Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

hit the space brakes mr data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Tiberius Christ posted:

hit the space brakes mr data

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Based on elapsed times started on screen (and possible planetary positions), Warp 0.5 in TMP tracks pretty close with 0.5c.

Warp scales logarithmically

and uh inconsistently

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

...man, it would be cool if there was an app or program the writers could use that they could plug in "how long it takes to get there" ( because that's the important part in the drama ) and have the program spit out how far away the thing should be.

With special functions of "give it everything you got" and "divert all power from life support to engines" settings.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Twincityhacker posted:

...man, it would be cool if there was an app or program the writers could use that they could plug in "how long it takes to get there" ( because that's the important part in the drama ) and have the program spit out how far away the thing should be.

With special functions of "give it everything you got" and "divert all power from life support to engines" settings.

"Q sticks his dick into the antimatter flow regulators"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Twincityhacker posted:

Yeah but then what would we have to bitch about

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Twincityhacker posted:

lol even warp 10 in TOS is really slow compared to warp 9.99 and it's 1,000 times the speed of light

1000c vs 7912c

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Prurient Squid posted:

A Star Trek game called "Belay that order!"

That's as far as I've got.

My pitch for a Star Trekky jRPG is your protagonist waking up missing memory, so you wander around confused and lost, and eventually can like go on an adventure, save lives, fight monsters, find magic crystals, stop bad guy etc. Normal jRPG stuff, roll credits... But

The twist is that you're actually a space scientist from a Treklike culture and are not meant to interfere or even make contact with the natives. Some freak accident causes you to crash or become stranded, and if you put together all the clues, you know to start gathering any debris or relics from the crash and keep them away from the people, while also never being seen or exposed as an alien, or interfering with events or their culture even when it seems morally wrong and in the fake-out game you definitely make moral calls. You get to the end unseen and gathering all the lost debris and tech and manage to make an emergency beacon to get beamed back home. The people on the planet solve their own problems in their own way and are better for it compared to when you intervened.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We see them on a tall ship in Generations and they use a lot of naval terms (such as "belay that order", which refers to a belaying pin" so does Starfleet Academy require cadets to learn marlinespike seamanship like the current US Naval Academy does? They are equally useless to both institutions.

RDM Starfleet Academy would, Berman Starfleet Academy would not, imo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

7912x the speed of light, god dam star trek

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

zoux posted:

Warp scales logarithmically

and uh inconsistently

The TNG warp curve is hilarious because it's sort of a mathematical function until it gets to nine and then they hand drew a roughly exponential curve into the graph in the technical manual

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

T.C. posted:

The TNG warp curve is hilarious because it's sort of a mathematical function until it gets to nine and then they hand drew a roughly exponential curve into the graph in the technical manual

this is apparently the graph from the technical manual lol

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

"Q sticks his dick into the antimatter flow regulators"

Does that make it go faster or slower?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

wesleywillis posted:

Does that make it go faster or slower?

first one, then the other

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

This Youtube video puts warp speed into perspective pretty well. And what's funny is Star Trek is still very conservative with speeds compared to galaxy-spanning shows like Star Wars. The Federation really needs to redo the warp scale again though, all these 9.99... speeds are getting unreasonable.

Skip to 2:30 if you just want to see the side-by-side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSyfpUyzQGU

bull3964 posted:

The big glaring thing there is that thrusters aren't even related to impulse.

Also, they always refer to impulse as if it's a speed but really it should be an acceleration.

In the TNG tech manual, they say they try to limit sublight velocities to 0.25c to keep time dilation manageable. You should be able to reach 0.25c under ANY impulse output, it's just a matter of how long it takes you to get there.

Also funny how there's no forward facing impulse engines, how are they slowing down?

Are they blipping a subspace field into existence to lower the mass of the ship and then slowing down with the thrusters? If so, why even have impulse engines to begin with?
Clearly impulse engines both suck and blow.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

T'Pol is one of my favorite characters now after watching a lot of Enterprise. Ride or die bih taking care of mushbrain Archer for a super long time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You stop at impulse the same way that Eros turned in The Expanse. Don't worry about it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MikeJF posted:

There's a lot of speculation about why they pulled the Cali and Parliament and nobody has any idea what the reason is.

My best guess is that the non-cartoon appearance of the ships hasn't been established yet, and they're not gonna let some rando artist do that in the background. There's going to be meetings and approvals and designers from multiple shows involved to sign off on the photorealistic look.

that would be a very bad outcome, actually - for some reason the STO models for the ships look... well, the Parliament looks bad, and the Cali looks awful. I think someone decided going from cartoon to game meant they could add detail and change the proportions and it's just really really bad.

E: show Cali:

Game Cali:

It's weird, normally their models are really well done. The Cali model used on-screen for the cartoon is pretty high-detail now, you'd have thought they'd use that as a base. (If it ever does come to live-action I would assume that'll be what happens)

When you have the infinite budget and high res graphics of a modern game and still use the 2 Foot Model...

No Dignity posted:

Why is every Bolian in existence a doughy middle aged man?

Why is every doughy middle aged human man a normal sexy Bolian? :colbert:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
lol didn’t they casually go to Warp 13 in All Good Things? Shorthand for the viewer to show it was THE FUTURE I guess

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Minidust posted:

lol didn’t they casually go to Warp 13 in All Good Things? Shorthand for the viewer to show it was THE FUTURE I guess

People have decided that it's either that, or part of a series of bredcrumbs Q was laying out to let Picard know that this was a wrong future, like how the D was all hosed up with all that Pimp My Ride poo poo on it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Knormal posted:

This Youtube video puts warp speed into perspective pretty well. And what's funny is Star Trek is still very conservative with speeds compared to galaxy-spanning shows like Star Wars. The Federation really needs to redo the warp scale again though, all these 9.99... speeds are getting unreasonable.

Skip to 2:30 if you just want to see the side-by-side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSyfpUyzQGU

Clearly impulse engines both suck and blow.

That video's pretty inaccurate to the ships themselves. Like, Voyager can maintain warp 9.975 for ten minutes, it's their flank speed, not their regular speed. They can hold warp 9.75 for 12 hours. And they just arbitrarily decide that the Enterprise-E can maintain 9.985 because let's just scale up from Voyager's inaccurate max speed? Defiant maxes out at Warp 9 under regular circumstances, they hit 9.5 once by taking all their other stuff offline and doing a risky rig, but that's not normal.

It does seem that there's been a decision in New Trek that ships are now an order of magnitude improved, though. Matalis has said that the Titan uses the new warp drive stars effect but other ships (he probably means Eleos) use the TNG warp effect, because there's been a major technology shift and new ships are now much faster and can maintain much faster.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 23, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

People have decided that it's either that, or part of a series of bredcrumbs Q was laying out to let Picard know that this was a wrong future, like how the D was all hosed up with all that Pimp My Ride poo poo on it.

They changed warp scales between tos and tng, maybe they just keep fiddling with it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I was thinking 1701 never went faster than warp 7, but I looked it up and it did go warp 8 during an emergency in one episode.

But like Voyager’s top speed, this was really pushing it, and Scottie complained.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There were a few times aliens did a thing and the TOS enterprise went into the teens, I think.

They hit warp 14 in that which survives due to sabotage and not being able to turn the engines off, but that doesn't seem to have been alien tech, just the ship nearly coming apart.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 23, 2023

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
To be fair, the video does say it's judging ships off their maximum obtainable speed without external influence, indefinitely sustainable speeds isn't something it's looking at.

E-E/Sovereign speeds are problematic because there's never been any on screen acknowledgement of what it can do, so they're stuck with tech manuals and secondary sources which aren't consistent. So they picked a middle ground on the speeds it's been stated to have.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ran across a neat piece of trivia just now. I've mentioned before that Matt Jeffries basically tried to have touchscreens on the TOS Enterprise bridge but couldn't pull it off:

MikeJF posted:

those screens on the consoles in TOS?

They originally weren't meant to be basic screens like that. Matt Jeffries originally planned for those panels to be perfectly black glass which would light up and display things on interacting with them via touching, an effect they'd pull off with transparencies and strong lights behind the panels:

Basically exactly what the LCARS was in TNG. However, the 1960s lights put out enough heat that to get them close enough you could turn on and off parts of individual screens, the transparency melted, so they had to give up and just have what we saw.

They were also planning to have the overhead screens constantly animated and showing data for the captain to see about the station underneath, but union rules required they hire a projectionist per projector so it would have cost too much to have them all going, so they changed them to static images of spacey stuff.

Well I saw an interview with Richard Taylor about set design on TMP, and apparently he, completely independently, also wanted to do touchscreen interfaces on TMP.

quote:

But I wanted to do the bridge controls, the helm etc. out of tactile screens. I had research material that they were starting to make control panels for nuclear power plants and so forth with tactile screens.

Gore: Basically the forerunner of what eventually became iPhone and iPad screens.

Taylor: Yeah exactly. And they were doing that at Lawrence Livermore and so forth. So I brought that in and said “look, they are making screens now so we can have them animate.” They could touch it and the surface would animate different control configurations. Kind of like David Werner’s office desk top in Tron .

Gore: Yeah.

Taylor: Basically, you could animate it, and have all these things slide and move. So visually it would be really great. And we would have done it with rear-projection so we wouldn’t have had to matte it all together. We would have built the console so it would have had rear-projection. It would have been really, really cool for the time.

And Gene said “No, I want switches. I want buttons and toggles.”

So we ended up doing old-school stuff.

And then around the perimeter of the bridge I wanted to make that one continuous screen that changed designs based on what was going on. So the crew could touch it and things would animate. And he said “Nope. I want circular screens there.”

So basically Trek had designers trying to do touchscreen LCARS type interfaces, multiple times from multiple people, from 1967 on, until Okuda finally got it done in TVH.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
LCARS and such is cool, but it really makes me think about the big criticism of touchscreen controls in cars, which is that you can't manipulate them by touch alone, you have to take your eyes off the road and look at the screen. And also the prominence of mechanical keyboards. I think deep down we humans love our tactile feedback, and nothing but smooth touch screens seems like it would have some usability concerns.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Supposedly LCARS screens have a tactile layer and you can feel the buttons under your finger. There's a bit where Tuvok is even able to set one up to be used while blind.

If discovery was better they would've used programmable matter to create dynamic, touchscreen-esque swipable controls that are also fully physical and 3D with depressible buttons and levers and stuff but you can flick from window to window.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
LCARS can actually read your mind and you don't have to touch it. Everyone just touches it because they're all perverts

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would expect they have haptic feedback.

Like how your iphone home button feels like a real button but if you turn it off and then press it you find out it was never a button at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

From the TNG Tech Manual, published in freaking 1991.

quote:

Control/display surfaces are composed of three basic layers. The outermost layer is fabricated from a 2.5 mm tripolymer-coated transparent aluminum wafer into which is imbedded a sensor matrix. This matrix detects tactile input by the operator's fingertips. Also incorporated into this layer is a transducer matrix that provides tactile and auditory feedback to the operator, indicating that a particular control surface address has been activated.

So, yeah, it has haptics. They managed to nail the modern touchscreen display 16 years before the first iPhone.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I enjoy the insanity of the Mass Effect control panels which are holograms projected into the air in front of your face that you control with surgically implanted devices in your hands and fingers which create feedback and also force your fingers/hand/arm to stop to simulate hitting a physical button. My arms would get so tired.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
What Star Trek needs is constant references to a Vulcan stand up commedian that always brings the house down that you never actually see.

fake edit: called Mr. Spouk.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

MikeJF posted:

That video's pretty inaccurate to the ships themselves. Like, Voyager can maintain warp 9.975 for ten minutes, it's their flank speed, not their regular speed. They can hold warp 9.75 for 12 hours. And they just arbitrarily decide that the Enterprise-E can maintain 9.985 because let's just scale up from Voyager's inaccurate max speed? Defiant maxes out at Warp 9 under regular circumstances, they hit 9.5 once by taking all their other stuff offline and doing a risky rig, but that's not normal.

I always take everything this guy says with a massive mountain of salt because he once tried to work out how much things are worth in star trek and used the current cost of a custom made star fleet uniform cosplay outfit as the basis for a lot of it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Supposedly LCARS screens have a tactile layer and you can feel the buttons under your finger. There's a bit where Tuvok is even able to set one up to be used while blind.

I'm not a UX engineer or however you say it but I think there's a serious difference between haptic feedback and being able to feel the contour of an important control under your finger without accidentally pres butan

But I have been thinking for a while now that you could easily retcon the clicky tappy beepy 1701 bridge to being a design reaction to lessons learned in the Disco-era Klingon war. One too many ensigns palm-slapping a touchscreen panel when hauling themselves up off the ground after a disruptor hit and inadvertently venting the entire Astrometrics deck into space. The TNG return to all touchscreens everywhere becoming possible after some bright spark invents the Riker's rear end Interlock.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phy posted:

I'm not a UX engineer or however you say it but I think there's a serious difference between haptic feedback and being able to feel the contour of an important control under your finger without accidentally pres butan

Well yeah I'm pretty sure it's much more advanced than boring old vibratey haptic feedback, given how tuvok was using it I expect it's closer to a degree of physical extrusion of the surface like one of those braille displays, so you can actually feel buttons and feel indicators on them about what they do and they can require a configurable amount pressure that actually depresses it down to activate it. LCARS screens aren't a lovely old iPhone here, they're the good 24th century poo poo.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 23, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even today we have tech that creates a static electricity field above virtual buttons so you can "feel" them.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

bull3964 posted:

Even today we have tech that creates a static electricity field above virtual buttons so you can "feel" them.

Totally. It's called MOLLY.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've said this before but as much as star trek crews get thrown around it's insane that they use touchscreens and have zero safety restraints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

I enjoy the insanity of the Mass Effect control panels which are holograms projected into the air in front of your face that you control with surgically implanted devices in your hands and fingers which create feedback and also force your fingers/hand/arm to stop to simulate hitting a physical button. My arms would get so tired.

But you'd get big beefcake arms like everyone in Mass Effect, including somehow glass bones Joker.

Prurient Squid posted:

What Star Trek needs is constant references to a Vulcan stand up commedian that always brings the house down that you never actually see.

fake edit: called Mr. Spouk.

"Did you catch that Mr. Spouk special on subspace last night? Some really risky stuff about Bajorans but man was it funny."
"Uh... dude..."
"poo poo. Nerys is standing behind me, isn't she?"

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 23, 2023