Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We were gifted a quest 2 for free by friends of my wife and that makes it the best value VR of them all, imo.

It definitely got more miles on it than the PSVR did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I watched Nextlander’s video on them setting up and demoing the VR2 and it looks like a tenfold improvement over the original one. Seems like great tech and fidelity for the price point. Ngl I’m not a big VR guy but that Horizon game alone made me kinda wanna be inside that headset.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Macichne Leainig posted:

I don't love the earbuds on the PSVR2 but I'm not quite sure I'm sold on something like the Pulse 3D headset. Anyone used both the VR headset and the 3D wireless headset at the same time, with glasses? Is it super uncomfortable?

I can’t speak to the Pulse, but I have been playing with an Arctix Nova 7X and it fits great, not too heavy or bulky.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Macichne Leainig posted:

I don't love the earbuds on the PSVR2 but I'm not quite sure I'm sold on something like the Pulse 3D headset. Anyone used both the VR headset and the 3D wireless headset at the same time, with glasses? Is it super uncomfortable?

Worst comes to worst I think I have some old Koss PortaPros lying around somewhere.

I'm using both without glasses, but I can say so far I've always tried to take the headset off forgetting my pulse3D set is on and either they or the headset falls off.

When using the built in earbuds they just come out of your ears when you take the headset off which is really nice.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Rookie question:

I have a senior family member with my old PS4, under my current user login, and they play the hell out of Everybody's Golf (digital download). They have to hold the record for most hours played.

I recently purchased a PS5 and am using that same current user login. They are curious what the game load times look like on the PS5. My question is what happens if I try to download the game to my PS5? Will it somehow block them from playing it on their PS4, or erase achievements?

The last thing I want to do is block them from playing their favorite game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Electromax posted:

Ready for a break from foggy stories and abstract histories.

But...that's also a staple of the AC series.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Rookie question:

I have a senior family member with my old PS4, under my current user login, and they play the hell out of Everybody's Golf (digital download). They have to hold the record for most hours played.

I recently purchased a PS5 and am using that same current user login. They are curious what the game load times look like on the PS5. My question is what happens if I try to download the game to my PS5? Will it somehow block them from playing it on their PS4, or erase achievements?

The last thing I want to do is block them from playing their favorite game.

No, you can have a primary ps4 and a primary ps5 linked to the same PSN account and everything works fine.

You will possibly end up loving with their save data though if they have cloud saves turned on, so be careful of that I guess. Does it support multiple saves?

And if you unlock any trophies it’ll unlock for them too since it’s on the same account, if you don’t wanna interfere with any possible mission they might be on to collect trophies.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 23, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FireWorksWell posted:

Nah, they were just walls, unless there's another yokai being talked about

Oh right. I think I'm confusing them with the ones in Ghostwire Tokyo, which also weren't doors but took on the appearance of walls to hide doors.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

We were gifted a quest 2 for free by friends of my wife and that makes it the best value VR of them all, imo.

It definitely got more miles on it than the PSVR did.

I'd rather play tethered higher quality AAA titles over the quest 2's smartphone SOC-based games, but that's just me - tethered vs AiO is a pretty big trade-off.

Beat Saber is fun, though. I'm sure it will come to PSVR2 eventually. I lent my Quest 2 to my friend's kids, and they enjoyed it for a few weeks before it started gathering dust. I'm just a man child dink who plays with his toys more at home than on the go nowadays, and will gladly sell my Quest 2 + Battery Pack to re-coup most of the cost of my PSVR2 - I feel like the Quest 2's hardware limitations will prevent things like RE4 remake from coming to it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Ok I got pretty sick playing RE8 this morning.
This being my first VR experience I’m not used to it at all. I was playing it standing and doing fine for a while but a) it is SO loving REAL and b) it is very very very scary. I knew that old guy was behind there. Come on. (I’ve played it twice). Scared the living poo poo out of me. Having a very real looking person point a gun at me is an odd uncanny valley type deal too. Really didn’t expect it to feel so visceral. And the entire town is so rich with detail and darkness it totally completely captivates the mind’s reality centers. So I was in it deep. But I wonder if the adrenaline was making my vestibular system freak out a bit and before I knew it I was getting unsteady on my feet and nauseated. I took a break and laid down in bed next to my wife and my brain just couldn’t figure out I was back in normal land without a headset on for a few minutes. It was so discombobulating. Like, you ever ski or canoe all day and at the end of the day you lie down and you still feel like you have skis on your feet, or the boats still rocking? That’s what was happening to me.

What’s that all about? How does one play through a game as long as RE8 in VR? There any ways to mitigate this VR sickness or help me get used to it? It’s like space adaptation syndrome that astronauts have.

Aiming at the bad guys is loads easier than it ever was on a controller, really cool natural aiming. Panicking and forgetting how to charge a Glock then dying with a full clip, however, is not cool.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Corb3t posted:

I'd rather play tethered higher quality AAA titles over the quest 2's smartphone SOC-based game

Yeah you can do this with a Quest 2 too if you wanna play the one AAA game that exists in VR right now (Alyx). You can even do it wirelessly with the right setup, no cables needed!

I think we used it stand-alone like once or twice, the rest of the time it was connected to a computer to play something fancier than a mobile game.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah if it's your first VR experience you probably don't have the colloquial "VR legs."

Play in short bursts if you can to let yourself acclimate to it

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The game that kept getting better the more I played it.

Had the same experience. Was rather nonplussed for the first few hours but the late game Jotenheim, Muspelheim, and Vanaheim sections along with the Asgard boss battles were full-blown psychedelic madness. Honestly felt like a Jack Kirby comic come to life.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Sa-weeeeet, I'll give it a peek. Very interested in seeing impressions now that it's out in the wild!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Oh drat, long time no see :3:

Likewise! So glad to see some familiar names still!

suuma posted:

Finished Yakuza 0 today.

Man, the ending sequence :dumbbravo:

They so nailed everything about that game. It left such an impression on me that I've been chasing that perfect combo of story and gameplay with every subsequent RGG game and they keep messing with the ratios and nothing gives me the fix the way Y0 did. Won't stop me from diving into LAD: Ishin!, though!

Thundercracker posted:

I'm very curious how well Armored Core VI is going to do. Not to be gatekeeping but it was very curious to be how everyone screamed their heads off at the Game Awards when it was always a super niche game and the all streamers got super hyped. I think it's great and this could be FROM's monster hunter world.

But then again AC is the most FROM of FROM's franchises and non-fans could bounce right off if they go whole hog.

As someone who had to do PR for AC games back at the tail end of the 20th century, it's truly insane to see FromSoft rejigger the same series they've been making for decades in a way that doesn't betray the original intent but packages it up with a level of polish and competence that gets waaaaaaay more people on board. Armored Core was already starting to approach that with the last couple games getting a little more action-y and less I-am-the-lord-of-the-basement-model-builders-and-this-is-MY-gaming-kink in the weeds on building The Spergiest Mech, but it does sound like they're still taking the same "honor the original intent but make it more palatable to the masses" approach that turned King's Field into Soulsborne stuff, so best of luck to 'em.

Corb3t posted:

Beat Saber is fun, though. I'm sure it will come to PSVR2 eventually. I lent my Quest 2 to my friend's kids, and they enjoyed it for a few weeks before it started gathering dust. I'm just a man child dink who plays with his toys more at home than on the go nowadays, and will gladly sell my Quest 2 + Battery Pack to re-coup most of the cost of my PSVR2 - I feel like the Quest 2's hardware limitations will prevent things like RE4 remake from coming to it.

Yeah, Beat Saber's already been announced, and Synth Riders definitely scratches the itch for the time being. I skipped the initial SR release, so I have a shitton of tracks to play through now; that and Pistol Whip will satisfy my need for VR Beatz 'n Pew-Pews.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

This being my first VR experience I’m not used to it at all. I was playing it standing and doing fine for a while but a) it is SO loving REAL and b) it is very very very scary. I knew that old guy was behind there. Come on. (I’ve played it twice). Scared the living poo poo out of me. Having a very real looking person point a gun at me is an odd uncanny valley type deal too. Really didn’t expect it to feel so visceral. And the entire town is so rich with detail and darkness it totally completely captivates the mind’s reality centers. So I was in it deep. But I wonder if the adrenaline was making my vestibular system freak out a bit and before I knew it I was getting unsteady on my feet and nauseated. I took a break and laid down in bed next to my wife and my brain just couldn’t figure out I was back in normal land without a headset on for a few minutes. It was so discombobulating. Like, you ever ski or canoe all day and at the end of the day you lie down and you still feel like you have skis on your feet, or the boats still rocking? That’s what was happening to me.

What’s that all about? How does one play through a game as long as RE8 in VR? There any ways to mitigate this VR sickness or help me get used to it? It’s like space adaptation syndrome that astronauts have.

Aiming at the bad guys is loads easier than it ever was on a controller, really cool natural aiming. Panicking and forgetting how to charge a Glock then dying with a full clip, however, is not cool.

baby steps really. I got real sick when I first started playing VR espcially in any games where you move yourself around and it took me about a week to get over it, but I was good after that to play virtually anything at any speed (with some exceptions. I still use snap movement to this day in most games)

Basically what you need to do is the second you start feeling off, just quit the game and either do something else or play a static game that is going to be less prone to making you motion sick. Then return to the game once the feeling wears off. Basically don't let it go to far to the point where you actually feel outright nauseous, because then you are stuck recovering from that and it'll make returning less appealing. At first I had to play stuff in 10-15 minute bursts and after a few days it was taking me more like an hour before I started to feel woozy. Within a week I was fine to play for long sessions with no motion sickness.

Also don't sleep on the comfort options. I noticed RE8 and Horizon both have a ton of them. I would avoid teleporting though. It's a crutch that makes games feel like poo poo to play.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 23, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

new bloodborne essay anthology

https://www.tuneandfairweather.com/blogs/news/introducing-blood-echoes-a-bloodborne-anthology

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Blind Rasputin posted:

No I know exactly what you mean.

To be frank jumping straight into re8 was probably a little too intense (and I don't mean scare factor). You need to try some stuff a little more simple and cartoon like job simulator or what the bat.

You will get that 'what is real' feeling at least for the next few sessions so baby steps. 30 minutes or so.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

veni veni veni posted:

Also don't sleep on the comfort options. I noticed RE8 and Horizon both have a ton of them. I would avoid teleporting though. It's a crutch that makes games feel like poo poo to play.

I can't handle teleporting anymore. It's usually way more convenient but once you get acclimated to smooth movement it just doesn't compare.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Yeah you can do this with a Quest 2 too if you wanna play the one AAA game that exists in VR right now (Alyx). You can even do it wirelessly with the right setup, no cables needed!

I think we used it stand-alone like once or twice, the rest of the time it was connected to a computer to play something fancier than a mobile game.

Fair enough - my PC is ~6 years old and I'm a console gamer first and foremost, so AAA quality games are largely purchased on my PS5 over my PC/Steam Deck. The better dual sense VR controllers, foveating rendering/eye tracking, and PS5 exclusive games are more for me.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 23, 2023

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

No, you can have a primary ps4 and a primary ps5 linked to the same PSN account and everything works fine.

You will possibly end up loving with their save data though if they have cloud saves turned on, so be careful of that I guess. Does it support multiple saves?

And if you unlock any trophies it’ll unlock for them too since it’s on the same account, if you don’t wanna interfere with any possible mission they might be on to collect trophies.

Thanks for info. Not sure about the multiple/cloud saves stuff, so I'll have to look into that.

From what I can gather after searching the web, Everybody's Golf load times do get significantly better on the PS5. I could see that making sense since the game was developed for the PS4 and they likely didn't utilize techniques to take advance of the hardware advances.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Morpheus posted:

Oh right. I think I'm confusing them with the ones in Ghostwire Tokyo, which also weren't doors but took on the appearance of walls to hide doors.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those guys. When I think of Ghostwire I think of the half of the game that was just collecting spirits which sucks because there was a lot of potential early on. Same demon as the Nioh one.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Blind Rasputin posted:

One thing that helps with motion sickness is moving your legs a bit as you move in game. You can even just flex your legs and you get the same effect, it just helps your body be more ok with the sensation of moving without actually moving.

Does the headset seem comfortable for long periods of time? That's always been the biggest hurdle for VR for me, you've got these experiences that are sometimes as long as flat games but wearing a big rear end headset on your head for any more than 30 minutes at a time is an ordeal.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Does the headset seem comfortable for long periods of time? That's always been the biggest hurdle for VR for me, you've got these experiences that are sometimes as long as flat games but wearing a big rear end headset on your head for any more than 30 minutes at a time is an ordeal.

It's very comfortable and light overall. Have you used PSVR1 or Rift S? It's similar. Way more comfortable than a Quest which feels like a brick on your head after a while.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’ve been having my share of day one technical issues with PSVR2 but headset comfort is fantastic. I wore it for a few hours with no issues. The built-in fan helps a lot and it’s lightweight.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

lmao

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about those guys. When I think of Ghostwire I think of the half of the game that was just collecting spirits which sucks because there was a lot of potential early on. Same demon as the Nioh one.

COVID lockdown documentary.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I ran into something odd that I'm trying to figure out. No Man's Sky was a PS plus title a while back, right? I have it on disc, but it was also listed as in my library and I could have sworn I had it from plus. I was able to select it and Download/update it without using the disc just fine, so presumedly I have it digitally, right? When I try to boot it up it wont launch until I put the disc in though which is annoying.

How do I check if I actually own it digitally? Did I pick the wrong license or somehow? Is there something I'm missing here?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's super lame that there isn't some sort of paid/free upgrade for Tetris Effect from PS4 to PS5.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Corb3t posted:

It's super lame that there isn't some sort of paid/free upgrade for Tetris Effect from PS4 to PS5.

There is. It’s $10.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Basically what you need to do is the second you start feeling off, just quit the game and either do something else or play a static game that is going to be less prone to making you motion sick. Then return to the game once the feeling wears off. Basically don't let it go to far to the point where you actually feel outright nauseous, because then you are stuck recovering from that and it'll make returning less appealing. At first I had to play stuff in 10-15 minute bursts and after a few days it was taking me more like an hour before I started to feel woozy. Within a week I was fine to play for long sessions with no motion sickness.
Cosigning as someone prone to motion sickness, it's crucial to take a break the moment you feel even slightly woozy. Do not try to push through it. The quicker you take a break the shorter that break can be. And you really don't want your brain to associate the headset with nausea, it'll make getting your VR legs an uphill battle.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I ran into something odd that I'm trying to figure out. No Man's Sky was a PS plus title a while back, right? I have it on disc, but it was also listed as in my library and I could have sworn I had it from plus. I was able to select it and Download/update it without using the disc just fine, so presumedly I have it digitally, right? When I try to boot it up it wont launch until I put the disc in though which is annoying.

How do I check if I actually own it digitally? Did I pick the wrong license or somehow? Is there something I'm missing here?

I don't think it was a plus title, I'd prolly have tried it by now if it was.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Harriet Carker posted:

There is. It’s $10.

Not if you got it for free through PS+!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I don't think it was a plus title, I'd prolly have tried it by now if it was.

I'm looking now and that does seem to be the case. I have never had a disc game just allow me to download it like that before without the disc. Is that new or some sort of fluke?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat apparently legend of Dragoon is crazy busted. I'm so bummed

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

What would cracking the authentication in psvr2 allow for? Running it with other systems' input, like plugging it into the PC?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Morpheus posted:

What would cracking the authentication in psvr2 allow for? Running it with other systems' input, like plugging it into the PC?

Yeah potentially

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

is it worth it? let me work it
i dump my emmc down, flip it and reverse it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

chupacabraTERROR posted:

is it worth it? let me work it
i dump my emmc down, flip it and reverse it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt67ThzpL64

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat loving all these PSVR2 posts. Sounds like an incredible piece of kit, glad you’re all having a great time with it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

15 minutes until state of play. Hoping for some killer VR announcements but keeping my expectations in check.