Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Off the top of my head like half those games you just listed don’t have native Linux versions and would be played under proton so it sounds like even by your own super exacting standards you’re not sure what you’re looking for, but godspeed anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kwolok posted:

I really wish someone would make a list of "perfect for steam deck games". I'm talking native, not streamed, not emulated titles that are a great fit for steam deck. Sure I can run horizon zero dawn or death stranding on it but I don't really care to put big AAA games on deck because I have to down grade the visuals so much or live with a sub 60 fps, that I'd just prefer to play it on my actual computer or couch.

But for me the perfect steam deck games are things like Hades, or Celeste, or bugsnax or darq or Cuphead or dead cells, or deaths door or tunic or fez.

These are like peak games for me and I wish it were easier for me to find titles like this. Graphically beautiful but less intensive modern titles with a controller first design. These games are perfect and I need more of them!

Pick a game from like 2016 or earlier and you’ve got your list.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I would hardly say it's a very specific thing. I don't want to run the steam deck for titles it's not built for. And streaming is always more hassle for me then it's worth. The list is decent already. Add to it the Yakuza series and the Ori series.

Maybe I should make this list since most of my steam deck friends and I share this sentiment.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

None of those games are “native” either lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sigher posted:

No one should be on anything but Stable, doubly so if you have Decky.
OS stable absolutely but, client beta currently has local transfer which is Very Nice

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If only there was some sort of database of games that ran well on proton. Some sort of ProtonDB, if you will.

https://www.protondb.com/explore?sort=wilsonRating

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

History Comes Inside! posted:

None of those games are “native” either lol

Sorry, I'm using the term native wrong. I just mean running on the steam deck and not streamed from another machine. Proton kinda defeats the purpose of native right? If it can run I don't care if it's running on Linux or via proton unless there is some big gotcha I don't know about.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Shoehead posted:

If only there was some sort of database of games that ran well on proton. Some sort of ProtonDB, if you will.

https://www.protondb.com/explore?sort=wilsonRating

Again the problem is sifting through these are hard. Control is rated platinum but I don't want to play a game like that on low settings with a low frame rate.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kwolok posted:

Sorry, I'm using the term native wrong. I just mean running on the steam deck and not streamed from another machine. Proton kinda defeats the purpose of native right? If it can run I don't care if it's running on Linux or via proton unless there is some big gotcha I don't know about.

I know you said no emulators, but like.... Holy poo poo, I'm running Metroid Prime Trilogy on my deck, and they look great (not as nice as the remaster, but still very nice) and are pretty consistently 60fps.

Add in button shortcuts for the back buttons and you've got it made.

But I don't find your list of qualifications weird or too exact. From what I gather you want games that run to the best of their settings that work perfectly for the deck. And they aren't something like 60gb large.

Mask of the Ninja (original or remastered, whichever), Broforce, Fez, Braid, Castle Crashers, Battleblock Theatre, Monaco, etc...

If you look at what XBLA games made the jump to PC/Steam, you'll likely find exactly what you're looking for. I mention XBLA because those games usually have good controller support, especially for the Xbox controller, which shares the face button layout with the deck.

I'm sure there's a steam curator out there that lists all of these.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kwolok posted:

I really wish someone would make a list of "perfect for steam deck games". I'm talking native, not streamed, not emulated titles that are a great fit for steam deck. Sure I can run horizon zero dawn or death stranding on it but I don't really care to put big AAA games on deck because I have to down grade the visuals so much or live with a sub 60 fps, that I'd just prefer to play it on my actual computer or couch.

But for me the perfect steam deck games are things like Hades, or Celeste, or bugsnax or darq or Cuphead or dead cells, or deaths door or tunic or fez.

These are like peak games for me and I wish it were easier for me to find titles like this. Graphically beautiful but less intensive modern titles with a controller first design. These games are perfect and I need more of them!

Pizza Tower! Pizza Tower!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As always, the answer is https://store.steampowered.com/app/274190/Broforce/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It was a part of my list :colbert:

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
I hope this isnt interpreted as a troll but I have found Dwarf Fortress to be a perfect Steam Deck game.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
If we're building this list in real time, Hollow Knight is exceptional on the SD

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Science_enthusiast posted:

I hope this isnt interpreted as a troll but I have found Dwarf Fortress to be a perfect Steam Deck game.

I've considered trying it but I have never played DF before, on any platform. Are the controls easy enough on Deck or should I learn the game with a full keyboard and then switch when I'm comfortable?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I find the text too small but I bet there are easy ways round it. It runs fine and there are good control schemes the community has worked out.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Steam Deck is roguelite central. Dead Cells, Hades, Undermine, Rogue Legacy, Isaac all that poo poo

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Tayter Swift posted:

Steam Deck is roguelite central. Dead Cells, Hades, Undermine, Rogue Legacy, Isaac all that poo poo

Big fan of Hades, Isaac, Dead Cells...

I grabbed Noita recently and it's fun. Works well enough in handheld as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Did anyone manage to get rune factory 5 to work right on the deck? I tried whatever the protonDB said and it definitely didn’t work for me.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Skul the Hero Slayer is excellent on the deck as well, unsurprising as it's one of those as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't know if it's related, it could be, but since I ran the cryo thing a few days ago, I've noticed twice now in two different games (No Man's Sky and Spelunky 2) that some, but not all, of the in-game text is super low res. It seems to be dynamic text.

In No Man's Sky, it's the digital screen readouts of my screens in my starship.

In Spelunky 2, it's where the little "RB" text appears in front of a door.

Was there a setting in the cryo utility that brought the quality of certain things down super low?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I dunno what Cryo is but I had a similar thing with Symphony of War. It would boot up sometimes and be super low res, and it wasn’t a setting.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m 90% sure I know the answer but if say, Diablo 4 comes out and is not on steam how doable is playing it on a steam deck without doing enough weird stuff it just runs at 10fps

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I dunno what Cryo is but I had a similar thing with Symphony of War. It would boot up sometimes and be super low res, and it wasn’t a setting.

Ok, apparently it's not just text; the ghost characters in Spelunky 2 are also low res. All other characters and elements (aside from the RB mentioned previously) are fine.

This is really weird.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’m 90% sure I know the answer but if say, Diablo 4 comes out and is not on steam how doable is playing it on a steam deck without doing enough weird stuff it just runs at 10fps

How the gently caress would anyone know lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't know if it's related, it could be, but since I ran the cryo thing a few days ago, I've noticed twice now in two different games (No Man's Sky and Spelunky 2) that some, but not all, of the in-game text is super low res. It seems to be dynamic text.

In No Man's Sky, it's the digital screen readouts of my screens in my starship.

In Spelunky 2, it's where the little "RB" text appears in front of a door.

Was there a setting in the cryo utility that brought the quality of certain things down super low?
I don't know what that thing is but, turning on half rate shading will gently caress things up in that way. Basically any kind of optimization that fucks with render targets will because they can't distinguish which RTs are just background elements and which ones need to be legible.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

How the gently caress would anyone know lol
Ok I guess the question is how well does the steam deck play stuff out of other launchers like battle.net lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok I guess the question is how well does the steam deck play stuff out of other launchers like battle.net lol
Fine, D2 plays great because it has built in controller support, D3 works but its hard to make a good mapping for.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s normally fine but cumbersome. Blizzard broke the launcher support for a bit but I think it’s back to working now.

homeless snail posted:

Fine, D2 plays great because it has built in controller support, D3 works but its hard to make a good mapping for.

I wonder how well the Switch port of D3 works on the deck. It’d be the way to go if it ran at full speed.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Has it gotten to the point where a Steam Deck can fully replace a gaming PC if you're a casual gamer?

Because I only game every now and then. I was considering a new PC build but felt like it was buying a Corvette for going to the grocery store. I might buy a few games on sale on Steam and really don't like online gaming as much as I used to. So I was thinking of getting an iMac as a "daily driver" computer and a Steam Deck for all of my gaming needs.

Good idea or bad idea?

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I've considered trying it but I have never played DF before, on any platform. Are the controls easy enough on Deck or should I learn the game with a full keyboard and then switch when I'm comfortable?

I was im the same boat and its v smooth if you dont mind using the trackpad as a mouse. I think not having prior experience is a plus because you wont feel like the controls are a downgrade. You can stop too so I felt like I wasnt penalized while writing it.

I will also second pizza tower although i did experience some slowdown in later levels- might be an optimisation thing that gets sorted soon tho.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

melon cat posted:

Has it gotten to the point where a Steam Deck can fully replace a gaming PC if you're a casual gamer?

Because I only game every now and then. I was considering a new PC build but felt like it was buying a Corvette for going to the grocery store. I might buy a few games on sale on Steam and really don't like online gaming as much as I used to. So I was thinking of getting an iMac as a "daily driver" computer and a Steam Deck for all of my gaming needs.

Good idea or bad idea?

It depends of you care about framerate/ graphical fidelity in newer (and sometimes older) games. You can find a lot of info online about how you can play the latest triple a game on it but usually it doesnt mean you should- although they often run just fine (at 30-45 fps and a couple hours battery) .

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I wonder how well the Switch port of D3 works on the deck. It’d be the way to go if it ran at full speed.
People itt say that's the version to play but idk haven't tried, no seasons is unappealing to me. I'd be more inclined to get a hosed up input map going if i wanted to play D3 on the deck personally.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

homeless snail posted:

People itt say that's the version to play but idk haven't tried, no seasons is unappealing to me. I'd be more inclined to get a hosed up input map going if i wanted to play D3 on the deck personally.

D3 on the Switch has seasons

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Not if you're emulating it on the deck, no online.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh, lame. I found one guy on Reddit saying he played the emulated version with seasons on the Deck but it’s Reddit

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So Elden ring even with the cryobyte stuff can’t get a locked 40 right?

Edit: I’ll just leave it at a locked 30 as it looks pretty good and 40 isn’t stable enough

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 25, 2023

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Figures the two games I wanted to set up Moonlight for (MCC and Vampire Survivors) don't work! Also read that Gamestream is set to be eliminated sometime around now, which is unfortunate. Despite not working for me yet, the idea and execution of moonlight (if it works) is super cool.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

P
A
R
S
E
C

Trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

PageMaster posted:

Figures the two games I wanted to set up Moonlight for (MCC and Vampire Survivors) don't work! Also read that Gamestream is set to be eliminated sometime around now, which is unfortunate. Despite not working for me yet, the idea and execution of moonlight (if it works) is super cool.

Add the Gamestream 1080 desktop plugin to your GeForce shield options . Then just open up any game you want from your desktop remotely.