Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i really doubt that post was being literal but it is a wild frame of mind to be drawing analogies like that to begin with, then there was the dude a few posts down who was absolutely literal about the thread being an important counterbalancing force against online russian agitprop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think it's the FYAD/QCS/IZ/PYF Crew at this point.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
not shocking but people whose primary reaction to news and politics is to Post, really overrate how important Posting is

you see this a lot when someone is shocked and appealed that the posters aren't taking some political atrocity seriously, and would rather enjoy themselves in like, the "post video game characters who could beat up Goku" thread

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Charles Bukowski posted:

Is there a way to hide it from your feed? I don't read it, but I also don't like that it's there.

Also I thought the Saga regulars drummed you out of these threads for being one of those bloodlust war posters?

Ironic, isn't it, considering I'm on record in that thread as opposing gore posting?

As to your first, there might be a Chrome plugin that can hide threads by thread ID? How do you normally read SA?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

live posting about a war and acting like you're vicariously participating in it is one of the most disturbing online activities and I don't want it in the forum regardless of if it's a thread I routinely read. Thank you

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Spanish Manlove posted:

So I might just be charging windmills here, but is there a correlation between people on the koalas march side who are now also very much the same people that want all this dissent to stop?

I think that whole affair still hasn't fully healed yeah. I'm kind of an outsider to that because I was literally only posting in games and sas when that all went down

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hell. I'll even be nice and say I get being a bit defensive if you feel your hang out is under attack, especially if you are not one of the people posting the bad stuff and feel like you're being lumped in or whatever. But c'mon lol.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's weird to me that the immediate response to people pointing out the hosed up posts wasn't "wow those posts are bad, we should get rid of them" it was unhinged assertions that people are russian agents being paid to ruin the thread. That type of mentality isn't healthy and leads to crap like the weirdo melting down in the Games chat thread about how if you live in Russia you deserve to be murdered lol.

yeah, plus anyone being skeptical of any of the bazillion sketchy twitter accounts there is somehow an enthusiastic fascist.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

not shocking but people whose primary reaction to news and politics is to Post, really overrate how important Posting is

you see this a lot when someone is shocked and appealed that the posters aren't taking some political atrocity seriously, and would rather enjoy themselves in like, the "post video game characters who could beat up Goku" thread

most of it isn't even posting, it's just twitter feeds. i dunno.

like people say, the thread has potential and worth, but it's hosed up that people think posting about a war is a pastime and their clubhouse, regardless of which side they're on.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Frank Frank posted:

Lmao that dude ran back to CSPAM to giddly glloat about how he was owning this thread and everyone ignored him

According to the admins this is brigading and so the Trump Threads needs to be closed immediately.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Feels Villeneuve posted:

How would that thread even work. There wouldn't be a single valid post in it

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Hell. I'll even be nice and say I get being a bit defensive if you feel your hang out is under attack, especially if you are not one of the people posting the bad stuff and feel like you're being lumped in or whatever. But c'mon lol.

Presumably most of us are here because of this very reason

But I'm not accusing the people I don't like of secretly being MI6 or whatever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think this kind of thing would be helped if a QCS was well moderated because yeah, people being like "close ADTRW and ban every poster" do not help someone pointing out a gently caress poo poo thread in there, and will almost certainly escalate things

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think Sephiroth could easily defeat Goku.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like the guy who claimed my posting was occuring at the same time as a 'an astroturfed antiwar proimperialist protest' meant I was also a paid Russian troll and probably a Nazi. that guy didn't get punished at all despite making what is clearly a full rear end schizophrenic rage post lol. but my later, completely sincere post got probated for trolling, so

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and sorry to the Slavic sa posters but it's normal actually to not put mental or emotional energy into things you can't do anything about. it's called not being mentally ill

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Charles Bukowski posted:

Is there a way to hide it from your feed? I don't read it, but I also don't like that it's there.

Also I thought the Saga regulars drummed you out of these threads for being one of those bloodlust war posters?

If you use ublock, add ###thread4016636 to your blocklist and it won't show up in the thread list.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think sephiroth sucks, tbh.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Spanish Manlove posted:

Asura from hit game Asura's Wrath could definitely take Goku I think

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Spanish Manlove posted:

Their viewpoint is that they want to be informed of what's going on but dude it's just a Twitter RSS feed with no discussion. I get that some people want (and should) be informed of the situation but then there's the subtext of the glee in death and destruction that's in any twitter-less post. I don't think the thread should be eradicated but it's a very dissonant thread that I don't really understand.

There's also this pretend-burden of "If I don't immediately look at the carnage wrought by this war, then it's all for nothing"

There was someone saying "not everyone has the privilege to avoid watching footage of gruesome death" like it's some moral and civic duty to watch civilians being tortured to death or POWs having their head exploded with a sledgehammer, literally comparing people discouraging seeking out and sharing that media to covering up footage of concentration camps and the Holocaust
like, no one in that thread is an international war crime investigator, seeing that stuff does not change anything, no one is ever going to ask you for details that only you have. it's just fuckin your brain up and nothing else. When I said that it wasn't good to seek stuff like that out, in response to someones devil's advocate argument that "if it makes you feel good to watch, wouldn't that mean it's good?"I got an 18hr probation for "pearl clutching moralist bullshit interforum drama"

and then it's intermixed little winknudge "jokes" like this post I'm linking joking about how how Putin is going to be in charge of the Wagner homosexual prisoner Literal Rape-War Slave division, which is a real thing and they are in Ukraine right now being raped and then forced to march into machine gun fire pretty much

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4016636&pagenumber=450&perpage=40&highlight=cock,division#post529963300

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1599360352403087360

like, that's not the right tone for a thread about a live war. the posts joking about russian military rape and poo poo are why i stopped posting in it. it's dehumanizing and loving gross.
I reported that post, nothing happened; the same poster was also asking the thread if they thought any cannibalism was happening on the front, and it wasn't the first time that they'd asked that.

The last time I skimmed the thread I saw like four or five posts about Russian troops getting turned into sausage because they were given sausages for enlisting.

acting like there's nothing wrong with that at all is loving insane

edit: also I'd like to draw a distinction between that stuff and the e. euro posters who are very understandably invested in the outcome and have been living in fear of the Russian military looming over them (at least) since the cold war ended, they cross lines on occasion but it's understandable and doesn't have that same gross feeling to it because there's a justifiable reason to feel the way they do.
it's a much more personal thing for them and feels like they're venting legit emotions that have been there since long before this conflict started - I don't want to come across like I'm saying people should be robots about the situation, or be the American yelling "stop caring" from 4000 miles out when the war's a 2 hour drive away, or you personally know people being affected by it or who are involved in it and poo poo like that. I get that there'd be a very real "us vs. them" feel to the entire thing for anyone located near Russia and I'm not calling that group out at all.
It's the people who don't have a valid reason, who then make it into a personal crusade or identity and then get hella weird and gross/insane/COVIDesque obsessive and talk about Forum Spies and w/e.

FirstnameLastname has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Feb 23, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That's loving it, I'm tired of these frieza force jabronis brigading good threads

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Frieza ftw.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

and sorry to the Slavic sa posters but it's normal actually to not put mental or emotional energy into things you can't do anything about. it's called not being mentally ill

Žije, žije, duch slovanský,
bude žiť na veky,
Hrom a prdlo, márne vase
proti nám sú vzteky!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is different but one of my favorite instances of someone trying to make every thread about their favorite political issue was a covid poster barging into the war thread and being like "does anyone know if there is going to be a huge covid outbreak on the front lines" or some poo poo

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this is different but one of my favorite instances of someone trying to make every thread about their favorite political issue was a covid poster barging into the war thread and being like "does anyone know if there is going to be a huge covid outbreak on the front lines" or some poo poo

he ruled lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FirstnameLastname posted:

like, that's not the right tone for a thread about a live war. the posts joking about russian military rape and poo poo are why i stopped posting in it. it's dehumanizing and loving gross.
I reported that post, nothing happened; the same poster was also asking the thread if they thought any cannibalism was happening on the front, and it wasn't the first time that they'd asked that.

The last time I skimmed the thread I saw like four or five posts about Russian troops getting turned into sausage because they were given sausages for enlisting.

acting like there's nothing wrong with that at all is loving insane

Yeah it's not just goreposting necessarily, the whole thread has a really uncomfortably cavalier tone about the whole thing. And I'm not going to look up the posts because I'm lazy but I'm pretty sure I saw somebody say something like posting memes of Putin looking like a monkey is fighting Russian propaganda and contributing to the war effort which is insane

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You're out of your drat mind.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
RUSSIA: *invades Ukraine*
COVID guy: Getting some real "COVID" vibes from this

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Sally posted:

discussing the plAIDStonic theory of forms

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's also this pretend-burden of "If I don't immediately look at the carnage wrought by this war, then it's all for nothing"

There was someone saying "not everyone has the privilege to avoid watching footage of gruesome death" like it's some moral and civic duty to watch civilians being tortured to death or POWs having their head exploded with a sledgehammer, literally comparing people discouraging seeking out and sharing that media to covering up footage of concentration camps and the Holocaust
like, no one in that thread is an international war crime investigator, seeing that stuff does not change anything, no one is ever going to ask you for details that only you have. it's just fuckin your brain up and nothing else. When I said that it wasn't good to seek stuff like that out, in response to someones devil's advocate argument that "if it makes you feel good to watch, wouldn't that mean it's good?"I got an 18hr probation for "pearl clutching moralist bullshit interforum drama"

and then it's intermixed little winknudge "jokes" like this post I'm linking joking about how how Putin is going to be in charge of the Wagner homosexual prisoner Literal Rape-War Slave division, which is a real thing and they are in Ukraine right now being raped and then forced to march into machine gun fire pretty much

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4016636&pagenumber=450&perpage=40&highlight=cock,division#post529963300

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1599360352403087360

could you find the post? id want to send it to the Special Admin Email to see if anything could get done about it (lmao)

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
It's a GI Joe/Cobra situation with clear cut white hats and black hats, so as long as you're on the white hat side you can indulge in whatever vicious impulses you'd regularly keep in check because gently caress those guys, right?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

like, no one in that thread is an international war crime investigator, seeing that stuff does not change anything, no one is ever going to ask you for details that only you have. it's just fuckin your brain up and nothing else.

Like, this privilege argument is completely horseshit in terms of a GBS thread. I'm a military historian. I study war for a living. I very rarely (bordering on never) have to spend hours combing through footage of men being blown up to do my job, such as it is. And if I did happen to have to look at a bunch of footage of atrocities committed during a war I wouldn't be discussing it in GBS, I'd be discussing it with other trained historians and/or my therapist.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I do miss the saga thread. it was nice seeing people from literally all over the forum sharing common interests, and honestly it was nice seeing that other people were feeling pretty uncomfortable with the prevalence of cracked out internet poisoning threads like the deviantart or ukraine thread.

the fyad newbie contest was also pretty fun to watch even though I'm not a fyad poster :)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Not everyone has the privilege of not having their account nuked off the face of the forums and by god do I wish that included the war cheerleaders.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Larry Parrish posted:

This is a particularly weird internet derangement that happens about a lot of things. If you aren't talking about Ukraine/COVID/TRUMP/Free coinage of silver 24/7/365 you must not have informed views or feelings about them. I have strong opinions about Russia's invasion of Ukraine but I don't want to spend all my time arguing about it or discussing it on the internet because it will have practically no effect on anything. My posts can't turn back Russian imperialism or end the war, and if they could I'd be loving scared because that's a loving batshit world to live in.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

My posts can't turn back Russian imperialism or end the war, and if they could I'd be loving scared because that's a loving batshit world to live in.

"The Secret" for Discord addicts

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ah my god what happened! I just took a day off to decompress!

Also I found out the beach and chasm place i am going for the weekend will potentially have zero Internet. Welp! I can't moderate! My friends are pleased.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Open message to the probable mods that are reading silently: regardless of what shitstirrers like me are saying, if you feel like you cant say or do anything because of potential backbiting from your own team, get out. This forum doesnt have to be your life, you dont get paid, you dont have to deal with this poo poo. Just get the gently caress out, man.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is a particularly weird internet derangement that happens about a lot of things. If you aren't talking about Ukraine/COVID/TRUMP/Free coinage of silver 24/7/365 you must not have informed views or feelings about them. I have strong opinions about Russia's invasion of Ukraine but I don't want to spend all my time arguing about it or discussing it on the internet because it will have practically no effect on anything. My posts can't turn back Russian imperialism or end the war, and if they could I'd be loving scared because that's a loving batshit world to live in.
also even if i wanted to post about it online i would literally rather do it on twitter than something awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Ah my god what happened! I just took a day off to decompress!

Also I found out the beach and chasm place i am going for the weekend will potentially have zero Internet. Welp! I can't moderate! My friends are pleased.

people kept posting about the things they are going to keep posting about no matter how many threads or users get blitzed until they close the entire site down or perma every member