Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

people played coh for the single player?

granted the panzer elite were an unbalanced mess in mp

I only play strategy games for the campaign...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

HallelujahLee posted:

is empire earth the one where theres a soviet campaign and you conquer the world if its that one then yeah that was great

EE is the one where in the Russian campaign you play as an Orthodox dictator with a giant robot he named after himself, the robot then becomes evil and invades China after the death of the original dictator guy and you then play as a cyborg guy who defects to the US. The US then sends the cyborg guy back in time to defeat the giant robot before he's too powerful but the giant robot already travelled back in time to defeat you before you defeat him.

It's insane and I love it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Mantis42 posted:

I only play strategy games for the campaign...

:same:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pretty deep into the italian campaign, went to go get tacos, and the program was closed when i got back, no error message. let's see if it autosaves!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Endman posted:

EE is the one where in the Russian campaign you play as an Orthodox dictator with a giant robot he named after himself, the robot then becomes evil and invades China after the death of the original dictator guy and you then play as a cyborg guy who defects to the US. The US then sends the cyborg guy back in time to defeat the giant robot before he's too powerful but the giant robot already travelled back in time to defeat you before you defeat him.

It's insane and I love it.

lol i remember this now

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

i say swears online posted:

pretty deep into the italian campaign, went to go get tacos, and the program was closed when i got back, no error message. let's see if it autosaves!

wouldnt have closed if you got pizza

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

saved completed missions but made me start over from the one i had a couple hours in

Cuttlefush posted:

wouldnt have closed if you got pizza

son of a bitch

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'd like to point out how well-coded Against The Storm is for an early-access game compared to this

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I only played coh multiplayer with friends and it's the one game besides league of legends that made everyone want to punch walls.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Minenfeld! posted:

I only played coh multiplayer with friends and it's the one game besides league of legends that made everyone want to punch walls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1VV1p4NIVY

It is still just as relevant today

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
have not thought about myg0t in a long rear end time

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

I also did this and the Germans, who I always played as, were just ridiculously OP, it always ended with my mates making an AT gun fort + heavily abusing the BAR's bullshit mechanic

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
C0H's meta is kinda crazy in how one dimensional it was. I've heard CoH2 is better in terms of balance but I really disliked how the game looked and played.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
coh is about setting demo charges on flags to blow up people who fall for it every time

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

enemy at the gates was so poo poo it makes me mad to this day, and its impossible to talk about the eastern front with someone without people referencing some of the poo poo that appeared in that film

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the true coh strategy was to let it’s poo poo pathing direct retreating squads of infantry to underneath hostile tank treads

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
trying to teach myself Cubra LIbre because ive been thinking about trying to run a COIN forum game for CSPAM... a lot to keep track of though..

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The time I ran it I just used DMs and Vassal, but I also narrated and wrote out every single card for the game. It was a lot of work

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

The time I ran it I just used DMs and Vassal, but I also narrated and wrote out every single card for the game. It was a lot of work

that was a good 2/3 of a game though

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tekopo posted:

enemy at the gates was so poo poo it makes me mad to this day, and its impossible to talk about the eastern front with someone without people referencing some of the poo poo that appeared in that film

It’s never been explained to me why it wouldn’t be more useful to have people without rifles doing something else lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think the actual answer is that the historical source its drawing from is a soviet officer complaining that they didn't have enough rifles for an attack, except irl that meant they had to delay the attack while waiting for supplies instead of sending everyone to get slaughtered for no reason

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the true coh strategy was to let it’s poo poo pathing direct retreating squads of infantry to underneath hostile tank treads

We used the pionier bullshit where if you set up tank traps and put one point of HP into them they act as fully constructed to trap a Brit player's HQ truck in the first minute of a match and made them rage quit.

The game was dumb

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Raskolnikov38 posted:

relic fixed that :(

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lol that most of the bugs you guys mentioned were fixed for coh2 and most of the coh2 bugs are fixed for coh3.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lol like I played coh2, saw they removed cap points and I said gently caress that noise

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

I think the actual answer is that the historical source its drawing from is a soviet officer complaining that they didn't have enough rifles for an attack, except irl that meant they had to delay the attack while waiting for supplies instead of sending everyone to get slaughtered for no reason

It was literally a thingz except it was tbe Tarist army in World War 1

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol like I played coh2, saw they removed cap points and I said gently caress that noise

eh, I liked you could choose between fuel and muni dumps but yeah cap points are back now. The game feels more like a refinement of COH1 with some stuff from 2.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

giddamn the italian campaign is Large

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tekopo posted:

My next step was to check out TG to see if you guys had run it. I figured it'd be a lot of work even without transcribing, much respect for that level of effort.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

when I get a general to 100% reputation I can date them right

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

John Charity Spring posted:

Company of Heroes has always been pretty heavily into the myths of the elite wehrmacht and invincible German tanks and all the rest of the baggage that goes with popular western WW2 history. The first one was a great RTS in spite of that, the second lost the spark and had a very... Canadian... perspective on the USSR to boot (the campaign was all Soviet war crimes and the Germans were squeaky clean even though it was from the Soviet perspective lol).

I'm enjoying 3 a lot though. The campaign map remains clunky but I like what they're doing mechanically. It's sort of funny that their Band of Brothers ripoff title in the first game has committed them to making you move "companies" around on the map though, even though they behave more like battalions if not a higher level formation.

It's a fun game, I used to love close combat growing up although the 2nd games campaign is 100% nazi apologia.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

been playing total war attlia and pretending im conan the barbarian

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
My favorite part of COH2 posting were a bunch of people circlejerking over Steel Division 1 and 2 as the future and lol

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

im on mission 3 of the africa corps one and yes its starting to become obvious they are making excuses for the nazis

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

My favorite part of COH2 posting were a bunch of people circlejerking over Steel Division 1 and 2 as the future and lol

steel division 1 was fun as hell

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Didn’t DAK deport the French Jews living in North Africa?

Apparently so The Holocaust and North Africa

The Holocaust is usually understood as a European story. Yet, this pivotal episode unfolded across North Africa and reverberated through politics, literature, memoir, and memory—Muslim as well as Jewish—in the post-war years. The Holocaust and North Africa offers the first English-language study of the unfolding events in North Africa, pushing at the boundaries of Holocaust Studies and North African Studies, and suggesting, powerfully, that neither is complete without the other.

The essays in this volume reconstruct the implementation of race laws and forced labor across the Maghreb during World War II and consider the Holocaust as a North African local affair, which took diverse form from town to town and city to city. They explore how the Holocaust ruptured Muslim–Jewish relations, setting the stage for an entirely new post-war reality. Commentaries by leading scholars of Holocaust history complete the picture, reflecting on why the history of the Holocaust and North Africa has been so widely ignored—and what we have to gain by understanding it in all its nuances.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Raskolnikov38 posted:

steel division 1 was fun as hell

yeah but the games are fundamentally different from company of heroes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

RUSE was amazing

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Didn’t DAK deport the French Jews living in North Africa?

Apparently so The Holocaust and North Africa

The Holocaust is usually understood as a European story. Yet, this pivotal episode unfolded across North Africa and reverberated through politics, literature, memoir, and memory—Muslim as well as Jewish—in the post-war years. The Holocaust and North Africa offers the first English-language study of the unfolding events in North Africa, pushing at the boundaries of Holocaust Studies and North African Studies, and suggesting, powerfully, that neither is complete without the other.

The essays in this volume reconstruct the implementation of race laws and forced labor across the Maghreb during World War II and consider the Holocaust as a North African local affair, which took diverse form from town to town and city to city. They explore how the Holocaust ruptured Muslim–Jewish relations, setting the stage for an entirely new post-war reality. Commentaries by leading scholars of Holocaust history complete the picture, reflecting on why the history of the Holocaust and North Africa has been so widely ignored—and what we have to gain by understanding it in all its nuances.

Yeah but did you hear about that one story with Rommel telling a South African officer to stop being racist???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
just got a pair of loading screens in the Italian campaign that featured a German soldier writing to his brother who's on the eastern front lol. Relic managed to get in weird poo poo about the Soviets even in a game with no Soviets in it

(even if this is comparatively harmless)