Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Chillgamesh posted:

Zenos literally was raised by a dude who was forced on pain of death to teach him swordsmanship but allowed to beat him when he hosed up technique

And also didn't actually even try to teach him, just use him as a beating stick whilst Varis watched uncaringly because Varis already believed Zenos to be a broken monster as a child/pre-teen/teenager. The trainer literally didn't bother to give Zenos any practical explanations, just attacked him with techniques Zenos could never hope to emulate since they were aetheric in nature.

Said teacher was also an assassin trying to get close to the Emperor to kill him. Zenos eventually worked out how to use aetheric techniques of this master (via stabbing himself with a crystal in the palm he was using to hold the sword, and the guy proceeded to try and kill Zenos, only for Zenos to slay him in turn.

That's where Zenos interest in the hunt and fighting to the death as the only method of feeling alive comes from.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fivemarks posted:

I've never bought the whole "Varis and Zenos are victims of generational abuse" thing, to be honest. Varis, I can believe more, but Zenos? Saying Zenos is a victim and was made who he was by abuse, based on what I know of his upbringing, is like saying that that kid in Texas who ran over a bunch of cyclists while trying to roll coal over them is a victim of his upbringing.

I mean they are it just doesn't justify what they do it just helps explain part of why they're like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fivemarks posted:

I've never bought the whole "Varis and Zenos are victims of generational abuse" thing, to be honest. Varis, I can believe more, but Zenos? Saying Zenos is a victim and was made who he was by abuse, based on what I know of his upbringing, is like saying that that kid in Texas who ran over a bunch of cyclists while trying to roll coal over them is a victim of his upbringing.

Children who are raised by abusive and cruel parents and indoctrinated in terrible idealology are still victims even if they grow up to be terrible themselves.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
man,
basic relativity is hard.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Fivemarks posted:

Someone can still be a victim of abuse but still do horrible, awful things of their own volition; both things can be true. You just actually have to weigh those things.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zeruel posted:

man,
basic relativity is hard.

It's the hardest one. They get progressively easier. I remember my static had more trouble with the intermission mechanics like the apocalypses.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I suppose I misspoke. While they can absolutely be victims of abuse, when I say "I don't buy that they're victims", I mean that to be "I don't buy the idea that people put forwards that Varis and Zenos and the Garlean Empire are not responsible for their actions."

Zenos and Varis are both victims of continuing generational abuse, like Ramses in the Prince of Egypt, and while that makes them sympathetic and gives their motives some sense, it doesn't, as I've seen plenty of people do, justify what they do.

I don't like to give them the whole "Yes they're victims too" because I don't want to give people who think they can 'fix' Zenos or think that he's not at fault for his actions any ammunition.

Edit: I also kinda feel this way about Fandaniel, Yugiri, and Gaius. Where I can totally see why they are who they are and did what they did (Except in Fandaniel's case, that's just a case of clinical depression being untreated), but that doesn't justify any of the poo poo they did despite the loud claims of people that it does.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 24, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You have to separate the narrative challenge of the WoL for Zenos from the mechanical one.

Yes when you actually fight him you have to dodge everything he does or get one shot and it takes an hour and a half, then he wins in the end anyway. But that's not what's happening in the story.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Aphrodite posted:

You have to separate the narrative challenge of the WoL for Zenos from the mechanical one.

Yes when you actually fight him you have to dodge everything he does or get one shot and it takes an hour and a half, then he wins in the end anyway. But that's not what's happening in the story.

Its what it feels like when you try to do roleplay and you get made fun of and belittled by your community because the only male characters they want are people playing G'raha, Zenos, Fannypackiel, and Gaius. Yeah they're good characterrs, but you end up feeling resentful towards them after a certain point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fivemarks posted:

Its what it feels like when you try to do roleplay and you get made fun of and belittled by your community because the only male characters they want are people playing G'raha, Zenos, Fannypackiel, and Gaius. Yeah they're good characterrs, but you end up feeling resentful towards them after a certain point.

I have a ton of friends who RP and have litetally never heard this.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I think they meant roleplay in the sense of all those wonderful 18+ café pf ads

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

I have a ton of friends who RP and have litetally never heard this.

It's getting better now that I'm fully out of the community that put that evil on me! Better now that I can do RP without being told that my character is nice but he's not a canon character so he isn't good enough.

Sentient Data posted:

I think they meant roleplay in the sense of all those wonderful 18+ café pf ads

Those places seem like a good way to get banned from FFXIV.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Resistance weapon down. All I got left is one more step for Lux, Mandeville once I'm done with MSQ, and that should be all the monk fists.

Happy to be free of Bozja.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Doomykins posted:

Is EW or Shinryuu the last possible second, because one is a bit later than the other and he's thrilled by that point, especially after the first two meetings.

Shinryu, because I was explaining this expansion by expansion.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thinking about getting into a BA learning party this afternoon. Finally cross that off my to-do list.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Thinking about getting into a BA learning party this afternoon. Finally cross that off my to-do list.

It is no lie the most fun I've had in the game. DRS was close but not quite

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
The problem with Zenos is that they gave him a scythe instead of letting him keep his hilariously amazing golf bag of katanas

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Golf bag of Scythes.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

It's fun. Having the equivalent of an airline captain calmly walking you through each poo poo wrecking maneuver is a surreal experience.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fivemarks posted:

Golf bag of Scythes.

Might've worked for katanas but Reaper needs the edgelord version of a PVC barrel full of garden tools out in the shed.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

That is exactly the face I would expect from a fish trying to ride a horse.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

BA is great, enjoy gamer

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Macaluso posted:

We're not, Zenos rules. Sorry haters

My hot take is that Zenos averages out to ok. Zenos was godawful in 4.0. A terrible antagonist who sucked any feeling out of every cutscene he was in minus like, 2 (the post assassination attempt one and his very last 2 after finishing the Ala Mhigo dungeon). He then got better after that because he spent more time being a ridiculous scenery chewer than a bored man in a chair and as a Caius Ballad fan I am all about the hammy scenery chewing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Failboattootoot posted:

My hot take is that Zenos averages out to ok. Zenos was godawful in 4.0. A terrible antagonist who sucked any feeling out of every cutscene he was in minus like, 2 (the post assassination attempt one and his very last 2 after finishing the Ala Mhigo dungeon). He then got better after that because he spent more time being a ridiculous scenery chewer than a bored man in a chair and as a Caius Ballad fan I am all about the hammy scenery chewing.

Hes great in 4.0.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zenos holds up a mirror to the average MMO player in the 4.0 speech, so of course some people who think they're better than that get offended when they're called out.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Zenos turns off your monitor

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Cleretic posted:

Shinryu, because I was explaining this expansion by expansion.

I'd say that the thrill and connection is firmly established by the second meeting then, let alone the fourth!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Everyone memes about la HEE, but no one says anything about the song just going hard for no reason like 2 minutes in.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Failboattootoot posted:

My hot take is that Zenos averages out to ok

Hmm wrong he averages out to he rules, like I said

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

Everyone memes about la HEE, but no one says anything about the song just going hard for no reason like 2 minutes in.

I mean, there is a reason it goes hard. Soken is incapable of not going hard.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

yeah it goes hard, that part fuckin rules on an otamatone

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Oh I fuckin' love that song, I just can't help but la HEE when the opportunity arises

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

"Do you know... LA HEE? I will play LA HEE. Musiku starto!"

2021 Fanfest was magical.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

quiggy posted:

Oh I fuckin' love that song, I just can't help but la HEE when the opportunity arises

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Forget Blitzball, can we get Spheda in FF14?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm still holding out for Sphere Break.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I wouldn't mind Tetra Master if it used the same cards as Triple Triad and we didn't have to grind out a second deck.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The level 100+ system will be the sphere grid

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Consummate Professional posted:

Finally, the return of cross-class skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Consummate Professional posted:

Let's not introduce character builds into the game, that's one of the big advantages it has over WoW.