Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Today I got my raise which clearly shows the percentage as 2.19% of the total base.

Then I did a cursory google search and found out that inflation was 6.5% in 2022.

That can't be right. That would mean I'm making.... less money? The absolute gently caress? Someone get me my manager's manager.

sort of, inflation is not the same across all goods and services

for example, your 2023 salary might be able to buy less food and rent, but you can probably get more bang for buck in the form of Funko pops and cheap electronics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Nastier Nate posted:

sort of, inflation is not the same across all goods and services

for example, your 2023 salary might be able to buy less food and rent, but you can probably get more bang for buck in the form of Funko pops and cheap electronics

Most importantly, if you own property with a fixed-rate mortgage that's a big chunk of outgoings not affected by inflation, and it's actually appreciating in value (albeit in a way that's usually not especially useful in your day-to-day life cause you have to live somewhere).

Of course, I'm not bringing that into the conversation when I'm bitching to management about my crap-rear end salary increment

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Most importantly, if you own property with a fixed-rate mortgage that's a big chunk of outgoings not affected by inflation, and it's actually appreciating in value (albeit in a way that's usually not especially useful in your day-to-day life cause you have to live somewhere).

Of course, I'm not bringing that into the conversation when I'm bitching to management about my crap-rear end salary increment

I feel like you can never excessively remind everyone that a few percent on a 30 year mortgage rate dramatically changes the affordability of a house’s monthly payment. like on a 30 year fixed changing from 4% to 6% is a 25% increase in the monthly payment. 4% to 8% is 53%.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

hobbesmaster posted:

I feel like you can never excessively remind everyone that a few percent on a 30 year mortgage rate dramatically changes the affordability of a house’s monthly payment. like on a 30 year fixed changing from 4% to 6% is a 25% increase in the monthly payment. 4% to 8% is 53%.

drat looks like I really gotta give up even more avocado toast if I ever wanna own a home lmao

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
All mortgages should be 300% a day

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Real hurthling! posted:

isnt golden dawn a greek fash org?
yes but it's not that one

the original hermetic order of the golden dawn was 19th century England, the revival hermetic order of the golden dawn, inc (a llc) was 1977, the greek fascists started in 2009

in summary they stole from aleister crowley and he's gonna magick their asses

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

All mortgages should be 300% a day

Is the communism that's coming to confiscate my toothbrush

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

BonHair posted:

Please do the math at whatever average salary and present it to management for comments, it'll be fun

Hmm, you could probably arm everyone for less ..

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Tiggum posted:

If you mean this game you can get it on PC, if that's of any use to you.

Thanks! But I found the APK for Android :)

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm in a new role at my job that is non-union but I leveled with my coworker and told him my salary and he's like "wow that's way more than i make."

dude works super hard and just gets dicked

Popoto posted:

you did good
Confirm. I used to work at one of the biggest craft breweries in the country and openly told my salary to a work buddy who’d been there for 3 more years than I had and was still hourly. Admittedly my pay was dog poo poo, but his was that much worse.

He had a chat with our boss and got his pay increased, which made my boss mad at me. Like some lovely X-er “I don’t know why you younger people discuss salary, it’s wrong” poo poo which :lol::lol: I’m open about it because I know we’re all getting hosed over, you stupid piece of poo poo.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

HootTheOwl posted:

They're the same symbols and robes!
You ever see a master's+ class graduate?

academic robes are boring and not at all celestial

also while i will admit the runes put forth by the dark art of ochem are very pretty, they just make me vaguely mad because they make me think of taking ochem

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
A-B-C: Always Be Compensation-disclosing.

Keeping that poo poo secret only helps your employers.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
get in the pod, and eat the bugs

imagine ripping rear end in there

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

How much work time do you think is lost reenacting Spock's death in Wrath of Khan?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Too big. What do you think this is, a luxury apartment?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1628948906657878016
https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1628948919333040129
https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1628948925297135616
https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1628948937494384640

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
There's a similar thing with an indian place near me, it's just the next step in the whole google and and yelp/door dash SEO poo poo where they put their auto generated poo poo that takes a fee ahead of the real restaurant contact info.

It's weird, the one indian place that's across the street from me had just their site, then one fake site, and two, to the point now that there are 3 fake sites that all appear before their real one.

E:I like that Doctorow says as much in his thread, that really this is just the next step in copying those other sites in rentseeking

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 05:12 on Feb 24, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Coolness Averted posted:

There's a similar thing with an indian place near me, it's just the next step in the whole google and and yelp/door dash SEO poo poo where they put their auto generated poo poo that takes a fee ahead of the real restaurant contact info.

It's weird, the one indian place that's across the street from me had just their site, then one fake site, and two, to the point now that there are 3 fake sites that all appear before their real one.

E:I like that Doctorow says as much in his thread, that really this is just the next step in copying those other sites in rentseeking

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

yes but it's not that one

the original hermetic order of the golden dawn was 19th century England, the revival hermetic order of the golden dawn, inc (a llc) was 1977, the greek fascists started in 2009

in summary they stole from aleister crowley and he's gonna magick their asses

Crowley would never let someone else’s rear end be magicked.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

lol

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

real heros of this story are the restaurant who takes the time to call people and re-enter their order at the correct, lower price. they don't have to give a poo poo, unless the scammers are prone to chargebacks to eke out that last little bit of profit

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

A-B-C: Always Be Compensation-disclosing.

Keeping that poo poo secret only helps your employers.

I work in the kind of consulting where job security is basically 110%. Among the consultants, especially the younger ones, compensation is discussed very openly, which has generated some great raises, and taught young women to ask for big bucks. The support staff is less open, and also paid less from what I've heard.

So yeah, always discuss salary and also if you went in to discuss compensation and your boss didn't look unhappy afterwards, you asked for too little.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Harik posted:

real heros of this story are the restaurant who takes the time to call people and re-enter their order at the correct, lower price. they don't have to give a poo poo, unless the scammers are prone to chargebacks to eke out that last little bit of profit

Also the guy in the replies who used whois to show that this is most likely a scam being run out of a UC Berkeley frathouse that they could probably get expelled for, lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Why would they get expelled? They've got future management written all over them

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why would they get expelled? They've got future management written all over them

getting caught is considered a faux pas

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
It's not a frat. It's a historic LGBT co-op.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GotLag posted:

getting caught is considered a faux pas

Wow, and people say things haven't changed

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Zisky posted:

In that case it's just rainbow capitalism

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Zisky posted:

Be gay do crimes keeps disappointing. Maybe we should specify what kind of crimes you should do

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BonHair posted:

Be gay do crimes keeps disappointing. Maybe we should specify what kind of crimes you should do

Large scale industrial sabotage

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Where I'm from we just call this door dash.
It pisses me off that so many companies have just given in and let the ubereats-es of the world handle the ordering anyways.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

just google the loving restaurant, their phone number is in the first part of the listing

most people's problems with google search are due to incompetence and also run a loving adblocker you luddite

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

boar guy posted:

just google the loving restaurant, their phone number is in the first part of the listing

most people's problems with google search are due to incompetence and also run a loving adblocker you luddite

I don't want to loving call someone on the loving phone, what is wrong with you

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i dunno when we call the ramen place directly its like $40 but when we order it from doordash or whatever its like $65 for the same food before delivery fees and stuff. they even say 'just call the store man'

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

an entire industry built on the backs of an underclass of precarious piece work contractors because people are so socially maladjusted and alienated they won't use the phone they're otherwise glued to to order some gyros

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

boar guy posted:

i dunno when we call the ramen place directly its like $40 but when we order it from doordash or whatever its like $65 for the same food before delivery fees and stuff. they even say 'just call the store man'

This is ageism against millennials and gen z

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Abner Assington posted:

Confirm. I used to work at one of the biggest craft breweries in the country and openly told my salary to a work buddy who’d been there for 3 more years than I had and was still hourly. Admittedly my pay was dog poo poo, but his was that much worse.

He had a chat with our boss and got his pay increased, which made my boss mad at me. Like some lovely X-er “I don’t know why you younger people discuss salary, it’s wrong” poo poo which :lol::lol: I’m open about it because I know we’re all getting hosed over, you stupid piece of poo poo.

lol I worked with a woman who did the same job as I did (technically anyway, my job was slightly different but whatever) she has a phd and I don't but we started at different salary ranges, so I told her how much I made (which was significantly more). a week or so later there was a division wide email that said although it's not illegal to discuss salary you still shouldn't do it. she eventually quit and found a better job.

when I became a supervisor they had to bump up my pay because I see how much all the people that I "supervise" (I do HR poo poo that's about it) make. since they all have masters or phds their pay is higher and they didn't want me to get mad and leave.

ABC is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

tokin opposition posted:

This is ageism against millennials and gen z

Good