Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Wasn’t Iraq also under crippling sanctions for a decade prior to invasion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
also america couldnt manage iraq because arms and ammor was being funneled to the insurgency by iran, syria, various sunni groups, etc. the initial invasion was successful because iraq was already a completely defeated and starved country from their various disasters sanctionsfrom 1985 -2003

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i think it was a few things maybe

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
lmao

https://twitter.com/ShaheedKM7/status/1629554549378932736

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Sanctions work

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

also america couldnt manage iraq because arms and ammor was being funneled to the insurgency by iran, syria, various sunni groups, etc. the initial invasion was successful because iraq was already a completely defeated and starved country from their various disasters sanctionsfrom 1985 -2003

drat I hope we didn't contribute arms to the insurgents

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

kronix posted:

Yes, it was the evil west that forced Russia to deindustrialize and not corruption and and institutional rot that set in during communism.

Russia hasn't deindustrialized tho? They're still a largely self reliant economy with a big trade surplus.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

wasn’t a nato Air Force bombing Iraq for like 10 years before 2003

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

Wasn't the issue that they blackballed all the Ba'athists who, having nothing left, decided to fight a protracted guerilla war? :thunk:

since when were reality ever a requirement for libs to fantasize about the deaths of other peoples

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

He's right

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

can you elaborate

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

Wasn't the issue that they blackballed all the Ba'athists who, having nothing left, decided to fight a protracted guerilla war? :thunk:

the issue was not only the sunni insurgency it was also that iran and syria kept the americans bogged down in iraq so they wouldnt get invaded next. the only reason the occupation wasnt even worse for the americans was that iran wanted to make sure they had firm control of the country through the shiite sectarian parties so they didnt rock the boat too much

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Horseshoe theory posted:

de-ba'athification hollowed out the entire iraqi civil apparatus because it purged anyone with a ba'ath party membership (basically everyone who wants to work a government job) and that included every low level civil service workers like clerks and secretaries

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

celadon posted:

Wasn’t Iraq also under crippling sanctions for a decade prior to invasion?

to be fair to the comparison, Ukraine has been under IMF policy for almost a decade

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Glad to hear you're still alive, Madeleine!

quote:

Lesley Stahl: We have heard that half a million children have died. I mean, that's more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?
Madeleine Albright: I think this is a very hard choice, but the price—we think the price is worth it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

don’t gently caress with British petroleum

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

can you elaborate

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Horseshoe theory posted:

That's fair, but otoh what's going to be left for the azov guys after the war is over? Their manufacturing base is captured or demolished or both. If ukraine doesn't throw in the towel before odessa is taken, what's left except guerilla war? Obviously if they only hold crimea, the republics, and a land bridge, russia doesn't have that much to worry about, but if they set up a DMZ or buffer zone, or they hold odessa to annihilate ukraine's economy, that's not going to be a pleasant place to hang out. I guess at a certain point a high enough percentage of the economy consists of military-age men going overseas to send home remittances and you don't have to worry all that much.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

do you think Iraq happens today ? the USA is so much weaker comparatively.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

500 good dogs posted:

I realize you're a lazy troll but do you understand the demographics of the DPR/LPR?

Yes I’m aware of the demographics. I’m also aware that the folks from those areas were among the first to get thrown to the wolves and amongst the least equipped.

I’m also aware that Russia has been dealing with Government officials getting killed by car bombs in the DNR/LPR.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol they also put libertarian interns in charge of whole Iraqi ministries.

Truly the biggest brains were in charge

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

by the time iraq was invaded by america it had gone through

eight years of war with iran

a complete and total destruction of its infrastructure and military because of saddams stupid invasion of Kuwait

12 years of complete starvation sanctions

the 2003 invasion was basically finishing off a dead country

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Starting to think this iraq comparison might not be so great

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Starting to think this iraq comparison might not be so great

bring back the guy who keeps making us civil war comparisons

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wasn’t Kuwait Iraq at one point

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

A peaceful protest with real material impact. Awesome.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

speng31b posted:

bring back the guy who keeps making us civil war comparisons

bring back epic anarchist orc stomper guy

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

yellowcar posted:

de-ba'athification hollowed out the entire iraqi civil apparatus because it purged anyone with a ba'ath party membership (basically everyone who wants to work a government job) and that included every low level civil service workers like clerks and secretaries

You could say this is the exact opposite of what Russia is trying where they keep around any piece of poo poo willing to work with them no matter how much the locals hated them or how useless they were.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

euphronius posted:

do you think Iraq happens today ? the USA is so much weaker comparatively.

I wouldn't have thought the rhetoric would work again but after seeing everyone go for the ukraine rhetoric I think probably it would.

Anyway, iraqis still wouldn't have the necessary weapons to blow up american tanks or or planes consistently so yeah certainly.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

wasn’t Kuwait Iraq at one point

modern kuwait has been around in one form or another since 1899 or so

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

You could say this is the exact opposite of what Russia is trying where they keep around any piece of poo poo willing to work with them no matter how much the locals hated them or how useless they were.

horseshoe theory

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

20-something year old college republicans at that lmao

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
sanctions are ftw because you can kill civilians with just some rows in a spreadsheet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the us still has juan guaido tucked away somewhere right

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BenStiller/status/1629570083830878215?s=20

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Frosted Flake posted:

that worked incredibly well though. not for iraq, but kellog and root plus all the others made out like loving bandits.

war is just the profit motive by other means.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Al! posted:

the us still has juan guaido tucked away somewhere right

nah they actually gave up on him

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
your typical eastern europe expert

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1629522228982185985

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr