Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
they need to hire some former isis fighters to improve their vbied setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
MT-LB continues to show it's flexibility as a platform.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

"Surrender to our troops and we'll treat you well", they said. "Bring weapons with you and we'll pay you well." Well, it turns out...

Meanwhile Hungary now says they will vote on the ratification of Finland and Sweden at the beginning of March. And Turkey has resumed negotiations with Finnish and Swedish envoys despite previous objections to Kurd-supporting, Koran-burning Swedes. Finnish FM speculates that the earthquakes changed Turkey's mood.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Nenonen posted:

And Turkey has resumed negotiations with Finnish and Swedish envoys despite previous objections to Kurd-supporting, Koran-burning Swedes. Finnish FM speculates that the earthquakes changed Turkey's mood.

Do you have a source for this? This is surprisingly good news. I thought Sweden was dead in the water as far as NATO membership went after the Koran burning thing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

buglord posted:

Do you have a source for this? This is surprisingly good news. I thought Sweden was dead in the water as far as NATO membership went after the Koran burning thing.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/news/turkey-opens-up-to-swedens-nato-application-after-us-meeting/

F16s, as a few posts earlier in the thread have speculated, may have been a factor. That said, I definitely don't exclude that Turkey would like some extracurricular humanitarian assistance from the EU, which might be difficult to come by while beefing with Sweden – what is there to say about the time when Sweden holds the rotating EU presidency.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 22, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

buglord posted:

Just from Finnish media https://www.is.fi/politiikka/art-2000009411558.html

quote:

TURKEY'S Foreign Minister Mevlüt Cavusoglu announced on Monday that the country is ready for new negotiations with Sweden and Finland. Mr Cavusoglu made the announcement at a press conference with his US counterpart, Mr Blinken.

Mr Haavisto said that it was good that Turkey had expressed its readiness to return to the negotiating table. Haavisto does not know the exact timetable for the resumption of negotiations, or at least did not say on Wednesday.

- In January we were a bit stunned when Turkey announced that there would be a break in the negotiations. Now hopefully we can move forward in the trilogue.

Mr Haavisto hopes that the promises made by Hungary, the other remaining ratifying country, to Finland and Sweden will be kept, and that the Finnish and Swedish parliaments will ratify their memberships as soon as possible. He points out that Hungary has not imposed any conditions on Finland's and Sweden's membership at any stage.

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/news/turkey-opens-up-to-swedens-nato-application-after-us-meeting/

F16s, as a few posts earlier in the thread have speculated, may have been a factor. That said, I definitely don't exclude that Turkey would like some extracurricular humanitarian assistance from the EU, which might be difficult to come by while beefing with Sweden – what is there to say about the time when Sweden holds the rotating EU presidency.

Coincidently

Minister for International Development Cooperation and Foreign Trade Johan Forssell visits Türkiye in connection with the earthquake disaster

https://swedish-presidency.consiliu...quake-disaster/

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

ronya posted:

an interesting pair of results:

https://twitter.com/fbermingham/status/1628315133725343746

https://twitter.com/corajamine/status/1628364782578311170

basically a proxy for territorial war as a legitimate-to-domestic-audiences method of politics and statebuilding

This poll has crazy built-in bias.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Kallikaa posted:

Coincidently

Minister for International Development Cooperation and Foreign Trade Johan Forssell visits Türkiye in connection with the earthquake disaster

https://swedish-presidency.consiliu...quake-disaster/

Erdogan’s poll numbers must not be looking too good after that quake and the fact that he’s on camera bragging about having pretty much waived all construction zoning earthquake safety laws in the hard hit areas in an attempt to make a lot of housing cheap and quick back in 2019.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Interesting thread suggesting that the recent loud complaints from Wagner about them getting starved for ammunition isn't due to some vendetta against the group from the establishment but something even more damning - it's the same situation everywhere, even in the regular army

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1628477870497562625

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chalks posted:

Interesting thread suggesting that the recent loud complaints from Wagner about them getting starved for ammunition isn't due to some vendetta against the group from the establishment but even more damning - it's the same situation everywhere

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1628477870497562625

While I'm not rushing to conclusions on the thread alone, there has been a noted shift in that Russia is no longer 24/7 blasting artillery across all the hundreds of kilometres of the frontline, and hasn't in some time. Keeping the bangs... uhhh... banging is not a sunny meadow for Russia either. I've seen some more specific complaints about the powder charges for artillery shells being tight, but not much to specifically corroborate that (also, that's not the most notable part of this Twitter thread).

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my pop history addled brain immediately goes back to similar severe russian shortage of shells on the eastern front in the second half of 1915. history rhyming and all that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my pop history addled brain immediately goes back to similar severe russian shortage of shells on the eastern front in the second half of 1915. history rhyming and all that

I wouldn't say it's severe per se – “pragmatic” is probably the best characterization of the current mood of their fire control, if perhaps availing a notch too much benefit of doubt to their decision-making.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Everyone had a shell shortage in that war

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

VostokProgram posted:

Everyone had a shell shortage in that war

Just like this war!

I wouldn't get too excited about shll drought, these aren't the first images of dire Russian stocks, and so far these incidents haven't been indicative of an acute systemic issue

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Just like this war!

I wouldn't get too excited about shll drought, these aren't the first images of dire Russian stocks, and so far these incidents haven't been indicative of an acute systemic issue

There might be something to the analysis that was offered in that latest LazerPig video, that although Russia probably doesn't have an acute shell crisis, what they are having difficulties with is getting ammunition to the front lines. They are dependent on rail transport for their logistics, but due to the danger of Himars and other lange range weaponry, they now have to stop to unload much further from the front than before and travel by truck (and seemingly BMP and other APCs and artillery tractors presssed into logistics duty) to depots which still are fairly far from the front lines, courtesy of that Himars threat, then they have to get to the unit. This actually gets fairly difficult.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
And if GLSDB is actually a thing Ukraine has now, as some seem to believe based on the Mariupol explosions, then they may have to unload ammo from trains even further back.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Russia can't outright run out but they can be forced to either stop shelling to save up for major offensives or keep up a low rumble but be unable to ramp it up for offensives.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Randarkman posted:

There might be something to the analysis that was offered in that latest LazerPig video, that although Russia probably doesn't have an acute shell crisis, what they are having difficulties with is getting ammunition to the front lines. They are dependent on rail transport for their logistics, but due to the danger of Himars and other lange range weaponry, they now have to stop to unload much further from the front than before and travel by truck (and seemingly BMP and other APCs and artillery tractors presssed into logistics duty) to depots which still are fairly far from the front lines, courtesy of that Himars threat, then they have to get to the unit. This actually gets fairly difficult.

And the guns need to keep on moving as well. This and the ferrying of shells means that you use up a lot more fuel. But Himars threat also forces you to place fuel depots further back, increasing fuel consumption even more as fuel trucks have to drive longer distances from depots to units. A vicious cycle.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cicero posted:

And if GLSDB is actually a thing Ukraine has now, as some seem to believe based on the Mariupol explosions, then they may have to unload ammo from trains even further back.

On that note though, there still seems to be no visual evidence whatsoever from Mariupol', to confirm anything landing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

On that note though, there still seems to be no visual evidence whatsoever from Mariupol', to confirm anything landing.

How would you even notice there?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

How would you even notice there?

You know what I mean. :colbert:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The executive branch of the EU (aka “Brussels”) doesn't enforce sanctions, and has no agency to enforce sanctions. The implementation of these has historically been in the member states' purview. That's all slated to change later this week, however, meaning that the EU will get its own version of the U.S. Treasury bad news department, rumoured to be under AMLA's umbrella.

Is that change as big a deal as it sounds like it is? I'm totally ignorant of this, but I'm imagining the difference in sanction enforcement between an EU agency and a Hungarian one would be huge.

Also, what's AMLA?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

EasilyConfused posted:

Is that change as big a deal as it sounds like it is? I'm totally ignorant of this, but I'm imagining the difference in sanction enforcement between an EU agency and a Hungarian one would be huge.

Also, what's AMLA?

The difference could be big, but it's quite contingent on the legal fine print, and the negotiations have been heated for the upcoming changes. For instance, Hungary wanted to remove sanctions from 9 oligarchs as recently as a month ago (as of today that number is down to 0, initially being watered down to 4, and then to 2). Also, if the enforcer is an agency with some other priorities, then you get all the public financing kung fu to hash out. However, if we get it right – and on the basis of the 2017 European Public Prosecutor's Office we know that we can get these things right – then it could be an enormous deal. The U.S. equivalent would be OFAC of the Department of the Treasury, and is positively terrifying – when they came calling for Latvia, our government near-instantaneously killed the largest private bank in the Baltics, audited every financial institution in Latvia that could do an international wire transfer, and then killed the whole industry of not too scrupulously providing financial services to foreigners by rewriting the relevant financial laws and regulations from grounds up to a remarkably harsh standard. The time span for that long rear end sentence – 2 IRL years, lol. I was working in finance around the time poo poo went down and it was extremely funny behind the scenes, in an out-of-scope institution, to witness EU MONEYVAL and US OFAC both scream at our parliament and then the Financial and Capital Market Commission just loving raid all the banks with special forces locking down buildings at 11am when you're trying to buy a burger at a gas station across the street.

AMLA stands for Anti-Money Laundering Authority, which is a work-in-progress EU agency doing you won't believe what. There have been persitent rumours through the years that they might get the job of enforcing sanctions violations, most recently just this past fortnight in the context of the 10th sanctions package. Preliminarily scheduled for the 24th of February, the package is expected to ratchet up enforcement of the existing sanctions in particular. For instance, here's Bloomberg reporting it.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 23, 2023

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i'm a bit confused what Indians thought the Russian military was like before. Perhaps a small group of glorified ice cream vans?

well, Russian cities are not the ones being shelled to the ground and their people not being randomly disappeared into torture prisons by a foreign occupier.

being able to inflict this on others, and not have this inflicted on your co-ethnics, can be interpreted as a sign of strength. So war is costly and painful and protracted - but so what; a lot of geopolitical conflicts are; an advantage so overwhelming as to suggest pure air power campaigns or Desert Storm style walkovers (that anything less is a sign of weakness) is limited to the countries that really enjoy these advantages.

an Indian commentatariat long mournful about the loss of its chief economic and security partner (the Soviet Union) has long also reiterated narratives on post-Soviet suffering and the assorted humiliations afflicted on Serbian and Russian minorities in redrawn borders

which is not to say that India is not cognizant that its present security neighbourhood inevitably draws it into the US sphere, but it can still be really resentful about that evolution, just as France was during the Cold War

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I was working in finance around the time poo poo went down and it was extremely funny behind the scenes, in an out-of-scope institution, to witness EU MONEYVAL and US OFAC both scream at our parliament and then the Financial and Capital Market Commission just loving raid all the banks with special forces locking down buildings at 11am when you're trying to buy a burger at a gas station across the street.

Would love to hear more about this and what the resulting institutional panic was like.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Interesting headline I saw today:

"Humiliated Putin forced to pay Russians to attend pro-war event in Moscow stadium"

(Not familiar with this site, so maybe take with a grain of salt.)

ronya posted:

well, Russian cities are not the ones being shelled to the ground and their people not being randomly disappeared into torture prisons by a foreign occupier.

Although not being shelled to the ground, some Russian towns near the Ukrainian border have certainly been affected.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Small White Dragon posted:

"Humiliated Putin forced to pay Russians to attend pro-war event in Moscow stadium"

(Not familiar with this site, so maybe take with a grain of salt.)

People being forced to attend events (or sometimes being paid) is not unusual for Russia, but it's hardly a humiliation for Putin --- he is not a fan of any genuine rallies, even those that agree with his actions, since people who care are a potential problem.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
What do you all make of the rumors flying around Twitter of possible Russian moves toward Moldova? More distraction or are they really gonna go for it?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Delthalaz posted:

What do you all make of the rumors flying around Twitter of possible Russian moves toward Moldova? More distraction or are they really gonna go for it?

It would be a rather difficult maneuver, and I don't know where they would even get men to do it. Any forces would have to go through either Ukraine or Romania, and the garrison in Transnistria is probably too small and busy.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Delthalaz posted:

Russia doesn't have any way to get to Moldova and the force there is pretty small. Ukraine has already said they'll help out if Transnitria does anything.

So IMO it's just talk and nothing is going to happen.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Russia doesn't have any way to get to Moldova and the force there is pretty small. Ukraine has already said they'll help out if Transnitria does anything.

So IMO it's just talk and nothing is going to happen.

Fly it in transports from Crimea?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

Fly it in transports from Crimea?

Ukraine has pretty good AA in the area. Not many would get through.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Ukraine has pretty good AA in the area. Not many would get through.

They'd be pretty far out in the Black Sea, wouldn't they? Would AA from Odessa be able to reach them?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

They'd be pretty far out in the Black Sea, wouldn't they? Would AA from Odessa be able to reach them?

Ukraine extends well to the southwest of Odessa, all the way to the Danube delta south of Moldova. They would have to overfly Ukrainian territory to get to Moldova.

They may not have a lot of AA there at the moment, but they would get it there in a hurry if there was any indication that Russia was preparing anything.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Realistically they probably already shuffled poo poo that a way.

Russia making noises can in part be a ploy to force Ukraine to redeploy troops/resources to that area because it's still somewhat of a possible front.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Delthalaz posted:

Last summer there was a suggestion that the Russian troops in Transnistria were maybe getting ready to do *something*. Whether that was going to push into Moldova, open an Western front in Ukraine or just make enough noise to keep some Ukrainian troops away from the front will probably never be known.

If Ukraine wins this war, I suspect that Ukraine will not tolerate that enclaves existence on their border.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Crow Buddy posted:

Last summer there was a suggestion that the Russian troops in Transnistria were maybe getting ready to do *something*. Whether that was going to push into Moldova, open an Western front in Ukraine or just make enough noise to keep some Ukrainian troops away from the front will probably never be known.

If Ukraine wins this war, I suspect that Ukraine will not tolerate that enclaves existence on their border.

The failure of the West to shore up Moldova against Russia is embarrassing tbqh in general.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

goddamnit polisci academics can you find a design person or at least read a book on doing good graphics. you can't just stuff a spreadsheet into gephi, click "do network analysis", snapshot the entire drat thing at max zoom out, and call it a day.

the actual paper does sorta go into the details but lol wtf at that figure. it's a directed graph? yeah, sorta, but HALF THE LINES ARE SO SMALL YOU CAN'T SEE THE DIRECTION INDICATOR. AND DESPITE THIS YOU ONLY HAVE LIKE 3 LINE SIZES FOR A FAIRLY SPARSE GRAPH. you got like "unreadably tiny, small, medium, gigantic" and that's it, with most in the tiny category. node cardinality size (representing in-degree per the figure box) is is similiarly lol size. it's mostly tiny (but graphically not much smaller than the biggest poo poo) nodes with NO loving LABELS. WHAT ARE THESE PAGES? IS THEIR IN DEGREE THREE? THREE HUNDRED? WHAT ARE MAX AND MIN AND MEAN AND WHATNOT? COULD YOU AT LEAST PROVIDE SOME COMPLEMENTARY GRAPHICAL STATS BARS (seriously this is the only figure. there are two tiny tables. that's it. the rest is text)

this is like a textbook example of "how not to do visual media to represent numerical information". like maybe the underlying methods are sound and the giant wall of text has lots of useful insight but idk, goddamnit academics read a tufte book or smth

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

only if we get a psychological horror palace intrigue redux of Agoniya in like... 60 years i guess. with, idk, medvedev filling in for rasputin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

(Not familiar with this site, so maybe take that with a grain of salt.)

Although not being shelled to the ground, some Russian towns near the Ukrainian border have certainly been affected.

The Express is sub-Daily Mail tabloid trash that usually spends its time running stories about how awful Meghan Markle is because she's black, and generally has an editorial position roughly to the right of Goebbels. Sometimes they run stories about ghosts or whatever--for example: https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/1730992/cannock-chase-ghost-black-eyed-girl-horror Like, stopped clocks and all that, but I'd take anything they say with more like a boulder of salt.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 23, 2023