Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ginette Reno posted:

The Devils getting Wilson would rule because it'd make the Rangers lose their minds and trade for more toughness again in the off season after he brains a few of their players. But Trouba might elbow some Devils in retaliation so that does need to be kept in mind.

I'd be here for that series though

Teams are going to go right after Hughes and Bratt in the playoffs. I'm sure the Devils know this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Trading any first rounder beyond 2024 would be insanity for the Penguins. They are about to embark on another multi-year run of top 3 picks just like 02-06, and absolutely must not even consider trading away the next Crosby or Malkin in a doomed effort to maybe reach the second round this year. It would be sheer stupidity. Just let it implode. It was a great run. It's over.

And what part of Hextall's draft history makes you feel confident that he's better equipped to draft than to trade for known players?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Didn't want to bring that up but it sure has been rolling around in my mind.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I sure wouldn't want to miss out on the next Sam Morin, Travis Sanheim, or Nolan Patrick

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And what part of Hextall's draft history makes you feel confident that he's better equipped to draft than to trade for known players?

Don't ask me I'd have fired him and Burke both a year ago.

e: at any rate it's an irrelevant question since Hextall will certainly not be around anymore by '25.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 24, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I, for one, hope instead of being boring and doing nothing or very very little that Hextall does something utterly insane. Being irritated now, well that's a constant, but being mad in the future, well that's priceless. What I'm saying is we need Tyler Myers and OEL.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

Nino would be a good fit if they strike out on Meier.

I like Garland a lot too and he's still quite good, and he's someone that fits Fitzgerald's definition of "someone who will be with this team in the future"

I don't even think he's particularly overpaid. Maybe $500k or $1m at most.

They did a deeper dive into him on the Athletic recently:

quote:

Just eyeing Garland’s rate states from previous years and it looks like his assists rate (1.1 assists per 60 minutes) has cratered from what it was in ’20-21 (1.6) and ’21-22 (1.7). This season, his linemates aren’t finishing as many of their chances, as the other four players on the ice with Garland have finished their shots at a 6.8 percent clip, down from the NHL average of 7.8 percent, which is what Garland was at through his career to this point (though his teammates topped 9 percent for each of the last two seasons).

So this partially explains how a player who scored 52 points in 77 games last season is on pace for closer to 40 this season. He’s seen a small decline in ice time at five-on-five, and his linemates aren’t putting the puck into the net as often. For me, that’s not enough to completely tank Garland’s overall value, as he’s a very strong player when he’s not scoring as well.

A criticism I get when I float Garland’s name as a potentially savvy acquisition target for a smart team is that Garland is listed at just 5-10 and 165 lbs. The funny thing is, Garland’s style of play is much more in line with a player six or seven inches taller: He doesn’t really shy away from contact, and he skates in straight lines to loose pucks. Garland is among the leaders on this Canucks roster in forcing the opposition into making turnovers, something I’ve been tracking this season. He’s forced 6.0 turnovers in the offensive zone per 60 minutes of play, which is fourth on the Canucks behind JT Miller, Dakota Joshua, and Curtis Lazar.

He could play with Hughes or Hischier and look great, or you start him with Palat and have the core of a really solid third line.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Also a problem is that Sullivan doesn't want Chychrun to replace Dumoulin, he wants him to replace Pettersson.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The Pens scouting has sucked for a while, the only two NHLers they’ve drafted since 2016 are Calen Addison and Filip Gustavsson, both traded. I realize they traded most of their 1sts, but not drafting an NHLer in 7 years is shameful

Arizona (reportedly) asking for the Pens ‘25&’26 1st rounders is genius, if the team is faltering now it’s going to be ugly in two years time

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I, for one, hope instead of being boring and doing nothing or very very little that Hextall does something utterly insane. Being irritated now, well that's a constant, but being mad in the future, well that's priceless. What I'm saying is we need Tyler Myers and OEL.

Yeah I want some chaos. Sell or do some big dumb adds.

I miss JR. He'd have traded every first round pick up to 2028 trying to fix this. It wouldn't be good but it woulda been entertaining

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

I like Garland a lot too and he's still quite good, and he's someone that fits Fitzgerald's definition of "someone who will be with this team in the future"

I don't even think he's particularly overpaid. Maybe $500k or $1m at most.

They did a deeper dive into him on the Athletic recently:

He could play with Hughes or Hischier and look great, or you start him with Palat and have the core of a really solid third line.

I like Garland too and NJ was interested in him last year at one point. He's a very nice player. My only doubt with him is actually the size/style of play because the Devils are a really soft team. Having someone like Meier or Nino who has some jam who teams think about loving with is an important piece that the team is missing up front.

But I would certainly be cool with Garland at the right price, I think he's a 55-60 point player in a top six role.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If the Pens had just like, kept Erod and McCann instead of Carter/Kapanen/McGinn they'd probably be completely fine.

Both of which everyone reasonable called them out for in here, just really bad asset management.

I like Garland too and NJ was interested in him last year at one point. He's a very nice player. My only doubt with him is actually the size/style of play because the Devils are a really soft team. Having someone like Meier or Nino who has some jam who teams think about loving with is an important piece that the team is missing up front.

But I would certainly be cool with Garland at the right price, I think he's a 55-60 point player in a top six role.

Garland's not soft at all though, he wins a ton of battles in the corner. He's not big but he has a ton of jam. Think a poor man's prime Zach Parise.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 24, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I look forward to a solid decade of terrible, unwatchable Penguins teams with no hope of improvement anytime soon. Every time a Canucks fan posts I think "oh man that's gonna be me, so much fun!!" Can't wait to join PAS in 2026 posting things like "sure we're gonna be terrible until at minimum 2032, but it was totally worth it to watch them get curbstomped by the Bruins back in '23. So great"

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 24, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

If the Pens had just like, kept Erod and McCann instead of Carter/Kapanen/McGinn they'd probably be completely fine.

Both of which everyone reasonable called them out for in here, just really bad asset management.

Garland's not soft at all though, he wins a ton of battles in the corner. He's not big but he has a ton of jam. Think a poor man's prime Zach Parise.

I suppose I shouldn't have said jam, Garland is a bit of a pest, but I'm talking more along the lines of, when teams take runs at Hughes and Hischier and Bratt, is there anyone in that lineup who can make teams think twice about doing that? Smith and Wood will scrap but they're not pieces of poo poo or anything. Nino plays like a loving monster last I checked.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah I look forward to a solid decade of terrible, unwatchable Penguins teams with no hope of improvement anytime soon. Every time a Canucks fan posts I think "oh man that's gonna be me, so much fun!!" Can't wait to join PAS in 2026 posting things like "sure we're gonna be terrible until at minimum 2032, but it was totally worth it to watch them get curbstomped by the Bruins back in '23. So great"

The Pens won 3 cups with this core. The Canucks won zero. There will always be the victory DVDs to watch.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

He is yours for free

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Nino is 30 and would have a $4m cap hit next year. Garland definitely fits more of what Fitz is looking for, he's turning 27 next month and is signed for 3 more years after this one to a $4.95m cap hit, and the Canucks could easily retain part of that if the Devils sweeten the pot a little bit. That would allow them to give Bratt what he wants and try to make a Meier-like splash in the off-season once they know what Bratt's contract is going to be. I'd be okay with that as well.

But also, give me Timo Meier now.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Getting in and somehow upsetting the Bruins is my Stanley Cup

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

I suppose I shouldn't have said jam, Garland is a bit of a pest, but I'm talking more along the lines of, when teams take runs at Hughes and Hischier and Bratt, is there anyone in that lineup who can make teams think twice about doing that? Smith and Wood will scrap but they're not pieces of poo poo or anything. Nino plays like a loving monster last I checked.

Ehhh I mean Meier and Nino aren't stopping anyone from doing that, I don't think there's really anyone who's going to stop it, the Devils are just going to have to play through it and do what they do best like Colorado did last year if they want to win.

Those three guys are all certainly upgrades for various parts of their F group though, so I'd be happy with any of them. I'd rather have like Garland than Henrique or Nino if the price is somewhat close.

ThinkTank posted:

He is yours for free

Hopefully the Canucks are thinking the same way. He's being vastly undervalued imo because they have so many other actual bad contracts.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nino plays like a loving monster last I checked.

He plays like a big wet fart in the playoffs so I wouldn't pin my hopes on him.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

Ehhh I mean Meier and Nino aren't stopping anyone from doing that, I don't think there's really anyone who's going to stop it, the Devils are just going to have to play through it and do what they do best like Colorado did last year if they want to win.

Those three guys are all certainly upgrades for various parts of their F group though, so I'd be happy with any of them. I'd rather have like Garland than Henrique or Nino if the price is somewhat close.

Yeah they're not Tom Wilson or anything. I worry about the softness going into the playoffs and I think it could burn them.

If the prices are similar for Henrique/Nino/Garland, I'd prefer Garland, especially with his age, term, and modest cap hit moving forward. But I would be very happy with Nino too.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Pungry posted:

The Pens won 3 cups with this core. The Canucks won zero. There will always be the victory DVDs to watch.

Yeah exactly, who gives a poo poo. The Devils squeezed in one more incredible run in 2012 after roughly 18 years of being a contender and it was absolutely worth the garbage of 2013-2022.

Actually I shouldn't even call 2013-2014ish garbage because that Jagr team loving owned and was just incredibly unlucky.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Garland is hardly a pest and plays a style entirely unlike anyone else in the league. He loves to spin off the half wall and yet can't make a pass to save his life. He's the rare winger that gets visibly worse if you put him with any sort of playmaker. You sorta need two other guys who completely ignore him and actively try to avoid passing him the puck for him to be effective. He also can't penalty kill. If that's worth $5m to you, feel free to pick him up at the loading dock outside Rogers Arena.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I deserve two decades of lovely unwatchable hockey anyways. I got to watch three cups. What am I afraid of? Oh no we'll suck for a while. Not like I didn't get to enjoy ridiculously cool hockey for the better part of two decades.

Besides, this franchise always lucks out with the draft anyways. By the time they suck they'll probably fall rear end backwards into another generational talent.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Haven't posted in a hockey thread in awhile, but my wife finally agreed to go to her first game last night. Had free tickets, great seats, and it was a loving 11 goal OT loss. My wallet hurts already cause she loved it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I dunno, seems like he just scores a lot 5v5 and has the puck a lot which is fine with me. He'd be great on the walls with Tatar/Palat, and he's 26 and overpaid by at most like 1m.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

I dunno, seems like he just scores a lot 5v5 and has the puck a lot which is fine with me. He'd be great on the walls with Tatar/Palat, and he's 26 and overpaid by at most like 1m.

Yeah and as you mentioned, digging pucks out of the corner and giving it to the top line players is fine by me.

This year Garland is getting 51% defensive zone starts and a minute less of ATOI on a poo poo team with horrendous goaltending, it's fair to say that he would probably thrive more on an offensive juggernaut. I think 50+ points is the kind of player he can be consistently.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Ginette Reno posted:

I deserve two decades of lovely unwatchable hockey anyways. I got to watch three cups. What am I afraid of? Oh no we'll suck for a while. Not like I didn't get to enjoy ridiculously cool hockey for the better part of two decades.

This is still my attitude. NJ over the last 7-8 seasons have been a total trash fire but I keep telling people, they were a borderline dynasty for 5 years, they won 3 Cups and almost won a 4th and made the Finals a 5th time. I was totally okay with sucking for a while, that's the cycle. The core guys retire and they have to suck for a while and rebuild through the draft after like 20 years of being contenders. There are fanbases who have never gotten a championship. I'm fine.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

This is precisely why we can't allow players like Mercer to be traded for a 'possible' fit with a massive price tag. We have a nucleus of great talent to build and plug and place around - don't gently caress with it. This is what the past decade of sucking has culminated in after resetting everything and trying to build for the future instead of going ham. We've seen what happens when teams do dumb poo poo to try and get into the playoffs or win a cup and when it doesn't work out it's such a massive handcuff for those teams, especially if they're carrying no move clauses and all that.

Devils have had to suck up a lot of poo poo with Kovalchuk, Schneider, Grabner, Clowe and a host of other inane crap over the years so I'd like to see us retain talent rather than patch it over with rentals who might just end up being utter garbage.

We kind of need to shore up the Goaltending somehow cus I don't think V-tek can hold the fort on his own and I'm still out on Blackwood.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 24, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/JHallNBCS/status/1629143465769533440

hell yeah give me more

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

This is still my attitude. NJ over the last 7-8 seasons have been a total trash fire but I keep telling people, they were a borderline dynasty for 5 years, they won 3 Cups and almost won a 4th and made the Finals a 5th time. I was totally okay with sucking for a while, that's the cycle. The core guys retire and they have to suck for a while and rebuild through the draft after like 20 years of being contenders. There are fanbases who have never gotten a championship. I'm fine.

Following a young and developing team has its own reward anyways. The draft is fun to follow.

The only place it abjectly sucks to be is in that purgatory between contending and actually tanking. Sorry Canucks fans.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Ginette Reno posted:

Following a young and developing team has its own reward anyways. The draft is fun to follow.

The only place it abjectly sucks to be is in that purgatory between contending and actually tanking. Sorry Canucks fans.

Or worse, the purgatory of being a decent team that's never bad enough to get a high draft pick but never good enough to make the playoffs or get far if they do, and having a GM who will drag the team kicking and screaming as far as he can by plugging holes with lovely veteran players, resulting in the worst draft pool in the league and no hope for actually being good enough to contend for a Cup.

Sorry, Islanders fans.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah and as you mentioned, digging pucks out of the corner and giving it to the top line players is fine by me.

This year Garland is getting 51% defensive zone starts and a minute less of ATOI on a poo poo team with horrendous goaltending, it's fair to say that he would probably thrive more on an offensive juggernaut. I think 50+ points is the kind of player he can be consistently.

Oh he'll dig the puck out of the corner alright but in no way is he going to pass it to better players. He's going to try and shoot it no matter how crappy a position he's in. Garland plays a version of the sport where there are no other teammates on the ice.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Getting in and somehow upsetting the Bruins is my Stanley Cup

The Stanley Cup is my Stanley Cup, YMMV

Ginette Reno posted:

Not if your team doesn't have any draft picks!

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Speaking of Canucks and Islanders, Beauvillier having more points than Bo Horvat since the trade rules

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano/status/1629138865666547715?s=20

Thread on Rangers/Kane situation.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Diet Crack posted:

This is precisely why we can't allow players like Mercer to be traded for a 'possible' fit with a massive price tag. We have a nucleus of great talent to build and plug and place around - don't gently caress with it. This is what the past decade of sucking has culminated in after resetting everything and trying to build for the future instead of going ham. We've seen what happens when teams do dumb poo poo to try and get into the playoffs or win a cup and when it doesn't work out it's such a massive handcuff for those teams, especially if they're carrying no move clauses and all that.

Devils have had to suck up a lot of poo poo with Kovalchuk, Schneider, Grabner, Clowe and a host of other inane crap over the years so I'd like to see us retain talent rather than patch it over with rentals who might just end up being utter garbage.

We kind of need to shore up the Goaltending somehow cus I don't think V-tek can hold the fort on his own and I'm still out on Blackwood.

Schmid is near NHL ready it seems like, not sure much needs to be done there. I'd argue after a F upgrade that a #7 D is a bigger need although Bahl has been better lately (and ofc Luke is coming).

Meier is a clear upgrade over Mercer ofc and Mercer isn't ever going to become what Meier is right now. Value wise there's nothing wrong with it, I just don't think it makes sense in a cap world where you have Mercer under team control for a bunch of more years. I also don't see any precedence for giving up that kind of player in recent history. The Canes aren't going to give up Jarvis, for instance. I'd be really really surprised if the Sharks get better than like a Sharangovich/Zetterlund type roster player in that deal. Recent history tells us the best assets will be futures/prospects.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 24, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

iwentdoodie posted:

Haven't posted in a hockey thread in awhile, but my wife finally agreed to go to her first game last night. Had free tickets, great seats, and it was a loving 11 goal OT loss. My wallet hurts already cause she loved it.

You got to see Tage Thompson score a hat trick, I’m jealous.

I got to see him score a shorty from my employer’s box, and it was on the goal right in front of us. That was great but not hat trick great.

Tage is back baybeeeeeeee

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Also if Hextall had offers on Kapanen and said no he should be fired immediately. Even more proof Burke isn't running the team there Eric :p

https://twitter.com/937theFan/status/1629164348869337091?s=20