Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

hatty posted:

That's the ticket, thanks! a companion is fine in the From souls games but a game where parrying is a major mechanic id like the boss to be focused on me at all times

Ya honestly it's kinda weird because the ai does barely any dmg to the boss since it won't parry and you end up having to chase the boss around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Did the sword seem like easy mode to anyone else? You built up spirit at very high rate then the kick easy to pull off does great spirit damage.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Calidus posted:

Did the sword seem like easy mode to anyone else? You built up spirit at very high rate then the kick easy to pull off does great spirit damage.

it's my favorite generic weapon by far, especially since it scales excellently for spellcasters. really good attack sequence and good selection of martial arts

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

finished up my third play of the demo and it's a drat good game, folks

even the terrible mouselook didn't stop me from having a blast; i realized, like, halfway through my second run that i'd started unconsciously flicking the mouse to maneuver the camera around like i was tugging a particularly stubborn donkey

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ulio posted:

-The fortitude/moral system seems kinda busted once you get really high rank on it, you can tank multiple unblockable boss hits.

Yeah, agreed. I got curious to see what would happen if I got my morale up super high before the first boss, so I got myself up to lv. 25 beforehand, and I just shredded him. I'm sure later bosses will have higher morale and later levels won't be as easy to grind it on, but right now it seems like an easy way for a player to just ignore a boss's gimmick if you're patient enough

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Some people are saying there’s a secret boss in the second level? Anyone know what they mean? I figure they’re just dumb and referring to the high level guy around the one corner, but if there is another boss I want to fight it.

Reframing Sekiro’s posture meters as a tug of war is a simple but clever idea. The way being on the positive side of the tug of war gives you extra attacks is really cool. Really fun demo.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bugblatter posted:

Some people are saying there’s a secret boss in the second level? Anyone know what they mean? I figure they’re just dumb and referring to the high level guy around the one corner, but if there is another boss I want to fight it.

Reframing Sekiro’s posture meters as a tug of war is a simple but clever idea. The way being on the positive side of the tug of war gives you extra attacks is really cool. Really fun demo.

Yeah I think that was just a misunderstanding. There’s a “secret” mini boss in the 1st level(not really secret just off the main path) but nothing like that in the 2nd level as far as I know

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, agreed. I got curious to see what would happen if I got my morale up super high before the first boss, so I got myself up to lv. 25 beforehand, and I just shredded him. I'm sure later bosses will have higher morale and later levels won't be as easy to grind it on, but right now it seems like an easy way for a player to just ignore a boss's gimmick if you're patient enough

it's a good way to give the game a more granular "easy mode" that's also build neutral: you don't want players grinding out actual levels and ruining your planned character progression curve, so you have a secondary leveling system that's mission-dependent and based more around exploration than raw combat to give people an out if they really get stuck

Bugblatter posted:

Reframing Sekiro’s posture meters as a tug of war is a simple but clever idea.

it's my favorite part of the game's mechanics, because it promotes risk taking and aggression while leaving a buffer for players of different skill levels to use. gaining high spirit is the core thrust of the combat loop and is something everyone will mostly engage with equally, but being able to go into low spirit benefits both less skilled players (since they have a buffer to fall back on for guarding/dodging or inefficiently using martial arts/spells) and high skill players (who can carefully manage low spirit to let them increase pressure on their enemy's spirit without dropping into stagger). it's a fantastic multi-tiered system

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i enjoyed the demo but i think that streamlining systems and a bigger focus on parrying is just not what i want out of one of these at the moment

the game seems good though. this is primarily an aesthetic complaint because the actual movesets seem pretty neat but i hope the eventual dlc adds some weirder weapon types.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

RatHat posted:

Yeah I think that was just a misunderstanding. There’s a “secret” mini boss in the 1st level(not really secret just off the main path) but nothing like that in the 2nd level as far as I know

No the second level has one too. First level it’s the tiger, second level it’s big brute. From the last checkpoint you can turn around and jump up some ledges to find him.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

i enjoyed the demo but i think that streamlining systems and a bigger focus on parrying is just not what i want out of one of these at the moment

the game seems good though. this is primarily an aesthetic complaint because the actual movesets seem pretty neat but i hope the eventual dlc adds some weirder weapon types.

it's gonna be divisive, unfortunately, especially for nioh 2 fans, but i'm sympathetic to team ninja wanting to punch up and get a true smash hit on their hands, even if that means carving away the knots that made nioh 2 so charming

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm fine with a streamlined game if nioh 3 happens eventually, did 2 do okay?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hatty posted:

I'm fine with a streamlined game if nioh 3 happens eventually, did 2 do okay?

it sold around 2.5 million units by 2022, which ain't bad by video game standards, although it's definitely not in runaway hit territory

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
yeah i think it's great that team ninja changed it up - i'm more just looking for an excuse to grouse about my personal burnout around parrying as a mechanic though this is no fault with this game

if their previous support holds true for this one all it means is i'll play it later with some hefty dlcs bundled in

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Nioh was bat poo poo crazy to try and learn, then 2 added even more stuff. I got underworld 30 or 40 so I say that as someone who really likes the game.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Wo Long looks to have the potential to cause some some people to give Nioh a first or second chance if they get the hang of Wo Long. I know Bloodborne did good things for Dark Souls sales.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This kinda rules, count me as one of the rubes who liked Nioh but couldn't really master the stance system so this feels great. The parry window is hard as hell but not impossible. Runs fine for me as well with everything maxed out, 3080ti/5800X3D. Really looking forward to playing more of this!

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I think the stance system was fine, I just really hated the ki pulse stuff. It never felt quite right trying to do that while also focusing on killing a guy.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Takes No Damage posted:

Thinking back I bet this is exactly what I was getting. I thought it was growling like a dragon or something was talking to you, but it was actually just the cutscene dialogue being played at 1% speed :raise: I did notice that the PC demo was 2.00 while the PS was 2.01, have they pushed out any patches for PC since this morning?

I don't think so. Some people are saying downloading "VP9 video extensions" from the windows store fixes it, but I seem to already have that (maybe an older version). Also already uninstalled the demo, so :shrug:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

explosivo posted:

This kinda rules, count me as one of the rubes who liked Nioh but couldn't really master the stance system so this feels great. The parry window is hard as hell but not impossible. Runs fine for me as well with everything maxed out, 3080ti/5800X3D. Really looking forward to playing more of this!

I'm not sure how much it actually matters but from the description of the equipment weight stat it seems like current encumberance affects your parry window, so if you're finding it really tough maybe that's related?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

goferchan posted:

I'm not sure how much it actually matters but from the description of the equipment weight stat it seems like current encumberance affects your parry window, so if you're finding it really tough maybe that's related?

from what i understand, "deflection difficulty" is just the confusingly-named stat that affects how much spirit deflecting an attack costs as a percentage, rather than any kind of parry frame fuckery

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I wish I saw what others are seeing in this demo.I played Nioh 1 and liked it well enough. Skipped 2. Was pretty excited for this and I'm very unimpressed.

It feels like a low effort C-tier rip off Sekiro. The levels are copy/pasted asset generic dull messes. The combat feels weightless. It was just so uninteresting.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I almost beat the first boss in one try but it took me like 40 deaths to kill a loving tiger.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I’m not sure how I feel about the morale system. If your morale is low you get one-shot, but if your morale is high you take like 30% of the damage, I hope it doesn’t end up meaning the way to beat a hard boss isn’t to learn the boss’s moves, it’s to just grind on weak mobs.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I'm hoping it's just jacked up for the demo so people can interact with the system in a way that's feasible for just a two-level vertical slice, it seems way too strong otherwise

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just gotta farm those dudes before the tiger until your morale is high enough and then it's piss easy.
Great mechanics.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

I’m not sure how I feel about the morale system. If your morale is low you get one-shot, but if your morale is high you take like 30% of the damage, I hope it doesn’t end up meaning the way to beat a hard boss isn’t to learn the boss’s moves, it’s to just grind on weak mobs.

i kinda feel like your morale should have a ceiling based on the number of flags raised, since it otherwise could end up becoming a bit of a win-more mechanic for skilled players

it's fine to become incrementally stronger as you progress through the level, but hitting the midpoint at 10 morale when you're already good at parrying means you're probably gonna steamroll the rest of it

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Btw if you’re struggling with the 2nd phase of the 1st boss you only need to get him to around 70% and then you can use Triangle+Circle(not sure what is is on PC) to end the fight. I think the message to tell you this is bugged because it doesn’t appear right away

I think it does appear, but it appears in the exact spot that a tip telling you about deflecting was for the entire fight, so unless you're staring right at it you very likely won't notice that the text has changed. That actually should be fixed for the real game. Just make it an autopop like the first Nioh 2 boss :rolleyes:

hatty posted:

That's the ticket, thanks! a companion is fine in the From souls games but a game where parrying is a major mechanic id like the boss to be focused on me at all times

He did manage to save me a couple of times by pulling aggro so I could drink a heal.

RatHat posted:

🎵 Hello Nue my old friend 🎶

itry posted:

I don't think so. Some people are saying downloading "VP9 video extensions" from the windows store fixes it, but I seem to already have that (maybe an older version). Also already uninstalled the demo, so :shrug:

Yeah I saw that too, but didn't find a Linux version and just moved over to my PS4. It sounds like the devs don't have the greatest track record with PC ports anyway so sticking to console isn't the end of the world. The loading screens aren't great but I haven't noticed any problems with actual gameplay yet.

WarEternal posted:

I almost beat the first boss in one try but it took me like 40 deaths to kill a loving tiger.

Secret tiger only took me a few tries, as did the first boss! Or so I thought, then phase 2 spanked me for an hour+ :negative:

Some clips from the first level:

Secret Tiger Fight
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1629341311344996352
At this point I didn't really know how the 'stamina' system worked, didn't feel like I understood it well until watching myself fight the first boss and just watching the bar to see what affected it and how.

Still panic'dly mashing buttons but this fight ended up looking cool
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1629345465668980739

A decent run at boss 1 phase 1
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1629358259088814081
Digging the lightning strike as a wakeup :science:

And my winning run an hour later
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QZwBbROV4I
That quick fire blast is a lot of fun to work in to your regular combos. Also note how completely unnoticeable the prompt is to end the fight. I bet I got it several times throughout my attempts and just didn't see the drat thing :doh: FutureProTip: Pay attention to the brightly flashing icon on the far right...

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 25, 2023

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

WarEternal posted:

The tiger was easy once I figured out where to stand to actually trigger the sneak attack of 1/2 its health and then just used my spells that had just unlocked to bring it down.

I think I really like the morale system, because it cuts down on the grinding if you are stuck, while still giving you the opportunity for challenging stronger foes ahead of time if you want to.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

haven't played the new demo yet but in the first one the maximum morale, maximum fortitude, and the boss' level were all set to the same number, so just finding all the flags put you equal to the boss even after dying and there was no incentive to grind for levels that would only last 1 attempt. Not good if they changed that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

haven't played the new demo yet but in the first one the maximum morale, maximum fortitude, and the boss' level were all set to the same number, so just finding all the flags put you equal to the boss even after dying and there was no incentive to grind for levels that would only last 1 attempt. Not good if they changed that.

I still don't really understand all the numbers flying around, but at the end of the first level I had 3/3 of both icons at the top of the screen, which I assume are the big flag checkpoints and small flag morale increases. I died at the boss for a while and always stayed at 10 morale.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Getting all the flags on the first level gets you up to 10 which is the same as the boss, but the upper limit is higher than that, don't know the max but at least 15.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Was not even aware there was a tiger to fight.

Anyway, this game owns and I'm most likely gonna get it day 1 like I did with Nioh 1 and 2.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Just gotta farm those dudes before the tiger until your morale is high enough and then it's piss easy.
Great mechanics.

I mean it’s there if you want to use it, no one is making you do it. I think it’s great to have an optional method to make a fight go in your favour if you’re stuck.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure I just found the optional boss in the 2nd level, my buddy was like 'hey are you sure you want to go in there? We could totally turn around right now...' Getting nostalgic Dark Souls vibes of turning a random corner and seeing a dozen player bloodstains :rip:

Like others said, the actual midway boss (giant monkey demon thing?) was pretty easy, beat it first try with my new wooden cudgel. The numbers aren't as good as my sword but I love the *bonk* noises it makes when I'm crackin' heads.

e:
Probably just a combination of better character/gear and learning the battle mechanics, but everything in stage 2 is way easier than 1:
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1629431787872043016?s=20

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 25, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vermain posted:

it's gonna be divisive, unfortunately, especially for nioh 2 fans, but i'm sympathetic to team ninja wanting to punch up and get a true smash hit on their hands, even if that means carving away the knots that made nioh 2 so charming

I don't think this game has much of a chance of being a smash hit. At the end of the day you're limited to one play style (which goes against what people liked about Elden Ring, the massive freedom), the level based system will feel like a step back from Elden Ring, the level design is kinda bad compared to From games, ancient China isn't traditionally the setting with the most mass appeal outside of China, and the game's gonna launch with a reputation for being "Sekiro, but even more bullshit". That reputation might not be 100% earned, but it's gonna be there.

Obviously Team Ninja really wanted to make this game, but I'm not sure it's gonna pay off for them.

As a personal take, the loot system feels kinda bad. I've received multiple weapons that have a higher rarity and a bigger star rating than the lovely sword I started with, but either they don't even match the lovely starter sword's power, or the game does an awful job of presenting the weapon's actual stats.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean it’s there if you want to use it, no one is making you do it. I think it’s great to have an optional method to make a fight go in your favour if you’re stuck.

k

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

As a personal take, the loot system feels kinda bad. I've received multiple weapons that have a higher rarity and a bigger star rating than the lovely sword I started with, but either they don't even match the lovely starter sword's power, or the game does an awful job of presenting the weapon's actual stats.

If it's anything like the Niohs, the bonuses are more important than the overall strength. Those and fashion.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Takes No Damage posted:

If it's anything like the Niohs, the bonuses are more important than the overall strength. Those and fashion.

Yeah, as someone who played and loved both Niohs that's what I also suspect, but the game does a pretty awful job of presenting the information in any reasonable format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I don't think this game has much of a chance of being a smash hit. At the end of the day you're limited to one play style (which goes against what people liked about Elden Ring, the massive freedom), the level based system will feel like a step back from Elden Ring, the level design is kinda bad compared to From games, ancient China isn't traditionally the setting with the most mass appeal outside of China, and the game's gonna launch with a reputation for being "Sekiro, but even more bullshit". That reputation might not be 100% earned, but it's gonna be there.

Obviously Team Ninja really wanted to make this game, but I'm not sure it's gonna pay off for them.

It's on game pass which will at least give it a player count boost. I don't think this is gonna do Nioh 2 numbers, for various reasons (the most simple one being that "Wo Long" is a name that no mainstream audience in the west is going to remember), but as someone who liked Nioh but couldn't get into stance buffering and flux recovery controller dancing, it's basically exactly what I wanted.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 25, 2023