Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

jokes posted:

I mean, how much better performance loving with VRAM and the swapfile stuff can you get on SteamOS?

Varies from game to game. On some I can up from med to high settings with higher frame rates. Other games it just helps with a consistent frame rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The discord is currently absorbing all of my deck shipping angst

It's fun :D

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Barreft posted:

Absolutely do it. Join the Deck discord everything is there for everyone

srsly do it there's no mods no masters. also Octopath 2 just leaked on Switch. Been having fun with it on the Deck

All of us basically dealt with the queue so we know how painful the wait is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

pseudorandom name posted:

A half hour isn't short, especially when it should be a couple paragraphs of text that you can read in five minutes.

Honestly, follow his instructions to install it, click on "Recommended settings", do the BIOS thing for the vram, and then, if you want, watch his explanation.

Unlike other installers, most of the recommended settings are just a binary choice, where the stock deck option is "this thing is off/doing it inefficiently" and the Cryo option is "turn this thing on/make it run efficiently".

I know with some installers, I don't go the recommended route because I want to customize everything, but for this, the recc'd settings really are the best ones for the deck.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So, I got Mario 64 Plus working on my Deck (which owns) but I'm annoyed that Decky Loader still isn't working for me. I ran the install again (via Curl) and this time I paid attention to what it was actually doing. I did a reboot, have verified that plugin_loader.service is still located in /etc/systemd/system/ where it's supposed to be, and yet the menu still doesn't have a Plugins section. I've got Notifications, Friends, Quick Settings, Performance, and Help, same as before. Why isn't my Deck actually showing me the plugin loader I installed?

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't actually install any plugins, just ran the Decky install. Should that matter?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The discord is currently absorbing all of my deck shipping angst

lol wait until you hit fedex tracking. mine was sitting in a warehouse for 3 days (similar to you payed late friday) but it wasn't and teleported to the west coast from IL.

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 22, 2023

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh goddammit

yup that's almost definitely my problem

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Been doing a bunch of docked play and I think setting the output resolution to 1080p, running the game at 720p+FSR and then letting my TV's upscaling figure out the rest has given some pretty decent results. It helps that 30fps is less jarring on a TV than it is on the Deck's screen.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

loquacius posted:

So, I got Mario 64 Plus working on my Deck (which owns)

Was this hard to setup? Really wouldn't mind revisiting Mario 64 in higher res and with good controls.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

njsykora posted:

Been doing a bunch of docked play and I think setting the output resolution to 1080p, running the game at 720p+FSR and then letting my TV's upscaling figure out the rest has given some pretty decent results. It helps that 30fps is less jarring on a TV than it is on the Deck's screen.

FSR is magic

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Was this hard to setup? Really wouldn't mind revisiting Mario 64 in higher res and with good controls.

It wasn't. Basically you just compile it on your PC as normal (easy), copy the install directory to your Deck, add it as a non-Steam game, tell it to use Proton 7, open the launcher, and use that to tell it to use OpenGL instead of DX11. Bing bang boom

loquacius fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 22, 2023

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

loquacius posted:

Oh goddammit

yup that's almost definitely my problem

CONFIRMED. Anyone else having this problem, this guide worked:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/xjmal2/psa_for_anyone_using_syncthing_and_decky_at_the/

Now have Decky installed :toot:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

loquacius posted:

Get vibrantDeck immediately

e: and get on discord if you arent already

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Barreft posted:

Get vibrantDeck immediately

e: and get on discord if you arent already

Oh yeah, this was the main reason I tried to get Decky working before, and SteamGridDB is the reason I needed to get it working tonight (Mario 64 Plus doesn't have any art!)

I absolutely should be on the Discord, I'm sure this would have been ironed out sooner if I were

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The invite link in the OP seems to be expired???

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VibrantDeck is great. The screen is the worst part of the Deck imo and bringing a little color to it helps a lot even if it impacts accuracy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

loquacius posted:

The invite link in the OP seems to be expired???

https://discord.gg/QC5d8nqM

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

:tipshat:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

History Comes Inside! posted:

Just install Mario 64 plus for free to tick the latter one off, the windows version running with proton works great.
Yeah, there's a PC port of SM64 that probably has more features and QoL than the official version on 3DAS, and will run better on the Deck to boot.

loquacius posted:

The one thing I'm worried about with Galaxy in Dolphin is parts where it expects you to be able to use a Wiimote, but my two-year-old did not care for Galaxy when I tried it (I think she thought the intro was too scary and never recovered) so that one might be moot. Already have Gamecube Sunshine working on my PC and will get it onto my Deck when I have the opportunity, and I didn't know Mario 64 Plus was a thing but I'm into it. Thanks :toot:
Advantage to emulating Sunshine: Dolphin supports analog triggers like the GameCube had (and the Deck has), the Switch doesn't. Sunshine utilizes the Cube's analog triggers.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dammit Jeff Minter's awesome new shooter Akka Arrh doesn't render properly on the Deck...

Wahhh I wanna play this on the go.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Necrothatcher posted:

Dammit Jeff Minter's awesome new shooter Akka Arrh doesn't render properly on the Deck...

Wahhh I wanna play this on the go.

Literally added this to my wishlist about 5 minutes ago with the intention of looking into how it runs on Deck.

This is based on absolutely nothing but I bet he will be quite keen to fix that and get it going smoothly.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That seems like a major oversight. If anyone would be into getting a game running into lower-end hardware it would be Minter.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

At the moment it's outright unplayable as the play surface renders as a flat white space. Tried a few Proton versions and it's the same issue.

It actually took me about five minutes of trying to figure out what was going on and thinking I was just misunderstanding things before I checked some footage on YouTube.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 22, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

That seems like a major oversight. If anyone would be into getting a game running into lower-end hardware it would be Minter.
They write their own engines and can't account for every weird environment you throw them at, so sometimes Llamasoft games get a little screwy on wine or, thinking about Polybius, if you tried to run it under revive or something. Usually that stuff gets fixed but its a two man operation over there.

Idk if they have a deck but Minter is, extremely on twitter, so tweet at him about it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Idk if they have a deck but Minter is, extremely on twitter, so tweet at him about it.

Llamasoft seem aware of the problem and are trying to fix it (https://retroresolve.com/akka-arrh-on-steam-deck-wheres-our-review/) so hopefully a patch is incoming.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Or PM him, he’s a goon.

(Or more accurately has an account here, and made a handful of posts what probably was a decade plus ago)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

loquacius posted:

CONFIRMED. Anyone else having this problem, this guide worked:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/xjmal2/psa_for_anyone_using_syncthing_and_decky_at_the/

i tried to install decky once. I presumed that it was a port issue, but i don't have syncthing. i don't know what would be taking up the port. is there a way to do this the other way around, ie change decky's port?

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This poo poo loving sucks.

Nothing works, Bluetooth headphones won’t connect. One of my controllers will endlessly disconnect/reconnect wirelessly. One does connect but drops out frequent.

I thought this was going to be a more refined experience not a bullshit portal Linux machine for tinkerering around in menus and trying to get things working

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

Mescal posted:

i tried to install decky once. I presumed that it was a port issue, but i don't have syncthing. i don't know what would be taking up the port. is there a way to do this the other way around, ie change decky's port?

Just hazarding a guess because of the port Decky is using but I think it would require all the plugins to expect Decky to be on that port as well.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mescal posted:

Yeah, that would probably be a lot more complex because of all the other software expecting a certain configuration. There could also be any number of issues preventing Decky from working properly, but a good way to tell if something's using the port is by running

lsof -i :8080

in terminal.

If you're using a preview build of the OS (or whatever the non-stable one is called) I've heard that can mess with it sometimes too.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Konar posted:

This poo poo loving sucks.

Nothing works, Bluetooth headphones won’t connect. One of my controllers will endlessly disconnect/reconnect wirelessly. One does connect but drops out frequent.

I thought this was going to be a more refined experience not a bullshit portal Linux machine for tinkerering around in menus and trying to get things working

What headphones, and what controller? Stuff did mostly work OOTB for me, but I'm using an XBox Series controller over BT and I had that disconnect loop problem until I updated its firmware. You might have to do the same thing with the headphones.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

99% of the time, if someone is complaining about a device's implementation of Bluetooth, my eyes glaze over because I have never found Bluetooth to be particularly intuitive/reliable outside of a few devices' implementations.

Devices I've found that have good/reliable bluetooth functionality:
-Microsoft Surface products
-Apple devices, particularly communicating with other Apple devices
-Logitech M+KBs, strangely

Every single other bluetooth adapter, connection, or device loving sucks. The Deck's is "fine", I guess.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bluetooth sucks always and forever

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So say we all

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

:hai:

Using Bluetooth is level one of suck. Trying to develop with Bluetooth is a thousand times worse.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you're using the Deck docked, it's either BT, or you snake a wire across your living room. I guess you could get one of them wi-fi dongles, but those aren't common

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

It sucks to hear but long-rear end cables are the easiest solution to most Bluetooth issues.

Wiimotes are 2006-era Bluetooth and those work really well, all things considering.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I finally gave in and finally just switched my batocera microsd to emudeck and drat this shits easy. Luckily it uses the same file structure and everything. Transfer saves and what not. Have my beautiful gyro in botw. lol at nintendo dmca’s on mario boxart

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Wiimotes are 2006-era Bluetooth and those work really well, all things considering.

The only time Bluetooth ever works consistently, ever, is when it’s between items that were specifically and deliberately designed to be used together. And even then it can be spotty.

I mean literally “this exact piece of equipment was specifically and painstakingly designed to connect to this exact other piece of equipment” and that’s it, as soon as you’re trying to do anything more exotic than that it’s an absolute coin toss at best and a minefield at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Yes to all but also bluetooth ftw. pining for wires is insanity. Hell, remember when bluetooth crap went around your neck and your neck could break the connection, Terrible. Thank g*d for earbud era bluetooth, how did they do it