Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
God drat that entire thread is pure gold
https://twitter.com/quendergeer/status/1628168216248721412
https://twitter.com/bootstrap9000/status/1628225825295171585

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Blair is back on his ID card poo poo

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1628306843905785859?t=vkkBlZL2AfjTFLika_QHEg&s=19

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Yes, this is almost certainly Keiths plan once he gets elected. "Oh no!" he will say, "we can't roll back that regressive voter ID law that the tories implemented, we will just have to make sure everyone has a state sponsored ID card instead!". Followed on by police being given the power to check your papers anytime they want.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

He's already said he doesn't want to get rid of voter ID

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ex post facho posted:

thanks, that's absolutely loving insane and lmao what in the goddamn gently caress England and Wales

You just don't want entrepreneurs to grow the economy though finding innovative ways to generate profit, such as dumping human piss and poo poo in people's drinking water.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Just some more bad apples nothing to see here

https://twitter.com/RiaChatter/status/1628039423404171264?t=xX-pYPlIpn9ksjgpUKzDhw&s=19
https://twitter.com/RiaChatter/status/1628047151329685511?t=K9WQrWofNPQDMmmuRAxFsw&s=19

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

I saw the combination of Tony Blair and the word Hague and got my hopes up for a split second.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
digital aids

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

tristeham posted:

digital aids

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Can't believe there are so many Jeremy Corbyn supporters in the Met

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Reminder that because water companies have no incentive to fix any of the infrastructure a massive amount of water is lost to leaks on top of rivers being filled with poo poo

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/feb/22/england-one-dry-spell-away-return-severe-drought?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol he's going to get absolutely hammered on lying constantly at the next election

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1628367992244379648?t=JpRaX_6qosctLAzn4RkXaA&s=19

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Dravs posted:

Yes, this is almost certainly Keiths plan once he gets elected. "Oh no!" he will say, "we can't roll back that regressive voter ID law that the tories implemented, we will just have to make sure everyone has a state sponsored ID card instead!". Followed on by police being given the power to check your papers anytime they want.

Finally, the true wallet inspections can begin

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

namesake posted:

UNISON officially incompetent and the worst union in health, contender for worst union in the UK.

Not while USDAW exists it isn’t

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol at how psycho these letters are over a mild editorial about Corbyn but also this guy was in Epstein's travel log

https://twitter.com/simonmontefiore/status/1628314001967927296?t=14uY63O2tlrjOTBtRqfgQw&s=19

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I know this is small potatoes compared to everything else going on over on the Old Sod, but has something happened to the Royal Mail?

A few years ago, packages to and from my family in Wales would arrive without a hitch. Now, it's always some weeks' or months' long delay or another. I went to check on a package and I see there was a cyber attack?

And so packages to Canada were suspended? That seems unusually bad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Got privatised a few years ago and it's starting to die due to them extracting as much money as they can

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

I know this is small potatoes compared to everything else going on over on the Old Sod, but has something happened to the Royal Mail?

A few years ago, packages to and from my family in Wales would arrive without a hitch. Now, it's always some weeks' or months' long delay or another. I went to check on a package and I see there was a cyber attack?

Basically the bit that allows them to do customs checks/charges/information sharing got ransomwared and it looks like they didn't pony up.

Thus GB becomes a little more disconnected from the rest of the world.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

So Royal Mail was attacked by some Russian hacker group who held them up for a large (but not actually that large for a company their size, & it started a lot lower & every time they refused to pay/tried to delay it went up until it got to about £80m) sum of money & then RM refused to pay it, pointing at some stupid accounting trick to claim they make no money. And now you can't send things abroad lol. Well, you can, with other couriers. Including Parcel Force despite it being owned by Royal Mail. Total loving shambles.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jose posted:

Got privatised a few years ago and it's starting to die due to them extracting as much money as they can

It was incredible when some news presenter tried to pin a CWU worker as a greedy public sector worker and he just replied "Royal Mail got privatised"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Jose posted:

I know I'm naive but the idea of privatizing a Royal institution rubs me the wrong way on a very fundamental level. It's right there in the name that it belongs to the nation.

Well, that sucks. I liked being able to send mail back and forth easily, now this is another obstacle to staying in touch.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
s scumbag montefiore

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Frosted Flake posted:

I know I'm naive but the idea of privatizing a Royal institution rubs me the wrong way on a very fundamental level. It's right there in the name that it belongs to the nation.

Well, that sucks. I liked being able to send mail back and forth easily, now this is another obstacle to staying in touch.

Thatcher thought the same way, she was horrified at the idea of privatising anything with the queen's face on it. Even rail privatisation was a step too far for her and needed to be done by Major, we can thank Vince Cable for Royal Mail being sold.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
technically it's king charlie's property and thus no one wants it.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

So Royal Mail was attacked by some Russian hacker group who held them up for a large (but not actually that large for a company their size, & it started a lot lower & every time they refused to pay/tried to delay it went up until it got to about £80m) sum of money & then RM refused to pay it, pointing at some stupid accounting trick to claim they make no money. And now you can't send things abroad lol. Well, you can, with other couriers. Including Parcel Force despite it being owned by Royal Mail. Total loving shambles.

This is loving amazing. Trying to trick a hacker group like you do the HMRC, such a perfect encapsulation of the modern-day capitalist.

Do you have a link to any more details?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

notaspy posted:

Basically the bit that allows them to do customs checks/charges/information sharing got ransomwared and it looks like they didn't pony up.

Thus GB becomes a little more disconnected from the rest of the world.

Also their head of cyber security was scabbing when it happened

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

happyhippy posted:

England and Wales are the ONLY two countries in the world who have fully privatized their water and sewerage.
NI and Scotland get to control their own.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/nov/30/more-than-70-per-cent-english-water-industry-foreign-ownership

70% of English water owned by foreign investment funds too.

Wessex Water, which covers the whole southwest of England, was at one time part of the Enron group.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

honestly I don’t get the ID card hate, the rest of the EU has them + a unique personal number (like NI number but for more than taxes, all government dealings), it works remarkably well at having a joined up government (both national and local) who eg knows when you move house and you don’t need to get in touch with 20 different government agencies that you’ve forgot even exist. same thing with doing poo poo online, it just works.

obviously with the UK being the UK they’d piss up a few tens of billions up the wall for a system that doesn’t work except for cracking down on immigrants and the poors, but that’s a UK being shite problem, not an ID cards and joined up government being bad problem

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

There is nothing in the world that Blairites like more than spiteful authoritarianism for no good reason. If people want to oppose them for equally pointless and spiteful reasons, then it's only fair, in my opinion.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

honestly I don’t get the ID card hate, the rest of the EU has them + a unique personal number (like NI number but for more than taxes, all government dealings), it works remarkably well at having a joined up government (both national and local) who eg knows when you move house and you don’t need to get in touch with 20 different government agencies that you’ve forgot even exist. same thing with doing poo poo online, it just works.

obviously with the UK being the UK they’d piss up a few tens of billions up the wall for a system that doesn’t work except for cracking down on immigrants and the poors, but that’s a UK being shite problem, not an ID cards and joined up government being bad problem

The concern has always been with (1) the big database that it would be connected to, that would inevitably be made and stewarded by the worst shits alive (Autonomy were up for the tender when it was Blair's pet project) and would also inevitably get hacked/ransomed, and (2) this is the UK so you have to operate on the assumption that anything like this that gets built will be at the fingertips of Norsefire after a couple of elections and (3) it will just be used to extend already overreaching police powers.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ID cards with rfid would solve the obvious issue with 15 minute cities with how do you work out how far someone has gone before your shoot them

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol now that he's confirmed Corbyn is definitely not standing for labour it's safe to start asking this

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1628664304000966657?t=ojbWVqBH5-qr852pwIxqaA&s=19

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

The party pushing it also spent years trying to give the police the power to lock people up for months without even charging them with any crime https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_Act_2006#Extending_the_period_of_detention_without_charge

The Labour right are still mad about not being able to pass that so I assume they will try again if they get into power, although the rest of the political establishment has moved on and doesn't care about 'terrorism' at all any more.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

The British government are notorious and have been for my lifetime for leaving information on a train or at a bus stop. I don't really want all my ID card info being left on the train and stolen

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Blair pushing ID, means someone is paying Blair to push ID. Fucker wouldn't do anything for free
As said, its would be a massive database full of legit data to sell onto other 'interested' parties.
The UK has sold off its water, power, sewerage, trains, etc, to foreign investment firms (for a promise of a board seat or nepo-kid placement)
I would be surprised if this wasn't sold off within the first minute.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
We regret to inform you that the id cards have now been privatised. Please pay £200 and you'll get your card in 8 weeks maybe

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

kieth responding well when questioned on the fact he lied to get elected leader. lol at now having to use missions because he's made pledges so toxic

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1628664304000966657?s=20

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i think ID cards fit in the brain of all these neoliberal think tanks as the solution and natural endpoint for the atomisation of society they’ve presided over, so you can just add all sorts of boondoggle means testing poo poo using it for benefits, something you legally have to have on you at all times, even at a protest, and have to present to a copper under penalty of arrest, or even as a oyster card

it’s the politics holy grail, and worth £££

it’s obviously not going to be a normal id card just for id like in poland etc

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the gently caress is a mission? sounds like a warhammer 40k thing or the spanish inquisition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Jose posted:

Lol now that he's confirmed Corbyn is definitely not standing for labour it's safe to start asking this

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1628664304000966657?t=ojbWVqBH5-qr852pwIxqaA&s=19

Jose posted:

kieth responding well when questioned on the fact he lied to get elected leader. lol at now having to use missions because he's made pledges so toxic

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1628664304000966657?s=20

:thunk: