Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

Also of note is that the previous Canto dancers all had a cost for it. In 4 giving your dancer the ring meant no one else could hold it, and in the radiant games herons only had Canto when transformed.

Now granted it was pretty easy to keep them transformed, so they're probably the strongest dancers in the series, but seadall is notable for for getting Canto all the time and not at the expense of much else(I can't really argue for any skills before it anyways)

iirc it’s only in RD that the herons have Canto when transformed. I always give Reyson the Knight Ring in PoR and in my memory that’s because he actually doesn’t have Canto when transformed in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

cheetah7071 posted:

lucina goes on your weakest combat unit cause she doesn't really scale with unit quality at all

but alear makes better use of non-lucina rings?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

hopeandjoy posted:

iirc it’s only in RD that the herons have Canto when transformed. I always give Reyson the Knight Ring in PoR and in my memory that’s because he actually doesn’t have Canto when transformed in that game.

He does... but only because Canto is what they called Galdr in PoR for some reason :V

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah this is correct. In RD, Leanne always has Canto and Rafael never does as well. In conclusion, Herons are complicated.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ungulateman posted:

but alear makes better use of non-lucina rings?

If your Alear isn’t a murder machine, you might be doing something wrong tbh

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

These interactive maps with enemy stats are really interesting: https://fe17.triangleattack.com/maps

Specifically, I had no idea how many bosses have identical stats on Hard and Maddening. Obviously they get Veteran+ on Maddening and not on Hard but their actual numerical stats are often not that far off. Sometimes they are, but, for example, all of the Chapter 17 bosses have identical stats on Hard and Maddening. It's everything around them that makes the difference. That's kind of neat.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Alear's unlikely to be a murder machine on fixed growths (which are required for a first Maddening run)--their combat stats are solidly mid. They can be good if you feed them stat boosters or if you have the DLC and use Starsphere or put them in a class like Wyvern Knight, but they also don't really need to because Dragon support is so valuable.

That said I like it when my main character is great at combat so I do all that anyway :v:

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

An average Alear at 10/20 Divine Dragon is 20.95 STR, 26.7 SPD and 21.35 DEF. An average Lapis 10/20 Wyvern Knight is 23.8 STR, 26.95 SPD, 20.8 DEF. Meanwhile, for comparison to someone generally agreed to be a combat monster, Kagetsu is 27.3/28.2/24.8 at 15/15 Wyvern Knight. (The 15/ is based off his internal level.)

So Alear's okay. Solid, not amazing, and since two of the better uses of the Dragon type don't give EXP (Dragon Vein, Instruct), it's easy for them to fall behind and therefore become actually kind of bad. (The fact both of those give magical stat boosts and therefore don't really improve their combat does not help.) Also doesn't help that Swords + Fists is not a great weapon combo for someone who is notably average or below average in Strength and with a bad Magic stat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On this topic, I actually really love Alear's design as a unit for gameplay purposes. They're not insanely powerful like Robin or Corrin could become, but instead they have a kind of utility that means they're going to be valuable even if they get stat screwed. That's pretty great for a main character I think--it's nice that even if you're on RNG growths and you just get garbage level ups, your main character is still going to be really useful in battles.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
in particular my alear is barely cracking double digits in any stat after promoting at level 11

except for build

he has 12 build for some reason

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ungulateman posted:

in particular my alear is barely cracking double digits in any stat after promoting at level 11

except for build

Ah, he's on the Boucheron workout plan I see

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

These interactive maps with enemy stats are really interesting: https://fe17.triangleattack.com/maps

Specifically, I had no idea how many bosses have identical stats on Hard and Maddening. Obviously they get Veteran+ on Maddening and not on Hard but their actual numerical stats are often not that far off. Sometimes they are, but, for example, all of the Chapter 17 bosses have identical stats on Hard and Maddening. It's everything around them that makes the difference. That's kind of neat.

Yeah, I was clicking through some maps and was like “huh the bosses don’t seem that much harder, I guess the lack of EXP is the real killer”. Then I saw the stats on a generic Chapter 19 Wolf Knight. :stare:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, I was clicking through some maps and was like “huh the bosses don’t seem that much harder, I guess the lack of EXP is the real killer”. Then I saw the stats on a generic Chapter 19 Wolf Knight. :stare:

there's a reason I keep bringing up wolf knights

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ungulateman posted:

except for build

The boy wants the biggest weapons you have.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wolf knights were so awful to fight compared to literally everything else. Good damage, doubled pretty much everyone not on a speed taker binge, and dropped poison stacks to boot.

Although the poison stacks would have been less intimidating if I wasn't stubbornly refusing to use restore. I needed that inventory slot for all the really good staves!

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
I considered swapping generally-regarded-as-spoiler-character #1 into Martial Master, and realized just how much of a stat penalty that class takes, both in bases and growths. I guess they didn't want you running around with a party of Qi Adepts.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I guess they gutted MM's Spd because they wanted them to be primarily support, but it does suck that the only class that has access to Flashing Fist Art also has poor offensive stats.

Enchanter (the Fist/Dagger DLC class) also looks like they're supposed to be support, but maybe they will have good Speed, and then you can just force them into a combat role using Eirika.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

I think Martial Master is a victim of the interaction with Eirika's Lunar Brace, mostly. A good MM with a high-Bond Eirika and a high-forge Flashing Fist Art is one of the more reliable ways to do serious damage even without quadding, and if you inherit Alacrity on them then they can punch right through Generals and Great Knights with impunity. You just can't have two of them unless you're willing to shell out the 3000 SP to put Lunar Brace on the second one, and even then they won't have the +3/+5 from Bravery/Bravery+. But hey, when your Eirika MM Engages they'll get Eclipse Brace right along with her, at least!

I think this is the best argument for using Chloe as your Martial Master: keep her in a flying class until after chapter 17 and you skip all of the classes awkward period and get a Martial Master just as they really take off, and by that point you can have plenty of other fliers. Her personal skill is great for the class, too. She's got a nice high +3 Speed cap too, so she won't cap out on that before you finish the campaign.

Late character spoiler: If you got the DLC and you don't mind using the items, you can drop the 500 SP book on Mauvier, class change him to Martial Master, buy the other Flashing Fist Art in the shops and forge it up, inherit Lunar Brace, and give him Edelgard. Weapon Sync+ works regardless of the weapon when Engaged, so it becomes Bravery++. You do get much less out of Failnaught this way and Houses Unite does lose a lot of its teeth, but it's the fastest way to get a good second MM. Shame about his personal -2 Speed cap bringing it down to 26, and that Edelgard's Bracelet doesn't improve that stat... But the benefit of having a non-Eirika MM is that they can use Engage+ much better, since it doesn't take Lunar Brace away from them. Do lose Weapon Sync, though, and not as good at Bond Blast, so it's kind of a wash.

Einander fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 24, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

posadas posted:

I considered swapping generally-regarded-as-spoiler-character #1 into Martial Master, and realized just how much of a stat penalty that class takes, both in bases and growths. I guess they didn't want you running around with a party of Qi Adepts.

Even though it does hurt their overall stats, they still kick a lot of rear end as a Martial Master.

If you want to reclass them (you should, their starting class is pretty blah) and you don't want Martial Master, other good options are Sage or Mage Knight. Their stats lean more towards magic than strength and if you reclass them to either of those they'll instantly become a very competent caster with almost certainly better physical bulk than any of your other mages and enough Build to not be weighed down much by heavier tomes.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 24, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like this is something a lot of people will disagree with, but I'm starting to really like running Byleth on a Covert unit. Sure, they don't get Rally Spectrum and this means a mage doesn't get Thyrsus, but Failnaught is a pretty solid Engage weapon and being able to rally (or dance) for +5 Speed is fantastic. It's one of the more impactful stats you can buff, and +5 is a really significant boost. Plus it frees up Alear to run something else (like Corrin or Lucina).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Corrin Alear is IMO stronger than Byleth Alear, but why Lucina? If you want bonded shields qi adept does that job better, and if you want to use Lucina as an extra backup you want someone with knives.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

Corrin Alear is IMO stronger than Byleth Alear, but why Lucina? If you want bonded shields qi adept does that job better, and if you want to use Lucina as an extra backup you want someone with knives.

Mostly because 90% Bonded Shield is still pretty great (or you could go Flier Squad with a griffin/wyvern Alear and have 100% bonded shield with a group of fliers), and Qi Adepts could also run Eirika for crazy punch damage. But really I don't tend to glue emblem rings to anyone but a few units and tend to move them around battle by battle depending on what seems useful.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Big reason to do Lucina on Alear is alears personal works well with bonded shield with giving +3 damage and they’re a little sturdier than most qi adepts. It also combines okay with your chain guard, and if you’re using staves a lot your martial master probably had something to do on a turn anyways, but alear does a lot of just applying their aura.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Really I think Alear does well with any of the Utility Emblems tbh

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
There's enough emblems (especially with DLC) that it's not necessarily assumed you'd run one thing on one person. I like Byleth on coverts quite a bit, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RME posted:

Really I think Alear does well with any of the Utility Emblems tbh

Yeah, I've said it before but I really like that this is their niche. It's a cool role for a Fire Emblem main character to be a super valuable support who's really useful even if their stats don't turn out.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It also makes them feel more... Idk leaderly? It's subtle but a nice little gameplay element when your leader character is supporting the others or helping control the battlefield.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

RME posted:

Big reason to do Lucina on Alear is alears personal works well with bonded shield with giving +3 damage and they’re a little sturdier than most qi adepts. It also combines okay with your chain guard, and if you’re using staves a lot your martial master probably had something to do on a turn anyways, but alear does a lot of just applying their aura.

Also Lucina gives bonus avoid based on support level, and Alear has supports with literally everyone. I don't think anyone can match their durability as a bond shielder.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I upgraded alear from dragon kid to dragon adult and I think I'll upgrade anna next to berserker, she technically so far has better stats than boucheron

how rare are these master seals? i also see second seals

also I'm starting chapter 8 now, how do I get more bond fragments? I feel like I'm doing everything I can possibly do between each mission and I go to merge some bond rings or summon them and it's a massive sink

also gently caress YEAH ROY showed up I hope I don't get them stolen or whatever before having the chance to use him

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
The first three or so Master Seals are slowly allocated, but eventually around Ch13-14 they’ll be more widely available in the shop.

You can get bond fragments from playing with Sommie, after battles, and probably most importantly by checking the achievement board. If you haven’t done this yet you prob have a big drop waiting for you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

also I'm starting chapter 8 now, how do I get more bond fragments? I feel like I'm doing everything I can possibly do between each mission and I go to merge some bond rings or summon them and it's a massive sink

Are you checking the achievement board between every map? That's where most of them come from.

Also I would recommend not merging bond rings too much. They're not really worth investing that much into. It's more important you just have enough to go around for the people you don't have emblem rings for. There are a few really, really good S-rank bond rings but they're rare enough that they'll cost you a ridiculous amount of bond fragments if you're not save scumming/RNG abusing for them, and you'll get through the game just fine without them (I know because I did).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, until I caught up to the thread i didn't even know you could draw s rank rings or that s ranks explicitly got fun skills attached(but only some of them, hope you didnt invest in a dud one).

Or that bond rings only got half sp because 99% of them being comically inferior to engage rings wasn't enough.

The whole system is just weird, expensive, and generally wildly inferior to the cool kids rings.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I'm actually running out of Bond Shards fairly regularly on this Maddening run, just because I'm using them to level Bonds up for bonuses on their intended bearers instead of just for inheritance. But I'm being very liberal with the spending on that, so you can do that pretty often and not run out so long as you're not really going hog wild and you're not spending too many on Bond rings.

Alacrity on a fast Martial Monk running Flashing Fist and Eirika is really good. It's nice to see Chloe flattening axe wielders and armors without any danger whatsoever, especially since that lets me put Eirika's Engrave on her. Not many people want to risk -20 Avoid and -20 Evade, but +40 Hit and +20 Crit without a Might penalty is really good! Especially since she has the Luck to keep the enemy critical rates from being too high during the few times I do let her get hit.

I really enjoyed the flow of Chapter 21, once I had a sense of how the reinforcements worked turn-wise; they give you just enough time to get to the end, circle the wagons, and take out the pursuing reinforcements and start attacking the boss before you get to the "just end it already" constant reinforcement waves. That was some good timing work! Chapter 22 sucks on a replay, though. Losing the Engage option for a fight really hurts some characters that depend on the Engage side of things, like many Ike users. Gameplay-wise losing that tool without any compensation just made everything less fun for me without the novelty of the story explanation for it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Master seals basically matter entirely on your final roster spots. On my maddening run, I barely used my seals because I used like 1 character pre-Ivy.

On my "use everyone else" run, that happened to be literally everyone before Ivy and almost no one after Ivy so I ran out of money quick just buying seals.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

Are you checking the achievement board between every map? That's where most of them come from.

RIP then lol

about to start chapter 9

it's hard to not just use your favorites

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just picked this game up as I really enjoyed 3 houses. I have one question though. Is it worth turning on "dead is dead?" I always played with it off in 3 houses because I didn't like that if a character "died" in battle they just became unusable but still showed up at the monastery.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

honestly you have so many rewinds (i even thought they were unlimited for a while, but you get 10 specifically) and if it really proves too much you can turn it off mid run so i would definitely suggest trying it out at first

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jadebullet posted:

Just picked this game up as I really enjoyed 3 houses. I have one question though. Is it worth turning on "dead is dead?" I always played with it off in 3 houses because I didn't like that if a character "died" in battle they just became unusable but still showed up at the monastery.

It's ultimately a personal choice. Classic is still somewhat forgiving because even on hard/maddening you get 10 time rewinds per stage, but demands a certain level of care with your positioning and restricts you from using characters sacrificially. Casual means that you can let people die with no real consequences beyond losing access to them for the rest of the stage, which opens up approaches that aren't possible otherwise like suicide baits or just hurling characters in to get damage in on targets. Your only lose condition becomes "the protagonist dies", which relaxes the game difficulty by a lot.

In Engage, even on classic, you still have a small selection of characters who will retreat and be permanently wounded if they die in battle, because they need to show up in story cutscenes later.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 26, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jadebullet posted:

this game definitely gives you more characters than your average 3 houses run and there's no weird timeskip issue so it works much more smoothly here, but its still up to you

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Three houses assumes your characters are going to live.

Engage doesn't really give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Be sure you play on Maddening since that's the canon difficulty.