Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

poe is really good + free + not by blizzard + is great on deck

I shall try POE. I played it on PC in the elder days but never finished the main story, so it would be new-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kinda just spitting into the wind here 'cause I'm not big on the genre and haven't played 'em on the Stim Tech but Titan Quest and Grim Dawn were both pretty enjoyable.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Is Death Stranding an action RPG

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

loquacius posted:

I heard it's part of a new genre of videogames: the strand type.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

loquacius posted:

no

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Man I'm really enjoying Octopath 2 as something to just curl up with for 30 minutes before falling asleep. The writing and voice acting is really endearing, I've only been introduced to two characters so far (Throne the assassin/thief and Temenos the hilariously condescending cleric/inquisitor) but both of their stories have been a lot of fun.

Honestly when it comes to turn-based JRPGs I think they almost all have mediocre to poo poo combat, with the exception of Persona 5. So I'd much rather have a game that keeps the combat snappy and flashy while letting the worldbuilding and storytelling take the lead.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Man I'm really enjoying Octopath 2 as something to just curl up with for 30 minutes before falling asleep. The writing and voice acting is really endearing, I've only been introduced to two characters so far (Throne the assassin/thief and Temenos the hilariously condescending cleric/inquisitor) but both of their stories have been a lot of fun.

Honestly when it comes to turn-based JRPGs I think they almost all have mediocre to poo poo combat, with the exception of Persona 5. So I'd much rather have a game that keeps the combat snappy and flashy while letting the worldbuilding and storytelling take the lead.

Do you need to have played the first one?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Papercut posted:

Do you need to have played the first one?

Nope.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Does Octopath 2 actually have a connected story? I haven't played it, but one of the criticisms I heard of the first one was that while every character had their own story line, none of them interacted with each other.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Veotax posted:

Does Octopath 2 actually have a connected story? I haven't played it, but one of the criticisms I heard of the first one was that while every character had their own story line, none of them interacted with each other.

Don't think so. I think the idea is "we're going to take these characters from all over the world and show how their individual situations all came to a common head".

So their journeys as individuals are the important thing, more-so than what they actually do once they get together.

But if you're looking for a big cohesive JRPG party where they all have a shared story, probably look elsewhere.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Veotax posted:

That's not really what they're going for, its like SaGa Frontier, its 8 vignettes in a larger world.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

loquacius posted:

it's a lot of things but ARPG is not one.

Honestly, DS is just like MGSV. but with the Kojima factor cranked to 11. You do a lot of walking and sneaking in big open areas and set pieces. You can shoot your way through bandits but its riskier than sneaking.

If you like the weirdness he puts in his games you'll like it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm almost done with Death Stranding and the action parts are honestly the weakest parts IMO, I'm mostly enjoying it as a post-apocalyptic infrastructure-builder sim

It's my first big game on the Steam Deck and runs great out of the box btw

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

loquacius posted:

I'm almost done with Death Stranding and the action parts are honestly the weakest parts IMO, I'm mostly enjoying it as a post-apocalyptic infrastructure-builder sim

It's my first big game on the Steam Deck and runs great out of the box btw

Yeah by far the best part of the game was just traversing the landscape and slowly building better infrastructure. The action was just an annoying interruption to that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Octopath struggles in that it both wants to be a bunch of individual stories and a traditional JRPG party game.

So it just feels kind of bland

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost

Xinlum posted:

The last step for moving the OpenHUD files? If you send a screenshot I might be able to figure out what's going wrong.

Can you browse to the /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.openmw.OpenMW/current/active/files/share/games/openmw/ in Dolphin?

Did you extract the OpenHUD files so that the path is /home/deck/Downloads/OpenHUD/?
Crossposting from the MW thread, I got it working with some futzing around:

I tried this on the deck, didn't get it to work the first time, then got it working on my PC which helped me figure it out on the deck (working now).

I installed morrowind via steam, so had to change the first line in openmw.cfg data paths from what you had (Heroic) to the steam install path. The data paths for the mods directories got messed up somehow in the transfer, so I also had to manually fix those in the same file. The openHUD files ended up in the wrong directory too (this I think was a function of the openMW install), so I moved those as well. If anyone else is really struggling on this I can dig up the specifics of where I had to deviate from your instructions.

Used steam link to do all of the deck operations via my PC, which made this much easier. Overall this is great, MW runs with almost the same performance on the deck as it does on the gaming pc (grated, locked to 40fps and the lower resolution). Thanks!

I was also inspired to try modded skyrim on the deck. I used these guides for the Redoran wabbajack list:
https://github.com/Lost-Outpost/redoran/blob/main/README.md
https://github.com/Omni-guides/Wabbajack-Modlist-Linux/wiki/Skyrim-Redoran

The PC part of this was easy, no problems with the guide. Getting it on the deck, I started having issues with steps 7 and 8, the wine commands and the c++ install. Finally got it working by manually finding my appid for the redoran install and installing the c++ executable through the wine gui. More annoying that Xinlum's morrowind guide :) but it's also working now and a pretty stable 40fps, so would recommend if you are ok poking around terminal commands and such.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Papercut posted:

Yeah by far the best part of the game was just traversing the landscape and slowly building better infrastructure. The action was just an annoying interruption to that.

Someone please patch death stranding to be just the infrastructure building.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Honestly the BTs were atmospheric and cool but MULEs, terrorists, and bosses could all be modded out and I'd be fine with it

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

in late game when i was all kitted out, I'd hoof it through mule bases just to farm them

you could tell it wasn't the point of the game, but the combat was quite fun.

I loving HATED BTs though. making me walk all slow, take that poo poo and gently caress you

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Actually the best part of the game is taking silly selfies with the baby.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Actually the best part of the game is taking silly selfies with the baby.

wait, you can do that? is that a DC thing? I haven't played DC yet

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

GreenBuckanneer posted:

wait, you can do that? is that a DC thing? I haven't played DC yet

I believe it is a DC thing. A nonDC thing you can do is make the baby dance and it's super cute

you just whistle while sitting down or play the harmonica

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Can you use the Deck's gyros to rock BB to sleep?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Can you use the Deck's gyros to rock BB to sleep?

Oh my god can you?!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

You could on PS4 with the dualshock

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Beastie posted:

You could on PS4 with the dualshock

yeah that was a feature

i'd get BB mad and the ex was like YOU MAKE HIM STOP CRYING and I'd have to hide from the BTs to rock BB

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I like the bit where you're in a hot spring and BB is paddling around like an adorable little submarine. They are best baby.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Having a weird issue with Decky - before one of the recent updates in the last week or so the Decky icon would be in the menu that pops up when you hit the Quick Access button (the one with the 3 little dots on the right side). Now that icon is gone, but all the Decky stuff I had set up is still running fine (CSS loader, the boot animations, etc).

The solution here is just to update Decky, right?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

Having a weird issue with Decky - before one of the recent updates in the last week or so the Decky icon would be in the menu that pops up when you hit the Quick Access button (the one with the 3 little dots on the right side). Now that icon is gone, but all the Decky stuff I had set up is still running fine (CSS loader, the boot animations, etc).

The solution here is just to update Decky, right?

Any beta build can break Decky at anytime, so yeah keep installing

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I reinstalled decky but it is still broken on the latest preview so I uninstalled it and installed preview decky and I guess we'll see what happens shortly

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Theatrhythm question. First of all, the game is great. I was playing and beat about 10 titles, unlocked the meta “theatrhythm” title and beat that at which point it played credits. I think credits came from points and not the choice of stage. Anyway, the theatryhthm level didn’t give me a key, so now I can’t unlock anything else and there are a bunch of titles left to go. Any advice?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

credits come from the theatrhythm series, but I’m pretty sure it gives you a key after 6 songs like the rest of them. maybe you unlocked one and forgot about it? also wrong thread

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You only get keys from the chests not from completing titles. The chests are usually like the 3rd or 4th song

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

No one should be on anything but Stable, doubly so if you have Decky.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I reinstalled decky but it is still broken on the latest preview so I uninstalled it and installed preview decky and I guess we'll see what happens shortly

it worked and retained my existing plugins

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sigher posted:

No one should be on anything but Stable, doubly so if you have Decky.

Yeah I’m not sure why you’d be on anything else tbh.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve moved back and forth from stable to the other channels to try and fix weird things that kept happening to steam.

That’s pretty much it though.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks to the help from this thread, I finally got Moonlight up and running along with playnight. I still need to get Wake on Lan working in my PC BIOS, but I had some questions on how moonlight functions, what it should be doing, and if I need to take any security precautions.

1) Launching the playnight GS Desktop bin file seems to work fine, and launches my desktop, is that what's supposed to happen? I sort of expected playnight would be loaded or there'd be a list of games it loaded that I could just jump into, but it looks like it just straight up puts me on my PC desktop; if that's correct, no problem, just wanted to make sure.

Edit: I think I'm a dummy and the different files load different scripts, and because I have it set to load the desktop one of course it's actually doing that. The other exe files appear to boot different launchers instead.

2) In moonlight settings on the deck, I have it set to quit app on host PC when ending stream; which app is quitting? the game I loaded? or moonlight/playnight?

3) What bitrate should be used? can it be too high or too low? home network speeds are fine and all wifi6 connected (except the deck of course).

4) Any desktop PC considerations while using moonlight? I noticed it mirrors my desktop monitor (and changes the resolution), and gets wonky if that goes to sleep; do I just need to make sure the main monitor is detected and plugged in? I was kind of hoping I could keep the monitor off and just use the deck.

5) I see playnight resets my desktop monitor to it's normal resolution after ending moonlight, which is nice; can I also get it to put my PC back to sleep?

6) Finally, any security concerns I should have with moonlight and Wake on Lan always on? or is it pretty much a non-issue?

Edit: when I "quit" moonlight,
The deck screen shows "quitting GS Desktop 1080p..," forever. How do I know when game stream on the PC is actually closed?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 25, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I really wish someone would make a list of "perfect for steam deck games". I'm talking native, not streamed, not emulated titles that are a great fit for steam deck. Sure I can run horizon zero dawn or death stranding on it but I don't really care to put big AAA games on deck because I have to down grade the visuals so much or live with a sub 60 fps, that I'd just prefer to play it on my actual computer or couch.

But for me the perfect steam deck games are things like Hades, or Celeste, or bugsnax or darq or Cuphead or dead cells, or deaths door or tunic or fez.

These are like peak games for me and I wish it were easier for me to find titles like this. Graphically beautiful but less intensive modern titles with a controller first design. These games are perfect and I need more of them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sounds like you should make this list based on your extremely particular specifications!!!