Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Who is a good fit for halberdier, I potentially want to use that class on my maddening run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goldmary's good in it, she has the stats and build for it and she already comes with lances

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

goldmary's good in it, she has the stats and build for it and she already comes with lances

Excellent, I haven't used her enough in this run so it'll be nice to put her on the main team. Thanks!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Does Halbardier's skill work even if not equipped with a lance? Some engage weapons could get really fun, like Armads or Parthia or the Master Lance. Armads in specific for the +5 defense and Hector's Heavy Blow skill to boost it even further (Hector would also force doubles on the enemy turn.)

So... Eyeballing that... I'd be inclined to say "Alfred".

Etie could be fun if you could find a way to make her not die.

You could almost certainly build someone who is decidedly not a dodge tank into one anyway, with a combination of Erika's Lance skill and Micaiah's engrave. So maybe Etie with both of those things.

Edit
Why would a Halbardier care about Bld?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

Edit
Why would a Halbardier care about Bld?
some lances are actually very heavy?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

It’s particularly painful with Timerra.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Endorph posted:

some lances are actually very heavy?

The class skill forces you to double anyhow.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They can get speed. Quite a lot of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

The class skill forces you to double anyhow.
you won't be activating that literally all the time and it also only works on player phase.

i didnt say it was the most important stat to ever exist, just that its another reason that goldmary slots into it decently.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It's also nice to not be be doubled if you can avoid it, though obviously I don't know how much of a difference the bld disparity will make vs enemy stats on maddening.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Zelkov with the engrave/Skill combo I mentioned should have +70 avoid on enemy turns.

Saphir, if wounded, could get +80.

Edit
My figures are off. That's+80 and +90, respectively. Lucina's engrave would have the other numbers and more mt.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 23, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If anyone's interested, Triangle Attack now has interactive maps of every chapter and paralogue here: https://fe17.triangleattack.com/maps

You can use them to see map layouts, enemy stats on each difficulty, where reinforcements spawn, what's in chests or houses, etc. Pretty useful resource for repeat playthroughs and challenge runs and stuff.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Is there a list of what the bonus effects Emblems grant only to certain classes are anywhere? I've tried googling but google is miserable for getting answers these days.

Edit: Ok looks like Serenes is the closest to having them all compiled in one place for ease of reference

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 23, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycatscrimes posted:

Is there a list of what the bonus effects Emblems grant only to certain classes are anywhere? I've tried googling but google is miserable for getting answers these days.

serenes forest has all of them. that site's your one stop shop for basically any fe information.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

serenes forest has all of them. that site's your one stop shop for basically any fe information.

Yeah they've filled out a lot of the categories that weren't up when I first checked (a while back). I should have checked them again first!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

the correct panette build is the one where she keeps her cool dress

This is how you choose the proper class, not based on bullshit growth %s.

Also late game all the "tank" units are so slow, they all get doubled and there are so many mage enemies. They get melted. It's better to have units who have higher speed.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 23, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd let Panette keep her cool dress if she had it in a class with a Dex cap that isn't a cruel joke :colbert:

It'd help to have a class skill that does something useful, too. Smash+ is actually kind of a neat skill but Berserker is a bizarre class to have it given their awful defenses

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
What is HP but a form of defense that is agnostic of damage type :colbert:

(I actually think it's cool where we finally have an FE game where berserker does not outperform the other axe classes by a mile)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
HP is better than DEF or RES for single hits, but gets outperformed more and more with each additional hit taken.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thinking about it: is Berserker the worst advanced class?

Like, let's look at what it offers: a bit more HP and Str than Warrior, S-rank axes, and the Smash+ skill. But Warrior has plenty of HP and Str as it is, S-rank axes suck (and you probably won't even get the non-smash one), and Smash+ is a) not very useful and b) a very weird skill to put on a class that really doesn't want to be taking hits that often.

Meanwhile, it's a class with garbage Dex locked to the weapon type with the lowest natural hit rates, and a really low Def cap for a front-liner. Neat!

I've said it before, but I think that if Warrior either didn't exist or wasn't as busted as it is, Sniper and Bow Knight (the other classes that compete most directly with Warrior) would be seen as pretty solid classes, while Berserker would still suck.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 23, 2023

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Harrow posted:

Thinking about it: is Berserker the worst advanced class?

Like, let's look at what it offers: a bit more HP and Str than Warrior, S-rank axes, and the Smash+ skill. But Warrior has plenty of HP and Str as it is, S-rank axes suck (and you probably won't even get the non-smash one), and Smash+ is a) not very useful and b) a very weird skill to put on a class that really doesn't want to be taking hits that often.

Meanwhile, it's a class with garbage Dex locked to the weapon type with the lowest natural hit rates, and a really low Def cap for a front-liner. Neat!

I've said it before, but I think that if Warrior either didn't exist or wasn't as busted as it is, Sniper and Bow Knight (the other classes that compete most directly with Warrior) would be seen as pretty solid classes, while Berserker would still suck.

Royal Knight :colbert:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Royal Knight feels really pointless compared to Griffin Knight. Better stats, flying, better skill, you can choose which weapon you want, and while I don’t think S rank weapons really matter too much, Griffin Knight can arbitrarily go S rank in their weapon type and Royal Knight can’t, despite having otherwise the same weapon levels.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Royal Knight is definitely down there, too, just because for the cost of one (1) Second Seal you can instantly make any Royal Knight better. Griffin Knight is almost the exact same class but with better stats and better mobility.

I'd argue they're still better than Berserker because nobody with staff access can be that bad, but yeah it's still a pretty bad class.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah Berserkers are awful. Besides having a low Def cap they also have a Dex cap of 23. Combine that with being locked into Axes and you have a glass cannon that's going to misfire half the time.

Speaking of Warriors, I think them being busted also has to do with bows being frontloaded in C-rank, with B-rank only giving access to Silver Bow. If Radiant Bows and/or Longbows are locked to B-rank they wouldn't be as obvious a choice, or at least it would give extra incentive to train units with innate Bow proficiency like Etie and Alcryst.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Royal Knight feels really pointless compared to Griffin Knight. Better stats, flying, better skill, you can choose which weapon you want, and while I don’t think S rank weapons really matter too much, Griffin Knight can arbitrarily go S rank in their weapon type and Royal Knight can’t, despite having otherwise the same weapon levels.

Speaking of which, why does it work this way? I don't understand. Not like as a balance issue, but as a mechanical one: why are some weapon ranks identical but behave differently?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Warriors should get B rank bows specifically so warrior Etie can use a brave bow

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Yeah Berserkers are awful. Besides having a low Def cap they also have a Dex cap of 23. Combine that with being locked into Axes and you have a glass cannon that's going to misfire half the time.

Speaking of Warriors, I think them being busted also has to do with bows being frontloaded in C-rank, with B-rank only giving access to Silver Bow. If Radiant Bows and/or Longbows are locked to B-rank they wouldn't be as obvious a choice, or at least it would give extra incentive to train units with innate Bow proficiency like Etie and Alcryst.

It's pretty arbitrary.

The way to think of it is that every class has one weapon rank that has a hidden + next to it (unless it's a class that naturally gets an S rank). Warriors, for example, have C+ rank bows, meaning that it can go up to B rank if the unit has a natural bow talent. Griffin Knights are like that with their offensive weapons, too, which is why for example Chloe can go up to S-rank lances as a Griffin Knight.

Royal Knight has its + on staves while Griffin Knight has it on its offensive weapons, which is why Royal Knight can't get S-rank lances. They traded it for the potential to have B-rank staves which is... I guess more valuable, marginally? Like it lets them use Recover, Rescue, and Warp, which are all good staves. But not enough to make up for Griffin Knight's flight.

edit: lol never mind it's even worse than that because Griffin Knight has a + on both of its ranks, so someone with a staff talent can have B-rank staves as a Griffin. Royal Knight just gets arbitrarily screwed lol

inthesto posted:

Warriors should get B rank bows specifically so warrior Etie can use a brave bow

I don't think Warrior needs to be even stronger. Like let's have some reason to maybe pick Sniper for some purposes.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 23, 2023

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

It's pretty arbitrary.

The way to think of it is that every class has one weapon rank that has a hidden + next to it (unless it's a class that naturally gets an S rank). Warriors, for example, have C+ rank bows, meaning that it can go up to B rank if the unit has a natural bow talent. Griffin Knights are like that with their offensive weapons, too, which is why for example Chloe can go up to S-rank lances as a Griffin Knight.

Royal Knight has its + on staves while Griffin Knight has it on its offensive weapons, which is why Royal Knight can't get S-rank lances. They traded it for the potential to have B-rank staves which is... I guess more valuable, marginally? But not enough to make up for Griffin Knight's flight.

I don't think Warrior needs to be even stronger. Like let's have some reason to maybe pick Sniper for some purposes.

Griffin Knight has + on Staves too bro. Source: try reclassing Pandreo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Griffin Knight has + on Staves too bro. Source: try reclassing Pandreo.

lol yeah I just saw that and edited the post

Royal Knight just gets arbitrarily screwed

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

If Griffins can't get B staves I can definitely see how Royal Knights could pull ahead, because B is where the really good staves are

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i assume they perceived flying's bow weakness as a detriment that had to be compensated for, since only a handful of maps have much use for flight

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Clarste posted:

Speaking of which, why does it work this way? I don't understand. Not like as a balance issue, but as a mechanical one: why are some weapon ranks identical but behave differently?

Tbh the only way I can really justify it is by thinking these decisions were made without reclassing in mind

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lmao i thought the pattern was any class could get a rank up except if it already had an A rank and access to multiple (non-staff) weapon types

nope turns out it's just arbitrary and exclusively dicks over royal knights for no apparent reason

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Endorph posted:

i assume they perceived flying's bow weakness as a detriment that had to be compensated for, since only a handful of maps have much use for flight

it's extremely funny that chapter 10 has some absolutely evil chest placement except you can open them from underneath with chloe and get them so fast the thief runs away (losing you a free steel dagger)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Tbh the only way I can really justify it is by thinking these decisions were made without reclassing in mind

Or much more limited reclassing, which brings me back to my hypothesis that increasing bond ranks in the arena was a relatively late addition.

The only way classes like Royal Knight make sense is with the assumption that you can't easily just jump out of it to another, obviously better class. (Meanwhile the only way Berserker makes sense is if it was designed to be an enemy-only class lol)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just saw dark lucina, give it to meeee

What a goofy character design for the weird bubblegum character, but I like the English voice actor for Rosado, will they be a playable character?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just saw dark lucina, give it to meeee

What a goofy character design for the weird bubblegum character, but I like the English voice actor for Rosado, will they be a playable character?

yeah he joins later on when you're in solm, slightly after hortensia

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Harrow posted:

Or much more limited reclassing, which brings me back to my hypothesis that increasing bond ranks in the arena was a relatively late addition.

The only way classes like Royal Knight make sense is with the assumption that you can't easily just jump out of it to another, obviously better class. (Meanwhile the only way Berserker makes sense is if it was designed to be an enemy-only class lol)

You say that, but if you are a royal knight you will also have all the proficiencies needed for the superior griffin knight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You say that, but if you are a royal knight you will also have all the proficiencies needed for the superior griffin knight.

Lol poo poo yep, never mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Harrow posted:

I am trying to buff the most important aspect of the game: Etie's abs