Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't even think the D's plaque was on screen in Picard Season 2, and if it was it was probably visible for like three seconds and not from an angle that any of its text would even be legible anyway.

It says so in Memory Alpha so its probably in the script or production notes for that episodes but I am not going to contest this any further. So it was probably fished out from Veridian III for the fleet museum exhibit, and lets leave it to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

It says so in Memory Alpha so its probably in the script or production notes for that episodes but I am not going to contest this any further. So it was probably fished out from Veridian III for the fleet museum exhibit, and lets leave it to that.

Dave Blass posted all the plaques on his twitter after the premiere of Season 2 but has since deleted them, like Season 3 deleted everything about Season 2.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

Dave Blass posted all the plaques on his twitter after the premiere of Season 2 but has since deleted them, like Season 3 deleted everything about Season 2.

Speaking of Dave Blass, he posted something on IG that referenced the Shrike being built by the Elachi aka the Silent Enemy aliens.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

HD DAD posted:

Speaking of Dave Blass, he posted something on IG that referenced the Shrike being built by the Elachi aka the Silent Enemy aliens.

Every moment wasted mystery boxing ha ha! the big bad is connected to the Elachi, or Iconians or Butt Bugs! is a moment not spent showing us why we should care about whoever its revealed to be.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whoever invented it didn't think of anything to do with it besides weaponize huh? gently caress em why is that here

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

HD DAD posted:

:negative:

i had to look up who they are

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That's a shame because Silent Enemy was a pretty great Enterprise episode on the premise of "the NX-01 encounters an enemy far out of their league that says nothing, kicks their rear end, and then leaves and is never seen again." Emphasis on the "never seen again" part.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nine-gear crow posted:

That's a shame because Silent Enemy was a pretty great Enterprise episode on the premise of "the NX-01 encounters an enemy far out of their league that says nothing, kicks their rear end, and then leaves and is never seen again." Emphasis on the "never seen again" part.

that's exactly what i was thinking too. it's probably been like 5 years since i've watched it, but the whole "silent" part is right in the title. i had to look it up because i didn't remember anything about them — no surprise, they don't actually tell you

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

The way STO used them isn't that bad, but it could get bad if they are written like the playground variant of upmanship "They are the Borg, but their assimilation process is irreversible". So Borg but SO MUCH MORE BADDIES OOH.

Since they were in ENT they also should be something that Federation should be aware of, since they live/exist in their near neighborhood.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I would laugh if, after Paramount mandated that the novelverse get destroyed entirely, that they just go "okay that's the new main universe."

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

nine-gear crow posted:

Thats one of my favorite ENT episodes. I like the weird unknown enemy that doesn't want to talk to them who is mysterious and never explained, the parts where they invade the ship are legit creepy in how they're filmed, I like seeing the engineering team trying to build the phasers and test them, and even the B story as weird of a B story it is in the middle of all that, actually is kind of a fun way to give some development and life to the usually bland characters of ENT.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

He probably got yelled at because every time one of these things get noticed they get to deal with a wave of "EXCLUSIVE: The Enterprise-D is BACK!!!" articles

Same with how Levar Burton isn't very good at keeping secrets

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Fivemarks posted:

I would laugh if, after Paramount mandated that the novelverse get destroyed entirely, that they just go "okay that's the new main universe."

Its pretty much given by now that Star Trek Online is canon, unless it isn't.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Der Kyhe posted:

It is actually a bit alarming because if I could draw for poo poo I would draw that publicity photo I have in mind, where they were towing the last ships to place. I remember also a discussion here somewhere over if they have Ent-C included, and someone identified it from a nacelle that was maybe fifty pixels in that picture, almost out of frame. Probably was just some Star Trek day promo picture for LDS I am misremembering.

Anyway, being alternative timeline, shouldn't I bring back the Good TNG movies, and excellent versions of Disco and Picard instead? If this works how it usually does, LDS is poo poo there and everybody wants SNW to die after the first season.

Alternate timeline doesn't have to be mirror timeline, it could just be like one where Worf won second place instead of champion at the bat'leth tournament.

I wonder if your brain is referencing this from an old Ships of the Line calendar:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think it was ever stated in the show that bigger strip = better/more powerful. Was that even mentioned in the TNG tech manual? I feel like that's one of those fanon things

Well I'd assume that having two nearly 360 degree strips accross the top and bottom of the saucer gives you a wider attack range than just the little one revealed when they do separation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's not much field of view difference between the stardrive's arrays when separated and the added dorsal array on the saucer when connected.

There's like a slight blind spot very close to the gooseneck, but I don't think you would want to risk shooting anything that close (plus it would be inside the shields anwyays.

The galaxy class is like overwhelmingly armed. The dorsal array on the saucer is almost completely redundant.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

bull3964 posted:

The galaxy class is like overwhelmingly armed. The dorsal array on the saucer is almost completely redundant.

Its because they are on a mission of peace, diplomacy and exploration. Unless you are a shithead, then they will kick your genitals in and use their firepower to gently caress up your planet and make your sun go supernova.

The Ferengi got the idea; Federation are the nice people, but when you gently caress up with the nice people enough, stuff starts to happen.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

bull3964 posted:

There's not much field of view difference between the stardrive's arrays when separated and the added dorsal array on the saucer when connected.

There's like a slight blind spot very close to the gooseneck, but I don't think you would want to risk shooting anything that close (plus it would be inside the shields anwyays.

I feel like the scene in 'Sacrifice of Angels' where Sisko orders the Galaxy-Class wings to engage the Cardassian lines is the closest we've ever seen to Galaxy-Class firepower going ham and then the camera cut away right before the good part.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Penitent posted:

I feel like the scene in 'Sacrifice of Angels' where Sisko orders the Galaxy-Class wings to engage the Cardassian lines is the closest we've ever seen to Galaxy-Class firepower going ham and then the camera cut away right before the good part.

They pushed that Cardassian Galore away with their phasers like a fat guy at an all you can eat buffet.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Today I watched some average Star Trek. On DS9 it was "Playing God", the episode where Jazdia is hanging around that Trill candidate. The episode cannot find a core idea and jumped around a lot. "Eye of the Beholder" from TNG is okay. Kind of creepy. I'm starting to feel TNG overstay its welcome.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DoubleCakes posted:

Today I watched some average Star Trek. On DS9 it was "Playing God", the episode where Jazdia is hanging around that Trill candidate. The episode cannot find a core idea and jumped around a lot. "Eye of the Beholder" from TNG is okay. Kind of creepy. I'm starting to feel TNG overstay its welcome.

I see someone is doing a chronological rewatch.

Also I really enjoyed Eye of the Beholder. Actually most of TNG S7 has this off-kilter vibe that I like.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DoubleCakes posted:

“Playing God” has big mismatch of stakes with itself. The a-plot is Jadzia and the candidate guy trying to figure life out. The b-plot is that the galaxy is about to be destroyed and something must be done (nb, it will never matter again after this episode). It’s just a sci-fi boilerplate contrivance to drum up a none-too-dramatic, but itself decent, character piece.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

that could make sense too, but then how did the holoprogram survive? in TNG they just trap moriarity in a battery basically, he doesn't actually leave

imo the only explanation that makes something resembling sense is that the saucer survived and was recovered, but that seems... also very unlikely, given what we are shown in generations (but it's been a while since i've seen it and paramount pulled it from plus, so)

It's established in plaques in the background of Star Trek: Picard that the saucer was recovered from the surface of Veridian III and is stored in the fleet museum. It seems reasonable to me: I don't think it was 'repaired and flown off' so much as 'they built a scaffold and lifted it carefully off the surface with a bunch of thruster units and put it on the back of a space truck'.

Either way, you can't leave something like that around. Both because you don't want Romulans picking through it, and because there was a pre-warp civilisation in the same system. Either way it has to come off, so it's a question of lifting it off in one piece, or carving it up.

I suspect one of the reasons they established the saucer was lifted onscreen, though, is that Geordi commands the starbase that hosts the fleet museum, and there's going to be an emotionality manipulative touching nostalgia-filled scene with him and Picard on the bridge of the D.

Anyway, Lower Decks established it's standard procedure with something like the Moriarty cube to ship it off to Daystrom for storage and monitoring asap, so it probably wasn't aboard the D when it went down. They have a special annex for it and everything.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 25, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think it was ever stated in the show that bigger strip = better/more powerful. Was that even mentioned in the TNG tech manual? I feel like that's one of those fanon things

It's mentioned in the TNG tech manual that the light we see running along the phaser strips is energy being accumulated from each individual capacitor making up the strip, which means the longer the strip the more power can be applied to the beam. That makes the D's saucer strips its most powerful by far.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

HD DAD posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpAh7XHOY4d/

I doubt any of this will be brought up, but I guess don't expand this if you don't want to see potential spoilers on the original of the Shrike. Though this really all sounds like designer backstory that no one else involved in the show would be even aware of.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MikeJF posted:

It's established in plaques in the background of Star Trek: Picard that the saucer was recovered from the surface of Veridian III and is stored in the fleet museum. It seems reasonable to me: I don't think it was 'repaired and flown off' so much as 'they built a scaffold and lifted it carefully off the surface with a bunch of thruster units and put it on the back of a space truck'.

The Enterprise is so impossibly huge, it sounds crazy that they'd have a ship museum full of decommissioned ships. I guess space is big, but it's wild.

Besides, it belongs in a museum on Romulus.

nine-gear crow posted:

This is always such a weird response to me, since so much of the strength and weight from Star Trek's existing notable races comes from the fact that later writers could iterate on them, and there's plenty of room to build on lots of loose threads lying around out there. I don't get why people would want everything to be left artfully enigmatic so nothing big can be built again.

And especially in the current state of the franchise where previous entries nerfed nearly every notable rival power or potential threat, so the franchise needs to do a lot of building to get something new rolling.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Enterprise is so impossibly huge, it sounds crazy that they'd have a ship museum full of decommissioned ships. I guess space is big, but it's wild.

Yeah, but space is big. You can leave a thousand enterprises floating in a stable orbit and it's still easier than actually doing anything else with them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Knormal posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpAh7XHOY4d/

I doubt any of this will be brought up, but I guess don't expand this if you don't want to see potential spoilers on the original of the Shrike. Though this really all sounds like designer backstory that no one else involved in the show would be even aware of.

Actually, what it sounds like to me is that this is the origin of the three ships we saw attacking Eleos in the prologue to Ep 1: that they were built by the Elachi and then fell into Romulan hands, and then in the Romulan chaos' a Romulan commander sold them on to 'T'. It's just a bit of backstory ascribing those ships as being third-hand Elachi, since Picard re-used the Elachi ship assets from STO. I doubt the Shrike comes from them, I expect 'T'asha acquired it elsewhere or built it themselves.

(Let's see, who else would be a really dumb past character to come back whose name starts with T. It's going to be the dumbest option)(Tuvok)(T'Pring)(a CGI Tomalok)(T'Paal)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 25, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

skasion posted:

“Playing God” has big mismatch of stakes with itself. The a-plot is Jadzia and the candidate guy trying to figure life out. The b-plot is that the galaxy is about to be destroyed and something must be done (nb, it will never matter again after this episode). It’s just a sci-fi boilerplate contrivance to drum up a none-too-dramatic, but itself decent, character piece.

It's such a weird episode, but I kind of like the feeling of a whole bunch of unrelated plots going on that happen to collide into each other. There's sort of a C-plot (or maybe a B-plot of the B-plot) where O'Brien has to deal with the Cardassian vole infestation, including some great physical comedy when they're using the supersonic thingy around Quark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4voiketNMAY

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, but space is big. You can leave a thousand enterprises floating in a stable orbit and it's still easier than actually doing anything else with them.

Imagine how many transients played by Clint Howard could squat in all those Enterprises

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Meatgrinder posted:

Well I've watched the entire first series of TOS...

.. It was wildly uneven,...

To quote a great philosopher "79 episodes. About 30 good ones."

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

HD DAD posted:

I see someone is doing a chronological rewatch.

Also I really enjoyed Eye of the Beholder. Actually most of TNG S7 has this off-kilter vibe that I like.

A chronological rewatch, indeed (well, first watch)! A watch so chronological to the point where I checked out which weekly episodes aired first and planned my viewing around it.

Today's DS9 episode was "Profit and Loss" which features the first time where Quark is actually benevolent to another person? I liked seeing Garak's history made explicit and his arc over the episode was captivating even if the end is abrupt.

"Genesis" from the TNG side... wow. What an episode! It starts off like a scene from everyone's favourite space sitcom Crazy Hospital but it turns into a deeply creepy take on the "everyone mutating into animals" trope. I like the jump from the virus starting to get out of control to Data and Picard arriving on the ship and seeing what all went wrong. Reminded me of System Shock 2 or that episode of Community where Jeff skips out on the paintball war to take a nap, wakes up, and sees how Greendale has fallen into chaos. I think the transformation being reversed with a virus is farfetched. Maybe someone who de-evolved into an earlier form of hominid, I guess I can buy that, but if you're like Barclay and you are transforming into a spider, you are off your feet for at least two months and you're gonna need a lot of reconstructive whatever to get back to normal.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"Super-evolved into a salamander? No problem, a quick wave of my flashing light gizmo and you'll be right as rain."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Love how the end of Genesis is everyone just laughing and high fiving and Beverly's like "lol I'm gonna name this disease after you, Reg" and Barcaly's just :smith: about it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm pretty sure Worf ate a guy.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Didn't Riker beat a guy to death too?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

No Dignity posted:

Didn't Riker beat a guy to death too?

From Riker's point of view, the guy beat himself to death.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

Love how the end of Genesis is everyone just laughing and high fiving and Beverly's like "lol I'm gonna name this disease after you, Reg" and Barcaly's just :smith: about it

“Dr. Crusher can you please get back to reconstructive surgery, you’re scaring me.”

“Haha!” :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm pretty sure Worf ate a guy.

Worf dismantled a guy Predator style. And he also melted Crusher’s face off with his vile sputum