Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Get a load of these barbarians

What about the shareholders?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh and the other thing Murz talked about is how the russian army is "too wasteful".

That their artillery crews would just leave some unspent shells lying around when leaving their positions. So some officer from LNR would go around collecting them in the morning because well the militias are always low on everything.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't know but I'm still leaning Russia, as an attempt to drive a wedge between NATO allies. If Putin just let the US destroy his pipeline with no response then he's far more cucked than any European

imagine making a post so bad it stands out even when youre competing with the epic snuff guys who want to war crime all russians

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Jimlit posted:

Nah we just think of Russia fire bombing whole cities in Syria and it evens out.

:pwn:

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Budzilla posted:

How did I defend the QE? I pointed out how woeful Russian military procurement is. I thought using a ramp based non-nuclear carrier that fields the runt of the F-35 litter to be a good example of how much Russia sucks at modern equipment.

It was actually pretty clear and a good point.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

Oh and the other thing Murz talked about is how the russian army is "too wasteful".

That their artillery crews would just leave some unspent shells lying around when leaving their positions. So some officer from LNR would go around collecting them in the morning because well the militias are always low on everything.

Yeah, that's a wartime measure that we were trained for too, it's even in the field manuals. Basically, shells and propellant come in cases. Once the case is open, which they need to be at the gun position if you're in a war situation, repacking a projectile, sorting propellants by lots, that's all time consuming stuff that's not the gun crews' problem. Logistics guys are supposed to salvage it, but the battery needs to keep fighting.

War, conventional war especially, is extremely wasteful.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Dude think of all the unsecured pipelines and communication cables all over the planet

The reason countries don't gently caress around with these all the time is because of repercussions, not because they have little underwater guard posts

And I mean natural repercussions, like wrecking cheap access to a resource that your ally relies on for most of its industry. Luckily for the US the EU is not currently rational and either doesn't care or doesn't know its being cannibalised by the hegemony.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Jimlit posted:

Nah we just think of Russia fire bombing whole cities in Syria and it evens out.

would you say that assad must go

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

where was the f-35 tested in actual dog fighting combat for you to make this claim.

Dog fighting isn’t a thing anymore and isn’t what the F35 is built for.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The F-35 is a pretty good plane in Ace Combat 7...

...when it can carry 120 missiles at a time, has infinite cannon ammo, always has perfect radar information on all enemies, is never mechanically troubled, does not have to worry about fuel consumption, and flies with maneuvering characteristics taken at face-value from the manufacturer

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Its built for popping balloons.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

New great book about this I have on order. Would it shock you to know there's a lot of race science and orientalism at work in how Sun Tsu is (mis)understood, even among western staff officers?

Sun Tzu in the West: The Anglo-American Art of War

"It would be hard to overstate the impact of Sun Tzu's The Art of War on military thought. Beyond its impact in Asia, the work has been required reading in translation for US military personnel since the Cold War. Sun Tzu has been interpreted as arguing for 'Indirect Strategy' in contrast to 'Direct Strategy,' the latter idea stemming from Ancient Greece. This is a product of twentieth-century Western thinking, specifically that of Liddell Hart, who influenced Samuel B. Griffith's 1963 translation of Sun Tzu. The credibility of Griffith's translation was enhanced by his combat experience in the Pacific during World War II, and his translation of Mao Zedong's On Guerrilla War. This reading of Sun Tzu is, however, very different from Chinese interpretations. Western strategic thinkers have used Sun Tzu as a foil or facilitator for their own thinking, inadvertently engaging the Western military tradition and propagating misleading generalizations about Chinese warfare."

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Weapons shortages mean HMS Queen Elizabeth isn't fully armed, says ex-Navy chief

UK’s only operating aircraft carrier travelling without fighter jets on board

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Budzilla posted:

non-nuclear carrier

Smh at all this fossil fuel usage

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
well you don't expect the royal navy to fight do you? Its not like they have an entire subcontinent to suck dry :(

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Budzilla posted:

"artisanally-made western military materiel" wtf?

I came into this thread a week ago to see posters here getting harder than granite over Russian aircraft like the Su-57 and Su-75 and how great they are and I poo poo it up by pointing out that

https://twitter.com/AlexHollings52/status/1576003763675856896

Get this. The F-35 has an availability rate of ~55%(lol). Let's just say an even 50%. The QE aircraft carrier can carry 36 F-35Bs at any 1 time. This means that on average there are 3 less F-35s that are available to fly on a single carrier at this very moment than Su-57 Felons(only 21 made including prototypes) in existence. This is assuming that the Su-57 has a 100% availability rate. So a single QE carrier can go toe to toe with the entire Russian 5th Gen fleet. The F-35 is a mass produced product that is very complicated to produce.

The F-35 might suck rear end and a lot of it. But compared to other military projects in Russia there is something to show for it. Look at the T-14. Russia was expecting to field 2000+ T-14s mid this decade and they have been reduced to putting commercially available thermals on T-62s. Doesn't this tell you something?

It's a fun what-if argument that's wholly dependent on NATO declaring actual war against Russia. Which, lmao

Better hope the QE delivery* to Ukraine full of F35's gets bankrolled by the IMF I guess

*pending dry weather

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace recently admitted that the Army had been “hollowed out”, after claims from an American general that the UK was no longer a top-tier fighting force.

According to Sky News, the US general privately told Mr Wallace: “You haven’t got a tier one — it’s barely tier two.”

France has also raised concerns about the state of the British Armed Forces, saying budget cuts were causing alarm among Nato members.

The UK has donated a large amount of weapons to Ukraine for its fight against Russia, including Sea King helicopters, artillery shells and 14 Challenger 2 tanks. Most recently it became the first country to commit long-range weapons.

Lord West said the war in Ukraine had affected worldwide munitions supply chains but the government had settled into a policy of ordering weapons when they were needed to save money.

“‘Just-in-time’ is the mantra because it means you can cut right down on other things,” he said.

“The problem is you have absolutely no resilience whatsoever. If something goes wrong, if something changes, you’ve got a real problem.

“That’s been the problem. It has been just enough, just-in-time, and that’s not a very clever way of doing stuff within the military.”

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

i clicked to quote this but then i saw this and lmao

speng31b posted:

your gimmick works best when you're making deranged comparisons to slavery imo, you should think up more of these

In the same way that the American Civil War was about states' rights (specifically, the right for states to allow slavery) the Russian War of Aggression is about NATO expansion (because NATO membership would prevent Putin from achieving his imperial ambitions in Ukraine).

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Look at this massive advanced plane supply system we have. We don't even need artillery.

meanwhile "volunteers" crying that they are fighting another side that has more artillery than them.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

fanfic insert posted:

It tells me that Russia doesn't sink endless amount of money into its military projects because they don't plan to conquer and dominate the world, like the US does, and only engages in conflicts in their proximity which they find vital to their own, or their allies, independence, while also not having a for-profit military industrial complex but rather a mostly state owned one originally meant to mainly be a deterrence.

Kinda seems like that's not true, as they are actively engaged in trying to conquer and dominate the world right now.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

New great book about this I have on order. Would it shock you to know there's a lot of race science and orientalism at work in how Sun Tsu is (mis)understood, even among western staff officers?

never been in the military and only rubbed elbows with a few staff people ever but it always struck me that a lot of the worship around military philosophers like sun tzu tends to be post-hoc rationalizations of stuff they already believe or want to push anyway based either on their own personal ideas about warfare or actual combat experience, not the other way around.

I guess that's what the book is arguing so it's good to see someone else point it out, because sun tzu and co rarely seem to come up when it comes to actual operational planning let alone the guys working on the troop transport timelines or some poor NCO in a trench.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

I move that we consider jimlit to be gbs's best and brightest

when gibbis are sending their people they're not sending their best. they’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. they’re bringing propaganda. they’re bringing bloodlust. they’re liberals. and some, I assume, are good people

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
quoting sun tzu makes you feel like a badass philosopher.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Drag selection box around whole army and right click on the enemy jeep - Sun Tzu

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Isizzlehorn posted:

Better hope the QE delivery* to Ukraine full of F35's gets bankrolled by the IMF I guess

*pending dry weather

I too get my information about the F35 from Esquire articles from half a decade ago.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

VorpalFish posted:

Kinda seems like that's not true, as they are actively engaged in trying to conquer and dominate the world right now.

ukraine is not the world

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Jel Shaker posted:

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace recently admitted that the Army had been “hollowed out”, after claims from an American general that the UK was no longer a top-tier fighting force.

According to Sky News, the US general privately told Mr Wallace: “You haven’t got a tier one — it’s barely tier two.”

France has also raised concerns about the state of the British Armed Forces, saying budget cuts were causing alarm among Nato members.

The UK has donated a large amount of weapons to Ukraine for its fight against Russia, including Sea King helicopters, artillery shells and 14 Challenger 2 tanks. Most recently it became the first country to commit long-range weapons.

Lord West said the war in Ukraine had affected worldwide munitions supply chains but the government had settled into a policy of ordering weapons when they were needed to save money.

“‘Just-in-time’ is the mantra because it means you can cut right down on other things,” he said.

“The problem is you have absolutely no resilience whatsoever. If something goes wrong, if something changes, you’ve got a real problem.

“That’s been the problem. It has been just enough, just-in-time, and that’s not a very clever way of doing stuff within the military.”

yea they're sea kings..... seeking ammo :wal:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

ukraine is not the world

it is to the kind of person who has a massive meltdown because their thread got closed

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

kronix posted:

I too get my information about the F35 from Esquire articles from half a decade ago.

Well where do we get information about it now?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/pete-doherty-last-leg-ukraine-b2289452.html

slava ukrani baby

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kronix posted:

Show me a country with a Roma population in Western Europe and I’ll show you a country that treats them like poo poo. Show me where you advocate the US cutting off ties with France or Spain? Two countries with absolutely abysmal records of abuse that continues to this day.

I do give a poo poo about all of it, it’s just fun to call out hypocrites that can’t shut the gently caress up about Azov but don’t have nearly as much Enthusiasm about the Wagner group.

kronix posted:

You do realize that a lot of Ukrainian refugees are immediately employable and already speak English right?

I’m not saying that there isn’t a bit of white refugees good, brown ones bad but if you don’t think there’s a massive difference between a farmer from Afghanistan and Ukrainian refugee who was up until 2 months ago working for a tech company I dunno what to tell you.

buymp

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I don't know but I'm still leaning Russia, as an attempt to drive a wedge between NATO allies. If Putin just let the US destroy his pipeline with no response then he's far more cucked than any European

They are literally at war, the bombing was the response.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

never been in the military and only rubbed elbows with a few staff people ever but it always struck me that a lot of the worship around military philosophers like sun tzu tends to be post-hoc rationalizations of stuff they already believe or want to push anyway based either on their own personal ideas about warfare or actual combat experience, not the other way around.

I guess that's what the book is arguing so it's good to see someone else point it out, because sun tzu and co rarely seem to come up when it comes to actual operational planning let alone the guys working on the troop transport timelines or some poor NCO in a trench.

It's an appeal to authority. If some rando says "do this thing to win", nobody cares, but if you can make it sound like the thing is actually something that Sun Tzu recommended if you squint hard enough, then suddenly it makes sense.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Regarde Aduck posted:

War Thunder leaks.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

VorpalFish posted:

Yeah that's why their initial peace proposal included having 3 NATO countries(the 3 with the biggest armies) guarantee the independence of Ukraine in exchange for not actively arming them with NATO weapon and military bases(i.e staying out of NATO), while also saying they wouldn't mind Ukraine joining the EU which has an article similar to Article 5 of NATO saying if one is attacked it's considered an attack on all. Seems like a poor idea if you wanna keep rolling over Europe.

But I guess BoJo sabotaging it because the west wasnt done with Russia isn't relevant

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Regarde Aduck posted:

The LazerPig youtube channel

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

VorpalFish posted:

ukraine is not the world, even tho western media likes to make like it is because of #FFFFFF

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

The LazerPig youtube channel

Love that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Dude think of all the unsecured pipelines and communication cables all over the planet

The reason countries don't gently caress around with these all the time is because of repercussions, not because they have little underwater guard posts

And I mean natural repercussions, like wrecking cheap access to a resource that your ally relies on for most of its industry. Luckily for the US the EU is not currently rational and either doesn't care or doesn't know its being cannibalised by the hegemony.
Indeed - if the US blew up the pipeline then Russia could very easily respond in a way that would strongly discourage the US from doing anything similar in the future. They have not, for some reason. Framing the action as so self-destructive and irrational from the US perspective that it's somehow its own punishment only decreases the credibility of the theory. Although again, I'd point out that Russia had already shut off the gas to Germany prior to the sabotage, and that there's still a an intact pipeline that gas delivery has not resumed down, so once again Germany's present lack of gas is due to political decisions in Russia (to cut Germany off as a strategy to make them stop supporting Ukraine) and Germany (to continue supporting Ukraine) rather than the sabotage.