Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

steinrokkan posted:

Ukraine is very lucky that it's the largest European country with population that is 1/3 of Russia. If Finland had enjoyed the same advantages, the winter war would have gone very differently.

Indeed. Ukraine today has literally more than 10 times the population of 1939 Finland. If Finland back then had had an army ten times bigger it would have been a very different war indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1629473908112912386
General Syrskyi (The commanding officer who organized the recovery of Kherson) paid a visit to Bakhmut and organized a sitrep with the local commanders.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
What's even left of the VDV in tyool 23?

Anyone remember the classic jumps over the open sea at night in the first weeks?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Power Khan posted:

Anyone remember the classic jumps over the open sea at night in the first weeks?

Crybar reported that by last September, the VDV had suffered 50% irrecoverable casualties in killed and wounded. I can't imagine they're much better off in the months that followed.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Spoggerific posted:

I remember the first few days of the war, when videos started coming out of Russian soldiers, stranded and out of gas, and civilians drove by mocking them. I remember thinking, "Surely this must just be an isolated incident! There's no way that Russia would just let all of their vehicles run out of gas!"

I remember my mind blowing around day 3-4 after watching the footage of dudes already stealing chickens from backyards.

Everyone expected a shock and awe style near peer style invasion and instead we've got a million ways to die on the eastern front.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Sentinel posted:

I remember my mind blowing around day 3-4 after watching the footage of dudes already stealing chickens from backyards.

Everyone expected a shock and awe style near peer style invasion and instead we've got a million ways to die on the eastern front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14gVDF2b1vA

This video was my "oh my god they're just terrible at this" moment. This was day one of the invasion. A Ukrainian drives up to a MT-LB on the side of a highway and shoots the poo poo with some Russians, who tell them they're out of gas. He offers to give them a ride back to the border and everyone has a laugh.

I don't remember where exactly this video is taken - some people figured it out at the time, but it was way less than 100km away from the border. A MT-LB on a full tank of gas can drive around 500 kilometers on road. They crossed the border with like a quarter tank of gas on their AFV. :psyduck:

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Kallikaa posted:

How much impact will mixing the L/55 guns of the a6 with the Swedish ones having the L/44 have in practise?

What about different communication systems, targeting systems and such?
I don't think it will have any impact at all. They can use the same ammo and they have the same "standard" range (the firing computer has a hard maximum of 4km). The trajectory of the shot is flatter for an A6 and the "kinetic dart" ammo will have better penetration. The A4's turret turns faster and smoother, which enables better supporting machine gun fire. The longer cannon and the (geared? - there is a distinct point where the turning speed has a step) electric motor for turning the turret on the A6 have a lot more inertia. This has the effect that when trying to "spray" an area, the cannon can't stay close enough to where it should be pointing, leading to the fire control computer quickly locking and unlocking the MG. You can't fire a long, continuous burst as you can with the A4.

The sights for the gunners are the same. The commander on the A6 has a very nice periscope/thermal sight system that us really, really useful for having some situational awareness.

Communication is the same - one radio for the commander, one for the leader.

Carth Dookie posted:

comms at least should all be NATO standard and able to interact normally. Unsure about the rest but I think sensor fused data might be a bit too modern for what's being given to them, but I admit to knowing precisely nothing about modern tank data share abilities.
As of a bit less than 20 years ago, neither the A4 or the A6 had any kind of multi-unit data transmission except for the radio.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14gVDF2b1vA

This video was my "oh my god they're just terrible at this" moment. This was day one of the invasion. A Ukrainian drives up to a MT-LB on the side of a highway and shoots the poo poo with some Russians, who tell them they're out of gas. He offers to give them a ride back to the border and everyone has a laugh.

I don't remember where exactly this video is taken - some people figured it out at the time, but it was way less than 100km away from the border. A MT-LB on a full tank of gas can drive around 500 kilometers on road. They crossed the border with like a quarter tank of gas on their AFV. :psyduck:

Yeah, this is the video I was talking about. I didn't bother looking up where it was taken, but I saw multiple tanks out of gas in the same video and went wait, what? how? :psyduck:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It’s still wild to me how Trent telenko went from tire aficionado poopooing Russian vehicles to milkshake duck over being a stop the stealer

Like how did that even woke

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
So uh...

Slava Ukraine!

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

psydude posted:

At the beginning of the war they were sending OMON/Rosgvardia (other police forces) ahead with the other main bodies and they were all getting slaughtered.

I guess they found out the job kind of sucks when they aren't just beating and arresting unarmed protesters.

I remember a video of the aftermath of one of those groups getting whacked. There were piles of riot shields and other police gear and no real military gear beyond the BMP or whatever it was that was transporting them. They were absolute sitting ducks.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

yeah after the first month or so we thought they were speedrunning soviet losses in afghanistan but they were actually speedrunning us losses in vietnam

With their current strategy of attrition they are speed running American casualties in the ACW.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
When you're fighting in the cold season and you forgot to bring...anything. Just fill our BMPs with leaves until it's cozy

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Alchenar posted:

I knew the Russians were poo poo, but I assumed they were leveraging their mass to fix Ukraine's reserves while going for a big envelopment of the East, followed by a frontline stabilising on the Dnieper and peace talks with Kyiv under Russian guns on the East bank. You don't have to be good as long as you fight around the amount of firepower they had going on.

This is essentially what they tried. They opened with four fronts.

One pushing south west to grab the land to Sevastopol and potentially all the way to Romania. One pushing directly west from Luhansk and Donetsk presumably to the Dniepro. One pushing south through Kharkiv with the apparent intent to envelop the static forces that had been defending the 2014 front line and pinned in place by the forces attacking there.

The assault on Kyiv, if successful, would have facilitated all that by disrupting command and control and political will to resist and coordinate external aid.

It was a highly ambitious plan that in hindsight had all kinds of obvious issues and relied on wishful thinking. An unsupported flying column to relieve an airborne assault hundreds of km into enemy territory? Bypassing a major metropolitan area (Kharkiv) to make advances could be okay except for the heavily armed defenders being directly on your LOC? The highly suspect readiness of the units and equipment key to the assault.
? The less than shock and awe opening that left most of Ukraines air forces and C&C intact?

And so many more.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Spoggerific posted:

Yeah, this is the video I was talking about. I didn't bother looking up where it was taken, but I saw multiple tanks out of gas in the same video and went wait, what? how? :psyduck:

They probably had full tanks but spent a lot of time idling. That'll run you dry, and it'll happen a lot if your tactical leadership is poorly trained and keeps getting lost or waiting for a blocking force to be dealt with.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

mllaneza posted:

They probably had full tanks but spent a lot of time idling. That'll run you dry, and it'll happen a lot if your tactical leadership is poorly trained and keeps getting lost or waiting for a blocking force to be dealt with.

Or if they were never full to begin with, and the “excess” was sold off to help pay for their commander’s latest trip abroad pre-war.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1629484774501777410?s=20
A warm welcome to all GBS refugees. Sorry your thread got annexed by Russia.

Power Khan posted:

There were a lot of bullshit stories in the early days. I think that was one of them. My favorite was that the crews of the landing craft that were supposed to take Odesa mutinied. I never saw any confirmation of mobile crematoriums either.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My old unit trained heavily in airborne/heliborne airport/airhead/port seizures. The moment I saw the VDV assault on Hostomel, I knew Russia was screwed. They did everything wrong, and if this was the elite units, there was no hope that their Regular Army would be even close to competent.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My old unit trained heavily in airborne/heliborne airport/airhead/port seizures. The moment I saw the VDV assault on Hostomel, I knew Russia was screwed. They did everything wrong, and if this was the elite units, there was no hope that their Regular Army would be even close to competent.

I'm a civvy with no idea of such nuances but what stood out to you in that fiasco?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Just Another Lurker posted:

I'm a civvy with no idea of such nuances but what stood out to you in that fiasco?

Warm take: Even the people who train for that poo poo all day in well funded armies would likely get rolled most of the time, because having a bunch of very lightly armed people show up behind enemy lines and then hope to god the heavy formations show up to rescue them from their self-induced problems is the kind of operation that sounds cool, but requires so many things to go exactly right in practice.

Sometimes in US wargames they just make those operations off-limits above a very limited scope, because they get tired of people spending all day planning it and then either scrapping the plan or executing then getting all boohoo mad when the simulation says it failed.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The fact that a CNN news team managed to approach them and film them right outside Hostomel was rather surreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_3L0z1lgAE

EDIT:

The whole Hostomel plan was Operation Market Garden 2: The Sowing Of Sunflowers

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Warm take: Even the people who train for that poo poo all day in well funded armies would likely get rolled most of the time, because having a bunch of very lightly armed people show up behind enemy lines and then hope to god the heavy formations show up to rescue them from their self-induced problems is the kind of operation that sounds cool, but requires so many things to go exactly right in practice.

Sometimes in US wargames they just make those operations off-limits above a very limited scope, because they get tired of people spending all day planning it and then either scrapping the plan or executing then getting all boohoo mad when the simulation says it failed.

If you leave a Para officer unattended for five minutes he will be pitching a half dozen op concepts to get his unit wiped out by the time you get back.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Fragrag posted:

The fact that a CNN news team managed to approach them and film them right outside Hostomel was rather surreal.

EDIT:

It was that and Crete rolled up into one.

Crete only worked because the British let the Germans take the airfield thinking they needed to be more worried about a seaborne assault. Which, welp.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Just Another Lurker posted:

The thing about airhead takeovers is you have to make absolutely certain that any anti-air is completely out of the picture, and that you have heavy reinforcements immediately behind you. Russia sucked at both.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The thing about airhead takeovers is you have to make absolutely certain that any anti-air is completely out of the picture, and that you have heavy reinforcements immediately behind you. Russia sucked at both.

IDK these guys seemed to pull it off with neither.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Handsome Ralph posted:

IDK these guys seemed to pull it off with neither.

They were quickly encircled and eventually surrendered after a botched last stand

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

kill me now posted:

They were quickly encircled and eventually surrendered after a botched last stand

They still achieved their objective. They wanted airplay and a record deal, and they got both. So mission accomplished, which is far more than the VDV got.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Thanks for all the info replies. :tipshat:

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Weren't the Russians expecting a lot more help from Ukrainian collaborators in the beginning? I recall hearing about how they were planning something similar to how the ANSF surrendered to the Taliban but then none of it actually came to fruition. They were expecting to mostly skip the fighting part and go straight to occupation but then everything went to poo poo immediately because it turned out the Ukrainians actually brought their guns to the gun fight.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm shocked at how pathetically bad this is.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Fragrag posted:

EDIT:

A Blyat Too Far

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bees everywhere posted:

Weren't the Russians expecting a lot more help from Ukrainian collaborators in the beginning? I recall hearing about how they were planning something similar to how the ANSF surrendered to the Taliban but then none of it actually came to fruition. They were expecting to mostly skip the fighting part and go straight to occupation but then everything went to poo poo immediately because it turned out the Ukrainians actually brought their guns to the gun fight.

The FSB spent a ton of cash to bribe people and thought that their efforts would result in a lot of friendly support, turns out that most of them just took the cash and told them what they wanted to hear. And then the FSB told the guy up top what he wanted to hear.

I wonder even now how much accurate info gets to the top about the current state or the war.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

The FSB spent a ton of cash to bribe people and thought that their efforts would result in a lot of friendly support, turns out that most of them just took the cash and told them what they wanted to hear. And then the FSB told the guy up top what he wanted to hear.

I wonder even now how much accurate info gets to the top about the current state or the war.

Which is also why a lot of the western intel on the state of the Russian military was off, because they were obtaining and passing on the lies.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Handsome Ralph posted:

It was that and Crete rolled up into one.

Crete only worked because the British let the Germans take the airfield thinking they needed to be more worried about a seaborne assault. Which, welp.

I looked up the Battle of Crete, and wow it went horribly wrong for the Germans the first day :stare:

"Wikipedia posted:

The Germans suffered many casualties in the first hours of the invasion: a company of III Battalion, 1st Assault Regiment lost 112 killed out of 126 men, and 400 of 600 men in III Battalion were killed on the first day.[45]

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

A lot of FSBs officers were arrested when it turned out they just kept the bribe money and made up the reports about having friendly militias waiting for the VDV to drop in.

https://www.jpost.com/international/article-701772

https://tvpworld.com/59577307/putin-purges-150-fsb-officers

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/27/the-double-sting

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

quote:

"Normally, money laundering is about making dirty money clean. But this market, you could say, takes clean money and makes it dirty.”

russia.txt

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Alchenar posted:

RUSI still has the best report on this: https://rusi.org/explore-our-resear...ruary-july-2022

e: direct link to the full report, because it's a really good piece of work: https://static.rusi.org/359-SR-Ukraine-Preliminary-Lessons-Feb-July-2022-web-final.pdf

Other juicy bits:

One of the few things that basically no one got right (including the people who otherwise nailed the pre-war predictions) was the Russian push through Chernobyl. That deception well and truly worked.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1629547955232423937?t=t5heTUAAw1-SfZHlOmAh1Q&s=19

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Any day now, any day, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

If a withdrawal is required i hope they do it before the road to Khromove is taken.