. The abilities are pretty potent, so well worth paying attention to. You can also gain Fated Memnos cards that give a stat penalty and a drawback and have 3 nodes from some negative events, complete these for another strong ability.

Periodically on the timeline you’ll have a battle. Battles are the second major pillar of the game, complex, challenging and operating on the designers inverted combat model where the combat gets more dangerous as time goes on. Your characters possesses a triskelion which records three stats, Rage, Fate and Danger between 0 and 9. Every time you attack, you increase your Rage which unlocks new abilities on your Titans Kratos table. Fate can be increased to reroll dice or fuel abilities and tends to increase the effects of Primordial attacks on you as it gets higher, Danger represents damage, after taking Danger from a Primordial, you draw a Trauma card based on how high your Danger is, with 9 or over drawing you an Obol, which begins as a 50% chance of death, however higher Danger scores also unlock more powerful Argonaut and Titan abilities. Additionally some Trauma cards are positive, including counterattacks and feints which disrupt the Primordials AI. Generally go over 9 on any of those stats and bad things happen, but you get advantages from increasing them so its a dance along a razor’s edge.
Titans are also equipped with up to two hands worth of weapons, a piece of armor and 2 other pieces of equipment.
So first thing that happens is the Primordial takes a turn, each Primordial has a deck of 6 level 1 AI cards and 6 level 1 BP (body part) cards. On a Primordial's turn they draw and resolve an AI card. They have procedural targeting conditions and generally move the Primordial to attack a Titan, then resolve some after effects. Each attack generally states how many dice the Titan must roll to defend themselves and every undefended attack causes the Titan to gain some Danger, if the Titan gains Danger, they draw a Trauma card. BP cards represent the Primordials Body Part. When you hit a Primordial with an attack you draw and reveal a BP card. These cards have an AT (Aeon Trespass) value that you need to reach with your damage dice to break. They also tend to have reactions on their text. Instincts always trigger, Fails trigger on a failed damage roll, Wounds on a successful damage roll and Criticals trigger if you deal a critical wound. However with the inverted combat model, when you wound a Primordial you place its BP card in the wound stack, then replace the BP card with one from the next level stack and remove a random AI card of the lowest level and replace it with an AI card of the next level. Break a BP 1 and a BP 2 and AI 2 go into their respective decks. The higher level BP cards have higher AT scores and nastier reactions, but also bigger rewards for breaking them, the higher level AI cards are just significantly meaner. Ten wounds kills the Primordial and you get Primordial resources based on the broken BP locations.
Then it's the Titans turn, each Titan has a Move and an Attack. Moving works as you think, but only cardinal directions. When you attack you roll a number of d10s as stated on your weapon with each hit generating a certain number of custom d6 for your attempt to break the Primordial BP card you draw. One of your attack dice is a different colour, roll a 10 on that one and your attack can critically hit. Armor either helps you evade Primordial attacks or block Danger with soak rolls. Other equipment tends to either enhance your abilities or help you avoid/mitigate the Primordials gimmicks. After your attack you can place tokens in what is called the Kratos pool, the tokens you put in are based on your Titans Kratos table, whose abilities unlock as Rage increases and your equipment. So the more you attack, the more powerful your attacks become. The most common tokens at the start are Opening tokens which give the next Titan to attack +1 to hit per token and the Break tokens which convert potential hit symbols on the d6s to actual hits. This makes teamwork and timing of Titan turns important. We often had a Titan equipped with a weapon with the Opening trait, who puts extra Opening tokens in the pool go first to prime things for a less accurate but harder hitting Titan.

So there is tons going on in the game. Both main modes of play are challenging in their own ways, but good play always feels rewarded. The battles are very tense, but when you figure out the mechanics, you feel like you’ve solved a challenging tactical puzzle. There is definitely RNG in the battle and in your pursuit over the map, but you increasingly get tools to help manage it, particularly as you are running out of time.

Ups:
Storyline is genuinely well written, not super complex but a cut above most boardgaming fare with some cool lore hinted at and a solid core story and theming. The light hearted R&R adventures provide a bit of a pressure valve to the tension of the rest of the game and some actual laughs.
Combat is difficult and RNG can get you, but the more you study the game, the more you can shave the odds in your favour. It encourages careful decision making and punishes slovenly play, but skill and mastery matters. It’s also always tense as level 3 AI cards can wreck you.
Technology tree is as fun as in any X-Com alike. New tricks and gear is always satisfying to dig into.
Game is a challenge and winning the last fight and winning the cycle felt very satisfying.
At least one neat puzzle in the text. Felt very smart when I figured it out with a few days to go.

Downs
Box organisation is a war crime. The minis have decent storage but the two thousand cards and eighty map tiles have no mid play storage solution. One of the reasons we pressed on and finished the first Cycle in a single four day session was that the thought of disassembling it and putting it back together was too depressing to contemplate. If you can’t leave it out until you finish, consider an insert organiser.
You randomly roll what story you get at each node, which means you can start stories and then not get to finish them because you can’t roll the right result. One technology lets you reroll but it’d be better if it just let you pick a story you’ve already started.
You printed your record sheets, now prepare to write down your resources changing 80 times over the course of a cycle. There is an app but I literally rubbed a hole in the record sheet adding and subtracting resources.

Marmite
The best rewards from Primordial fights are locked behind critically wounding the right BP card, so RNG is a factor there and can drive you a bit mad when you just can’t roll a critical to hit that Level 3 BP card.
Argonauts don’t die much, but Titans die fairly easily, which is fine as they are mostly replaceable, but sometimes get unique things you are very fond of. There is a mechanic for redoing a battle, but it adds to playtime.
Not an easy game at all, not for people not paying attention in fights, it demands your best effort.

Hints and Tips.
Always try and move along new tiles, more rewards, story nodes and progress counters are all there and because it's an island you can always circle back a little further out.
Positioning on the battle map is everything in Cycle 1, the Primordials mostly ignore terrain which can make it seem unimportant, but it's critical to avoid getting got as Titans.
Study the Primoridials AI/BP cards. They gain abilities as they level and some raw numbers increase, but their AI/BP cards don’t change. Every fight you can use to discern patterns of their behaviour, who they target, what conditions they inflict, how they move. When you suss that out, the unbeatable can become counterable. Cycle 2, I’m making notes in a playbook about who they target.
Some of the best gear/advantages is locked behind completing stories, make an effort to get to as many story nodes as possible.
Gear is the counter/safety net to a lot of seemingly overpowered Primordial offence, study them carefully in context.

Conclusion: A brilliant, difficult game, well worth the effort.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm glad to hear they delivered a compelling end product. I found their inverted combat paradigm interesting back when their campaign launched, I'm happy to hear it worked out.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HidaO-Win posted:

Aeon Trespass Odyssey Trip Report

Agree with pretty much everything you said. I actually think I like KD:M more overall, just because the exploration/gathering/etc phase feels kind of clunky to me in comparison, and isn't really the draw for me, I just want to get to the next fight. But I'm also not all the way through cycle 1 yet. But the escalating combat stuff in Aeon is neat, and I like how you have the bonuses to leave behind for the next player. Some of the fights are really cool.

Also completely agree with you on the box organization being kind of a nightmare! I might need to make some homemade dividers or something. When it's like "obtain <whatever gear piece>" I know I'll be picking through all those little cards for a bit. I have been using the app which makes the record sheets a little less daunting to deal with at least. The app is quite well done.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'm about 75% of the way through Cycle 1 but took a break to get the C1 stuff painted up. I never played KD: M so a lot of this stuff is completely new to me and has blown me away. Rules wise there's a lot going on and I've definitely made some parts easier and some harder due to missing something but the rule book is pretty good.

I'd say use the app, its a lot easier to keep track of things. I use a folder for the tech and items I can build which helps I also got this but it's super expensive: https://fancybutfunctional.com/products/aeon-trespass-odessy-premium-box-organizer

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Ooo, that's a nice organizer, I might have to consider it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
We're still early so maybe I'm just confused but as far as I know you shouldn't ever be in the position of not finishing the adventure storylines because you didn't roll the right result. Each "hub" mandates an "alpha" beginning adventure, then you roll random (afaik individual) adventures inside that hub a few times, then you have a mandatory "omega" ending adventure. You don't roll for either the alpha or the omega. It does seem like it might be possible not to get to the omega because the hubs seem to shift based on other factors (like time), but that's not the random roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

malkav11 posted:

We're still early so maybe I'm just confused but as far as I know you shouldn't ever be in the position of not finishing the adventure storylines because you didn't roll the right result. Each "hub" mandates an "alpha" beginning adventure, then you roll random (afaik individual) adventures inside that hub a few times, then you have a mandatory "omega" ending adventure. You don't roll for either the alpha or the omega. It does seem like it might be possible not to get to the omega because the hubs seem to shift based on other factors (like time), but that's not the random roll.

you do roll to select what adventure you're picking from though, thats where the random roll can gently caress you. its def possible to have progress on some adventures but not finish them. also depends on how many adventure triggers you get from the map