Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

crepeface posted:

there are probably at least a few good faith lurkers who would appreciate a rebuttal

these people don't exist

e: :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

GSV gently caress Your God posted:

The war is being conducted in part with the purpose to extinguish the Ukrainian national identity and all five of these criteria of genocide have been committed towards that end:

*Killing members of the group;
*Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
*Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
*Imposing measures intended to prevent births withing the group;
*Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group

I can get 1, 3 and 5 from background trivia but how tf they pullin off 2/4??? those ones imply sort of govt top down control i think. sort of like systematized abuse. some wacky rusky nationalist in a newpaper sayin kill em all and let god sort em out aint enough. but as an epic cspam poster i will accept it so long as we accept NATO as genocidal by this definition. thats diplomacy

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

crepeface posted:

there are probably at least a few good faith lurkers who would appreciate a rebuttal

I want to know why its this particular war that awakens this EVE goonlord from his political slumber when every armed conflict ticks every box in his genocide list.

When say for example significantly more civilians died in Afghanistan, pretty sure that even at the very end we had soldiers kidnap kids from their parents as they up and left. And america is still starving afghanistan to this day.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Endman posted:

these people don't exist

e: :synpa:

they do

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Okay, so you love genocide and are a moral monster. Understood.

Well, I have American and Israeli dual citizenship so technically this is accurate. :shrug:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dreylad posted:

Not on that subject, no, but he did research to support Bloodlands. My example was to demonstrate that even he has his limits about what kind of claims he'll support.

I am just looking through the endnotes now, and it is worse than I thought. It really has very very little in Russian and almost nothing from the Soviet archives. Also, a lot of it is literature. I don't think it is real research to be honest considering the subject, there should be a standard for a monograph that is making significant claims.

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you left out an important part
https://www.un.org/en/genocideprevention/genocide.shtml

otherwise you end up in stupid logic traps like: the allied campaign nazi germany was a genocide
I did not leave that out, I summarized it in a single line. A discussion of the "mental element: the 'intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such"; and' is contained within the video I posted above.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

someone ask in SAD if we can get a new ik for the thread

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

crepeface posted:

I dunno what's goin' on with the "So you love genocide and want to marry it" dude, but I'd still like to know the thread stance on pierogi and possibly even borshch.

And probably learn other things too.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

please show me the lurkers, mr cuttlefush

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I want to know why its this particular war that awakens this EVE goonlord from his political slumber when every armed conflict ticks every box in his genocide list.

When say for example significantly more civilians died in Afghanistan, pretty sure that even at the very end we had soldiers kidnap kids from their parents as they up and left. And america is still starving afghanistan to this day.
They were not done with the intent to erase a national, ethnic, religious, etc. identity.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Endman posted:

please show me the lurkers, mr cuttlefush

i used to be one

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I did not leave that out, I summarized it in a single line. A discussion of the "mental element: the 'intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such"; and' is contained within the video I posted above.

Yes, and what I’m saying is that only one party has banned a religion so far as I know and the national, but more importantly “ethnic” and “racial” definitions have a very illuminating historical context. By all means, be the Lorax who speaks for the Ruthenes, but you’re not seeing the forest for the trees.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Feb 25, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

They were not done with the intent to erase a national, ethnic, religious, etc. identity.

absolutely it was. its called 'democratization' and its genocide

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

You know there are Ukrainians living in the Russian Federation, they can speak Ukrainian and read books in Ukrainian and get educated in Ukrainian. If the claim is that the Russians want to get rid of Ukrainian identity in Russia itself, they don't seem to be doing it.

You could certainly argue that the Russians are waging a war against the Ukrainian state, and that Ukrainians are dying from this war but I think there should be a higher burden.

Also, the Ukrainian government has been targetting civilian areas in the Donbass region specifically which again gets a bit tricky on who is doing what here.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Feb 25, 2023

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ardennes posted:

I am just looking through the endnotes now, and it is worse than I thought. It really has very very little in Russian and almost nothing from the Soviet archives. Also, a lot of it is literature. I don't think it is real research to be honest considering the subject, there should be a standard for a monograph that is making significant claims.

Yeahh. There should be, and yet.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Cthulu Carl posted:

I dunno what's goin' on with the "So you love genocide and want to marry it" dude, but I'd still like to know the thread stance on pierogi and possibly even borshch.

pierogi are good, pelmeni with smetana is one of my favorite foods, borshch is ok, shchi is good soup. is that what you want. are you happy to read this post.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

CODChimera posted:

someone ask in SAD if we can get a new ik for the thread

I'm working on it! You can always PM me suggestions as well.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

pierogi are good, pelmeni with smetana is one of my favorite foods, borshch is ok, shchi is good soup. is that what you want. are you happy to read this post.

I'm never truly happy, but this will do, thank you.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

A modest proposal: destroy GBS other than the Simpsons memes thread. :hmmyes:

Endman
May 18, 2010

I support any food from the dumpling family and also I am very hungry

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

oh no, people don't like genocide :(

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Also, rule number one of having Ukrainian family members is don’t call varenyky pierogi. They are way too touchy about that sort of thing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Someone asked for a post stressing how much Tim Snyder sucks, in the absence of a better one heres mine from last thread:

Neurolimal posted:

Most of the GBS thread hatereads this one, so its worth briefly touching on why Snyder is a grotesque hack, who is only tolerated because his 'research' was beneficial to EEuropean nationalists post-USSR. First I'd recommend Israeli historian Omer Bartov's review, of which you can read a sample of here, for a critique from someone who is stern on the USSR (but not rabidly aggressive) and boasts a respectable pedigree. If you do desire a more aggressively anti-communist critique, you could look into British historian Richard J. Evans' review of the book, who manages to quote fascist enabler Anne Applebaum's work while still calling out Snyder's ham-handed attempt to equivocate the Holocaust & Holodomor as equal racial purges. Esteemed American philosopher Thomas Kuhn's Great Men and Large Numbers: Undertheorising a History of Mass Killing not only equates Snyder's """"work"""" to the earliest iterations of Double Genocide Theory, but also critiques the pulp as lacking the local nuance that was vital to the execution of the Holocaust & the incompetence of the Holodomor. Israeli-German historian Dan Diner's Topography of Interpretation: Reviewing Timothy Snyder's Bloodlands derides the book as presenting it as a polono-centric reimagining of the war & its associated events.

Evans has a particularly scathing comment on Snyder's intent:

Richard J. Evans posted:

The prose style in which he conveys his facts doesn't help: the endless succession of short sentences hits us like a series of blows from a cudgel until eventually brain death sets in. The same phrases and formulations are repeated over and over again in an almost incantatory fashion. as if Snyder doesn't want us to think critically about what he is telling us, just to feel the pain of what he is describing.

These are just a few of the critiques levied towards Snyder's story. Jacques Sémelin has organized several more. He lightly touches on each critique, while playing dumb about why Snyder chooses to omit several events and regions (perhaps to appear less biased) which dismantle the equivocation. And these are just the criticisms from politically moderate (even, in some ways, conservative) and accredited historians & philosophers. Younger historians, less prone to the revisionism inflicted upon Eastern Europe, are significantly more scathing.

Snyder's work is trash. Useful trash, if your goal is to kickstart a new nationalist legacy after the collapse of the USSR, but trash nonetheless. It belongs at the bottom of a toilet. You should be skeptical of anyone who has read it and left with a positive impression. The good news is that the odds of anyone in the GBS thread having read it is very low, and that it's likely only recommended because it's That Soviet Genocide Book.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm never truly happy, but this will do, thank you.

Theres a really good hong kong borschtllike I made recently that was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Ub51JH5EA

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have those exact same glasses

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

however i am much less fat than newman from seinfeld

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

alright i didn't watch the video and i'm just skimming the transcript function from youtube but this bit i think highlights the disconnect between the two sides on this issue

quote:

18:52
by the way genocide is met if any of the following crimes have been committed okay so the first one is killing members
18:58
of the group this has obviously happened the war itself the bombing from the sky the missiles
19:06
and the drones directed at civilians in mariupole alone it looks like more than 100 000 civilians were killed in
19:14
one city alone the executions everywhere that Russia occupied territory the death pits which
19:20
are found again and again in small and medium-sized places that the Russians occupied
19:26
the targeted killings of people regarded as being active in Ukrainian Civil Society
19:32
the filtration camps in which people regarded as politically active or simply men of a certain age are taken out and
19:39
killed all of these things amount to killing members of a group

now if the section about filtration camps and murder are true then yeah he and you have a point. the problem is i have not seen evidence of russians comitting mass killings at the filtration camps, i cannot find news articles about mass killings, and what i can find about the camps points to them sucking rear end to be in but they're not auschwitz or katyn.

skimming through the next couple of minutes he offers no proof or evidence of his killings claim and then he says this

quote:

21:24
the third Criterion of genocide is a crime
21:30
is deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical
21:36
destruction in whole or in part again this is obviously the case the
21:43
deliberate destruction of whole cities The Campaign which is unfolding right
21:48
now to deny ukrainians access to water and electricity over the winter those
21:54
are the conditions of life and again Russian propagandists Russian
22:00
politicians make no secret about this they boast that this is what they are
22:05
doing they say it openly

if this counts as "bringing about the destruction of the group in whole or in part" then every bombing campaign by the allies in ww2 was a genocide, the bombing of haiphong during vietnam was a genocide, and the second battle of fallujah was a genocide

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pretty sure only one side is limiting among other things: Political Parties, Religion, Languages

And has a habit of initiating government sponsored pogroms on minorities (government sponsored because they incorporated the right wing nationalist militias that do it into their national guard). Alas I wouldn't call ukranian actions against the Roma right now genocide, since they are content with displacing them and not just wiping them out

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Horseshoe theory posted:

A modest proposal: destroy GBS other than the Simpsons memes thread. :hmmyes:

but the crab thread

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

lobster shirt posted:

i have those exact same glasses

I'd like to order a stegosaurus please

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

alright i didn't watch the video and i'm just skimming the transcript function from youtube but this bit i think highlights the disconnect between the two sides on this issue

now if the section about filtration camps and murder are true then yeah he and you have a point. the problem is i have not seen evidence of russians comitting mass killings at the filtration camps, i cannot find news articles about mass killings, and what i can find about the camps points to them sucking rear end to be in but they're not auschwitz or katyn.

skimming through the next couple of minutes he offers no proof or evidence of his killings claim and then he says this

if this counts as "bringing about the destruction of the group in whole or in part" then every bombing campaign by the allies in ww2 was a genocide, the bombing of haiphong during vietnam was a genocide, and the second battle of fallujah was a genocide

The most straightforward rebuttal is that there are tons of real deal Ukrainians in Russia, not simply Russians who fled from Ukraine, and nothing has happened to them. Random Dagestani minorities like the Kumyks have complained more about the war than the Ukrainians. Nobody in the media, even the Ukrainian propaganda farms, have been able to come up with any example of anti-Ukrainian policy or atrocities in Russia itself, which is not really what you expect from a country that's supposed to be genociding them

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

but the crab thread

Well, I am a fan of Crabitalism, so OK.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

but the crab thread

the what

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cthulu Carl posted:

disgusting aberrations and corruptions of the heavenly morsels from the celestial kingdom

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/The_Real_Fly/status/1629333904011194368

z man laying down sick burns against tankies everywhere

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Neurolimal posted:

Someone asked for a post stressing how much Tim Snyder sucks, in the absence of a better one heres mine from last thread:

i think this is actually the post i was thinking of, thanks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/grylxndr/status/1629056623078518786?t=meMRGVLm5rBIIBEGu9viQw&s=19

https://twitter.com/grylxndr/status/1629130526618517505?t=EH8dE98HzE6apz9suaHhlw&s=19

FF is right and we need to bring back the Austro-Hungarian Empire to foster greater tolerance in the region

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/The_Real_Fly/status/1629333904011194368

z man laying down sick burns against tankies everywhere

when you ukraini but she still slavan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1629300358206898176