Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

FrozenVent posted:

Not paying your soldiers has never resulted in anything bad in history anyway.

It's how we discovered Patton, Eisenhower and MacArthur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
It's wild that there are self-asserted leftists on Twitter (and closer to home!) crowing over Prigozhin "owning the libs" by allegedly faking one of the executions he and his minions have conducted.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

love that inviolate contract that justifies the use of torture and executions but also they can't be bothered to keep up on pay

contracts: same as they ever were.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Dang combo of no pay, invading army not motivated by religion with weak ideology, easy access to guns and alcohol, expectation of humane treatment if captured, brutal officers, surprised there haven’t been more fraggings or surrenders. Although like the guy said they did have a riot and would fear for their families, plus probably poor unit cohesion if mixed in with strangers to make organizing hard, and limited access to info.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FrozenVent posted:

Not paying your soldiers has never resulted in anything bad in history anyway.

Pretty sure the logic here with Wagner is you don't have to pay dead people. These guys have been turned into meat-based bullet detectors.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Tuna-Fish posted:

... The shells that are hard to make turn into a few tens of thousands of supersonic fragments when the HE charge in them goes off (hopefully) near the target. 155mm artillery doesn't have casings, which is what you are probably thinking of. Loading a gun consists of one guy tossing the shell in the breech, and then someone pushing bags of powder to follow it.

Three guys, two on the tray, one on the staff, staff pushes it off tray, one drops tray grabs staff helps rammer ram, second takes tray. #1 man puts powder in breech, closes breech affixes primer, shuts firing mech, attaches lanyard....

I'm going to stop here before I start mumbling misfire procedures in my sleep again.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

There might be more fraggings if they had more ammo.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Galaxy brain move, you can’t have fraggings if you don’t give them frags in the first place.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wagner is just the Russian VA-
Dead Vets Don't Need Benefits

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Kremlin's 2030 version of the Bonus Army is gonna be some poo poo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

Wagner is just the Russian VA-
Dead Vets Don't Need Benefits

Not sure they think the living ones need them either.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Not sure they think the living ones need them either.

There lies the rub, Tovaristch.
The living aren't Vets yet.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
New thread title

Ukraine: Meat Based Bullet Detectors

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Man, when I went through Basic in 09, we were the last intake that was still doing open country digging trenches and fighting pits and stuff, and it was basically considered an outdated joke, because obviously now everything was mobile urban combat and the idea of a conventional war was ridiculous. Took the NZDF so long to catch up their training and now a few years later land warfare is back, baybee!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Man, when I went through Basic in 09, we were the last intake that was still doing open country digging trenches and fighting pits and stuff, and it was basically considered an outdated joke, because obviously now everything was mobile urban combat and the idea of a conventional war was ridiculous. Took the NZDF so long to catch up their training and now a few years later land warfare is back, baybee!

Diggers. It's right there in the name.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

broke: blitzkrieg
woke: sitzkrieg

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

When I went through in 05 I remember everyone telling me how this was basically just something they were required to have in the program.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Is this basically towing a giant pile of UXO around on a public road? I have no idea what happens to BM-21 rockets in a fire, but a bunch of those tubes look like they're still loaded.

https://twitter.com/naalsio26/status/1629097835873415176

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Generation Internet posted:

Is this basically towing a giant pile of UXO around on a public road? I have no idea what happens to BM-21 rockets in a fire, but a bunch of those tubes look like they're still loaded.

Doing that without Yosemite Sam "Back Off" mudflaps seems incredibly dangerous.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 24, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

I can’t find anything about the actual compounds used in either the warhead or rocket motor, aside from the rocket motor being the solid variety (like an old space shuttle booster). I’ll drop this in the dangerous chemistry thread and see what comes up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Its loaded but if those are burned its likely more dangerous to try to unload it than just tow it somewhere safe.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I imagine they're taking it somewhere to remove, inspect, and recycle the rockets. Just safeing it would be easily achieved by pointing it east and then setting it the rest of the way on fire.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

I imagine they're taking it somewhere to remove, inspect, and recycle the rockets. Just safeing it would be easily achieved by pointing it east and then setting it the rest of the way on fire.

If they were basked in fire it's unlikely the solid fuel compounds are still safe to fire off. Would probably maybe launch them conflagrate and crash, if not blow up in the tube.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

For the rockets, solid fuel powder grains made of:

quote:

In the fuel charge, the RSI-12M recipe was used, previously developed by an employee of the NII-6 B.C. Lernov and consisting of 56% xylidine. 26.7% nitroglycerin. 10.5% dinitrotoluene. 3% centrality. The charge also included catalysts and processing aids.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The economist has a fantastic and terrifying diary from an office manager turned platoon leader who was in Bakhmut in August.

https://www.economist.com/1843/2023/02/22/the-secret-diary-of-a-ukrainian-soldier-death-and-drones-on-the-eastern-front

It's long and has accompanying pictures, so I'm not going to post it all here.

quote:

I head out with Raccoon to scout our new position. We scuttle through a dense forest and fields, moving quickly so as not to be noticed. The Russians have been in control of this area since 2014. They know it like the backs of their hands.

Contractor heads out to meet some reconnaissance officers. They’ve been in the area for some time, so they will surely be able to tell us everything. But they don’t even show up for the meeting! They don’t answer calls. There isn’t a soul around. This war is a bullshit mess.

I return to pick up the rest of our men. The long column of soldiers resembles a line of ants. They are tired and walk slowly under the scorching sun. We don’t just have to consolidate our own position. Another unit is advancing into the forest ahead, and we have to send a group to support them, our commander says. My group doesn’t get far before coming under mortar fire. “Rollback! Rollback!” comes the order over the radio. Less than half return.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Pentagon Press Sec press conference notes.
Transcript and video at link: https://www.defense.gov/News/Transc...press-briefing/
Additional US assistance posted earlier today: https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3308633/biden-administration-announces-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/

Intro, and highlights as I choose. This conference was not specifically about Ukraine, but I've cut it to be Ukraine-related. A quick note on highlights: I am including a brief section regarding China, then cutting the rest. If you want to read more, click the link above and read it or watch the video. Given that there's nothing very concrete about China, I'm largely planning to ignore the topic for now, as it tends to steer conversations into the US and China rather than remaining about the Ukraine conflict.

-No evidence China has provided lethal aid to Russia, though China could choose to do so in the future.
-Since the aid announcements from this morning are under USAI, there is no expectation that the UAS, etc, from this specific package would reach Ukraine by the spring. Aimed at medium to long-term needs, and the announcement starts the contracting process.
-US position remains that the US will support Ukraine for an indeterminate amount of time, until the conflict comes to a negotiated settlement, or Ukraine chooses to stop fighting, or whatever end-state.
-No change to US or Russian strategic force posture in light of Russian suspension of New START participation.
-When asked if HIMARS ammunition includes ATACMS or just GMLRS, not a clear answer [My take: I would bet it's just GMLRS and not ATACMS; I am pretty sure GMLRS supply has been listed like this before in these USAI and PDA announcements]

quote:

BRIGADIER GENERAL PAT RYDER: Hey, good afternoon, everybody. Happy Friday. Just a few things, and then we'll get right to your questions.

So as you're all aware, today marks the one-year anniversary of Russia's unprovoked war in Ukraine, and to quote Secretary Austin's statement issued earlier today, quote, "This solemn anniversary is an opportunity for all who believe in freedom, rules and sovereignty to recommit ourselves to supporting Ukraine's brave defenders for the long haul, and recall that the stakes of Russia's war stretch far beyond Ukraine. Alongside our international allies and partners, we remain committed to supporting the Ukrainian people with the security assistance they need to defend their nation and take back their sovereign territory, and we will stand with Ukraine for as long as it takes."

In another demonstration of our enduring commitment, earlier today, the Department of Defense announced $2 billion in additional security assistance for Ukraine under the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative. The security assistance package reaffirms the steadfast support of the United States for Ukraine by committing additional unmanned aerial systems and counter-UAS and electronic warfare detection equipment, as well as critical ammunition stocks for artillery and precision fires capabilities that will bolster Ukraine's ability to repel Russian aggression. For additional details, I'd refer you to our press release located on Defense.gov.

Also today, the secretary spoke by phone with Ukraine's minister of defense, Oleksii Reznikov. Secretary Austin praised Ukraine's courage and sacrifice that has inspired and rallied the international community to support its efforts to push back against Russian aggression, and he also provided an update on U.S. security assistance efforts, and a readout of that call is available on the DOD website.

And with that, we'll go to your questions. Start with Associated Press, Lita.

Q: Thank you. Two things. Number one, the U.S. has talked quite a bit about warning China against providing any aid, lethal aid to Russia. Given that, has the department seen any indication so far of any type of aid, particularly lethal aid, going from China to Russia, or any indications that such is actually happening?

GEN. RYDER: Sure. Thanks, Lita. So on your first question in regards to China and the potential for providing lethal aid to Ukraine, we haven't seen them provide lethal aid to Ukraine -- excuse me -- to Russia yet, but we also have noticed that they haven't taken it off the table. And so you've heard Secretary Austin, Secretary Blinken and others warn China about the implications of providing lethal assistance to Russia, to include needlessly extending this conflict and the suffering of the Ukrainian people. I would say, ironically, China's recent peace plan proposal includes respecting the sovereignty of all countries, so one would hope that they mean it and respect Ukraine's right to exist, versus potentially providing lethal aid intended to kill innocent Ukrainians and erase their country. So we'll continue to monitor that closely.

Q: Thanks for your time. Wanted to drill down a bit if we can into the USAI package announced today, particularly the power counter UAS estimate. Looks like we're going to see the Switchblade 600 which, at least to my knowledge and if you can clarify that'd be helpful, have not been a part of the package previously.

How quickly do you think that might find its way to a battlefield, and is the time it's taken to get it there a function of it simply not being available more quickly or something else?

GEN. RYDER: Sure. So for, as you highlight, given that these are USAI, these are all capability that we will go to industry to help produce.

I don't have a timeline in terms of the delivery time, other than as has been the case, we'll continue to work very closely with industry to try to get them there as quickly as we can.

I'll just leave it at that.

Q: More loosely, is the anticipation that it would be there in time for the offensive this spring?

GEN. RYDER. I don't think that would be the case. Again, we're already providing them with a significant amount of capabilities coming from PDA along with the international community to get them the capabilities they need for the springtime. But again, this is a fight that will continue to be tough, and so we want to ensure not only are we meeting their immediate needs, but we're also meeting their medium and long-term needs.

And so, again, we're going to rush to get these capabilities there as quickly as we can.

Thanks. Go to Joe.

Q: Thanks, Pat. Just staying on Ukraine aid, there are a number of categories of aid where we didn't get the specificity. You talked about HIMARS ammunition, but HIMARS can take GMLRS or ATACMS, and I just wanted to see if you could be specific about what kind of HIMARS ammunition was part of the package, what kind of laser-guided rockets, and any specificity you can give around the Counter-UAS Systems that were included?

GEN. RYDER: Yes, so on the specific Counter-UAS Systems, I'm not going to get more specific, just for operation security reasons.

In the packages you highlight, the laser-guided rocket systems, those are advanced precision kill weapon systems, so essentially the ability to convert unguided rockets into precision-guided munitions, which can be operated from various launchers that we're providing to the Ukrainians.

So that's about as specific as I'm going to be able to get.

Q: And then on the HIMARS ammunition, is that just GMLRS or is that something else?

GEN. RYDER: Well, I'll have to go back and take a look. I'm going to presuppose that if we're not including it in there, it's probably for operation security reasons. That said, I'll take your question back and we'll see what we can provide.

Q: And just in terms of the -- because there are a number of drone systems, is there something happening on the battlefield now that's requiring that as part of the USAI package?

GEN. RYDER: I think it's important to step back and look at the security assistance that we're providing holistically, right? So it's not episodic, one individual battle or one individual situation at a time. It's essentially a meshing together a variety of capabilities to give the Ukrainians a variety of things that they need to be successful, to include air defense -ground-based air defense, to include armor capability, to include artillery, the ammunition that they need, the communication, command, and control capability that they need.

So as the Department of Defense approaches meeting Ukraine security assistance needs, it's part of a broader framework of working with them in terms of meeting those requirements as quickly as we can through the means that we have available to us.

And it's not just the U.S., again, and I know you know that. It's part of an international tapestry, so to speak, to provide those capabilities.

So each of these is going to meet a capability that the Ukrainians have asked for, but again, the key word being capability. The platform is going to help meet a capability need.

The other aspect of that is the training piece, which we've talked about before. So the equipment plus the training, which includes operations, maintenance, and sustainment, gives the Ukrainians the capabilities they need not only to defend, but also to go on the offensive on their timeline in order to change the equation on the battlefield.

Q: Kind of flowing off that, this morning, several former NATO Supreme Allied Commanders urged the U.S. to do everything they can for Ukraine, to dig deeper. I was curious your reaction to that? And what more could we be doing right now?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, I think that that message echoes largely what Secretary Austin said at the Ukraine Defense Contact Group, that we do need to, as an international community, dig deeper and work harder, work faster to ensure that Ukraine gets the security assistance that it needs to be successful on the battlefield.

Q: Does "dig deeper" mean sending additional capabilities, equipment? What do you take from that, in terms of what we could do more?

GEN. RYDER: So I think we are, again, as evidenced by today's announcement, and we're going to continue to consult closely with Ukraine and with our international allies and partners to ensure that Ukraine has the assistance that it needs to be successful. Thank you.

Q: Yeah, hi, sir. In addition to Iran's request for fighter jets and combat helicopters from Russia, the White House announced today that Russia has offered Iran cooperation on missiles, electronics, and air defense in exchange for Iran's support for the war effort. Are we talking about potential purchases here? Is this co-production? And can you get into any specifics on platforms?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, I really can't, beyond, again, what you highlighted, that we know that Iran is pursuing a deeper security cooperation relationship with Russia for obvious reasons. And throughout this campaign, we've seen sort of that transactional interaction between Russia, as they seek more munitions, as they seek drone capability. We know that they've been interested in ballistic missile capability, for example.

We know that they've been looking to advance that relationship with Iran. And again, we know that Iran is looking to advance that relationship with Russia, which, again, says a lot about the kinds of measures that Russia is finding itself having to resort to, not able to depend on its own defense industry, losing suppliers and partners as a result of their actions. And so it's also a statement on what we've said before about Iran being a destabilizing influence, not only in the Middle East but exporting terror to places like Ukraine.

So again, we'll continue to monitor that closely but I don't have any additional details to provide.

Let me go over here and then we'll come back here.

Q: Thank you, General. The Ukrainian President said just the other day that there's not going to be any dialogue with Mr. Putin and he can't be trusted, while the Russian President says that they have to accept the new realities on the ground. And the United States rhetoric is that Mr. Putin could end this war if he wanted to in a heartbeat.

There seems to be a deadlock here, right, so can you see the United States militarily and financially supporting Ukraine for the next half a decade perhaps? Because it looks like a deadlock that no one can break at the moment. What's your thought on that?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, so I'm not going to try to predict the future. I'm going to focus on the facts that we have in front of us, and the facts are that Russia invaded its peaceful, democratic, sovereign neighbor and that it tried to eliminate Ukraine as a country and Ukraine is defending itself and we're going to help Ukraine defend itself, alongside the international community.

And so ultimately, at the end of the day, we're not going to dictate to Ukraine when it should stop fighting. We wouldn't want someone to tell us that and we're not going to tell them when to stop fighting. We're going to focus on supporting them and giving -- putting them in the best position possible so that when they determine it's time to negotiate or when it's time to stop fighting, they'll have the strongest possible hand available. And so I'll just leave it at that.

Q: ... I want to follow-up on that -- so it's not a figure of speech, I think, when the United States administration says "for as long as it takes." It's literally for as long as it takes, the war goes on, right?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, so the question here is what happens next if Russia is allowed to succeed, right? It's not going to stop at Ukraine and it's going to further embolden other authoritarian regimes, in terms of what they can accomplish simply by using force to eliminate countries around them.

And so I think what we would see is an increase in the cost of trying to defend democracy, I think what we would see is an increase in needless suffering and innocent lives lost, and the extinguishing of freedom and democracy in countries that are unable to defend themselves.

So again, as the President has said, as Secretary Austin has said, we are committed to supporting Ukraine in their fight because the implications -- not only is it the right thing to do but the implications extend well beyond Ukraine, in terms of what it means for the international community and what it means for democracy and what it means for freedom. Thank you.

All right, we've got time for one more. We'll go to Kasim?

Q: General, also, Russia recently announced that they are going -- they suspended participation in the New START agreement. Do you -- do you have any concern with respect to that? And is there any posture changes in Russian nuclear force posture?

GEN. RYDER: Sure. So we think that it's unfortunate that they've decided to suspend their participation in the New START Treaty. It's irresponsible, given the potential implications here of what we're talking about.

But in regards to Russian strategic forces' posture, we have not seen any indication that they have changed, nor have we changed our posture. Thank you.

The USAI items mentioned:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Guess this is now my Ukraine go to thread, they closed the GBS on and I no longer frequent GBSD&D. Veteran's benefits I guess.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 25, 2023

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

CommieGIR posted:

Guess this is now my Ukraine go to thread, they closed the GBS on and I no longer frequent GBS. Veteran's benefits I guess.

There's a frontpage GBS?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Steezo posted:

There's a frontpage GBS?

There is. Sad but true.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Steezo posted:

There's a frontpage GBS?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Bauhinia_Star

quote:

The Gold Bauhinia Star (GBS) is the highest Bauhinia Star rank in the honours system of Hong Kong, created in 1997 to replace the British honours system of the Order of the British Empire after the transfer of sovereignty to People's Republic of China and the establishment of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR). It is awarded to those who have given distinguished service to the community or rendered public or voluntary services of a very high degree of merit.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Guess this is now my Ukraine go to thread, they closed the GBS on and I no longer frequent GBSD&D. Veteran's benefits I guess.

finally Russia got a win

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dumb reason to close a thread imo but lol if that means I'll migrate to loving cspam to get updates.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

mods: "i am shocked, shocked to find cspam brigading in gbs. We will be closing this thread, please migrate to cspam for fun posting"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arc Hammer posted:

Dumb reason to close a thread imo but lol if that means I'll migrate to loving cspam to get updates.

Pretty much.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Alan Smithee posted:

mods: "i am shocked, shocked to find cspam brigading in gbs. We will be closing this thread, please migrate to cspam for fun posting"

brigading? on something awful? why i never

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This thread is already what the GBS thread should've been anyway. It's a good ratio between insightful discussion and jokes about Putin taking a Javelin in his shriveled wrinkly nards.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol that the GBS thread gets closed while the one that had people calling dead Ukrainian children crisis actors gets to live on. The war is too serious for shitposting, after all

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1627683845167321089

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The loving fash thread brigaded the Ukraine thread and the mods choose to close the Ukraine thread? JFC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cugel the Clever posted:

The loving fash thread brigaded the Ukraine thread and the mods choose to close the Ukraine thread? JFC

No they loving didn't. Objecting to some of the weirdos in that thread doesn't make one "fash".