Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The fact that they kept it at 2x in sacred stones and por makes me think it wasn't them thinking Americans couldn't handle it, but just something they thought would make the series better than decided on in between the Japanese and English releases of fe7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it was 3x in sacred stones

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

it was 3x in sacred stones

Doesn't it depend on the instance? I recall bishop slayer skill being 3x and everything else being 2x.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

weapon effectiveness was x2 in both the jp and eng versions of fe9

fe7 was the one where it got reduced to 2x in localization

Huh, legit thought that was another NA thing like it was in 7

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Thankfully triple effectiveness returns in RD and it feels really good to completely atomize a flier in that game with a crossbow

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh it's just the legendary weapons which are specifically 2x

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

ROFL Octopus posted:

Thankfully triple effectiveness returns in RD and it feels really good to completely atomize a flier in that game with a crossbow

Warrior Anna (in Engage) one shotting late game wyvern knights is the one thing that keeps me from hating her as a unit. Felt great.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Oh it's just the legendary weapons which are specifically 2x

Yeah, I guess they didn't want you to have a bunch of 45-60 effective might weapons against most late game enemies, the cowards.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they probably made them 2x instead of 3x just to make it so you didnt one round formotiis with literally everyone

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Veryslightlymad posted:

That's the bow knight skill.

Edit
And I agree, it kinda sucks!

Yeah, the only real case use I can think of for the Bow Knight skill is if you've got axes as their secondary weapon and you wanna chuck a tomahawk at something that's already in range. And even that's not likely to happen because tomahawks require B rank proficiency and Bow Knights cap at C rank on their secondary weapon unless you have the innate talent, which means your Bow Knight would have to be either Vander, Boucheron, Jade, Rosado or Saphir.

And even then you would probably still be better off giving the tomahawk to a dedicated Axe using class instead.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The 2x/3x split also made a return in 3H, where naturally effective weapons* tripled might, but combat arts that did effective damage only doubled it.

*The mace was a specific exception iirc, but I won't swear to it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How hard is it to set up the game on pc? After 2 runs on the switch I'd love to have a modded game run (but also my dlc)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I gave Tomahawk to my Kagetsu wyvern rider because Wyvern gets B rank axes for some reason lol

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Game done on Hard Classic. Game very good though the plot was hilariously silly and dumb in the last two chapters. Panette with Ike Engage and a 100% crit rate literally mashed the final boss into paste and then Goldmary stole the final blow from with a chain attack proc which is the most in character thing possible.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Tae posted:

I gave Tomahawk to my Kagetsu wyvern rider because Wyvern gets B rank axes for some reason lol

Wyverns get B in both weapon combinations you pick.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Is there a bonus for engravings matching the wielders emblem ring? It feels like there should.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, the only real case use I can think of for the Bow Knight skill is if you've got axes as their secondary weapon and you wanna chuck a tomahawk at something that's already in range. And even that's not likely to happen because tomahawks require B rank proficiency and Bow Knights cap at C rank on their secondary weapon unless you have the innate talent, which means your Bow Knight would have to be either Vander, Boucheron, Jade, Rosado or Saphir.

And even then you would probably still be better off giving the tomahawk to a dedicated Axe using class instead.

You could entrap a character, so your Bow Knight doesn't have to move, but that's so far on the edge of edge case, it's being sliced in half.

Edit
Plus you'd have to get Entrap to work, first.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Is there a bonus for engravings matching the wielders emblem ring? It feels like there should.

Nope, they're totally separate.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You match the Ike Engraving to the Hector Engage for a free +8 attack on whatever the hell.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is probably not the best use of Lucina but it's kind of fun putting her on Seadall. He's going to be near the front lines all the time so giving him Lucina lets him suddenly contribute really meaningful damage through constant chain attacks. Plus he's a Qi Adept so he gets a 100% activation rate for Bonded Shield (with the major downside that this requires him not to dance on his turn, which is why I'm guessing this isn't a great use of Lucina).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I kept Lucina on Framme, generally you're not going to see much miss out of like putting Lucina on a chain attacker because 100% bond shield is just way too strong.

Seadal probably only needs like Roy if you really, really need insurance but don't have the SP to buy hold out.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Lucina should absolutely be on a flier, provided you have enough fliers to take advantage. 100% Bond Shield is way more important when arrows and wind magic are in the picture, so having Lucina in your pocket makes them way more able to operate as an independent squad. Plus, Parthia is a high-attack bow perfect for shooting down enemy fliers, and Dual Assist working off of "could this unit reach the enemy" is a natural fit with flier movement. It's about as perfect a use case for the ring as you can get.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Harrow posted:

This is probably not the best use of Lucina but it's kind of fun putting her on Seadall. He's going to be near the front lines all the time so giving him Lucina lets him suddenly contribute really meaningful damage through constant chain attacks. Plus he's a Qi Adept so he gets a 100% activation rate for Bonded Shield (with the major downside that this requires him not to dance on his turn, which is why I'm guessing this isn't a great use of Lucina).

I should try this. I frequently have Sigurd on Seadall, and I imagine the Bonded shield emergency button probably has slightly better use than Overrun.

And I wouldn't be quick to dismiss it as worse than a dancer. What other unit can perfectly defend four units at the same time? Why would a second action on some rando be better than when you need that specific thing.

Dancers short circuit people's logical reasoning faculties. Sometimes two different things is far better than two of your best.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Usually not though. One god unit has always been better in Fire Emblem than two good units.

Seadall is even more nuts than most dancers since Byleth exists and breaks your action economy even further. Also his free access to Canter when you usually have to jump through some hoops for the Knight Ring.

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 23, 2023

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Most games don't let you put Canter on your dancer for basically free

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

I'm using Lucina on Wyvern Alear in my Maddening run and it seems pretty good, maybe even worth giving up the dragon Corrin bonuses for. Bonded shield is nasty when Alear also gets a shitton of avoid from having high supports with the fliers around them as part of that other Lucina skill. When they see 0 hit on Alear they'll charge in and suicide on Ivy, Kagetsu, Panette or whatever other flier I've got for no damage.

Flier Emblem continues to be supreme.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

RevolverDivider posted:

Usually not though. One god unit has always been better in Fire Emblem than two good units.

Seadall is even more nuts then most dancers since Byleth exists and breaks your action economy even further.

I'll cop to "sometimes that extra turn is as many as like, six extra turns" but I have played a lot of these games on randomizers and a hearty "meh" to the notion of truly god units in general, but specifically needing a dancer because exactly one guy needs two actions in specific.

Getting an extra charge of healing, I can cop. Getting a spell and a heal from a big sage.... The power of the dancer is in increased versatility. You have the power unit or any other unit twice.

But making the dancer themselves into a power unit doesn't somehow make them worse. Having access to more viable options is never worse. Even if you ultimately never really use it.

Edit
I misrepresented myself a bit by saying "a lot of games", when it would be more accurate to say I have played the games that I have played a lot.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 23, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Most games don't let you put Canter on your dancer for basically free
there are like 3 other games in the series that let you do this

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Some games just let them have canter from the beginning.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the one hand, it was neat to discover that after you s-rank someone, they give you a keepsake of their own that goes in or on Alear's bedroom drawer. I thought that was a very nice touch in Three Hopes, because sometimes it told you what the other character valued or thought an appropriately sentimental gift.

Kind of a pity that most of Engage's are just part of the character's attire for you to keep when they're off duty, like Ivy's fascinator and Etie's tiara. Ones that actually show some sentiment and exploration of the character, like Citrinne's, seem to be a distinct minority.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Dancers short circuit people's logical reasoning faculties. Sometimes two different things is far better than two of your best.

Thing is though that by the time you get Seadall you’re already running out of niches not already covered by at least two units. And by the time of the last third of the game where you’re fielding 14 units you definitely have every niche covered by the first 12 unless you have some really wonky team composition. It’s part of why so many profile cards have Veyle and Mauvier as the last two units, Since they come classed as somewhat unique support units so don’t have compete with “Oh I already have two dodgy guys” or whatever. Veyle let’s you have a second dancer who casts rally spectrum or vein setter, and Mauvier functions as a high movement staff bot who won’t get one shot by endgame enemies (I’m aware he’s actually real good in other classes) and you can never have to many people casting physic.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It's also probably because by the time those two slots opened up, every other character you have is severely under leveled

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

Which ones, out of curiosity?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

Which ones, out of curiosity?

PoR and RD have it as an innate part of the Heron kit and Geneology allows it with the Knight Ring on anyone iirc.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lucina goes on a unit with daggers as support attacks proc poison.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Endorph posted:

Yes, implying that in 12/16 you can not. Those 4 are outliers that allow your dancer to be much more flexible than the rest so this one being one of that minority makes it notable.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
lucina goes on your weakest combat unit cause she doesn't really scale with unit quality at all

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

FoolyCharged posted:

Yes, implying that in 12/16 you can not. Those 4 are outliers that allow your dancer to be much more flexible than the rest so this one being one of that minority makes it notable.

Five! Fetters of Dromi on your dancer in Three Houses!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Also of note is that the previous Canto dancers all had a cost for it. In 4 giving your dancer the ring meant no one else could hold it, and in the radiant games herons only had Canto when transformed.

Now granted it was pretty easy to keep them transformed, so they're probably the strongest dancers in the series, but seadall is notable for for getting Canto all the time and not at the expense of much else(I can't really argue for any skills before it anyways)

E: I stand corrected! Fitters has the same limitation as the knight ring. Actually, now that I think of it, do the herons get Canto when transformed or am I just thinking that way because I gave reyson the knight ring?

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

In sum,

"Most games don't let you put Canter on your dancer for basically free"

is an accurate and factual statement.

Glad we've come to this conclusion.