Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Escobarbarian posted:

Which episode?

If this is directed to me, the whole show is gone. So is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, which is something else we were watching on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just checked and both of those shows are still up in the US (though I can't find the original cut of AD Season 4 anywhere)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah AD getting removed from Netflix was a thing we knew about. In the UK it’s here until March 14th but I think it’s getting removed from the US service earlier?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

The Bear is really loving good though tbh

I can only take so much of a young white professional pulling his hair back and getting quietly intense before going aggro at his coworkers BUT IT GETS RESULTS.

Also, the tomato can/money reveal didn’t make any sense in any possible way.

South Side was very wistful work environment fantasy show but it still felt real in a way The Bear could never.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 23, 2023

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Arist posted:

Just checked and both of those shows are still up in the US (though I can't find the original cut of AD Season 4 anywhere)

Thanks for checking, this is goddamn bizarre. Tried logging out and back in, multiple devices, nothings working.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arist posted:

Did they remove it from the bonus features/ extras tab that no one ever uses?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Over here it’s still in “Trailers & More”

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Over here it’s still in “Trailers & More”

Oh, found it. I knew it was in that segment but the browser version of Netflix does its damnedest to prevent you from ever stumbling upon it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Open Source Idiom posted:

Cancellations/Renewals:

Max cancelled Southside. Amazon, meanwhile, renewed The Rig.

I like The Rigbut had no hope it'd get renewed. Yay!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watching the first few episodes of Poker Face and seeing the audience knows whodunnit from the beginning is quite fun. I’m presuming Columbo and Murder She Wrote both did this too? It’s been years since I’ve seen either and don’t remember.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

EL BROMANCE posted:

Watching the first few episodes of Poker Face and seeing the audience knows whodunnit from the beginning is quite fun. I’m presuming Columbo and Murder She Wrote both did this too? It’s been years since I’ve seen either and don’t remember.

Video game and not shows, but some cases in the Ace Attorney series are like that.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Columbo does, Murder She Wrote doesn't.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Columbo and Cracker are the main two series that do this, I think.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Here's a blast from the past, from...ten years ago?! Jesus. :stare:

https://twitter.com/xPlatinumShanel/status/1628465108648067072

I didn't watch GoT myself, but I definitely remember people freaking out about this the next day.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 23, 2023

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

Columbo does, Murder She Wrote doesn't.

Every once in a while Murder She Wrote does it just to shake things up I guess. And sometimes it does a strange inbetween where Jessica just goes “it’s YOU” with zero proof and everyone thinks she’s crazy so obviously she’s right but you don’t get the visual confirmation on it.

Y’all I am enjoying my Murder She Wrote rewatch. Angela Lansbury has a loving hilarious drunk act. Also 1-2 men fall in love with her per episode. I did not remember her getting this much tail.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Columbo and Cracker are the main two series that do this, I think.

Motive, a Canadian show that I think got a stateside airing somewhere, did this too.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

ruddiger posted:

lolwat

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Bear full season spoilers: The main character's brother was secretly stashing borrowed money in tomato tins which he stored at his failing restaurant. I think the logic is that he was suicidal, and figured he'd give his family some money after he died, but secretly -- circumventing debt repayments the money would otherwise go to. And he put the cash in cana of tomato because none of the recipes at the restaurant used any -- there's a gag in an earlier episode about the cans being yet another case of the dead brother being bad with money.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Bear full season spoilers: The main character's brother was secretly stashing borrowed money in tomato tins which he stored at his failing restaurant. I think the logic is that he was suicidal, and figured he'd give his family some money after he died, but secretly -- circumventing debt repayments the money would otherwise go to. And he put the cash in cana of tomato because none of the recipes at the restaurant used any -- there's a gag in an earlier episode about the cans being yet another case of the dead brother being bad with money.

But that's what makes me wonder about the second season. Jimmy Cicero is surely going to come hunting for his money.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm enjoying Hello Tomorrow so far. It's like a cross between Mad Men / Glengarry and Severance.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Read After Burning posted:

I didn't watch GoT myself, but I definitely remember people freaking out about this the next day.

Was that the Red Wedding? I hadn't read any books so that was a huge "whoa what the gently caress?!" moment. I loved it just for the utter scope of it all.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Read After Burning posted:

My favorite entry in the "Red Wedding reaction video" category from 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGUwmPRsI8I

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Starting March 1st the latest season of MST3K will start airing on their Pluto TV channel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1628875118457004033

Ah ok here's what I think is going on: David Zaslav is from the future and he blames WB for the death of his parents and he has come back in time to destroy the company and everything it holds dear

quote:

Warner Bros. has a packed upcoming slate. To round out the second quarter, “Shazam! Fury of the Gods” will arrive in a matter of weeks. Kicking off the summer is Ezra Miller’s “The Flash,” followed by the hotly anticipated “Barbie,” from director Greta Gerwig and stars Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling. In August, Jason Statham will face a prehistoric shark yet again in “Meg 2: The Trench,” and New Line will roll out DC’s “Blue Beetle.”

The end of the year will bring a big hit of Timtohee Chalamet, first in “Dune: Part Two,” then in the candyman origin story “Wonka.” The musical “The Color Purple” will close out the ear, as will Jason Momoa in “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom.”

Meg 2: The Trench. Also genuinely cannot believe they are moving ahead with the Flash after all the Ezra poo poo, how the gently caress did they dodge that poo poo

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 23, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
sigh.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1628875118457004033

Ah ok here's what I think is going on: David Zaslav is from the future and he blames WB for the death of his parents and he has come back in time to destroy the company and everything it holds dear

Okay, first off, that's one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. Well done.

Second, I've read the article a couple times, and while I initially read "New Lord of the Rings Movies" as "Remaking LotR", it's ambiguous, and I think it's just making new movies in Middle Earth? As a way of competing with Amazon, since they have rights to some stories Amazon doesn't? It's not too insane, and is kind of what I expected, if that's what they're doing. I mean, I'm sure those movies would suck, but still, whatever, so did the Hobbit movies.

If it's a remake of LotR, we ride for WB at dawn.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think that even they don't even know.

The only thing here is Zaslav sees franchise, Zaslav says more must be done with franchise because those are the only movies worth making.

So, unless you do something like appoint someone to head the franchise and plan it carefully like they are trying to do with DC now, it's just going to be scattershot throw stuff at the wall who cares where it fits.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I can only take so much of a young white professional pulling his hair back and getting quietly intense before going aggro at his coworkers BUT IT GETS RESULTS.

South Side was very wistful work environment fantasy show but it still felt real in a way The Bear could never.

But when he got aggro the show went out of its way to show that it was a low point

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1628882116665810944?s=46&t=JsbrXZLeMaksMidW9RvL9A

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Make more Lord of the Rings that I'll never watch, I don't care. Already skipping the Amazon LotR. They already made as close to perfect as we can ever get of an adaptation of the books. New efforts are entirely pointless and superfluous so no need to watch em.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd be up for another straight adaptation of LotR as long as it had the goal of not aping the Jackson movies and was driven by creative choices rather than corporate ones. I dig those flicks and all, but they're far from the only valid possible adaptation of the source material, especially since Jackson set a solid bar for respect of the source material.

Of course, that wouldnt apply to this situation which is just a clear cashgrab, but sometime down the line I'd love to see a LotR that was more like Excalibur or Green Knight in its vibe.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's straight up fantasyland stuff though. Especially in these particular circumstances with a clownishly greedy and short sighted CEO making desperate grasps for IP within reach as he leads a company literally made of debt, as a joke on the taxpayer.

Whatever resources a better-LotR would take are not on the table at this nadir of television and film.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well now hang on a second

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

zoux posted:

the candyman origin story “Wonka.”

Was thinking of an entirely different Candyman and had a hell of a moment making my brain try to parse those two things together.

zoux posted:

:frogon:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Only if Natasia Demetriou plays Bombadil's hot wife.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nerdoftherings1/status/1628876680063340545

This is my go to lotr opinion guy and while he trends towards optimism, he agrees that this is going to be new stories and not a trilogy remake.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We already have that kind of fanfiction, it's called every other fantasy franchise.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1628934415907966979

Probably for the best. This season is going to be insane I bet.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ll watch the new Lord of the Rings stuff if it’s the Silmarillion and the whole thing is a guy at a desk giving a lecture like that guy at the start of The Mole People.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Teen drama set in Minas Tirith High following a shy and awkward hobbit Frobo, his stoner orc best friend, their 13 dwarf pals, his good-hearted hippy adopted elf single father, while he navigates the wars of highschool, avoids his nemesis a jock great grandson of sauron, and trying up the muster to ask out the cute gollum next door he's always had a crush on.

They have rivalries with the kids from Minas Morgul HS, there's an absentee singing principal who is never to be seen outside of occasional sightings of eagle poo poo on campus, tom bombadil runs the soda shop everyone hangs out in.