Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

FrickenMoron posted:

Release the alpaca knight dlc class, cowards.

I would purchase this immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I get why they limited the amount of animals you can display in your stables, but it'd be nice if animals you adopted appeared around the somniel somewhere just vibing. I have a variety of interesting critters but I usually just end up with dogs and maybe a couple cats bc I like cats. It'd be fun to see the flamingo hanging out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chapter 19:
"That's a lot of units, but at least I can clog things up easily with a few tanks in front." "LOL Area effect warp staff."
"...Okay, but now that that's settled I can fog up some evasion with Alear." "Have you seen my Wyrmslayer? It makes FIRE!"

Nothing I couldn't recover from, but those were some surprises that reminded me to actually look at what I'm fighting. I had to Rescue Saphir to get Alear to her before she died, not nearly as solid as the big armored character image makes her look.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

After so many games of enemies never doing things like this, enemies using player favorite abilities like AoE Warping and dancing and stuff made me laugh every time, I love it

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Introducing Saphir by having her immediately die on turn 1 was a very good way of having me dump her on the bench immediately.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

Introducing Saphir by having her immediately die on turn 1 was a very good way of having me dump her on the bench immediately.

Yeah. I could put some effort and maybe make her great, but like Rosado (and unlike Goldmary who has been amazing from the start) Saphir seems to be in the "look, I got twelve other people here already doing pretty good, there isn't a niche I need you for" camp.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Nothing I couldn't recover from, but those were some surprises that reminded me to actually look at what I'm fighting. I had to Rescue Saphir to get Alear to her before she died, not nearly as solid as the big armored character image makes her look.
You could have Rescued Alear to Saphir on turn 1 instead!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Saphir on hard is usable, she has extremely high build and her base stats are decent enough when the game opens up to 14 slots in the future.

But also, on maddening the only thing that matters is that she comes with 2k sp.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I just engaged Diamant with Camilla.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saphir seems like she'd be pretty decent for Vantage/Wrath if you aren't just using Panette for that (or in addition to Panette, one of them can use Ike and the other can use Leif and inherit the other skill). Her personal skill gives her Hit/Avo+20 if she's below 50% HP, and +20 Hit's always welcome with Vantage.

Panette's +10 Crit when she's damaged is even better but Saphir is a great second Vantage/Wrath or if you're doing an iron man and Panette died or you just don't want to use Panette this run or something

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

Saphir on hard is usable, she has extremely high build and her base stats are decent enough when the game opens up to 14 slots in the future.

But also, on maddening the only thing that matters is that she comes with 2k sp.

It was fun having a project to try to get her four levels in hero early enough for it to matter

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I would say more than usable on hard, she can grab dual guard or your preferred busted skill immediately and has been easily a top performer on my team since recruitment. No special investment was needed, and she was competing with units overlevelled from paralouges. Curious what the problem with her is on maddening, I was assuming she'd at least be decent on it. I have done no extra grinding since ch 11 and given her no real special attention to get her up to speed.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 22, 2023

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Your 12th/14th is generally going to be some mediocre backup bot anyway so she can fill that role out, albeit sub-optimally without a hero reclass

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Saphir was a perfectly reliable 14th unit for me, just handed her Etie's old longbow and she was good to go.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
anyone with backup type who can deal nonzero damage and survive a round of combat is alright in my books

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
She's also extremely cool, however I acknowledge this is irrelevant to her power level.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If I'm going to need to upgrade from 12 to 14 I think there's space for her. After Goldmary came in and reclassed to Great Knight for a perfect new tanky unit right as Louis was falling off, my standards have been set pretty high.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It is pretty funny whenever you go to a difficulty where recruitable units will get instantly murdered on the map. Classic Fire Emblem.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

a cute detail about that is that koyasu's son does some minor background stuff in this game, like generic enemies and the fashion store shopkeep
That is a cute detail.

I look forward to the day when we can witness a father-son ham duel from them.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Just finished
Gameplay 9/10
Story 2/10
The entire finale I felt like I was on drugs because Sombrero repeatedly keeps going on long cackling monologues about how he’s going to leave the world in peace and make sure to not hurt anyone and everyone’s going “Oh God anything but that!” Like this is not exactly increasing the tension Intsys. It’s downright surreal.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
What emblem and skills should be paired with Panette. Chapter 16, Hard/Classic. I have changed her to Warrior and been using Lyn. But I have read that Vantage (Leif) and Wrath (Ike) are great for her with an engraved Killer Axe. Inheriting both of those skills seems like a lot of work if I want the skills but stay with Lyn (basically 2000 each.) Engaged Leif gives +10 crit from Adaptable and Backup class. Ike gives defensive bonuses.

It kind of seems like the Vantage/Wrath setup is an enemy phase build which makes me think you'd need Pair Up from Corrin which is another 2000 point skill. Whereas Lyn Speedtaker/Alacrity focus is more of a player phase build. I like the Call Doubles ability as well. And Panette's high strength means Astra Storm can bust out some long range artillery. If I were to stick with Lyn, what inheritable skills would work best?

I'm terrible about choice paralysis in games like this...

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

in Hard it literally doesn't matter

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

There are two popular builds for Panette, Panette/Lyn Wolf Knight or Panette/Ike Warrior

Wolf Knight Panette just tries to stack up Speedtaker bonuses to patch up her Spd so she can double with her big Str. You never really want to use Call Doubles instead of killing something, it's more of a panic button. You can just give her Speed +X with this option. You can also just stay with Warrior though, Wolf is just popular since she has an innate dagger proficiency and daggers are 1-2.

For Vanwrath You don't need Vantage++, Vantage+ is good enough most of the time, so that's only 1k. Even normal Vantage can work if you take the time to math out how much damage you'll take from enemies. Vanwrath also doesn't need Pair Up because the Vantage attack happens before chain attacks, plus whatever backup is trying to attack you should die to Vanwrath anyway. The Vanwrath build also synergizes very poorly with Lyn since it doesn't care about Speed or playerphasing, so you may as well stick with Ike.

Another option for Vanwrath is to use Leif and inherit Wrath, since Ike is a high demand emblem and you may want to put him on someone else. But Leif for Vanwrath is fiddlier since Adaptable will make you switch to the Master Lance if you're facing sword enemies, so you may not want to go to Bond Level 10 with him if you're doing this. On the plus side though you can give Leif!Warrior Panette a Killer Bow as well and she'll be able to counter both melee and ranged enemies with Adaptable.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 23, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

galagazombie posted:

Just finished
Gameplay 9/10
Story 2/10
The entire finale I felt like I was on drugs because Sombrero repeatedly keeps going on long cackling monologues about how he’s going to leave the world in peace and make sure to not hurt anyone and everyone’s going “Oh God anything but that!” Like this is not exactly increasing the tension Intsys. It’s downright surreal.

That whole lead-up into the final battle I could just see all the dumb action movie 1 liners they could have given alear. Sombron kept setting them up, but everytime he did the red flashing right mouse button just sat ignored in the corner of the screen until it faded out sadly.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

RevolverDivider posted:

in Hard it literally doesn't matter

Sometimes you just want a little guidance on what will feel fun and be good to run from people with experience, especially when the cost to get a skill is very high so you are unlikely to get mulligans. Yeah Hard isn't unforgiving like Maddening but it's perfectly reasonable to ask.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ccubed posted:

What emblem and skills should be paired with Panette. Chapter 16, Hard/Classic. I have changed her to Warrior and been using Lyn. But I have read that Vantage (Leif) and Wrath (Ike) are great for her with an engraved Killer Axe. Inheriting both of those skills seems like a lot of work if I want the skills but stay with Lyn (basically 2000 each.) Engaged Leif gives +10 crit from Adaptable and Backup class. Ike gives defensive bonuses.

It kind of seems like the Vantage/Wrath setup is an enemy phase build which makes me think you'd need Pair Up from Corrin which is another 2000 point skill. Whereas Lyn Speedtaker/Alacrity focus is more of a player phase build. I like the Call Doubles ability as well. And Panette's high strength means Astra Storm can bust out some long range artillery. If I were to stick with Lyn, what inheritable skills would work best?

I'm terrible about choice paralysis in games like this...

You don't strictly need Pair Up for Vantage/Wrath--it's a nice to have but lower priority. Vantage makes her attack before any chain attacks would happen, so if she's getting crits and killing she won't be chain attacked in the first place. That said, you can also afford it. Vantage+ is 1000 SP, Pair Up is 2000 SP, you'll definitely be able to afford that in the late game. (And you really don't need Vantage++, because Panette wants to lose more HP than that for Wrath anyway.) Then you wear the Ike ring so you don't have to inherit Wrath. With Wrath and her personal skill, Panette will easily reach 100% crit rate with an engraved Killer Axe and one-shot anything that tries to hit her in melee.

That player phase build you mentioned is also very good, but I'd recommend that on someone else, probably a fast flier like Kagetsu or Chloé.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 23, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Rosado and Goldmary's B support is great, I love their dynamic.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Personally I'm of the opinion that Ike's better on Goldmary, but that's valuing Ike's tanking in and of itself rather than treating that tanking as a way to enable counter-killing. The big advantage of going with a defensive focus with your Ike user is that (once you do Ike's Paralogue to increase the max Bond) you can use Ragnell for the +5 Defense, whereas if you're using a more offensive build then switching off of a highly forged and engraved weapon is a waste of those resources. Having a character that doesn't want or need an Engrave most of the time is a valuable resource! (Also one of the benefits of a high-Bond Roy, with the Binding Blade being Ragnell+.)

I strongly prefer the Wolf Knight Lyn build on Panette, mostly because Panette has an incredible Strength stat even as a Wolf Knight; daggers are amazing but most users don't have the raw stats to enemy phase all and sundry with them, and Panette is the big exception. It's both player phase and enemy phase all in one. I'd suggest Wrath and Canter; that extra movement is invaluable when you're using her as more of a solo operator. The big disadvantage is that it eats up two Engraves, Lyn on a Killer Axe and Corrin on a Silver Dagger, because both are vital to making the character work. (Though when you get the S-rank dagger right at the end of the game, you can forge it up, put Corrin's Engrave on it, and use that full-time.)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
the correct panette build is the one where she keeps her cool dress

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Personally I'm of the opinion that Wyvern Lord Lyn Panette is beyond insane and beats out daggers because I'd trade daggers for flying movement any day of the week.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Who ya all giving your boots to? I'm sitting on two at the moment...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Gave 'em to Framme and Yunaka, personally. Framme originally because I like the extra reach on a staff user, and it turned out it's really nice to just have 'em on a frontliner, so Yunaka got the other pair.

Seadall is also an obvious candidate, you can never really go wrong with boots on a dancer.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Avalerion posted:

Yunaka and Panette. Yunaka because her best class choice is infantry, Panette because she was my Lyn user and so the extra range was helpful for getting in quickly to build speedtaker.

But yeah, Seagull is always a good choice because movement on your dancer is always good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Seadall gets my first Boots every time. Catering 6-move Dancer ftw

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Alear, Seadall and Veyle. I find it easlier to keep Veyle around if she can move 6 and Seadall is obviously perfect for boots as well.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Just for a lark, what would be good alternate classes for Seadall and Veyle?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Veyle's got good general stats bogged down by Fell Child's mediocre bases, so a lot of things can work for her. Sage is obvious but being the only Wolf Knight in the game with a magic dagger could be kind of neat.

Seadall doesn't really have the stats for anything except for having an alright Spd but if you throw him in Griffin he'll probably be decent enough

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Avalerion posted:

Get weird with it. Give both boots to Citrinne. Make her a halbardier and give her a flame lance. Max her on Sigurd so she'll have the best canto and the lance attack bonus. Inherit one of the other raw attack boosts.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
give both to Celine to combine the power of Levin Sword, Momentum, and Mystical units' +25% damage boost on Override

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I gave one to General Jade so she could keep up, and one to Celine since she was my Byleth backpack.