Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Al! posted:

i used to live in a brownstone next to a hole where the other brownstones had been demolished and they had to bolt it upright with steel girders. i think they ended up removing the girders when they filled the hole with gentrification but id moved out years after tgat

Better yet the city housing authority could not do jack poo poo to preserve the remaining row house, so the now exposed interior brick crumbles. Tear down that crumbling home and repeat until the block is empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
tori buy the crumbling brownstone

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

a realtor I talked to yesterday said that there are properties sitting on the market for hundreds of days around here without moving the price an inch, with zero consideration for high rates. People and investors just sitting on poo poo forever because I guess they can eat the expense. idk

There are never enough people who need to sell. People keep insisting that the market can't lock up because there are always people who have to move but, like, poo poo needs to be real loving dire to sell at a loss and double your APR to get into a new home. You aren't taking a job offer that pays 10% more or whatever if that's the cost, so you'll just stick with your lovely job instead. Hell, I know a divorced couple who lived together for four years because selling was too expensive and that was long before everything went completely off the rails.

The worse this environment gets, the more sellers are going to dig in, because the alternative in a lot of cases means either getting thrown off the property ladder or at least getting knocked down a few more rungs.

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

I called my bank to get preapproved for that house in case we look at it and like it and they approved me for way way way more than HUD says I can afford and offered a bridge loan for downpayments

if this isn't a bubble nothing is, that's an exact repeat of poo poo that was happening in 2008

SideEffectShit has issued a correction as of 03:28 on Feb 23, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
House flippers might be the exception in terms of needing to sell now now now, but a ton of hard money loans ending in foreclosures still won't put those homes back on the market at low costs and will move a lot of properties to investors who can afford to sit on them indefinitely

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

a realtor I talked to yesterday said that there are properties sitting on the market for hundreds of days around here without moving the price an inch, with zero consideration for high rates. People and investors just sitting on poo poo forever because I guess they can eat the expense. idk

unexplainable. its as if they are missing Lack

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

not to mention it can still cost more to rent which is really really hosed up. meaning even if they bought recently they can hand it over to a property manager and generate a revenue stream instead of selling.

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
2009: people watching their life's work evaporate :sludgepal:

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

Ammanas posted:

California just announced a $900 million aid grant to 'tackle' homelessness by, among other things, buying overpriced lovely tiny homes.

how much would it cost to nationalize housing in california? 1 trillion? wells fargo has over 2 trillion in assets alone!

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
the luxury of lifelong nearly free perfect-storage for nearly forever

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

not to mention it can still cost more to rent which is really really hosed up.

right now it costs more to rent a house than it does to own a home bought two years ago AND finance a new car

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the apartment we were renting ( 2/2 1100 sf) while trying to buy a house after selling our condo has fluctuated up and down between 2700 a month to 4000 twice in the last year and a half. it’s up near 4000 again but with more than two months free at the start.

The algorithm is a real son of a bitch. it’s amazing that renting is still worse.

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
renting is much worse than owning

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SideEffectShit posted:

renting is much worse than owning

Hey can I borrow a million dollars? I probably can't pay you back but I'll my best basically.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
California AB 2053

This bill would enact the Social Housing Act and would create the California Housing Authority, as an independent state body, the mission of which would be to produce and acquire social housing developments for the purpose of eliminating the gap between housing production and regional housing needs assessment targets, as specified. The bill would prescribe a definition of social housing that would describe, in addition to housing owned by the authority, housing owned by other entities, as specified, provided that all social housing developed by the authority would be owned by the authority.

opposed by... wait this can't be true... something called "Housing Is A Human Right"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the idea that the supply of houses is at all responsible for this mess is a nice indicator that you can disregard whatever else a person's thoughts are

two houses on my block in a village of 2000 people are full time airbnbs

two others are second homes

idk what else to fuckkin tell people, commodity housing is fundamentally unsustainable

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

renting is great ive left a litany of destroyed apartments in my wake

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I live in a 1.4 square mile neighborhood, not particularly popular or close to anything that is. There are 49 airbnbs in my neighborhood.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

soon, all will be made new

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I live in a 1.4 square mile neighborhood, not particularly popular or close to anything that is. There are 49 airbnbs in my neighborhood.

One person in my town owns 79 air bnbs

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the idea that the supply of houses is at all responsible for this mess is a nice indicator that you can disregard whatever else a person's thoughts are

two houses on my block in a village of 2000 people are full time airbnbs

two others are second homes

idk what else to fuckkin tell people, commodity housing is fundamentally unsustainable

i think the supply has something to do with it yes

especially when it's restricted to only ever building single family homes and no density anywhere is ever allowed as infill

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

man i bet the wrong person could really gently caress up an airbnb property in a way in which nobody would even notice for months until a septic tank starts backing up condoms into the driveway

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

i am harry posted:

One person in my town owns 79 air bnbs

I hope they used ARM loans on all of them and are bankrupted as rates go up

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

dropping a 2000 flushes in my airbnb's hot water tank

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

I hope they used ARM loans on all of them and are bankrupted as rates go up

oh man thats way too kind i hope more heinous poo poo for that dude subconsciously without even registering a thought...but when i devote my full conscious mind to his suffering...

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The last place i rented started out great. It had an amazing rooftop pool, and rent was reasonable. Then a new investor bought the place and started listing vacant units on airbnb. Even worse, they pretty much advertised it as "come throw your pool party here." Suddenly on weekends there would be groups of 40 people on the pool with speakers. At one point a fight between party goers led to a shooting. Most long term residents left or were in the process of leaving. But rent for a 2 bedroom was like 1800 and rates for 1 bedroom places on airbnb was like 250. From their perspective residents leaving was actually profitable.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

joepinetree posted:

The last place i rented started out great. It had an amazing rooftop pool, and rent was reasonable. Then a new investor bought the place and started listing vacant units on airbnb. Even worse, they pretty much advertised it as "come throw your pool party here." Suddenly on weekends there would be groups of 40 people on the pool with speakers. At one point a fight between party goers led to a shooting. Most long term residents left or were in the process of leaving. But rent for a 2 bedroom was like 1800 and rates for 1 bedroom places on airbnb was like 250. From their perspective residents leaving was actually profitable.

My old landlord in Philly did something similar. My previously quiet 4-unit building suddenly had two airbnb units which were used for huge all-night parties every weekend. After we left, the building became all airbnb's and the parties were starting to drive homeowners on the block away.

Apr 7, 2003

Something similar here happened on the north side here, airbnb party house turned into the scene of a mass shooting because one guy accidentally discharged his gun into the ceiling and every good-guy-with-a-gun there pulled theirs out too and started blasting.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
He's a real shitbag. Two doors down from my building was an old lady who had lived her entire adult life on the block and resisted selling out to this guy, so he bought the vacant rowhouse next to hers, sloppily tore it down to damage her house, and left the interior walls exposed to deteriorate.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've only seen the most tepid regulations put on short-term rentals too. It's a massive problem, but it makes powerful people a lot of money, so what can we do

Apr 7, 2003

Since I contacted my bank for a pre-approval letter on Wednesday I've been getting loving demolished by lender calls, one or two an hour during the day, what the gently caress

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

In the dark future of America, ALL rentals are short term rentals. Your lease is week by week, $500/wk to be paid every Monday

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

i am harry posted:

right now it costs more to rent a house than it does to own a home bought two years ago AND finance a new car

lol the younger you are the less a chance of future home/work stability, unless you are lucky/get it through inheritance/nepotism/marry up/etc.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

coming soon to a flip listing near you

Apr 7, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

In the dark future of America, ALL rentals are short term rentals. Your lease is week by week, $500/wk to be paid every Monday

i'm pretty sure this is actually how rent is or was done in the UK?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

coming soon to a flip listing near you

no

no!!!!!!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

i'm pretty sure this is actually how rent is or was done in the UK?

Surely they still sign yearlong leases though?

There was a time in my life where a month-to-month lease that wasn't way more expensive per month than a year lease would have been nice (working only a few months in a different state) but I'd probably say turning everyone's renting situation into a rolling airbnb would probably be worse. The short-term rental situation for folks who actually need short-term rentals is pretty dire, I lived out of a hotel for 2 months which sucked and was way more expensive than it ought to have been (still cheaper than every other option though).

Apr 7, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

Surely they still sign yearlong leases though?

https://news.yahoo.com/average-rent-london-extreme-553-per-week-092213427.html

not sure about the yearly lease thing, but back in the day if you rented you had a coin-operated power meter. It'd run up to whatever you put in, like a laundromat dryer. If you wanted more power you had to go outside and plunk some cash in. What a hosed up country.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

https://news.yahoo.com/average-rent-london-extreme-553-per-week-092213427.html

not sure about the yearly lease thing, but back in the day if you rented you had a coin-operated power meter. It'd run up to whatever you put in, like a laundromat dryer. If you wanted more power you had to go outside and plunk some cash in. What a hosed up country.

that sounds like something you'd do living in a blade runner pod apartment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhm1gOq0G9k