Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
drat what the gently caress happened today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

drat what the gently caress happened today

Kapanen.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

This loving sucks. Dude has been injured a good amount of this year and didn't look great when not injured. Hope he's alright and it becomes another reason Zito uses to kick Maurice to the curb.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

tinstaach posted:

All the bubble teams in the East are getting passed by Detroit, and all of RWAS knows it's only a matter of time before Ville Husso stops putting up a .940 sv% and they're back in the toilet

This team is going to win three of the next four, Yzerman will hold everything at the deadline, and then they'll go on a losing streak.

The entire east wild card race is going to be a battle of sadness with each team shooting themselves in the foot until eventually, Pittsburgh falls rear end-backwards into a spot.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

DancingMachine posted:

Kraken have been falling like a rock since Burakovsky got injured and are going to be out of the playoffs soon if things don't change. I can't find any info on what the injury even is or how long he is likely to be out. Just "a while" according to Francis and listed "week to week". Anybody know more?

There's been no mention other than what you've already said which doesn't really bode well. They haven't been very consistent since the break but it's felt like a lot of it is from trying to win games while giving up 4-6 goals which ain't gonna cut it. The PP is butt and has been for a while and their PK is garbo and getting Burakovsky back isn't going to fix any of that. I feel like they still have a decent shot çause the west is so bad but they're going too need to start riding a hot shooting % again if something else doesn't change.

edit: Hextall is having a media availability and naturally he's said nothing of substance so far

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/nhlplayersafety/status/1629138760360157190?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Nice

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Koopa Kid posted:

I’ve said this before but looking back at the Leafs/CBJ play-in roster and what’s become of most of the depth on that team I feel like I… get the result a bit more? Once Muzzin’s spine got pulped the d corps was awful, and 5 of the forwards played will be in the AHL now if Kappy makes it through. Mikheyev was still learning how to use his slashed wrist again and rookie Engvall was even floatier than he is today. That was a real flawed group relative to where they’re at now.

Yeah it kinda gets lost that the Leafs and Jackets had just about the same record that year. There was definitely a sense the Leafs should be better but the team wasn't really all that good.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

This team is going to win three of the next four, Yzerman will hold everything at the deadline, and then they'll go on a losing streak.

The entire east wild card race is going to be a battle of sadness with each team shooting themselves in the foot until eventually, Pittsburgh falls rear end-backwards into a spot.

The east wild card might be bad teams deciding who is least worst, but the entire western conference is that.

The Stars are frauds.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I really think if Dallas is going to be going after anyone it should be Jakob Chychrun because he so obviously fits into what the Stars desperately need and his contract is perfect for the current salary cap construction of the Stars.. it runs for 2 more years and then expires at the exact same time the Stars have a ton of bad money coming off the books so they could easily afford to re-up him if they decided they wanted to do that. Only move that makes any sense so far as I can see.

I'm sure what they'll actually do is give up waaaaay too much for forward help because the team is snakebit right now and they can't see that the biggest issue is that literally only 1 defenseman in the entire organization can reliably play 20+ minutes a night or carry / pass the puck out of his own end.

**like I've been preparing myself mentally for the last week for them to trade Mavrik Bourque as part of a package for Patrick Kane and then that little weasel goes on to score like 15 points in 25 games for Dallas while going -15 as the Stars drop to the 3rd division spot and lose in the first round to Winnipeg or Colorado.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 24, 2023

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

How has Chychrun not been traded yet. Makes no sense unless he's Secretly Injured Badly or whatever.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Is he old and loving terrible at hockey? If not, is there some way we can convince Nill that he is?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

.Spec posted:

There's been no mention other than what you've already said which doesn't really bode well. They haven't been very consistent since the break but it's felt like a lot of it is from trying to win games while giving up 4-6 goals which ain't gonna cut it. The PP is butt and has been for a while and their PK is garbo and getting Burakovsky back isn't going to fix any of that. I feel like they still have a decent shot çause the west is so bad but they're going too need to start riding a hot shooting % again if something else doesn't change.

They're no longer scoring with a 13.5% Shooting%. Only the Flyers (in Seattle) and Bruins games have been that good in the last 10 or so. Now the defensive zone vulnerabilities are going to be more obvious because they're no longer outscoring the issues every game. Vince Dunn being stapled to Larsson is a bad idea, but Dunn can throw stretch passes and that's Hakstol hockey. He's just been a glaring defensive vulnerability and teams are taking advantage.

I think the biggest question is if they're going to continue to fade and get that wildcard spot or if one of the current top 3 fades worse instead. It's looking less like Calgary can make that push and Nashville is just barely hanging around in the conversation.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Columbus fans and writers (some of them anyway) complaining about Boston not trading with them and ultimately going with the Caps deal is so funny. Grade schooler "but you proOOoommmissssed" vibes

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Golden Man posted:

How has Chychrun not been traded yet. Makes no sense unless he's Secretly Injured Badly or whatever.

They want two firsts and nobody is paying that. Apparently the Caps are thinking of dealing their Boston first for him but Arizona still holding out for two.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1629191708108791810?s=20

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Oh man if the Caps snipe Chychrun using the pick Jarmo wanted to use on him.

The Golden Man posted:

CBJSprague24 posted:

Chychrun also could've already been traded but he said no to Columbus only to change his mind when Johnny came to town and, by that point, the ship had sailed.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

DancingMachine posted:

Kraken have been falling like a rock since Burakovsky got injured and are going to be out of the playoffs soon if things don't change. I can't find any info on what the injury even is or how long he is likely to be out. Just "a while" according to Francis and listed "week to week". Anybody know more?

They have all the same issues as last year vis a vie coaching, system, goaltending, and special team play...mostly PK. This has been papered over by the best finishing/shooting % in the league.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Warner/Discovery is dumping AT&T SportsNet RSNs:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2023/02/24/rsn-breaking-news.aspx

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

rex rabidorum vires posted:

They have all the same issues as last year vis a vie coaching, system, goaltending, and special team play...mostly PK. This has been papered over by the best finishing/shooting % in the league.

Sure, but getting Burky back could prop up those shooting numbers again! :D
Grubauer has actually looked pretty decent since the offense cooled off as well. So goaltending might trend back towards mediocre which would be great if the rest of the team was playing good again.
I'm not sure if PP/PK is fixable and it's totally catastrophic, yeah. That's the darkest cloud to me.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah it kinda gets lost that the Leafs and Jackets had just about the same record that year. There was definitely a sense the Leafs should be better but the team wasn't really all that good.

Back when I was still attempting to post on PPP I floated the idea a few times that maybe the reason the Leafs underperformed every year was because they weren’t as good as people thought they were, and if that’s the case then at least some of the players on the roster must worse than people thought as well.

It was roundly decided that no, there wasn’t anything wrong with the roster construction or decisions made getting them there and the Leafs must simply be cursed or whatever

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hahaha, RSNs are in danger :downs:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Koopa Kid posted:

Back when I was still attempting to post on PPP I floated the idea a few times that maybe the reason the Leafs underperformed every year was because they weren’t as good as people thought they were, and if that’s the case then at least some of the players on the roster must worse than people thought as well.

It was roundly decided that no, there wasn’t anything wrong with the roster construction or decisions made getting them there and the Leafs must simply be cursed or whatever

I mean they are cursed that part is undeniable.

That team was weird all around. We spent the whole year waiting for them to figure it out and get in gear. Then Babcock was fired and the vibes changed but the results didn't really.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

DancingMachine posted:

Sure, but getting Burky back could prop up those shooting numbers again! :D
Grubauer has actually looked pretty decent since the offense cooled off as well. So goaltending might trend back towards mediocre which would be great if the rest of the team was playing good again.
I'm not sure if PP/PK is fixable and it's totally catastrophic, yeah. That's the darkest cloud to me.

.883 and 15 goals against in 303 minutes over his last 5 starts. Definitely trending in a direction.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

.883 and 15 goals against in 303 minutes over his last 5 starts. Definitely trending in a direction.

Of the 71 goalies that have played 10 games or more, Grubauer's S% is good for #53 on that list with .896 and Jones is not far behind at #59. They're keeping good company with notably "good" goalies this season named Binnington and Campbell. But sure, the goaltending and defense isn't an issue in Seattle.

They've just been outscoring their issues all season and it's definitely coming due.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

nature6pk posted:

Hi friends, sorry to interrupt but I'm having trouble finding the picture of Lanny McDonald wearing and Oilers jersey. I thought you folks would be the people to ask

here u go sorry for the wait :sorry;

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I mean they are cursed that part is undeniable.

That team was weird all around. We spent the whole year waiting for them to figure it out and get in gear. Then Babcock was fired and the vibes changed but the results didn't really.

Yeah I mean, poor roster and curses aren’t mutually exclusive certainly

The early Leafs teams definitely had some pretty hope-inflated expectations that I don’t think they ever could have made good on. I just think that it should be obvious by now that a lot of guys on this team that certain fans hold dear are very fungible and that expectations for roster players on the club should be moved upwards.

Look at what a revelation Acciari has been on the 4th line compared to all the trash Dubas has been bringing in for years, there’s guys much better at filling in the corner of rosters for not much more money out there. Meanwhile you had people this season lamenting that Dubas didn’t find a way to keep Alex Galchenyuk.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1629216264404062209?s=20

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1629225906404196352?s=20

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/billhoppenhl/status/1629252348173320192?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

GOOD

Should’ve still been a 5-minute major but I’ll take this instead

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Oh man if the Caps snipe Chychrun using the pick Jarmo wanted to use on him.

Columbus fans can always boo him

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
lol the flyers got scored on by Chris Teirney

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Buffalo Sabres beat the Florida Panthers in regulation and now occupy the second Wild Card spot.

Matthew Tkachuk is a coward and started a scrum after the whistle blew to end the game :qq: go cry about it you dumb baby

Edit: Craig Anderson with 51 saves lmao

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Loath as I am to admit it, the Sabres are the only potential wild card team in the east that I think could make things interesting for Carolina or Boston.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Craig Anderson is the only goalie in NHL history to make 50+ saves at age 40+ lmao

This season is just one absolutely random milestone after another, I loving love it

Edit:

https://twitter.com/sabrespr/status/1629311845340270594?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Craig Anderson is going to die

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

The Dirty Burger posted:

We all are, friend

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

The Dirty Burger posted:

^:argh:

We all are buddy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This tweet is everything rn

https://twitter.com/slaybres/status/1629314600821833728?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

ThinkTank posted:

Garland is hardly a pest and plays a style entirely unlike anyone else in the league. He loves to spin off the half wall and yet can't make a pass to save his life. He's the rare winger that gets visibly worse if you put him with any sort of playmaker. You sorta need two other guys who completely ignore him and actively try to avoid passing him the puck for him to be effective. He also can't penalty kill. If that's worth $5m to you, feel free to pick him up at the loading dock outside Rogers Arena.

yeah garland sucks. all he's good at is spinning away from defenders and taking a horrendous shot. he doesn't work with anyone because he's seemingly unaware hockey is a team game. he plays "big" but he's small so he's just a nuisance not a pest. free to a good home. or a bad home. whatever

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Nylander’s OT winner was loving nasty

https://twitter.com/tictactomar/status/1629310076027535362?s=46&t=5mIa0HyKO_rFicehqKN6ow

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
How come his brother isn't even 20% as good as him I wonder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Dunno, why wasn't Brent even 5% as good as Wayne