Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

i am harry posted:

obviously fermenting tomatoes in giant mason jars and living off seasonally available food is The Way. it's just that instead of any sort of acceptable encouragement to change and adapt to that way of living from the current "HERE BUY THIS!" method of everything, they're basically just saying, "Well look, you've had your entire life to drum up books worth of knowledge about how people used to live, and arguably plenty of time to prepare not only your garden, but also your root cellar, for this very moment we've insisted would never come."

Exactly.

Does Britain have the same thing as Canada where people both deny the existence of a local cuisine and denigrate it? Because that's an obstacle here.

I'm sure in part it's a generational thing, though probably not our generation. The Victorians were very excited that the railway made getting more exotic food (from within Canada, then North America) possible, naturally , and incorporated it into their cooking. A side effect of that was killing local farming and markets but I digress. Probably more fair to say would be intense specialization because cereals in particular could be sent easily by train so production became concentrated in the west.

Then, better steamship routes made getting ingredients from the Caribbean, then the rest of the world possible. None of this is to say that there wasn't spice, variety, interesting ingredients before, it's just people were very excited to have new things. Sort of like how there are lots of recipes from the 60's that have pineapple. It was new, and people were excited to have it. Maybe 20 years ago it was mango, 10-15 years ago pomegranate, that sort of thing.

While all of this is going on, restaurants were starting to emerge. They had always existed in hotels and things like that, so I guess what I mean is popular restaurants. Now here is the part that I don't know if it's specific to Canada. Nearly all of the first restaurants people encountered in any given part of the country were Chinese restaurants. That's down to the small town level, too. The reasons as far as immigration and modifying food for Canadian tastes are interesting (Chinese people could not own businesses except for restaurants and laundries, but made up something like 60% of restaurant owners.) Very cool stuff, there's an emerging scholarship on it, Chop Suey Nation: The Legion Cafe and Other Stories from Canada’s Chinese Restaurants, it's even been included in national museums.

(Which sparked a ferocious identity politics debate about if Chinese restaurants are part of Canadian History, Chinese-Canadian or Chinese (in Canada) History. It was a whole thing, and got pretty nasty as far as spats in museology go)

Anyway, my point in all of this is why did restaurants open in small towns and why were the first ones Chinese? Well, the very short answer is that it happened at a time when everybody knew how to cook and implicitly knew what their regional, "Canadian" if you like, cooking was. You would not go out to a restaurant to eat the food available at home. The ingredients, spices, flavours were exotic and that was the point. Chinese cooks even played it up, diverging from the typical dishes of their regions of China to create food that was more I suppose you could say bold. I don't know if people realize that most staples of Chinese menus in Canada were invented here, for Canadians. In fact, one famous menu item's Chinese name is a slur, which means "Ghost People Food".

So, in the background of all of this you have to remember that people knew and liked their own regional food and ingredients, but there was no point in opening a restaurant to serve them. Upper Middle class people often, and Upper class people universally, employed cooks, recipes were well known, quality of home cooking was good, so nobody would pay for it, I guess is my point.

At some point, something changed, I want to say maybe in the 60's, and people became really dismissive of home cooking, which was of course regional cuisine, if you're following me. They either didn't learn to cook the family recipes, or didn't like them, and it became déclassé to not cook at home from more I suppose you could say sophisticated cookbooks, which were international in character. If not international, then homogenized. I wish I knew more about this period because I've seen it referenced by Canadian chefs who are bringing dishes and local ingredients back, but I only know the stereotypes about microwaves, beef stroganoff, and JELL-O in the 60's and 70's.

After that, I don't know if culinary skills faded or whatever, but a lot of awareness of local cuisine has faded and so when people hear "potatoes and turnips", if they don't sneer and think of their grandparents' cooking, they probably remember their parents sneering. I guess people grew up hearing about boiled beef and barley and think it was awful, bland and grey (which it wasn't, and why it's remembered that way is probably a part of all of this).

So, when you have politicians tell people to cook the regionally available food, that's pushing up against these huge divides that, I want to say consumer culture played a part, have been created for at least two generations. People don't know what's locally available, and they think it's bad, basically.

I seem to remember that British people consistently vote Curry their favoured national dish. Rather than being an indictment of British cooking, I think that's a parallel to the case in Canada. Curry was a restaurant food that differed from what was available at home, which made it exciting and different. Now we've lost a connection to home cooking, many people can't cook or don't like to, so - yeah of course their preference is for curry.

One last point. This is not just a phenomenon happening to "Canadians", the bland, default, "without culture" that has come to mean stereotypically. Canada had a large wave of Ukrainian and German immigration from the 50-60's in Western Canada. Obviously, they brought their own cuisine with them. What did their kids eat? Chinese food. And so now, people are trying to revive that culinary tradition, writing cookbooks, opening restaurants, because again German immigrants and their kids were not going to go to a German restaurant, so if they didn't learn to cook, German cooking would fade from the culture. Second and third generation German Canadians were about as dismissive as German cooking as I suppose you could say British Canadians are of theirs, but now we're seeing renewed interest, and the same is true across many diaspora groups.

I hope this wasn't too discursive, but you're absolutely right that you can't say "cook like your great-grandparents". I mean, it's possible, it would be good for people, the economy, the environment, but it's such an insane thing to tell people.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Feb 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

as an outside observer it’s really amazing how much things settled down once rishi took over

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Jose posted:

it rules that because they forced him on us despite it obviously being a loving disaster they're now forced to follow him everywhere because he's an ex-PM

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1628787579809062915?s=20

sasquatch sighting

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Gripweed posted:

It's still insane to me that he got away with pinning the entire anti-Semitism scandal on Corbyn. Tens of thousands of cases of anti-semitism across only a few years, but it's OK, we got the one bad guy. It was all his fault, the entire culture of casual anti-semitism was because of this one guy, who we fired, please don't look into it anymore. And then when Jewish Labour members complained about it, they got kicked out too without a word of mention from the media. Because the scandal was over because they caught the bad guy. Amazing.

imo it's cause there's not many jewish people in the UK and basically no jewish people in the rest of the world know or care about what's going on in the UK. so they could just say whatever they want about antisemitism and feel confident they wouldn't get a significant amount of pushback from anyone as long as they weren't saying "antisemitism is good".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the 60s is about when two people working outside the house became the norm

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

He's basically gonna win by default just by turning up but Keir eating absolute poo poo would be uproariously funny for the 11 seconds before remembering that rishi has got a mandate to do gently caress all while the final copper wires are pulled out of the nation's walls

(This will also happen under labour but they'll look sad while it happens. Some of them. Maybe)

Hung parliament is my ideal situation. Gives kieth and the centrists a big black eye and gives the left a chance at a comeback but doesn’t allow Tory rule to destroy everything

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I expect Labour to win but underperform and for the media to start undermining Keith almost immediately.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
thanks kier. just got loving done chiseling the loving stone with the pledges from the last relaunch, and you drop this on me? gently caress you. you can put it on the side of a bus like normal people

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

I expect Labour to win but underperform and for the media to start undermining Keith almost immediately.

Totally. There are still enough brain worm people to vote Tory to make everything narrow wins, if that.
It will start with opinion pieces. Chiles will say how toilets were better under Tory rule.
Then full blown 'WHY HAVENT YOU FIXED THE LAST DECADE WITHIN MINUTES KEIR!"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

as an outside observer it’s really amazing how much things settled down once rishi took over

from a media perspective yeah it’s all hunky dory right now, but obviously the strikes have taken a more robust turn recently with the nurses properly going on complete strike for 48 hours (including A&E) in the near future so watch this space

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

i am harry posted:

obviously fermenting tomatoes in giant mason jars and living off seasonally available food is The Way. it's just that instead of any sort of acceptable encouragement to change and adapt to that way of living from the current "HERE BUY THIS!" method of everything, they're basically just saying, "Well look, you've had your entire life to drum up books worth of knowledge about how people used to live, and arguably plenty of time to prepare not only your garden, but also your root cellar, for this very moment we've insisted would never come."

why would you need a root cellar? Or books of knowledge?
I think there may be some middle ground here.
Farmers > storage > supermarket > people
BBC cooking shows focus on seasonal food.

Obviously this requires Big Government planning that no one wants to do..

But brexit has happened and the countries we should look to for inspiration on how to deal with the agricultural problems are Cuba and the DPRK who have utilised urban farming and science driven collective farming (w/ some market driven plots) - they've survived both the US blockade and the collapse of the USSR.
The funny thing is this problem was our own doing lol

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Canning food is actually not hard and a fun way to pass the afternoon with your partner, I make a dozen or so cans of pickles and tomatoes and veggies in the spring and eat them over the fall. The tomatoes are great for sauces.

But I also don't want to go back to the time in my family's history where a knocked-over shelf would mean that it was either hunt squirrel through four feet of snow in subzero weather or starve. And I don't think the opportunity for that is as prevalent in 2023 England as it was in 1960 Wisconsin.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Canning food is actually not hard and a fun way to pass the afternoon with your partner, I make a dozen or so cans of pickles and tomatoes and veggies in the spring and eat them over the fall. The tomatoes are great for sauces.

But I also don't want to go back to the time in my family's history where a knocked-over shelf would mean that it was either hunt squirrel through four feet of snow in subzero weather or starve. And I don't think the opportunity for that is as prevalent in 2023 England as it was in 1960 Wisconsin.

but we already have industrial scale canning why would individuals have to do it.
The cans already exist they're already in the shops

All this affects is availability of "fresh" fruit and veg on a seasonal basis, favouring local produce throughout the year.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

we’re all going to get scurvy or lead poisoning depending on if we choose to eat the cans outsourced to serco

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Starmer is playing a blinder. Little visible Party dissent, Corbyn seen off, enormous lead in the Polls. Brilliant, hopefully we have a Politician who can manage well as proven, also has experience relevant to the PM role.

By stating an aim of economic growth he has posed the question how? A starter for ten, causing the CU and SM debate will open. A lawyer who knows not to ask a question he doesn’t know the answer too.

Those who want bluster, ideology and confrontation won’t appreciate the skill of this man. They will continue to be dissatisfied with him as their own ineffective abilities hide what they can’t see.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
"he chairs a good meeting" still his strongest virtue I see

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

big scrum master energy

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Surprised no Tories have gone with the line that rationing is good because it's like the war

buddy, they won't even let me gently caress the blitz

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Jel Shaker posted:

Starmer is playing a blinder. Little visible Party dissent, Corbyn seen off, enormous lead in the Polls. Brilliant, hopefully we have a Politician who can manage well as proven, also has experience relevant to the PM role.

By stating an aim of economic growth he has posed the question how? A starter for ten, causing the CU and SM debate will open. A lawyer who knows not to ask a question he doesn’t know the answer too.

Those who want bluster, ideology and confrontation won’t appreciate the skill of this man. They will continue to be dissatisfied with him as their own ineffective abilities hide what they can’t see.

lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s always fun to dip into the guardian comments when they allow them, here’s another cracker

At last, we seem to have a grown-up up in the room. Like him or loathe him, he's a drat sight more palatable than the vile, lying Tories. (By the way, I voted for Corbyn, twice).

i suspect the final line is a lie

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Canning food is actually not hard
tell that to Stephen Goldner, the man who supplied the canned food for the franklin expedition!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Just realised the turnip lady is the same person who couldn't even pretend to give a poo poo on tv about that lady dying of starvation next to her infant jfc englabd

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I hate this oval office so much

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1628823519948685313?t=ohKrp9l7oaIExBtEA1g-pQ&s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
You know what Wes, Bernie didn't win. The person who did win was the poster child for ultra lib economics and bloodthirsty foreign interventionalism.

Guess what happened, they ate poo poo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

keep punching joe posted:

You know what Wes, Bernie didn't win. The person who did win was the poster child for ultra lib economics and bloodthirsty foreign interventionalism.

Guess what happened, they ate poo poo.

no biden won

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Indeed, though he pretty much won by default, which is right wing libs' favourite way to win

Just like they're hoping for Starmer

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if trump comes back i wonder if it will put the frighteners onto the labour spads already planning a second term

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Oh yeah I forgot about that guy.

At least he likes unions I guess.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

keep punching joe posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that guy.

At least he likes unions I guess.

you are thinking of a different joe

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Turtle Watch posted:

you are thinking of a different joe

You mean Joe Hill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Kxq9uFDes

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Thats a good Joe

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/BylineTimes/status/1629094592422223873
This is your reminder that anybody with a UK passport needs no visa or paperwork to simply drive to Ireland and start working and renting there.

I mean pets need forms and moving lorries cost a few grand but still.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol renting in Ireland

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It's fine if you're not near Dublin

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

gonadic io posted:

https://twitter.com/BylineTimes/status/1629094592422223873
This is your reminder that anybody with a UK passport needs no visa or paperwork to simply drive to Ireland and start working and renting there.

I mean pets need forms and moving lorries cost a few grand but still.

I think you mean that, actually, two-thirds of the planet want to migrate to the UK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdenpoDTEy4&t=282s

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Tfw you want to leave the UK but your passport is now worthless through the actions of every government since 2016.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Then once you're in Ireland it's 10 years residency for a passport or 3 if you're married to somebody with one already.

If your parent or grandparent has citizenship, or is still living and was born there you can get citizenship too, can go straight to the EU don't need to live in Ireland at all.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Going via Ireland is by far the easiest and cheapest way to leave the UK, for just normal people that aren't well off tech workers or whatever.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Well, either that or move to Scotland/NI and cross your fingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/UKLFI/status/1625441071210659840